Menu

Someone please help!! Kindgergarten Curriculum...ughhh!!

Homemaker

Alright.. I have made it a goal to be decided on the curriculm for my 1st year of homeschooling my kindergarten by the homeschooling fair this weekend where they will have all the venders. Please help! Part of me thinks I want to do Sonlight Core and language arts, Abeka math and Handwriting, bible and character training. And then another part of me thinks that is ridicuolus for a kindergarten and I should just keep doing what I am doing now, a little bit of workbooks and lots of reading books to her and practicing her reading (I used 100 Easy lessons). We seriously spend like 20 minutes doing "school" a day.

What does the WTM book say?? I read a copy from the library, so I don't have it right now.

WTM says short (like 10 min) phonics sessions, workbooks in moderation if they like them but many Kers don't have the phonics skills, and read, read, read and talk, talk, talk to them. Start math if you want to, but it's not necessary for K. (According to the book).

So do whatever is fun for K for you both, but don't feel pressured to pick a curriculum or stick to a schedule.

WTM says to:

work on them learning to read with a phonics based program

do math as games and everyday learning opportunities arise

can start a handwriting program, but don't limit your reading to what they can write

read to them - often

fun science activities if you want

Alright.. I have made it a goal to be decided on the curriculm for my 1st year of homeschooling my kindergarten by the homeschooling fair this weekend where they will have all the venders. Please help! Part of me thinks I want to do Sonlight Core and language arts, Abeka math and Handwriting, bible and character training. And then another part of me thinks that is ridicuolus for a kindergarten and I should just keep doing what I am doing now, a little bit of workbooks and lots of reading books to her and practicing her reading (I used 100 Easy lessons). We seriously spend like 20 minutes doing "school" a day.

What does the WTM book say?? I read a copy from the library, so I don't have it right now.

We used Sonlight's P4/5 for K and it was GREAT! We liked all of the books and the science books are still pulled from the shelf daily. SL provided us with some structure (albeit loose structure) for our school day and I filled it in with math (Horizons and Singapore...adding Miquon later on) and LA (SWR). Once we got those down, we added some other fun things in the mix like art and geography. My goal for the year was for us for ds to improve on his reading and handwriting and for us to enjoy the year together. We far exceeded my expectations on all counts.

Maybe if you solidify your goals for the year, the path will be more clear. :001_smile:

Packaged curriculum for kindy is overkill IMO. :) You ought to have a sturdy phonics course, a handwriting workbook, wood blocks or something else to count, and a library card. For phonics if you want something scripted for you check out Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading from Peace Hill Press. If you don't want scripted, check out Phonics Pathways. Supplements like phonics readers (BOB books, or Now I'm Reading! by Nora Gaydos) and Leapfrog videos are awesome too.

enjoy having your K'er home; work on chores and attitudes, character, have fun and do things together; homeschooling is as much lifestyle as acadamia; read, read, read, visit the library = lots of sonlight recommendations are available through the library; discuss food groups and nutrition while grocery shopping: nature collections and fresh air; drawing,cutting,pasting; letter of the week, phonics, basic reading skills

have fun in your new adventure

Emily in IL

We did Sonlight K with my dd. We did BJU K with my ds. Looking back: raid the reading lists at Sonlight, Winter Promise, and TWTM. Save your money and go to the library. Grab the books when they are available. Read, read, read.

Find a phonics program that works for you and your kids and stick with it.

Do living math: talk about geometry around you: an orange is a sphere, a dice is a cube. Have them help you count out the number of apples you need at the store. If you want a workbook, I did really like BJU K Math - and our family consists of an aerospace engineer and former database developer and programmer. The workbook helps you practice the fine motor skills, let's the student "do school", and is super low key.

I hope this helps and hasn't confused you more.

I agree with the part of you that says that is ridiculous for a kindergartener. lol. Sorry. If you're open to alternative suggestions, I highly recommend Oak Meadow :D (Although I don't think they "do" curriculum fairs and the like).
What's the difference that you see with Sonlight (that makes it ridiculous) and Oak Meadow (which must not be ridiculous)? Just curious.

I think spending as much as either of those programs cost is not needed, especially if you have a library card and a friendly and/or helpful Librarian! You can have a great K program with LOTS of read-alouds, some music, some foreign language, some history-----all from your library! Above posters mentioned some workbooks you can buy cheaply to fill out the program if you like. I'd save your money for higher grades when things cost more! :D

Edited by Brindee

What's the difference that you see with Sonlight (that makes it ridiculous) and Oak Meadow (which must not be ridiculous)? Just curious.

I think spending as much as either of those programs cost is not needed, especially if you have a library card and a friendly and/or helpful Librarian! You can have a great K program with LOTS of read-alouds, some music, some foreign language, some history-----all from your library! Above posters mentioned some workbooks you can buy cheaply to fill out the program if you like. I'd save your money for higher grades when things cost more! :D

I don't understand that one either. I think most people just don't think you need to spend that much on books. But I am a book lover, I have P 3/4, P 4/5 and Core K now. I will own every single book Sonlight has in the end LOL. I adore books, they are never a waste.

I don't understand that one either. I think most people just don't think you need to spend that much on books. But I am a book lover, I have P 3/4, P 4/5 and Core K now. I will own every single book Sonlight has in the end LOL. I adore books, they are never a waste.
One reason I didn't understand it is because Oak Meadows aint cheap itself! That made me curious, if they're really close to the same price, why is one ridiculous and the other one recommended?! :glare::tongue_smilie:

One reason I didn't understand it is because Oak Meadows aint cheap itself! That made me curious, if they're really close to the same price, why is one ridiculous and the other one recommended?! :glare::tongue_smilie:

To me the difference in the two is Sonlight is much more involved, could be called rigorious. Most say that Sonlight K is for 1st grade and my opinion of Oak Meadow K is that it is preschool.

But that is just my opinion. I think Sonlight K is right on target for my kids, except for LA. I just can't wrap my head around the LA, it requires way more writing than any of my children could have handled, even P 4/5 does.

To me the difference in the two is Sonlight is much more involved, could be called rigorious. Most say that Sonlight K is for 1st grade and my opinion of Oak Meadow K is that it is preschool.

But that is just my opinion. I think Sonlight K is right on target for my kids, except for LA. I just can't wrap my head around the LA, it requires way more writing than any of my children could have handled, even P 4/5 does.

That's why it's nice that there are so many curriculums available nowadays--so people can make informed decisions, based on their family and their interests and abilities! :001_smile:

About the writing, my oldest probably would've been able to do that, but my middle guy wasn't interested in anything academic 'til he was almost 7. That wouldn't have worked with that kind of program! :tongue_smilie::D (Course, once he started, he zoomed forward! It just took him longer to get his engine running! :lol:)

That's why it's nice that there are so many curriculums available nowadays--so people can make informed decisions, based on their family and their interests and abilities! :001_smile:

About the writing, my oldest probably would've been able to do that, but my middle guy wasn't interested in anything academic 'til he was almost 7. That wouldn't have worked with that kind of program! :tongue_smilie::D (Course, once he started, he zoomed forward! It just took him longer to get his engine running! :lol:)

Ah ! The beauty of homeschooling. Each child in their own way and their own time. :iagree:

I have a non writer that excells in reading, science and math. We just do everything aloud ! Someday his writing skills will catch up. :lol: :lol:

I have a non writer that excells in reading, science and math. We just do everything aloud ! Someday his writing skills will catch up. :lol: :lol:
:ohmy: Really? That's the way my ds that I was speaking of in my last post is! Exactly! We did a LOT of his work orally, and he did very well at it! (drove his older brother crazy! :lol:)

(Ummm, he's a sophomore in highschool now, and I'm still waiting for those writing skills to catch up!:o)

:ohmy: Really? That's the way my ds that I was speaking of in my last post is! Exactly! We did a LOT of his work orally, and he did very well at it! (drove his older brother crazy! :lol:)

(Ummm, he's a sophomore in highschool now, and I'm still waiting for those writing skills to catch up!:o)

My now 18 year old was like that too. He still writes in chicken scratch, but he loves to write now. Thank goodness for computers. He typed his work starting in 2nd grade LOL. Bobby drove his siblings nuts too, he was very literature based and could answer any question you tossed at him.

I might have two of them LOL :lol:

I say keep doing what you are doing. Get the reading skills up. Add some type of math, informal or formal. One suggestion is to pick up a copy of the book, What Your Kindergartner Needs to know. There is lots to read, activities for lots of subjects, including math, and all in one little book.

Well for K we are using Explode the code, Phonics Pathways, CLP K readers, Horizons math K, and lots of reading. My dd will be included with my ds(2nd) for History, Music, Art, Science, Read Aloud time. I find pretty much all of my read alouds and readers at thrifts stores. We own many of the Sonlight suggestions for pk-2nd grade, and I spent at the most 1 dollar per book. Try and relax and make it fun.

I mentioned what WTM says, but I didn't say what we did...

I used the geography/history section of What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know as a guide for our very relaxed geography/history. We started by reading Me on the Map by Joan Sweeney (and that section in WYKNTK) then some map skills.

Then we took awhile on each continent. We read books from Five In A Row that were set in that continent (and sometimes did some of the other FIAR activities). We read other fiction and non-fiction books about or set in that continent. We had a meal from that area. We talked about the animals that are from there. We listened to music from that area. etc.

Then we did the overview of US history as suggested in WYKNTK.

For math we used lots of hands on stuff, games, Anno books and we did a little bit out of several curriculum, because I wanted to get a feel for them to decide what we would do going forward. Family Math (both books - young children and regular), Math Their Way, RightStartA, MathUSee Primer, MEP, Singapore, Miquon, a Math K Workbook from Houghton Mifflin - I think that is all :blush:

For reading, one of mine is working through Reading Made Easy and one is using 100 Easy Lessons.

For writing, we did HWT K.

For science we read several Robert E Wells books and did some fun experiments.

We also did the calendar, including counting the days of the school year with a number line and place value boxes and straws.

There is a good bit there, but we didn't spend much time in instruction. We usually did about 3 days a week. With an hour or two max, many days less. And that was not all sit and write/read time. We do talk about and discover all day as well.

Edited by Doubleblessings

We did kindergarten this year, and my K's table work was almost never more than 1/2 hour. We would do a little writing (HWT and/or "journal"), a little math (Singapore Earlybird/PM 1A), a little reading, and we added in FLL 1/2 once she was reading well). We do some read aloud time every day (science/history/good stories) and she takes Suzuki violin too. But the structured table stuff is over in the blink of an eye if she actually stays at the table to complete it. :001_smile: To me it sounds like you're doing great.

Edited to say that my K has come a long long way this year. She's a fluent reader and an emerging writer. She has taken a lot from our hands on outings, travel, and reading. And it didn't take a lot of table time or money! I'm personally all about cheap until we need to spend. We love books too (and need a wing added to our house for all of them), but I order books individually or use the library.

For the record, I have and use pieces of the WTM but am not a real classical homeschooler. We're more eclectic in style.

Edited by kck

Hi there! I taught 4 year old Kindergarten before homeschooling, and I worked closely with the 5K teacher to mesh our programs. I would just have fun doing phonics, handwriting, and a little math, and take lots of field trips around your area! Also, read, read, read! At least 3 read alouds a day, more if you can. Kids at this age really need hands on play with materials like blocks, play dough, ect. to develop their cognitive and motor skills. There are so many free resources on the internet, here are just a few I used as a teacher and still use as a mom:

www.starfall.com

Starfall is wonderful and free online, it has an ABC section for early phonics and reading going all the way up to 4th or 5th grade. They also sell a complete Kindergarten curriculum, but you can just use the ree activities and alphabet printables on the website for phonics and handwriting.

www.littlegiraffes.com

This is a website that was maintained by a Kindergarten teacher until she retired, it has great ideas for hands on activities and projects in math, reading, etc. The monthly themes section has great ideas for hands on projects and centers that relate to science, social studies, as well as math and reading. Lots of fun crafts too! You could use the themes to plan your activities for the whole year.

http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/abc_centers.html

This website is from a former teacher who is now a homeschooling mom. She has tons of resources for preschool and Kindergarten. These are her ABC centers, which have some great games. She also has printable reading books that coordinate with great Children's lit:

http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/printable_booklets.html

This site also includes a link on the left for Christian resources and printables.

http://www.first-school.ws/

This is a preschool site with tons of free printables, but they are also great for the Kindergarten level. They have handwriting worksheets in either Zaner-Bloser or D'Nelian. They also have some great flashcards, coloring pages, and they have lesson plans for various children's books and themes. Their site can be a little hard to navigate, but their free printables really are great. Their alphabet handwriting sheets also include pages with Christian and biblical themes if you wanted to incorporate religion, though most of their resources are secular. Here is the link to their handwriting printable section:

http://www.first-school.ws/theme/handwriting.htm

Here is a page with free learning activity sheets for math, writing, reading, etc. You need to register at www.learningpage.com, but it is free. They also have lesson plans and printables to go with themes units, such as ocean animals, that integrate all the different subjects around a science topic with resources for grades prek-4. Here is a lin

k for the activity sheets they have by month in an archive:

http://www.learningpage.com/member/previous-monthly-sets.html

Here is a link for their themes units:

http://www.learningpage.com/pages/menu_wkshts/fact_oceans.html

And here are the basic sheets that have great math and letter practice:

http://www.learningpage.com/pages/menu_basics/alpha_dnealian.html

Here is a site with fun ideas for theme days, they also have songs and fingerplays listed by theme that you can incorporate into whatever you are studying. This is the section with recipes for things like playdough, paint, etc. http://www.preschooleducation.com/recipe.shtml

They also have great ideas for games and activities to go along with phonics and math. These are all hands on activities and games, not worksheets.

If you wanted a more traditional math program, I know that MEP math has a kindergarten program. I haven't used it, but it is free online and a lot of families on this board really like it. It is a British site so the Kindergarten year is called "Reception." Here is a link:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

If you are looking for a CM approach, Ambleside Online has free Kindergaten suggestions and reading lists as does Tanglewood Academy. I would also look at the booklists on the Living Books curriculum website or Memoria press for more literature ideas, and then just use my library card to check out the books. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on books for Kindergarten, save your money for the later years when you really need them.

Hope that helps! there are a lot of "free curriculum" threads already, but they really don't focus too much on early childhood. Try not to feel overwhelmed, just have fun!

Oh, I almost forgot. Here is a program with lesson plans for presenting Nursery rhymes to work on phonics and literacy skills, it is called Rhyme a Week:

http://www.teach.virginia.edu/go/wil/rimes_and_rhymes.htm

Just to let you know, it is a program that was developed for Head Start. Some homeschool families might not approve of the source, but I used it in the Catholic school I worked in and I didn't find anything objectionable about it.

The also have a program called "Book a Week" that has lesson plans for activities to go along with a children's book. It is also used to increase literacy and reading skills.

http://www.teach.virginia.edu/go/wil/classroom_instruction.htm#A_Book_A_Week

I didn't follow these faithfully, but they could constitute a language arts curriculum if you wanted to follow the schedule and lesson plans.

I have to agree that you do not need a curriculum for kindergarten. I will have a kindergartener next year. I am going to make sure he knows everything on this list VERY easily done with library books. What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know is also a good resource we will be using. That should be available at your library! We have a math curriculum (MUS and horizons), we will be doing Itchys Alphabet, Star Fall and Bob Books for reading/phonics, reading books for an introduction to science & history from the library. The only thing I am undecided about is what to do after itchys alphabet for phonics. I will have him know his address, phone number and my cell phone number and his dad's cell phone number. Safety rules, you know, just the basics! How to tie shoes, stuff like that! Learn how to cut straight, paste, arts and crafts! Simple as that :001_smile:

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Yep, I meant that OM is very laid back for a Kindergartener and it's more like a hands-on preschool program, very art and crafts and nature and story based etc. Very laid back on "academics," like it focuses on learning the upper case letters of the alphabet in creative hands-on ways rather than a formal learning to read and write kind of thing. I love it.

If the OP is talking about math and language arts and handwriting and so on for a Kindergartener and there's a part of her that feels like that's too much, I'm just telling her I understand/agree with the part of her that is thinking along those lines- I prefer much more laid back in those early years. I'm sure she'll make whatever decision suits her and her family in the end.

P.S. I totally agree that no formal curriculum is necessarily needed for Kindergarten- and it's also true that OM is expensive (I got a fantastic deal on a used curriculum, though). But I adore their whole philosophy and approach- my 4th grader and I have loved doing OM4 this year, and I'm looking forward to doing OMK with my son in the fall.

Hi,

If I had to do it all over again I would start with teaching the phonograms to my daughter using the cards from AAS(all about spelling) or SWR.(spell to write and read) They are easy to learn and use. Starfall is a nice choice also. I have always made my own copywork sheets using the fonts from Donna Young's website which are free. I would also use Ambleside year0 book list for excellent literature. Kinder doesn't have to be expensive to be fun or effective.

www.letteroftheweek.com may be another good choice for you.

HTH,

Penny

K doesn't have to be that big. Handwriting, phonics, readers and tons of read alouds of every subject under the sun. She also suggests Mudpies to Magnets if you want to do science.

:iagree:We did EB, very gently, Mudpies and Everybody Has A Body, prehistory (The First Dog, ice age resources), but mostly read alouds....2 hours a day or more. If handwriting is frustrating, just art, sand letters, mazes. K is for joy, joy, joy, joy down in their hearts.

Alright.. I have made it a goal to be decided on the curriculm for my 1st year of homeschooling my kindergarten by the homeschooling fair this weekend where they will have all the venders. Please help! Part of me thinks I want to do Sonlight Core and language arts, Abeka math and Handwriting, bible and character training.
I think that sounds perfect, as long as you keep everything at K level. Go with SL Core 4/5 instead of K, that gives you read alouds and reading. You should still have a short day. Handwriting, K math (do not skip on to 1st math) Bible and character training. Should any of the highlighted subjects really be left out?

You've been given a bunch of great advice! For K, we are concentrating on the Bible and the 3R's. I'm also doing Sonlight K because my big girl is extremely interested in science. Plus we read A L L the time!

My big girl also likes "puzzle" type stuff like Patternables and thinking books from the Critical Thinking Company.