Menu

Book A week in 2010 - Week 18

Today is the start of book week 18 and should have you starting book # 18. Mr linky is up on 52 books blog and ready for you to link to your reviews.

This week's R is for Romance - the diva of Romance Nora Roberts. I just finished Savor the Moment, part of her bride quartet series. Still working on reading Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann for my lit class. Haven't gotten to far and need to quite getting distracted by other books.

What are you all reading this week?

Bump - This one - not that one. :) I just returned from Scout Expo and feeling a bit tired. First time camping in eons and didn't get much sleep. Time to relax and read for a while.

Happy Sunday.

Is this any good? Would you let a 12 yo read this?

Yes, I would let a 12yo read the Pony Express book. However, it is quite dry in parts & I'm not sure it would really hold a 12yo's interest over the length of the book. I've read a few things from it out loud to my almost-12yo; things that I've found interesting or funny as I came across them. My dd said she might read it when I'm finished & I'm fine w/ that. But, I'm not sure she'd really read the whole book because I'm not sure the whole thing would hold her interest, though she would certainly like parts of it. (She's an avid reader, fwiw.)

I finished "Jane and His Lordship's Legacy" (Being a Jane Austen Mystery) by Stephanie Barron last night. It was enjoyable reading. I picked it up at the library's book sale. A nice light mystery with Jane Austen as the sleuth.

I started "Northanger Abbey" today. It is the only Austen book that I recall not liking, however, I've only read it once. I thought I'd give it another try.

I've meant to start "David Copperfield" but have not been in the mood.

My list so far (I think I'm one behind)

1. A Great and Terrible Beauty

2. Twilight

3. New Moon

4. The Mermaid in the Basement

5. A Conspiracy of Ravens

6. Eclipse

7. Breaking Dawn

8. The Other Boleyn Girl

9. Dracula

10. Knife of Dreams

11. Crossroads of Twilight

12. The Gathering Storm

13. Silk

14. Under Eastern Stars

15. Kingscote

16. Jane and His Lordship's Legacy

17. Northanger Abbey (currently)

Yep, I'm behind. Though I thought I was starting book 18. Oh, well, I have some light reading that I bought at the library book sale, I just might catch up this week.;)

I have had a couple of rough weeks with regard to reading. I sit down and get no more than a couple of paragraphs before falling asleep, or I remember seven other things I should be doing instead.

Everything I had been working on went back to the library and I'm starting fresh after a really good night of sleep and a thorough clearing of the to-do list.

This weekend I am reading The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and The Irresistible Henry House. I am loving both of them. I also picked up a copy of Columbine this afternoon, but I probably won't get to that until much later in the week.

I am still working on "Beatrice and Virgil" by Yann Martel. I am having the hardest time with it.

I have heard from a few people that Beatrice and Virgil is not so good. I was hopeful after having read about it in Book Page--it sounds so interesting. The the real-life reviews that have been shared with me, however, aren't so positive.

I finished:

#26 - God's Smuggler, by Brother Andrew with John and Elizabeth Sherrill. A quick, very engaging, powerful biography.

Am currently reading my fourth classic for this year:

#27 - Animal Farm, by George Orwell. A quick reading book, but I am progressing much too slowly as I am dealing with a broken rib whose pain is intensely multiplied with every cough (which is the culprit that caused the broken rib), and the prescription cough medicine literally has me falling asleep constantly. This afternoon, I read the same sentence multiple times and nodded out every time only to jerk awake, shake myself back to life --- and fall asleep again . . . :glare: Even typing on these keys is really weird and I have nodded out over them, too . . . Having to make lots of corrections.

Next up will be:

#28 - The Telling, by Beverly Lewis, the final book in her Seasons of Grace trilogy.

And after that - not sure yet.

Today is the start of book week 18 and should have you starting book # 18. Mr linky is up on 52 books blog and ready for you to link to your reviews.

This week's R is for Romance - the diva of Romance Nora Roberts. I just finished Savor the Moment, part of her bride quartet series. Still working on reading Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann for my lit class. Haven't gotten to far and need to quite getting distracted by other books.

What are you all reading this week?

Ummmm...i think I lost count of what book I am up to...

BUT: I finished Outliers...LOVED IT!! Eye opening, but somewhat depressing as neither I not anyone in my family seems to have what it takes to be an outlier...and being "average" kinda sucks!

I am now reading Certain Women by Madeliene L'Engle. Not really my cuppa, but nothing else was in at the library. I will finish it and then I am going to read Going Rogue by Sarah Palin. I love her because she makes me laugh. Not sure I would want her as my politician...but I sure do enjoy her antics. LOL!!!

~~Faithe

BUT: I finished Outliers...LOVED IT!! Eye opening, but somewhat depressing as neither I not anyone in my family seems to have what it takes to be an outlier...and being "average" kinda sucks!

Being below average sucks worse!

Rosie

I have heard from a few people that Beatrice and Virgil is not so good. I was hopeful after having read about it in Book Page--it sounds so interesting. The the real-life reviews that have been shared with me, however, aren't so positive.

Well, whew! I"m glad that it's not just me. I haven't read Life of Pi so I didn't have that to compare it to.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Finished reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Found it very engaging till the last chapter, then I was so angry at the author and I bawled like a baby.

Currently continuing to read through my library's collection of Patricia Wentworth books.

Guest Virginia Dawn
oh...eeeewwww oh. The end of that book (Life of Pi) was just so disturbing. Don't read it too late at night.

~~Faithe

I loved the Life of Pi so much that I went out and bought my own copy, and have read it again since. :auto:

I finished Hungry Planet and mostly finished Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads. Made no progress in the others I have going on. Picked up my June book club book from the library: The Echo Maker. I'm behind on the book a week goal, but hope I'm not too far behind to catch up in the summer.

oh...eeeewwww oh. The end of that book (Life of Pi) was just so disturbing. Don't read it too late at night.

~~Faithe

I loved the Life of Pi so much that I went out and bought my own copy, and have read it again since. :auto:

I finished it this afternoon. I've got to agree w/ Faithe.

Was "Life of Pi" disturbing & horrifying? Yes

Was it thought-provoking? Definitely

Will I be thinking about it for a long time to come? Highly likely

Do I 'love' it? Hmmm. No, love is not the word I can use for this book. I appreciate it & can respect many things the author is trying to say, but the disturbing aspects are just so horrifying that I almost feel at a loss for words.

I'm also very unsure of how this story is one to make you believe in God (as is asserted at the beginning of the book).

I do love the cover art! It's really a beautiful cover & so striking. Really one of the best covers I've seen in a long time.

life-of-pi.jpg

Edited by Stacia

This weekend I am reading The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

Look forward to hearing what you thought about Physick Dane. I enjoyed it.

Am currently reading my fourth classic for this year: #27 - Animal Farm, by George Orwell. A quick reading book, but I am progressing much too slowly as I am dealing with a broken rib whose pain is intensely multiplied with every cough (which is the culprit that caused the broken rib), and the prescription cough medicine literally has me falling asleep constantly. This afternoon, I read the same sentence multiple times and nodded out every time only to jerk awake, shake myself back to life --- and fall asleep again . . . :glare: Even typing on these keys is really weird and I have nodded out over them, too . . . Having to make lots of corrections.

Good job with the classics. Sorry to hear about the rib. My mother did the same thing quite a long time ago. Hope you feel better soon.

The Magic Mountain is slow reading but I have to read it for my class so will keep plugging away. Have a book tour coming up on Friday - John Sandford's Prey Tour. I'll be reading Certain Prey and reviewing it. 19 folks reading each one of his books, reviewing them chronologically, leading up to the release of his new book Storm Prey. Be sure to check it out.

Yes, I would let a 12yo read the Pony Express book. However, it is quite dry in parts & I'm not sure it would really hold a 12yo's interest over the length of the book. I've read a few things from it out loud to my almost-12yo; things that I've found interesting or funny as I came across them. My dd said she might read it when I'm finished & I'm fine w/ that. But, I'm not sure she'd really read the whole book because I'm not sure the whole thing would hold her interest, though she would certainly like parts of it. (She's an avid reader, fwiw.)

Thanks. My 12 yo may want to give it a try. She loves history. If she finds some of it boring, she won't have to finish it because I'll look for it in the library.

Just a quick update as an excuse to bump this thread.

I read Peter Mayle's Vintage Caper in a single day this week. This is not a particular testimony on how great the book is but rather that I had a day during which I needed distraction (AP Calculus testing day) and Mayle came through.

But what I really wanted to mention is the book that I am now reading: The Food of a Younger Land: A Portrait of American Food--Before the National Highway System, Before Chain Restaurants, and Before Frozen Food, When the Nation's Food Was Seasonal. This is by Mark Kurlansky, the author of Cod and Salt, books that I know many here have enjoyed. In his new book, Kurlansky brings to light previously unpublished writings on food that were part of a Works Progress Administration project in the 1930's, early '40's. WWII moved the writers under the feds employ in a different direction. The collected writings for the regional food project were placed in the Library of Congress where they have been sitting in disarray. This book is really interesting as it provides a glimpse into the everyday life of an America when regionalism and seasonality dictated what was on the supper plate.

But what I really wanted to mention is the book that I am now reading: The Food of a Younger Land: A Portrait of American Food--Before the National Highway System, Before Chain Restaurants, and Before Frozen Food, When the Nation's Food Was Seasonal. This is by Mark Kurlansky

Oh, that does sound interesting. Thanks for mentioning it. I'm going to see if our library has it.

I finished "Orphans Wanted" (the Pony Express book). It was fairly interesting, though dry in parts. I learned quite a few things & odd tidbits of information.

I'm partially through "Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide". It is mildy amusing so far. (I guess he's a better safari guide than writer. ;))

I'm still working on Magic Mountain and on page 381. Just 300 more pages to go. Maybe I'll finish it tomorrow.

Today is my turn for the John Sandford Days of Prey blog tour and giving away a copy of his newest book - Storm Prey. Check out the tour and enter to win.

Finished Book 17 "Northanger Abbey" and Book 18 "Tales of Beedle the Bard." Glad I'm back on track. I liked "Northanger Abbey" a little better the second time. It is still my least favorite Austen book. "Tales of Beedle the Bard" was not what I expected. I guess I was looking for more.

I read Sanditon by Jane Austen and Another Lady, Conversations with the Children of Now, by Meg Blackburn Losey and will finish off I am, Therefore I Think by Alexander George tonight.

Rosie

Rosie, how was "Sandition?" A friend and I are doing a Jane Austen study with our older girls as an elective next year and I just found this copy yesterday. I had never heard of it.