Menu

all about spelling vs the phonics road

proudmamma

Here's a link to several PR threads, including Carmen's where the 2 programs are compared nicely. Carmen (lovedtodeath) has used both and does a great job of comparing the two.

Off the top:

AAS 1-3 is just about the same as PR1

AAS is word families where PR is not

PR2 begins grammar and lit study, both combine to bring in the writing element, and the lit. study has some lit. analysis, reading comp., and continues with the writing practice. It will incorporate ALL language arts, eventually leading into Latin (after PR4)

I'll let the experts chime in for the rest :) I know all about PR, but not too much about AAS :)

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

AAS is word families where PR is not

I haven't used both, so can't compare them. However, to clarify, AAS does have students learn words with similar patterns together (which can also serve as a memory aid), but it doesn't stop there--words are shuffled for review, are mixed up in dictation phrases and sentences, word analysis is used, and word-sorting exercises. So...while it includes word families, it's not a case where a student will memorize a list and not learn how to spell the word outside of that list, and it's not the only strategy used. HTH! Merry :-)

Thanks, Carmen. So you are saying PR has worked better than AAS for your child?

I should say that I am finishing up Barton level 8 with my son, who just turned 14. It has done absolute wonders for his reading, but his spelling is TERRIBLE. I would say it is around a 3rd grade level. Barton contained so many rules (with little review) that he couldn't retain them all...heck, I can't even remember them! He just has no memory for spelling. Needless to say I am getting a little worried. If I could just remediate his spelling like his reading, I would be satisfied.

Anyway, I am looking for some intense spelling. I actually have been thinking about doing several programs at the same time, along with copywork, dictation, etc. I feel like he just needs to write ALOT...

Any ideas would be wonderful! THanks!

I would not hesitate to suggest that you do both programs. They are both excellent in their own way. With AAS I had a little trouble with a lack of review, but we may have given up on it too quickly. I switched to PR after only a few lessons in level 2. When we were using AAS Emily's spelling improved almost immediately. Manipulating the tiles is a good hands-on step to get those rules to sink in. AAS may work better for you because you are learning fewer rules all at once and master those before moving on.

PR works better for me as a teacher because the review is constant without my thinking about it. We go over the rule tunes as we spell the words. We go over the rules and phonograms while marking the words. I also don't have a cluttered scripted teacher's manual, which helps me a lot because I have ADD. I also feel like Emily was ready to move faster than what AAS provided.

PR does have the option of using tiles, but AAS has instructions specific to learning with the tiles. It is better in that respect. One example is that the student will put words that are rule breakers in "jail". Another is the tile with a closed or open door while they are learning syllables. There is much more about syllables in AAS.

PR provides all of your LA starting in level 2. Honestly, that was my biggest incentive to make the switch.

You might also do a tag search for apples and pears and look into that one.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Thanks, Carmen! I actually did look at Apples and Pears and liked it too. I have been researching spelling for days now...Spelling through Morphographs, AAS, PR, Phonics Zoo, A&Pears, Spelling Wisdom, Megawords, etc. I hate when I can't make a decision! I do think I will be doing a combo of them. He needs it and since I am running out of time, we are going to be making this a major focus this year. Now that his reading is up to speed (he is severely dyslexic) we are going to hit the spelling HARD! Thanks again for your insight :001_smile:

Have you come any closer to a decision? Honestly, my instinct is telling me that you should try AAS over Phonics Road. It includes dictation as well. You can also look at amblesideonline and see what they have to say about studied dictation, and really get the technique down. I don't feel that you would need to add a dictation type program (like Spelling Wisdom) to AAS.

You can add another program on, but Megawords or Apples and Pears would be my picks out of those you have listed. You can also try How to Spell workbooks (from EPS), because AAS does not have workbooks. These workbook pages are similar to the building codes found in Phonics Road. (The building codes in Phonics Road are awesome.) How to Teach Spelling also has dictation based on the same rules as AAS if you feel you want more difficult words and sentences than what AAS has to offer, but still be working on the same rules.

Okay, so really I think you should go with a combo of AAS and HTTS. ;) I am not, however, familiar with a few of the programs that you listed.

One other suggestion for AAS: Buy at least the first two levels off the bat. Don't try to start with level one alone. You really need to see where it is going, then if you start with level one just get through it quickly... it will lay the basics. Start supplementing with level two if you feel the need.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

A question...How does PR review spelling words? Do they do that at all? Do you find that they forget spelling words from week to week? Do they have a spelling test each week or do you just teach the word and that's it? I just don't want to get to the end of a year and realize they learned nothing. I like that AAS has the built in review of spelling words with their dictation.

Beth

A question...How does PR review spelling words? Do they do that at all? Do you find that they forget spelling words from week to week? Do they have a spelling test each week or do you just teach the word and that's it? I just don't want to get to the end of a year and realize they learned nothing. I like that AAS has the built in review of spelling words with their dictation.

Beth

I would assume that since PR has dictation as well the review would be comparable. Each day in PR you test the words that were learned in the previous lesson before starting a new lesson. There are also lessons that are scheduled just for review.

I am not far into the program... maybe someone who has used level two will chime in.

Carmen, I love your advice! I will look into the other programs...HTTS and HTS workbooks. They sound like they would add a lot.

I, too, would like to hear what anyone has to say about the review aspect of PR. How does the program incorporate review so that the student does not forget?

ETA: I think the marking system in PR would be good for my son. Could I do that somehow with AAS? I don't know exactly how the marking system works, but for some reason I think it would help him to remember somehow. Anyone have any ideas on how I could implement that?

Edited by proudmamma

sorry to hijack....

is there a way to order the rule tunes only?

i finally looked through AAS1 and have AAS2 to look through now as well. i really like it for my new 6yr that has been reading for 2 1/2 yrs. the PR rule tunes have peeked my interest though. i also found the history of English that i saw on the site interesting.

ETA: the thought of having a complete program in PR2 has also peeked my interest, which is annoying me, bec i really do like AAS. is this going to be like math with me (not being able to decide on one great program and combining the best of 2???)

You can not buy just the spelling rules tunes separately. I asked when i was using PR because it would have been nice to have them on a separate CD to listen to in the car or just to use while we were doing our work. This Mama is not the best singer! LOL

I went from PR to AAS. We just started level 1 of AAS about a month ago--we are on step 17. There is a ton of review each day. You set up a box and with a file system and use that each day to review. I love this aspect of AAS and our review of the phonograms and written phonograms is happening each day. This is more mastery based.

With PR that review is not present. You must remember to do it on your own and come up with your own system. The review is more built in as one works through the spelling lists. This is more spiral.

I have actually done some of the markings with AAS that PR and other programs include. It is not that hard to add that in, if you know how to do it.

I will say that AAS is far superior to PR in its work with syllables and the way it breaks it down. This has been a major "AAHH" moment with my little one! This has really made things click for her. It also made me realize what our issues were or were coming from with PR. My dd has a speech issue, with AAS and the way they teach the kids to segment the words is amazing. With this tool I was able to isolate the problem of my dd not hearing/saying sounds in words correctly --especially with blends.

I love the daily phrase dictation that goes along with AAS. I know that PR2 has sentence dictation within the grammar but PR level 1 has no dictation. I really like the part of AAS. The dictation has increased my dd confidence and it has helped me to see what rules we may need to go back and review because the phrases dictated are only words that follow rules taught up to that point. From PR1 to PR2 the amount of writing jumps a ton. This can be an issue with a younger child.

sick kid calls. I can answer or compare any more questions that you may have at this point. --oh' my little one loves the little chart to show when you passed a step in AAS! Amazing what a little sticker chart can do!

Lynda

Could you just dictate from the readers in PR1? Seems like an easy solution to me.

I've decide to go with Phonics Road just because I like where it is headed. If I went with an AAS plus extras road, I get to around 3rd grade without any direction to go (which is where I am now with ds#2). With PR, I have until junior high covered with an ending point I like. No more piecemeal.

Beth

Carmen, I love your advice! I will look into the other programs...HTTS and HTS workbooks. They sound like they would add a lot.

I, too, would like to hear what anyone has to say about the review aspect of PR. How does the program incorporate review so that the student does not forget?

ETA: I think the marking system in PR would be good for my son. Could I do that somehow with AAS? I don't know exactly how the marking system works, but for some reason I think it would help him to remember somehow. Anyone have any ideas on how I could implement that?

I think the biggest aspect of review in PR is that your student is writing. They have to use the skills that have been taught. I don't like the review in AAS being a separate step. PR is much easier for me in that respect. With AAS the review rarely got done.

I think that in both AAS and PR the programs really improve quite a bit after the first level.

The PR readers don't start until week 15, so you don't have dictation sentences before then, unless you make them up yourself. AAS level one has short phrases of 2-3 words in level one and sentences start in level two. I have seen many users of AAS complain about the simplicity of the spelling words and sentences, which is why I recommend supplementing in that regard. AAS is more about learning the rules.

HTH!

See now that makes me pause because he had a bunch of rules in Barton and they just didn't stick! Of course, there is no review built into Barton either so maybe that was the problem. Hmm...I am really thinking about doing AAS, HTTS, and PR. I know it sounds like overkill, but he needs overkill in order for things to stick. Plus, it would do mastery and spiral, and I really think he needs both. Thanks again for all your help :)

AAS goes slowly with introducing new rules. That is why I recommended it first. Phonics Road does go slower than say, SWR, but much faster than AAS. There is more to learn all at once.

Go over the scope and sequence and the samples. If I can help to decifer the PR Scope and Sequence I will be happy to help. I am beginning to picture how you could use them all together. :)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

sorry to hijack....

is there a way to order the rule tunes only?

i finally looked through AAS1 and have AAS2 to look through now as well. i really like it for my new 6yr that has been reading for 2 1/2 yrs. the PR rule tunes have peeked my interest though. i also found the history of English that i saw on the site interesting.

ETA: the thought of having a complete program in PR2 has also peeked my interest, which is annoying me, bec i really do like AAS. is this going to be like math with me (not being able to decide on one great program and combining the best of 2???)

I think that you would be okay doing AAS levels 1-3 then switching to PR 2. Take a look at our comparison of the two programs on the social group. You can email me with any specific questions about what you might miss from PR 1 and I will be glad to help!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having this very dilemna. I purchased SWR last year, and as much as I like the idea of it, the implementation of it is too much for me. So I'd like something that's a little more open-and-go. I'm leaning towards Phonics Road, but All About Spelling sounds good, too...

My 6 year old is an EXCELLENT reader (at a grade 4-5 reading level), but not a very good speller.

I have not read the links to other threads so I may have posted in one of those. But, I though I would post my experience here. I have used SWR, AAS, and PR.

My oldest ds used SWR in 1st, but I needed more direction. I ordered PR for 2nd, but looked at the first dvd, decided I knew how to dictate words and didn't want to watch those dvds, then sold PR without ever actually using it. I started him in AAS and used it through level 4.

After using SWR and learning all of the phonograms, AAS didn't move fast enough for us. Four levels of AAS had still not gotten him to the point he was at with one lazy year of SWR. He is a rising 6th grader now and spent this past year accelerating him through PR 1 and 2. My younger two are now in PR as well.

My assessment of AAS:

It is very structured. It moves slowly through the phonograms and rules for mastery. This is great if your dc needs this approach. All of my dc need to move more quickly. My ds would learn the lesson and be able to spell all of the words since they followed the same pattern, but would not spell those same words correctly in other lessons. He just knew that all spelling words for the week followed the same rule.

Review is very strong and structured in AAS. The syllable division rules in AAS are AWESOME!!!

Assessment of PR:

Provides excellent teacher training....if you need it. Once you learn the program, you can forward through a lot of the dvd, but for the areas that you need it, you have awesome guidance. PR is an all inclusive LA program and grammar is covered in a way that my kids are finally retaining it.

You are to review phonograms frequently, but there is no daily reminder to do so. Review of rules will be done as you go through the lists. You are supposed to review problem words frequently, but again, there are not daily reminders to do so. There is a day here and there in the program where you are to do a thorough review. There are not sentences for dictation in level one, yet, starting in about week 15 the child is to use their spelling words to make a sentence. They dictate it to you, you write it on the board, then they copy it into their notebook. So, I think of this as kind of a pre-dictation exercise and it also will review words. Level 2 reviews all words and rules from level 1 before you start anything new. Level 3 reviews all of levels 1 and 2 before moving on.

I love PR because it has greatly steamlined our LA. I do need help keeping track of what words need review, so I made boxes similar to AAS with index cards and dividers. We review the words from the previous day, any problem words, and a few mastered words daily unless we are in a big hurry. I also use the rules for dividing syllables that I learned in AAS.

After looking at every writing and grammar program known to man in the past few weeks and not settling on anything, I read this thread about PR which seems to incorporate spelling, grammar, and writing...sounding great:001_smile:. Is that correct? Would one of you comment on how the grammar and writing are taught. I didn't see any samples on their website. If you use PR do you supplement any of those areas?

I have used SWR for one year then we switched to AAS. Both my children (9 & 10) just compled level 4. If I switch to PR, would I need to start both of them back at level 1 or could I jump in? I did look at the PR website and read that I should start at level 1, but since they are already familiar with the phonograms, I was thinking I could possibly skip a level or two.

mom@home

Hi Mom@Home,

Yes, PR does cover all language arts. Level one focuses on spelling and apparently introduces grammar towards the end of the year. Level 2 is the combined Language Arts including a year long Lit Study on Little House in the Big Woods, I believe.

I know there is at least one thread that talks about some moms starting in level 2. PR 1 is compared to AAS levels 1-3, so PR2 does sound about right for your kids from all the reading I've done (not an expert though, I'm starting level 1 in August). Look for posts from Johnandtinagilbret. She is on vacation right now, but she has used multiple levels with kids and has some great posts explaining how to use the materials. You can also pm or email her and she'll answer questions for you. Also, check out the thread on people who left PR just so you cover your bases. You can do a search in this forum by using the search in the top right corner.

Here is a link to the social group on Phonics Road and there are about 3 pages of threads to read through. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/group.php?groupid=103

Here is a link about PR not working for some individuals (I think) http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246846&highlight=left+phonics+road

ETA: There are samples on the PR website-http://thephonicsroad.com/

Click on the level two, and you'll see bold black text naming various parts of the program. The ones with the underlines are the samples. I think there are 4 pages total you can print out. There is also a sample dvd you can play online or request it to be mailed to you.

Hope that helps until someone more experienced chimes in!

Edited by BriannaG
forgot some information

After looking at every writing and grammar program known to man in the past few weeks and not settling on anything, I read this thread about PR which seems to incorporate spelling, grammar, and writing...sounding great:001_smile:. Is that correct? Would one of you comment on how the grammar and writing are taught. I didn't see any samples on their website. If you use PR do you supplement any of those areas?

I have used SWR for one year then we switched to AAS. Both my children (9 & 10) just compled level 4. If I switch to PR, would I need to start both of them back at level 1 or could I jump in? I did look at the PR website and read that I should start at level 1, but since they are already familiar with the phonograms, I was thinking I could possibly skip a level or two.

mom@home

I am using AAS with my ds 9 (almost 10) we will hopefully finish the series by this school year's end. We have blazed through, but it has utterly reformed him as a speller, turning him from one who couldn't spell his way out of a paper bag into a reasonably decent speller, and he's only doing level 3. It was just the thing he needed to help him think through a word when he doesn't know how to approach it. That said, I am also simultaneously doing PR1 with his little sister. He knows all the answers (because of AAS) and "helps her" :001_smile: with her spelling. I would not have him go back and start over with PR1...overkill, redundant, silly. In the fall,what I am doing with him instead is starting the Bridge to the Latin Road, which takes him to the next level--grammar (including diagramming) and will continue to build his spelling skills, but now he will be building skills based on the Latin roots, which also means building vocabulary. We will continue with AAS until we are through and then quit and stick with LR.

I used Webster's and Blend Phonics as a precursor to PR1 and it worked out perfectly. I followed along with ElizabethB's lessons for kindergarten thread, and then I just did Blend Phonics on the whiteboard until we finished it. Then we started PR1. So our year looked like this: August and September was mostly Webster's, then October-March was a blend of Webster's and Blend Phonics. Every once in a while I'd try to start Phonics Road but it would seem too stressful for Grace and we'd switch back. Around mid to late March we started Phonics Road 1 at a slow pace for good. I found it was a great progression for my DD.

JoyfulMamma_Karen,

I don't have any experience with AAR. I've heard good things about it. Try doing a search on AAR and read some threads. I agree with grace'smom. I used the same sequence with my dd who is 4.5 and she's done wonderfully. It was in using these programs that I noticed she like to play/analyze words, which led me to check out WRTR (it was cheap) and then move into PR1 in the fall.

You might notice your 4.5 year old hanging out with your 6 year old and picking up stuff. My almost 3 year old now insists on going through phonograms at least once a day!

Here is a link to the thread ElizabethB started where she listed out her teaching schedule withe Webster's. It is called K Webster Speller to teach reading....http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8404843

You can print off free copies of Webster's speller and Blend Phonics at http://www.donpotter.net. Here is the link: http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/. You'll have to scroll/read down and you'll find a paragraph where he talks about the Spelling Book Reference Page. You'll find the info there. He's hyperlinked everything in blue. Also, ElizabethB's webpage is http://www.thephonicspage.org. Here is a link to info on Webster's speller on her page: http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/webstersway.html

Both ElizabethB and Don Potter have a ton of info on their websites.

Hope you find some more information on AAR. You might also try asking out on the main forum how people liked the program to get more information.

Hope that helps you out a bit...

Hi. I'm home from vaca :)

I'd start in PR2 in your situation. You'll pick up in a fine place. There will be 1 (if I remember correctly, only 1) reference to something done in PR1, but it won't be a big deal at all. It will cover ALL of your language arts needs and you won't need a single addition.

I'll check back for more specific questions.

I've been able to look over the PR samples and videos a little. We use MUS and my children watch the videos with me and then we work on the lessons. Is that something we could do with PR or is it necessary for me to watch them ahead of time?

Also, my son is going to be 11 soon. He's at the age where songs sometimes seem hokey to him. How do your older children feel about the PR jingles?

If I believed PR was "it" as far as LA for my kids then I'd say to my sweet DS11 that he could either sing the song :D or simply memorize the rule without actually singing it. The singing is a big help in remembering but it certainly isn't necessary to memorizing those rules.... :001_smile:

FWIW, we LOVE Rule Tunes here. They STICK and my kids can apply them.

Katrina,

I noticed in your siggy that your oldest is using R&S and not PR. Do you plan to switch him to PR or are you sticking with R&S. We've used R&S and took a break from it last year, but that's one of my considerations for this year fall.

Katrina,

I noticed in your siggy that your oldest is using R&S and not PR. Do you plan to switch him to PR or are you sticking with R&S. We've used R&S and took a break from it last year, but that's one of my considerations for this year fall.

I'm not sure....We used PR 1 and then I sold PR (3 levels!) because we wanted to switch to Heart of Dakota. HOD's LA is well integrated in the program and PR didn't mesh with it as far as I was concerned. Anyhow, we are now NOT using HOD (we tested it for awhile and it isn't going to fly for this year). I am torn about PR 2....he doesn't need to do the lit study. He could benefit from some of the spelling and grammar but not all of it. I think PR 3 looks GREAT.....

My youngers will use PR 1 and probably PR 2....then shift out. But, again, who knows?!

I guess my oldest is in between levels with PR and I'm not sure I want to try to tweak it for him at this point. I also cannot afford to buy Level Two! :D So, for now, I'm going to use what I have on the shelf. My husband wants me to stay with PR and I suppose if the money situation changes I'd consider it. Rod & Staff is great though....and I love WTM writing.

Okay, here's a confession. I mainly love PR for the spelling and that includes the Rule Tunes. I can take or leave the other aspects :001_smile:. I also haven't quite understood her direction for writing....for some Moms it clicks! For me, it doesn't. I want to custom fit LA components to my kid in the writing department and so I have leaned toward other options.....PR is restricting for me. That was something that I struggled with in HOD too. Someone else managing every aspect of my school day :001_smile:. That said, I am still open to it :D. I know, I know. I confuse myself.....

I have a friend who always gives me the advice, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Thanks for your reply, Katrina. You helped me realize AAS is not broken, so we'll stick with it and continue our search for grammar and writing. I'm leaning toward sticking with R&S for grammar or possibly GWG and WWE.

I tried HOD Bigger for one year, Katrina. It wasn't a good fit for us either. I felt like my days were more micromanaged than I would like. I'm hoping that by using MFW next year and the principles in WWE that I can do more writing across the curriculum. WWE is on it's way so I'll see if that fits the bill once it arrives....but that's a whole other thread. :)

I was going back and forth between AAS and PR for a month or two. I finally decided on PR. Which I am very happy about and am very excited to start with my DD in the fall. However, I am starting to question if I should use AAS as well. I knew I shouldn't have read this thread! I keep hearing how everyone says that AAS does such an excellent job at teaching syllables. And I am intrigued. Has anyone here used both PR and AAS together? If I just used AAS level 1 with my DD this year would she benefit enough from the way syllables are taught that I could then just continue on with PR in the future? What to do, what to do?:confused:

I was going back and forth between AAS and PR for a month or two. I finally decided on PR. Which I am very happy about and am very excited to start with my DD in the fall. However, I am starting to question if I should use AAS as well. I knew I shouldn't have read this thread! I keep hearing how everyone says that AAS does such an excellent job at teaching syllables. And I am intrigued. Has anyone here used both PR and AAS together? If I just used AAS level 1 with my DD this year would she benefit enough from the way syllables are taught that I could then just continue on with PR in the future? What to do, what to do?:confused:

If you supplement with AAS for syllabication, you will want level 2. It teaches the rules and has some manipulatives for hands on learning. Look at the syllabication tag on this thread and it will give you more information on how to teach syllabication with PR.

If you supplement with AAS for syllabication, you will want level 2. It teaches the rules and has some manipulatives for hands on learning. Look at the syllabication tag on this thread and it will give you more information on how to teach syllabication with PR.

Thank you! I finally got a chance to check out that syllabication tag and it was extremely helpful! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Follow Carmen's tags on syllabication and just use PR. There's really no need to do both...it would surely be overkill!

what are webster's and blend phonics? do you have a link?

thanks,

Kriste

Here is a link to Don Potter's info page on Blend Phonics. You can get all kinds of information and extra helping tools from his page. Blend Phonics is a free download on his page as well.

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/blend_phonics.html

Here is a link to Don Potter's info and download page on Webster's. It has many free helping tool downloads as well.

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/spelling_books.html

There are other speller's listed on that page as well, but we used Webster's. One tip for you is not to print out the entire Webster's manual. We didn't use the whole book- it goes through high school. You may find later that you would like to use the whole thing and you can print more out later, but you'll pay a lot to print it if you want the whole thing and you may not use it all...

Does anyone have any opinions as to which is better? If you have used both and can tell which you like better and why, that would be great. I know they are similar, but I'm having a difficult time deciding which I like best :)

I've used both and I like both, but I switched to PR because it kills more birds with one stone. :) AAS/WWE/FLL felt like too much because I have four kids ready for that combo. Now I have one PR session with each and I'm done.