Menu

Michigan

• 3 weeks later...

We don't do more, mainly because of the expense, but I really like the one science class my 9yo is taking. I may consider putting my 13yo in a class next year. I don't go to any of the support groups. No particular reason, other than time constraints.

We go to Share in Battle Creek, also for science classes. I'm not sure if we'll continue this next year. I really like my 13yo's science class, but I don't like having to go in too many different directions during the week!

We do the monthly classes at the Air Zoo, too. As you can see, I've been outsourcing science this year! I felt like I was neglecting it too much.

We get together a couple times a month with 3 other families to do writing. We're working our way (slowly) through IEW. The boys also do Spanish classes, guitar lessons, and Hap Ki Do (martial arts).

Wow-reading through all that, it's a wonder we get any time at home to do school! But somehow we manage it! ;)

Nancy

• 5 months later...

We are moving to Grand Rapids (East Grand Rapids area) in two weeks. I'd love to know of some groups in our area, maybe yahoo groups, or other ways of finding activities and co-ops. I already know of the Home School Building, are there any others?

My dss are 4.5 and 3, my dd is 1. We'd love to get together for some fun and friendship!

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest jeanieande
I'm a yooper! We live by Marquette.

Erika

Mom2nine

Me too! Negaunee. Thinking about putting DD back in public school though. HS has created non-stop conflict in my house. I don't think we are cut out for it. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to invite all the Grand Rapids (and environs) people to two get-togethers and let you know about a new resource for area homeschoolers.

First, homeschool moms (and dads) are meeting for coffee and conversation at Barnes and Noble (28th Street) on Wednesday, May 20, at 7:30 p.m.

And, I hope you and your kids can join us for a park day next Thursday. We’ll meet for some long-awaited spring outside time at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 14, at Mackay GR Jaycees Family Park, 2551 Kalamazoo Ave SE. Remember sunscreen and a water bottle (the drinking fountains may not be on). In case of bad weather, check on the blog on the website below for a rain date.

Finally, there's a brand-new website for Grand Rapids Homeschoolers: Grand Rapids Learning Exchange. It’s an online hub for all things homeschooling in the area, from postings for mentors/tutors, to listings of camps and classes, to announcements about homeschool gatherings, to . . . too much to list. It’s a good resource not only for homeschoolers, but for anyone looking for learning opportunities in the area, so please pass it on. You can find it at http://www.grlearningexchange.com

Feel free to PM me. :) Hilary

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wondering if there are any groups in that area since dh is trying to convince me we need to move there so he can fish :001_huh:.

Anyone?

Maybe someday, so I'm no help with your question. DH's parents grew up in the Soo but now live in downstate MI. We currently live in WI, but hopefully someday we'll make it back to the UP.

• 1 month later...
I live by Marquette. that 2 1/2 hrs from the soo. ( If you drive fast) The soo is nice but Marquette is much nicer!!:thumbup:

Marquette is another place he's trying to convince me to consider. What's up there...beside crazy amts of snow? Are there many homeschoolers? I've looked at the Soo, and it seems most of the interesting things/activities are on the Canada side (even the YMCA). But the thought of having to cross that bridge every time we need to do something makes me want to cringe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...