Menu

ACT scores....

My dd16 got her score yesterday. It was in the "Upper Teens". And, it may have been her best effort.

I post for two reasons:

1. to give other moms some comfort knowing they aren't alone with kids doing their best and making "low" scores.

2. to remind everyone that families here at WTM represent a vast variety of academic ability levels.

So, now I'll brag too.... My dd took the ACT and did her best!! YEAH FOR US!!

:001_smile:

My dd16 got her score yesterday. It was in the "Upper Teens". And, it may have been her best effort.

I post for two reasons:

1. to give other moms some comfort knowing they aren't alone with kids doing their best and making "low" scores.

2. to remind everyone that families here at WTM represent a vast variety of academic ability levels.

So, now I'll brag too.... My dd took the ACT and did her best!! YEAH FOR US!!

Congratulations!

My solid belief is that every person has their niche in life. The only "wrong" thing is forcing someone into a niche that isn't theirs. Even the Bible tells us to, "Train up a child in the way THEY should go," not the way WE insist they go. I heard that in a sermon once (mainly referring to "job path" and "learning style" not spiritual issues) and have never forgotten it.

Some niches need high scores (or at least it makes it easier to reach them). Many niches don't. All are valued. :001_smile:

As a mother of 4 dc with varying academic abilities, I am thankful for your example of unconditional motherly pride in your dd. The pressure to produce top scores is so great for homeschoolers. I want to join you to honor all of those kiddos whose scores may just be "OK", but whose effort was monumental. That is truly a cause for celebration!Congratulations!

For what it is worth, I just downloaded an app for my iPhone. The app was written by one of my best friends in high school. He has had 4 apps approved by Apple and is working on at least a dozen more. Stu is brilliant beyond words at what he does, but he never did well on tests or in regular classes in high school. His ACT score was barely above a 20. He was blessed with parents like you who encouraged him to do his best and to excel in his passion.

Bravo to you and your dd. Mine did not do so hot, and refused to up her points. That was okay.

There are many great colleges who dont even look at scores. They accept the child for who she is. These are the colleges we looked at. I think its important not to be a nbr.

Congratulations :hurray: on everyone doing their best. I have an average smart child and a really smarty pants high IQ child and the average one has learned to work hard while the other gets frustrated when things don't come easily (because they always have). There is a lot of value in doing your best and working hard.

You are an awesome mom!

I just wanted to encourage you to also keep the test in perspective. It is nothing more than the ability to answer specific types of questions in a certain amt of time. It certainly does not reflect much more than that.

Here is an ancedotal story......which I guess is worth about 2 cents!!

My oldest is a very slow reader and horrible multiple choice test taker under pressure. (Give the boy short answer or essay questions and he was much happier!) His first ACT scores were low. It took a lot of test prep and learning how to pace himself during the test via practice tests to get up to what I consider a really good score (which most people on this forum would consider low)

Anyway, we had some friends whose oldest ds scored a perfect 36 and attended the same university as ds wanted to go to. THeir ds was there on a full scholarship, but he ended up losing his scholarship $$ and changed majors b/c he could not handle their engineering program. He switched to psychology.

When this friend found out that our ds wanted to attend this university and major in chemical engineering, she told us that he really needed to consider a different major b/c it was extremely difficult and that even the best of the best students struggled.

Well.........ds has thrived at that school as a chemical engineering major. He has something like a 3.6 GPA and has been recruited for research projects by his professors. He only has his senior coursework left.

The ACT in no way is a true indicator of the ability to succeed, only on how to test. Don't let your dd think it is a reflection of where she can go in life!!!

Well.........ds has thrived at that school as a chemical engineering major

Thanks for this! My ds#3 is so thrilled with chemistry right now (9th grade) and wants to make it a career somehow. We've talked about chemical engineering but I was always hesitant because he doesn't test well either. His math is slow, but his science is great. It's good to know that there is hope for these kids who don't test to their ability.

On another front, my oldest finally squeaked out a 29 on the ACT and was able to get into the Honors program. He is now one of the top Petroleum Engineering students in his class with a GPA of 3.8. He is getting great scholarships, offers of internships, etc. So, although a decent ACT score, it didn't really tell the whole story. He does great in class, is an extremely hard worker (more hardworking than naturally gifted), and has just enough competitive spirit to do very well in class.

Can you tell me what school your son is at? PM me if you wish - I'm just starting to look for schools where ds#3 would fit.

Congrats to the OP's DD!

Congratulations!

My solid belief is that every person has their niche in life. The only "wrong" thing is forcing someone into a niche that isn't theirs. Even the Bible tells us to, "Train up a child in the way THEY should go," not the way WE insist they go. I heard that in a sermon once (mainly referring to "job path" and "learning style" not spiritual issues) and have never forgotten it.

Some niches need high scores (or at least it makes it easier to reach them). Many niches don't. All are valued. :001_smile:

Um...were you thinking of me when you wrote this?

This is something I needed to hear today. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.:)

Edited by The Dragon Academy

Hello. My daughter is a senior and has taken the ACT twice and has been through two prep courses. She scores mid teens... and is totally embarrassed because all of her closest hsling friends have received academic scholarships for the fall. She has decided to go the cosmetology route. Can you share with me some of the great colleges who do not look at scores?

Thanks!

Bravo to you and your dd. Mine did not do so hot, and refused to up her points. That was okay.

There are many great colleges who dont even look at scores. They accept the child for who she is. These are the colleges we looked at. I think its important not to be a nbr.

Um...were you thinking of me when you wrote this?

This is something I needed to hear today. Thank you for sharing your wisdom.:)

I've got one that does fairly high, but not super high. I've got one that is top of the top (and I don't think I can take credit - it's natural for him). Then I've got one that will have me rejoicing if he gets a more "normal" score. I love them all equally. The interesting thing to it all? Each one of them seems to be in the score range they need to be in to easily follow their dreams (assuming my youngest keeps his thoughts where they are - we didn't make him write it in stone - figured we'd let him finish algebra first ;) ).

The problem I see way too often is that people of all ages (students/parents/other) decide that higher = better person. That simply isn't true any more than more $$ = better person or certain jobs = better person. All these scores do is show a potential for learning based on learned materials so far. Even then, as others have mentioned, they aren't perfect at that - just generally correlate. Personalities add a lot to the mix too.

As long as one gets scores that get them where they want to go in life - where their natural talents or desires lie - then they have done well! (And some don't even need scores - nothing wrong with that either!) I tell my boys that as long as they don't decide to become a drug dealer or pimp, I'm happy with their choice. Follow their hearts (being conscious of what PAYS to earn a living).

Congratulations!

Well put. Many professions don't require high ACT scores or an Ivy-caliber education. A friend of mine who struggled in school, went on to become a horticulturist and couldn't be happier. She works in a nursery, and is one of those fortunate individuals who doesn't consider it a job and can't believe she gets paid for what she does. Finding our true vocation is what matters most, IMO.

So... congratulations!

I've got one that does fairly high, but not super high. I've got one that is top of the top (and I don't think I can take credit - it's natural for him). Then I've got one that will have me rejoicing if he gets a more "normal" score. I love them all equally. The interesting thing to it all? Each one of them seems to be in the score range they need to be in to easily follow their dreams (assuming my youngest keeps his thoughts where they are - we didn't make him write it in stone - figured we'd let him finish algebra first ;) ).

The problem I see way too often is that people of all ages (students/parents/other) decide that higher = better person. That simply isn't true any more than more $$ = better person or certain jobs = better person. All these scores do is show a potential for learning based on learned materials so far. Even then, as others have mentioned, they aren't perfect at that - just generally correlate. Personalities add a lot to the mix too.

As long as one gets scores that get them where they want to go in life - where their natural talents or desires lie - then they have done well! (And some don't even need scores - nothing wrong with that either!) I tell my boys that as long as they don't decide to become a drug dealer or pimp, I'm happy with their choice. Follow their hearts (being conscious of what PAYS to earn a living).

You did it again...spoke to my heart. I struggle with this whole testing-college-occupation dilemma with my DD. All I can say is thank you. I am going to be doing some soul searching about my attitude.

I post for two reasons:

I really needed to hear this today...

Hi All ~

THANK YOU !!!! This thread has been such a blessing!

I've spent all morning researching college admissions requirements because I am so concerned about preparing DD for testing and she is only in fourth grade!

Her strenghts are in writing, language and history in which she does extremely well. My worry is that because math is so difficult for her and she doesn't test well, she will score low on entrance exams and not be able to attend a quality school.:svengo:

I have been driving myself crazy trying to decide if I should play to her strenths or spend more time on math. She works HARD, it just doesn't come naturally to her. I am having a difficult time trying to map out science for HS since the upper levels depend on math ability! :banghead:

Reading through the replies I realized I have been talking about this too much and proably causing her stress. THANK you for reminding me that effort and passion are just as important as and test scorces!

Happy Weekend ~

Dina :001_smile:

Here is an ancedotal story......which I guess is worth about 2 cents!!

Well.........ds has thrived at that school as a chemical engineering major. He has something like a 3.6 GPA and has been recruited for research projects by his professors. He only has his senior coursework left.

The ACT in no way is a true indicator of the ability to succeed, only on how to test. Don't let your dd think it is a reflection of where she can go in life!!!

Thank you so much for this story. It is worth WAY more than 2 cents ;-)

How wonderful that your son is thriving. That is what we all want for our children; and they follow all sorts of paths. What a heart-warming story.

~Laura

my dd took hers and did her best, but it wasn't a high score. But it was enough to enable her to take classes at the local college.

My dd has always struggled with certain things when it comes to school, and I knew it would not be high. The hard thing for her is that all of her friends did super well, like 30 or above. I think, for the most part she has been ok with that.

We've always worked hard at homeschooling and I think she is doing great overall. :001_smile: