Menu

Need advice from long-hair dog owners

My sweet and huge border collie mix, Odie, has long, thick, black hair. He is about to roast already, and it is only April. He loves to be outside when we are, and he gets sooooooo hot! I am thinking about having him shaved, but my husband doesn't want to because he is afraid he will look pitiful. If you have seen Major Payne, think of the German Shepherd who gets shaved bald at the end. :lol:

Anyway, I have never owned a long-haired animal, and I'm not sure if I should take him to a groomer or the vet's office, or if I can do it myself (scary!). Actually, I'm not sure if I should do it at all. I think Odie would love it. :D

Advice?

We have a Samoyed (long, white hair) and we do shave him during the Summer. He loves to be outside and its way too hot otherwise. My husband has a shaving kit and does it himself but it takes a very long time. If the dog may be skittish you're probably better going to a groomer.

He does look pitiful though. Unshaved he looks like a white wolf, shaved he looks like a lamb that's been sheared. He looks about 50 pounds lighter too.

Oh, no! Whatever you do, don't shave him! A dog's coat regulates body temperature in both winter and summer. It also protects their skin from sunburn, and if he's one of those who loves to romp outdoors for hours, he'll need that protection! Shade and cool water should be all he really needs to keep comfortable in the summer, even though he looks miserable when he is panting. Have him groomed if he needs it, but not shaved!

-Robin

NO!!!! Never shave a long haired dog...think of it as an afro. It is their protection from the heat :-), not a coat. Just brush the undercoat well....mother nature knows what she is doing!:D

Oh, no! Whatever you do, don't shave him! A dog's coat regulates body temperature in both winter and summer. It also protects their skin from sunburn, and if he's one of those who loves to romp outdoors for hours, he'll need that protection! Shade and cool water should be all he really needs to keep comfortable in the summer, even though he looks miserable when he is panting. Have him groomed if he needs it, but not shaved!

-Robin

Oh wow, I am so glad I asked!! I had no idea. Thank you so much!!! Thankfully, we have plenty of shade and a huge water bowl outside for both dogs.

Don't.

Coats work as insulation in BOTH directions.

IMO, the only dogs that can be shaved are ones that don't normally shed (poodles, some wire terriers etc.)

One of mine is a malamute X - double coat, very thick, you have to really work to even see her skin. Mals are never meant to be shaved and sometimes when they are, their coats don't come back in well. She handles the heat very well just as she is.

Shaving is an extreme measure. We did shave my current foster ( listed as a newf X) because he was really just one big mat & there was no way I could save that coat, though I did really try. He looks like a dork. :D

What you can do is get a good grooming rake & undercoat blade and brush him several times a week. Some people swear by furminators but I find them pricey and not worth it.

Be alert to signs of heat stroke, don't over work a dog in the heat, put out sprinklers or a baby pool but I would not shave a dog with a regular coat.

Check with your vet. Ours recommended shaving our dog as he got older and didn't handle the heat as well. Samoyeds are originally from Siberia and are not adapted to warmer weather (ours prefers hanging out in the snow). Probably not as big of an issue with a Border Collie.

LOL - I have an Alaskan Malamute. And live on the 42nd parallel.

I stand by my comment - these dogs do not need to be shaved, they're at risk of sunburn when they are & they lose the insulative properties of the coat.

I know of one adopter who got a malamute from rescue & whose vet recommended a shave. The breed rescue which adopted that dog out almost had a cow when they found out - I think that adopter & the vet now know better. :)

But as always - YMMV.

A fur coat doesn't really keep you or your dog cool. Honestly, my veterinarian says that fur keeping dogs cool is an old wives tale. If it's hot where you live, your dog spends a lot of time outside, and has a ton of hair, then you should consider shaving. Also if your dog is very hyper consider it. Old dogs that lay sround don't raise their internal body temp. as much. But, you need to use like a number 40 grooming blade, so there's still some hair left. This protects them fine from sunburn. Heat stroke is a much bigger problem than sunburn anyday.

I used to have a chow-chow and she made new hair for summer and winter. Her winter hair was fine and thickly layered. Her summer hair was large and hollow. The trick was to get all of the summer fur out. I usually started at the tail and worked my way up, brushing the fur inch by inch, I could see the old fur that needed to come out and worked it out slowly. I only havt to do this once in the spring/summer, after that just regular brushing worked. But that one time usually filled a walmart bag.

Lara

But, you need to use like a number 40 grooming blade, so there's still some hair left. This protects them fine from sunburn.

#40 blade is a SURGICAL cut and should not be used as it will take the hair to close to the skin. A # 7 is normally used fine, soemtimes a 5 or 10 as well for different body parts.

Any shave will increase their chance of sunburn so sunscreen should be used and you need to be careful of the styles/kinds as well.

A Furminator is wonderful for getting that hair out as well.

I know many people choose to shave their long haired dogs. I only do if a medical reason requires it(mats,ringworm,etc) but that is my choice.

We have an English Springer Spaniel and we have him trimmed (short hair, not shaved) once or twice a year. Usually in the early Summer. We just did it a few weeks ago and he looks funny, but he's spends a lot less time licking and being assaulted with a brush.

I wouldn't want to see his skin, but it does make him more comfortable and eliminates any mats he gets on his ears (even with daily brushing spaniels get their ears in their food and water constantly...they will mat).

In between cuts by a professional dh trims the long hair on his legs when he gets into burrs (every month or so in the summer and fall).

We did not have him trimmed the first 2 years we had him, and I would say he seems a lot happier in the summer. He's more active, less inclined to do a lot of hard panting and hide out.

#40 blade is a SURGICAL cut and should not be used as it will take the hair to close to the skin. A # 7 is normally used fine, soemtimes a 5 or 10 as well for different body parts.

Yep, you're totally right, brain hiccup on my part.:) But I still think it depends on where you live. You're in PA and it's nice and cool there. I happen to live in a very hot and humid part of the country and heat stroke is a MAJOR problem. Generally the news tells everyone when to bring all their pets in for the summer and when they can let them back out in the winter. I realize most people's climates aren't quite this severe, but I don't know where the OP lives. When in doubt, you should probably ask your vet.

My husband wants to thank you all for putting a stop to me shaving Odie. He doesn't want a dorky looking dog. :lol: He is on his way to get some better dog brushes. If I can't get his hair under control, I will take him to the groomer next week for a trim. He acts totally assaulted every time I try to brush him, so it's not looking good. We adopted him at 2 years old, and I doubt he had ever been brushed in his life before he came to live here.

Thanks!!

I highly recommend buying a Furminator. We have 3 Golden Retrievers and it has been the most amazing thing for grooming them. Our oldest dog is very furry and filled FOUR Walmart bags the first time we used it on him!

We have the large yellow one which appears to be selling for $19.99 on Amazon at the moment. It's telling me $5 for shipping. I know they can be way more than that through the manufacturer and at pet stores. I think we paid $30 for ours 3 or 4 years ago.

i had a rescue Afghan Hound who had a horribly matted coat...of course Afghans are on the extreme end of long coated dogs, but once i had shaved about an 8" area on him i knew that i was in WAAAY over my head! if you are going to cut his coat back, let someone else do it! i promise it's worth the money.

:)

OK, I have seen this post all day now, and I have to have a funny/sarcastic moment.

Need advice from long-haired dog owners

Now, do you want advice about long-haired dogs, or

do you want advice from people with long-hair who own dogs?

:lol:

I'll just and hide back under my rock now.

We had a wonderful border collie sheltie mix but her coat was the beast! Even if I kept her brushed, she would mat up and look terrible as she was loosing her winter coat. When that happened I would take her to the groomers for a complete clean. The would trim the coat just a bit, and had all the necessary brushes, detanglers, and all that was needed. It was well worth the money spent. I think I had to do it twice one spring. The first time I had it done the groomer showed me 7 paper sacks of undercoat she had brushed out!

OK, I have seen this post all day now, and I have to have a funny/sarcastic moment.

That's funny!!

I have long hair so does my post count???:tongue_smilie:

Yep, you're totally right, brain hiccup on my part.:) But I still think it depends on where you live. You're in PA and it's nice and cool there. I happen to live in a very hot and humid part of the country and heat stroke is a MAJOR problem. Generally the news tells everyone when to bring all their pets in for the summer and when they can let them back out in the winter. I realize most people's climates aren't quite this severe, but I don't know where the OP lives. When in doubt, you should probably ask your vet.

Heat stroke is something that I deal with on at least a weekly basis in my parts of PA/NY as well. It can happen in almost any climate if the setting is right.

We still normally do not recommend full trims just because a dog appears hot and my breed of dog is a thick double under coated breed as well and I still would not.

But, my main point was just for the # 40 blade. Not the right one to use.I had a long day as well and understand the brain moments;)