Menu

Planners?

I was wondering what you all do for writing out your lesson plans? I saw the well planned day planner and it's very pretty but I also noticed that it's limited to the subjects they've printed, plus one or two to fill in on my own. I used R&S's planner this year but I really only used it for about 6 months.

I'd like something to break down the lesson plans by week and by subject but still have room for "extras" like project and supplies, field trips, things like that.

If you make your own, which program do you use? If you get something from online, where do you go? I've looked at Donna Young's website, but they still aren't *quite* what I'm looking for.

Thanks!!

Shannon

You know I've tried a few free online ones, I've tried printable ones, I've tried computer disc ones... and I've even made up a ton of ones I tried to use. It just never worked. The best thing I found that worked for me was to just use a plain notebook!

I write the date and then use each of the girls first initial then after that - the subject that they are doing and the pages or whatever their schoolwork is. I write what they do as they do it. I add in field trips or dvd's or computer work as they do it.

It is simple, easy, and I've been able to follow it!

hth!

I actually just bought one from someone on here. I love it! I like that subjects are not already pre written, that the days are not pre written. The side where the days would be on a regular planner is bubbles with mtwthfss in them. So, you can fill in if you want. Then on the side there is a space for notes.

Here is the link to it. It is the first one I have found I don't have to tweak.

I actually just bought one from someone on here. I love it! I like that subjects are not already pre written, that the days are not pre written. The side where the days would be on a regular planner is bubbles with mtwthfss in them. So, you can fill in if you want. Then on the side there is a space for notes.

:iagree:This is the one I've used for years. It's very flexible.

I made my own a number of years ago just using a table format on Word. I print out about 5 or 6 weeks worth and try to plan "easy" subjects (like math or grammar which are basically one lesson a day) a couple of weeks at a time. I write in lesson numbers, exercise numbers, etc. as needed. I also color-code the print for each child -- that way all I have to do is glance at the color to know at whose lesson plan sheet I'm looking.

As my children have grown, I do less and less of the planning. My three daughters, who are now in high school, plan their own work for the most part. I typically will type up a syllabus for a subject like history or literature with reading assignments, discussion dates, essay topics, etc, and they are responsible for scheduling it into their week. I'm guessing that my oldest who is leaving for college in the fall will be wanting me to send her blank lesson plan sheets for the semester.

PM me with an e-mail address and I'll be happy to e-mail you a copy if you're interested.

Yvonne

This looks great!

I have been using The Homeschool Student Planner http://www.urthemom.com/

and it has worked fairly well for us, but I have been looking for something different.

Mary in CO

I've tried SOOO many. You know what I ended up with? A standard school Mead Teacher's Plan Book:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/361171/Mead-Teacher-s-Plan-Book-8/?cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Google-_-Calendars_and_Planners-_-361171&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&mr:trackingCode=0E54DB1A-EC81-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Love it. And I have 5 grades going at this point. I just use the first initial of the child's name, the abbreviated assignment with page numbers. (Zaner-Bloser is ZB, Spelling Workout is SWO, IEW, etc.)

It has rows for 8 subjects. I use Bible, Math, Latin, Lang Arts, History, Science, Other, and preschool.

The key is what you will *USE.*

I use the Master Planner. It's very similar to The HomeSchooler's Journal someone posted a link to above. It's a pdf and you print what you need. I printed a attendance record sheet for each kid (required by my state). Each child has his own 3-ring binder. I then have a two page spread. Along the top are the dates. ALong the left side are the subjects. the one I use have them pre-printed but I believe they also come blank. At the end of the binder, I have the sheet which has the blanks across the top where I write in the subjects, then squares going down for each week. WHen I"m planning, I take the number of lessons in a curriculum and figure out how many I need to do each week, then I fill in those numbers. As we complete them, I highlight in yellow. For every subject, I can see at a glance if we're on target or not. In the planner, it also has weekly planners, checklists for you and/or the kids. I print what I need, if it doesn't work out, I haven't wasted anything but a sheet of paper.I bought mine when it was on sale for $5 and it was the best $5 ever spent. I just checked, it's still available for $5 download but you can download the freebie to try out.

I use the materials list to keep track of items borrowed or loaned. My friend and I extensively trade materials and this way, we know who has what.

Now what I'm looking for is a nice, bound planner for DS to use next year in 5th grade. I found one I liked but I would prefer something secular. That one had blurbs in it about setting goals and such.

Capt_Uhura

I love my Well Planned Day planner. It is the only planner that I have bought that I actually still use and plan on buying again for the new school year. The one down side that I found was the predetermined subject headings. I easily fixed this by simply using white out on the subjects. By doing this it has allowed me to write in my own headings. It takes less than a minute to white them out each week. I use this planner for two kids and would find it difficult to use for more than that even though it is designed to be used with up to four kids. When I rewrite the subject headings, I use only two lines instead of the four they provide. This way I have additional spaces for floating subjects and activities. I don't think there is any such thing as the "perfect planner", but this is the best for me.

This is the Homeschooler's High School Journal. Very similar to the Homeschooler's Journal. Both sites give views of the inside of the book.

Next year will be the first year I deviate from this planner. I'll only have one child to plan for so I'm trying the Well Planned Day Planner.

Everyone plans differently and has different needs so go with whatever works best for your family.

I bought a teacher's plan book from a local teacher's supply store. It is designed so you can lay it out how you want it. There is a two-page spread for each week with a horizontal row for each day M-F. You then draw in the columns however you want. I have a column for each subject and then a large blank area to list other stuff like books we are reading that week etc. Anyhow, it has been working great for me so far and I really had a hard time finding something that would.

It is called The Lesson Plan Book and it is published by Creative Teaching Press. ISBN 978-1-57471-412-8. It cost me $8.

Susan in TX

I'm glad to hear it's not just me that buys planners and ends up not using them. Or makes my own and I'm all gung ho and thrilled with myself and then.....end up using them for a couple of weeks or months. It makes me feel very.....unaccomplished. I'm not sure what would be the best. Finding a better planner? Creating one that is suited just to our needs? Giving up and not using one altogether?:confused:

Woolybear

I also meant to tell you...I plan for 6 weeks at a time, and print one week at a time and adjust every sunday night what needs to be changed for the following week. This has wored VERY WELL for us. I used to use a teacher book, but hated all the scratch-outs when things changed. Quint knows what to expect this way, and it is really easy to see what needs to be completed.

You know I've tried a few free online ones, I've tried printable ones, I've tried computer disc ones... and I've even made up a ton of ones I tried to use. It just never worked. The best thing I found that worked for me was to just use a plain notebook!

I write the date and then use each of the girls first initial then after that - the subject that they are doing and the pages or whatever their schoolwork is. I write what they do as they do it. I add in field trips or dvd's or computer work as they do it.

It is simple, easy, and I've been able to follow it!

hth!

I second the notebook paper! Used in PS when I taught too.

This is the Homeschooler's High School Journal. Very similar to the Homeschooler's Journal. Both sites give views of the inside of the book.

Next year will be the first year I deviate from this planner. I'll only have one child to plan for so I'm trying the Well Planned Day Planner.

Everyone plans differently and has different needs so go with whatever works best for your family.

That's the one I use, too. I have tried fancier, prettier ones, but I always come back to this one. It works no matter what style you employ or what curricula you use.