Menu

I need more LOL books!

We laughed out loud with:

Junie B. Jones (yes, I know some people hate them but we loved them)

Amelia Bedelia

A Year Down Yonder and Long Way to Chicago by Richard Peck

All Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle stories

Henry Huggins

A couple of years ago, we tried the Hank the Cowdog books. They weren't funny at all!

Oh we've read lots of books that we liked but we are specifically looking for really funny stories. Does anyone know of anything like the ones above that we liked? Unfortunately, we've outgrown Junie B. Jones and Amelia Bedlia.

I don't know anything about the books you listed, so don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I love Terry Pratchet's Discworld series (can be read in any order) My favourite is Reaper Man.

Edited by freerange

We love "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" and "The Best School Year ever".

We enjoyed "Mr. Poppin's Penguins" and the "Bunnicula" series. Yes, Bunnicula is supposedly a vampire bunny, but literally, this is all slapstick stuff, nothing scary - just harmless fun.

Also, if you like outdoorsy, camp humor, then I can recommend some of the stories from several of Pat McManus's humor books. I selectively read outloud to the family....Anything about Crazy Eddie Muldoon is hilarious. There is also his dog "strange" and the old woodsman Rancid Crabtree. If you read ahead and scan, you'll be able to tell which ones are good for the kidlets and which ones aren't. Probably my favorite collection is "Real Ponies Don't Go Oink".

Some of the stories from "The Tarantula in My Purse" were funny. Some weren't but the stories that weren't necessarily funny, were endearing.

Faith

I don't know anything about the books you listed, so don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I love Terry Pratchet's Discworld series (can be read in any order) My favourite is Reaper Man.

Terry Pratchett is awesome. We're reading his Tiffany Aching series (for young adults) -- The Wee Free Men; A Hat Full of Sky; and Wintersmith.

Excellent (and very, very funny) books!

We are in a Yiddish story mode lately. Many of them are blisteringly funny. Especially the stories about the fools from Chelm.

A few favorites by Isaac Bashevis Singer:

When Shlemiel Went to Warsaw

Zlateh the Goat and Other Stories

The Fools of Chelm and Their History

Bill

We laughed out loud with:

Junie B. Jones (yes, I know some people hate them but we loved them)

Amelia Bedelia

A Year Down Yonder and Long Way to Chicago by Richard Peck

All Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle stories

Henry Huggins

A couple of years ago, we tried the Hank the Cowdog books. They weren't funny at all!

Oh we've read lots of books that we liked but we are specifically looking for really funny stories. Does anyone know of anything like the ones above that we liked? Unfortunately, we've outgrown Junie B. Jones and Amelia Bedlia.

They might be too "young" for your dc but I LOVE Frog and Toad. They just cracked me up when I read them to dd. I second the Diary of a wimpy kid books too. They're pretty funny. I also love reading Winnie the Pooh. The whole thing with the "backson" cracks me up. :) Of course there are always joke books and mad libs too for some lol family time. :) Enjoy. :)

Laugh-out-loud family favorites here:

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman)

- The Whipping Boy (Fleischman)

- McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm (Fleischman)

- Trumpet of the Swan (White)

- Christmas Every Day (Howells)

- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson (Lord)

- Pippi in the South Seas (Astrid)

- Ben and I (Lawson)

- The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, Miss Bianca in the Orient (Sharpe)

- The Ordinary Princess (Kaye)

- "The First Letter" -- short story out of Just So Stories (Kipling)

- Half Magic; Magic by the Lake, Knight's Castle; Time Garden; Seven Day Magic (Eager)

- Five Children and It; The Phoenix and the Carpet; The Book of Dragons (Nesbit)

- The Reluctant Dragon (Grahame)

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (chapter of the Mad Hatter tea party) (Carroll)

enjoyed with pre-teens/teens:

- All Creatures Great and Small (Herriot)

- My Family and Other Animals (Durrell)

- Life With Jeeves (Wodehouse)

- No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (Smith)

- Heron Carvic's 5 mystery novels: Miss Seeton Draws the Line; Picture Miss Seeton; Witch Miss Seeton; Miss Seeton Sings; Odds on Miss Seeton (other authors have since continued the series but the newer authors are NOT funny)

- O. Henry short stories: "Harlem Tragedy"; "Ransom of Red Chief"

- James Thurber short story: "The Catbird Seat"

Edited by Lori D.
added info