Menu

Book a Week in 2010 - Book Week 13

Today is the start of book week 13 and should have you starting book # 13. Mr linky is now up and ready for you to link your reviews. You are all reading some very interesting books and my wish list is growing by leaps and bounds.

M is for Mars: This week is all about Kim Stanley Robinson who wrote many interesting science fiction/fantasy books and won many awards for his books.

What are you all reading this week?

Forgot to post last week! Here is what I've read since my last post:

#16 - Ethan Frome, by Edith Wharton. My first classic this year, and one I've reread several times over the years. A college prof who had the ability to make any book come alive stirred my interest in Ethan Frome. I still have my original, very old copy from college days. I had thought I'd reread it ONCE more, then toss it as it is held together with gumbands. There are so many books I either want to reread or read for the first time that it's time to purge my holdings and it's time to stop re-reading books for the umpteenth time - but - when I concluded this book - it went back on my shelves. I just couldn't toss it . . .

#17 - Three Churches and a Model T, by Philip Jerome Cleveland. I enjoy reading about the lives of pastoral families, especially set in the 1800's and early 1900's. This book wasn't quite what I expected, and some chapters left the reader hanging, but it was still enjoyable.

#18 - Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home, by Rhoda Janzen. Not sure why I plowed through to the end with this one. I guess I kept hoping the author would *redeem* herself in some way (not meant religiously in this case). She is a good writer, but I felt like she went out of her way to be *in her parents' faces*. Seemed very disrespectful. A disappointing book.

#19 - The Glass Castle: A Memoir, by Jeannette Walls. Thank you, Hive ladies, for recommending this book! A page turner. Am looking forward to reading her latest, which I have on hold at the library.

I am currently reading:

#20 - Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. My second classic for this year, and another re-read. Probably the fifth or sixth time I've read it since high school (a LONG time ago).:D

Well, I spent spring break doing projects around the house. Not much reading. I read Percy Jackson and The Olympians--The Demigod Files which was my birthday present. It's not as good as the novels--just a few short stories really. I wouldn't even count it except that I didn't get anything else read. I just started The Aeneid for Boys and Girls by Alfred Church--pre-reading for next year. I should probably read the full version--I have Fagles on the shelf--but I have a much better chance of getting this one finished!

Just finished The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie Macdonald for my book group. It was a disquieting book. Someone posted this remark on the Amazon site for her previous book, Fall on Your Knees, and it's an apt description of my feelings for the one I read -- "The only way that I can describe Fall on Your Knees is to compare it to a car accident. You don't want to look, but you can't stop yourself."

I've also been reading some lighter books in the fantasy/paranormal category. I just raced through J. D. Robb's Fantasy in Death. I also recently read and enjoyed Laura Anne Gilman's fifth novel in the Retriever's series, Blood from Stone.

Regards,

Kareni

I finished Beauty for Truth's Sake by Stratford Caldicott. This book gave me much food for thought. I really enjoyed it! I am now reading Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenneger (sp?) I am halfway finished. So far, it is very good but I am afraid that the ending is not going to be a good one.

I'm currently reading & enjoying Cotton by Christopher Wilson.

From amazon:

"Wilson's winning 20th-century picaresque wanders from the Deep South to the Midwest and on to San Francisco, following its protagonist through multiple and surprising identities. If the locales exude a faint whiff of familiarity, Lee Cotton, the book's shape-shifting main character, has a body (and a mind) that keeps things interesting. Beginning life as a "black soul in a white wrapper," Lee leaves Mississippi after a horrific beating at the hand of a local racist. He passes for white in St. Louis, getting work as a hospital orderly. But fate has more changes in store. A freak accident and doctoring by an "offbeat" surgeon have him embark on a new life as a woman... and then Lee's skin starts to darken. Wilson (Mischief) offers readers both a sharp-eyed, amusing ramble through America from the 1950s to the '70s and a critique of exclusionary identity politics. As Lee tells a heckler late in the book, "All my life I been hounded for being born the wrong color, or the wrong sex, or dating the wrong person, or living in the wrong place. We ain't what we're born. We're what we do with ourselves." Though marred by a somewhat hokey ending, this book is nevertheless very funny, profoundly endearing and highly memorable."

Last Five Books I've read in 2010:

8. Lottery by Patricia Wood

9. The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

10. Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

11. Clutter Busting by Brooks Palmer

12. The Power of Less by Leo Babauta

Currently reading Bleak House, Dickens. I just love that guy. Whenever I pick up any of his books I get so inspired(and totally hooked) - I just love and admire his gift for character development and his natural way with words. I can't believe it took me so long to get to this book!

I'm now reading Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.

That's next on my list. I started it, but set it aside to read "What Jane Austen Ate..."

Currently reading Bleak House, Dickens. I just love that guy. Whenever I pick up any of his books I get so inspired(and totally hooked) - I just love and admire his gift for character development and his natural way with words. I can't believe it took me so long to get to this book!

I love Dickens. However, after reading a few blurbs about him in Inside Victorian Homes I think of him in a new light. He may have been disgusted with the treatment of the poor in his day, but he didn't seem to believe in womens rights. I need to read more in depth about him to know more though.

Margery Kempe is on ly list as well. I need to buy the book first. :tongue_smilie:

Margery Kempe is on ly list as well. I need to buy the book first. :tongue_smilie:

That's my trouble too. I'm going to search the local second hand bookshops on Thursday and hopefully I will find a copy. I'm not sure what sorts of terrors would be unleashed if I had to buy online. Who knows what sorts of expensive things would fall into my online shopping cart? :eek:

Rosie

P.S. Like this

Don't know if it counts or not, lol, but we just finished Zorgamazoo as a (YA) read-aloud. It is *such* a fun book for the reader because the rhyming makes it an absolute delight to read aloud.

http://www.zorgamazoo.com/audioexcerpt.html

----------------------------------------------------

Books I've read with my dc/young adult books in 2010:

1. The Anybodies by N. E. Bode

2. The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

3. The Nobodies by N. E. Bode

4. The Wooden Mile: Something Wickedly Weird: Vol. 1 by Chris Mould

5. Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston

Well, I am not sure what I AM going to read, but I am sure what I am not going to finish...

~~Outlander (just can't get into it. Read another book by the same title by mistake and I loved it...LOL)

I am trying to read the Looking Glass Wars...but it is too juvenille.

I did finish the Lightning Thief books ...all 5 of them.

And I ordered the new Michael Crieghton Novel from the library, so maybe that will come tomorrow.

I am also readling to my littles:

Little Town on the Prairie and Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin...by Marguerite Henry. Do those count?

Faithe

I read Just Judy in my continuing quest to read all of the Jean Webster books referred to in Dear Pen Pal. I'll be picking up The Two Towers at the libary this week, and if I finish it this week I'll post here again. I somehow missed the link to week 12, but posted there today for that week. I'm still reading History of the Ancient World but don't expect to finish it until the summer since I'm reading it along with my dd so that it's fresh when I grade her assignments.

I finally finished The Well Educated Mind and wrote up a summary. I'm still trying to finish The Iliad but have decided to take a break and do some fun reading. This week I'm hoping to finish the first 2 books in the Harry Potter series and am looking forward to something light and fun.

I'm getting dd through the Illiad by playing a recording of it (same translation) while she reads it. I got both the book and the recording from our library network.

I finished reading An Echo in the Bone - the latest in the Outlander series. It was okay, I was a bit frustrated because so many pages were devoted to some minor characters that really weren't all that interesting. Then the good parts at the end seemed extremely rushed and the book ended on several enormous cliffhangers. Of course the next book won't be out for a few years. *Sigh*

Today I'm starting Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. :D

I read The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate since my dd is going to read it. New historical fiction by a woman who is both a practising physician & lawyer. It takes place in Texas in 1899 & is worth reading for your dc. The herione is 11 & into natural science.

I read The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate since my dd is going to read it. New historical fiction by a woman who is both a practising physician & lawyer. It takes place in Texas in 1899 & is worth reading for your dc. The herione is 11 & into natural science.

Thanks for the review. I had seen that book & thought my dc would like it....