Menu

WTM Food Revolutionaries, can anyone (everyone?) offer a Lesson in Lentils?

What is different about the various types/colors of lentils?

Is there a particular way to prepare them that helps maintain the lentil's firmness?

What is your favorite (and especially your children's favorite) way to prepare them?

What do you serve with lentils.

Are they a good substitute for 'meat' meals?

Any tips for a family who hasn't encountered a lentil outside its plastic bag in the grocery aisle?

:lol: Did you see my lentil thread?

I have a pot of red lentils simmering on the stove right now. I adapted this recipe from RecipeZaar. I didn't have cabbage (wouldn't use it anyway...) so I just added more lentils. I threw in a couple of heads-worth of broccoli florets as well. I used chicken stock (because that's what we had), red Thai curry paste, a few generous spoonfuls of curry from a souk in "the desert" (dh is military and brought some back), and about 4 ounces of coconut milk.

My family seems to like them prepared with curry rather than the famous "honey lentils" that everyone else loves (me included). We generally serve over basmati or jasmine rice, and have some fruit or a middle-eastern or Asian style cucumber salad. DH likes to take them for lunch the next day.

Red lentils tend to be a little smaller than green, and don't seem quite as mealy to me. There are a few kinds of green. I honestly treat them all the same when it comes to cooking. I'm sure there are some differences that I don't know, but I do know that my family WILL eat them, unlike split peas or other dried legumes.

:lol: Did you see my lentil thread?

:D No, I missed that until now.

Hunter and I decided this morning that we Must figure out what to do with this bag of lentils in the pantry, and that tomorrow is the day.

I'm nervous that I'm going to mess them up and nobody will eat tomorrow. :001_huh:

I have a pot of red lentils simmering on the stove right now. I adapted this recipe from RecipeZaar. I didn't have cabbage (wouldn't use it anyway...) so I just added more lentils. I threw in a couple of heads-worth of broccoli florets as well. I used chicken stock (because that's what we had), red Thai curry paste, a few generous spoonfuls of curry from a souk in "the desert" (dh is military and brought some back), and about 4 ounces of coconut milk.

That sounds wonderful. My family does love curry, so that could be a great place to start.

I love this honey lentils recipe http://happyfoody.blogspot.com/2006/10/honey-baked-lentils.html I usually add a carrot and a turnip to mine. I have seen some recipes that call for bacon, I don't really find it necessary.

That recipe looks yummy BikeBookBread, sadly I have no cilantro. :( I am not very good with lentils. I really do need to use lentils more.

Edited by Sis

Not well versed in lentils, per se, but I do like them :).

They need to be rinsed well. That much I do know.

One of my favorite recipes is Mujadarrah. With this recipe, I use brown rice, so I just put it in the pot as the same time with the lentils. I use more than just 1 onion. I also add a little cumin - about 1 tsp or so - about mid way through (usually when I remember it) and squeeze 1/2 a lemon over it at the end. I serve it with pitas and greek chopped salad (chopped cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes, green peppers, little lemon juice, salt/pepper, and feta).

Another thing you could do that is pretty safe is toss some into a vegetable soup. Brown or green ones usually are done in under/about 30 min. Spinach pairs well with lentils in soups.

ETA - I've never had honey lentils - they look delicious!

Edited by LauraGB

I used to use brown lentils, but now I hardly ever do (only in koshary), but I do love red lentils. They're really flexible and I think they have a milder flavor than brown lentils. However, red lentils pretty much always cook into mush, so if you want firmer lentils, then don't use red. I have substituted brown lentils for ground beef in the past, in equal amounts.

My best advice is to just start trying recipes. I think the people who've been cooking with lentils forever are the best ones to get the recipes from, but there are lots of good recipes out there. Here are some links to a few of our favorites (besides the koshary linked above): kichree, red lentil soup, dal with coconut milk, and dal with lime.

I like all lentils. I recommend soaking them overnight or for at least a few hours, to help them cook faster, and also to make them easier to digest, and reduce the gas factor.

Red lentils, and other smaller lentils, turn to mush readily, but they are meant to. The larger brown or green lentils can stay quite firm if you dont overcook them.

Brown lentils have a strong flavour and can be quite "meaty", I find. They go well with strong flavoured sauces.

I may dhal frequently. My favourite lentils for dhal are split mung dhal lentils- they don't take long to cook- same time as the rice.

I often toss lentils of any color in the crockpot with potato chunks, carrots, celery, and onion. I like curry, so I often season with that, but sometimes I opt for adding in garlic, olive oil, and sea salt.

How much water/broth do you use in this? 2c liquid per 1c lentils? It sounds really good, and really easy. :)

There are basically 3 types commonly (or semi-commonly) available here in the USA, with sub-types.

The most common are Brown lentils. These range from medium size (which are usually brown) to larger greener types. I like the smaller ones. These make great lentil soups and are rather "meaty" in taste and texture.

Then there are smaller firmer Lentils. Two outstanding varieties are French "Du Puy" Lentils (which are speckled green) and Beluga Black Lentils (even smaller than Du Puy) that are jet-black. Both these stay quite firm if not overcooked (unlike Brown Lentils which go soft). This makes them a perfect choice for Lentil Salads.

Then there are Red Lentils. These cook the most quickly, and have the softest (almost mushy) texture. But they have a beautiful color and take spicing well. They can also be pureed to smooth dal, which maximizes their soft texture.

If you've never had Du Puy or Black Belugas they are worth seeking out. Combine them with a riot of colorful diced peppers, Scallions, shredded red cabbage, minced Italian parsley or any other colorful vegetable or herb in season, and dress with olive oil, balsamic, sea-salt, and garlic and you have a feast!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I don't measure any thing when cooking lentils.

Water, probably about 5-6 cups to start

bag of lentils

onion, celery, carrots, all chopped

salt - it might take more than you think it should for a god taste.

pepper

garlic

Bring it all to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Check the water level periodically. Depending on the type of lentil you'll have a nice dish in 30-60 minutes. Serve over rice or by itself in a bowl.

Here is my current favorite lentil recipe---I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and olive oil rather than canola. The lemon juice and zest really add a lovely zing to this soup--I serve it with extra lemon wedges....http://www.parenting.com/recipes-article/Mom/Recipes/Lemony-Lentil-Soup-with-Greens/

This is so yummy!

Personally, I think they are better if not kept firm. A mashed-potato-like consistency, especially for red lentils, is yummy.

ETA: Puy lentils are better firm, however.

Two good recipes:

Saute one chopped onion and garlic to taste in butter or good oil until soft but not coloured. Add in equal quantities of ground cumin and coriander (start with one teaspoon of each) and a little ginger (if desired). Stir the spices with the onions for ten seconds or so, then add a cup of dry red lentils (no need to soak - just rinse) and broth to more than cover. Simmer until the lentils are soft, then add salt and pepper to taste. You will probably have to add extra liquid too. I make this to a mashed potato texture and serve with brown rice and a green veg. You could thin it out to make a soup instead.

Our you can just throw lentils (any colour) into whatever winter vegetable soup you are making - they add texture, protein and fibre, making it a full meal soup.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

How much water/broth do you use in this? 2c liquid per 1c lentils? It sounds really good, and really easy. :)

Well, I'm not so great about measuring things..... That ratio sounds about right. When I cook lentils and beans I check on them pretty often and add liquid if they are drying up, or strain liquid off at the end if there is some left.

We love lentils here! We usually just make soup, though - haven't attempted anything too creative - so I'm excited to read about what everyone else is doing with theirs.

Lentil soup is great for freezing. Sometimes I think the frozen, reheated soup tastes better than it did when it was fresh-made.