Menu

Wow! Excellent history overview for middle school or upper elementary!

Wendi

Ds and I were at the library, and picked up THIS from the new books section. It's like a Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, but way more fun!!

Each two-page spread is done in a different artistic style, and the creativity is wonderful! For example, a Roman soldier is depicted as an action figure, with his package describing all his features. His weapons are accessories in separate packages. Then, there is an "Alex the Great" webpage layout. Many leaders of Rome are described in a yearbook-style layout (goals, voted most likely to..., etc.). This book is almost impossible to put down! I will definitely be buying my own copy! Ds can't wait to read it.

Wendi

Isn't there some rule about you having to give us the $$$ for the book you recommend when you post about it? :)

Hey, you're one step ahead of me and using Around the World in 180 Days. How are you liking it? Any tips or comments? If you don't want a hijack, you could reply privately. I'm still in the middle of my hot and heavy planning and pulling together of resources and welcome any wisdom. :)

It was very reasonably priced at amazon -- as were the other two books I ordered :glare:.

The kids are going to love the book you suggested as well as the other two I purchased. Thanks!:)

And I'm glad I purchased it b/c all four of the copies at our library are checked out so who knows how long we would have to wait for it.

Edited by MariannNOVA

Thanks, that looks awesome! I also ordered Pick Me Up and Do Not Open. They seem to be in the same style and look really neat. DK has some really awesome books. They've been getting a lot of my money lately...

We saw Pick Me Up, too. I should have checked it out. We did get "Open Me Up", which is wonderful. Ds was reading it at bedtime.

Wendi

Edited by Wendi

I, too, just ordered Pick Me Up, Open Me Up, and Take Me Back! :tongue_smilie:
I managed to just save them in my wishlist... along with the three One Million Things books.

:drool:

It was very reasonably priced at amazon -- as were the other two books I ordered :glare:.

:lol: Same here! Went to look at one book, ended up buying 3. It took all of...maybe 62 seconds?

Thanks for the recommendation - can't wait til it arrives!

Is Open Me Up appropriate for a 7 year old boy? He reads well (high school level), so I'm mostly concerned about any reproductive pictures...he's been told the facts, but I try not to get him any body books with pictures.

So is this one I should preview or would I be safe ordering it for him?

Is Open Me Up appropriate for a 7 year old boy? He reads well (high school level), so I'm mostly concerned about any reproductive pictures...he's been told the facts, but I try not to get him any body books with pictures.

So is this one I should preview or would I be safe ordering it for him?

There are a couple of pictures, but nothing terribly graphic. There is a page on puberty, featuring a cartoon boy and girl describing the changes they're going through (nothing is shown). There are diagrams showing male and female body parts, a cutaway drawing of a breast, etc. Sex is mentioned, but not in any detail. There are pictures showing fetal development. You'd probably want to preview it; if needed, you could remove those few pages until your ds is older. My ds is 13, and I had no problem with him looking at them.

HTH,

Wendi