Menu

How do you get it all done in a day and how much do you do?

Well, from your sig line, it looks like you're doing a lot, and it also looks like it's not that streamlined. For example, the bigger kids are doing different math programs, and you have several items that I consider teacher-intensive. Plus, you have four little children! :001_smile:

My bigger kids (10 and 12) do a fair amount, but I do less when they're little. My 5yo has math (one page of MUS), handwriting (HWOT - a couple pages and some wood letter and/or chalkboard work) and phonics (A part of the page of Phonics Pathways and/or magnet letters and/or Bob books). That's it. Anything else he manages to be a part of is gravy. Oh, and we read before bed every night.

I try to keep in mind that my worst day homeschooling is better than the best day in public school.

I am homeschooling and working to support me and my kids so I have had to let stuff go. What we have ended up doing is just setting a time for school. We prioritize during that time and what we get done, we get done. I've found that it helps me to not do anything else during that time - no dishes, no answering the phone, etc. Sometimes the littler people need extra attention, but I try to give them stuff to do so I can focus on school. Then, when we finish our time we all have a sense of accomplishment even if we didn't get to every single thing.

I think it helps to have a mission statement so that you know what your priorities are too.

Could you let your boys off the hook until they are ready to settle down and "do school" -- and have no guilt about it? ;) Our K'er and 3s have a very light "Seat Work" morning, some play time, maybe an afternoon "subject" (e.g., Mommy reads and/or we do a related activity), and pre-nap and pre-bedtime Read Alouds.

FWIW, I'd focus on the girls:

• Have you considered setting up work boxes (or something similar) for the 2nd grader and the 6th grader? We have set up something similar :D and it really does help to make the work flow better/smoother. Perhaps this system would increase your worktime efficiency?
  • Aim to get your 6th grader working as independently as possible, while still having a scheduled time to "discuss" with her each day.
  • Aim to get your 2nd grader to work as independently as possible, while still having a scheduled direct teaching time with her each day.
  • Aim to get your boys playing independently for part of each school day -- without fighting, whining, arguing, complaining! :tongue_smilie: (That's the trick, isn't it? My twins have recently discovered COMPETITION! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly: Makes for an interesting math lesson with the K'er. Sigh.)
  • If you feel that you honestly CAN'T let the boys off the hook, could you alternate days? Make Monday, Wednesday, Friday your girls' days with Teacher/Mother time, while the boys are required to play without "needing" you much. Then assign the independent work (worksheets, reading, writing?, math fact practice, memory work, listening to music, etc.) to the girls on Tuesdays and Thursdays (mornings only?), while you work with the boys to teach basic phonics and do younger-age read alouds. BTW, I'd lose track of where my brain was if I had to switch gears between four levels, so maybe the less you have to switch gears, the better it'll be?

And finally, ask yourself, "Does a formal math lesson REALLY matter for a five year old? For a seven year old? For a twelve year old?" and "Does a phonics lesson REALLY matter for a five year old?" and so on.... The varied answers to these questions will help you know what to focus on for each of your children. HTH.

We use a MOTH schedule to fit everything in that we do. Even then we have interruptions and chaotic days or weeks. On chaotic days the schedule helps me prioritize what is most essential to finish and what we can skip if need be.

Looking at your list, if I needed to make cuts, it would be health and geography. We did geography in the fall, but I decided to wait and pick it up over the summer to finish this year. Health could also be done in the summer if it's a requirement in your state. HTH

Could you let your boys off the hook until they are ready to settle down and "do school" -- and have no guilt about it? ;) Our K'er and 3s have a very light "Seat Work" morning, some play time, maybe an afternoon "subject" (e.g., Mommy reads and/or we do a related activity), and pre-nap and pre-bedtime Read Alouds.

FWIW, I'd focus on the girls:

• Have you considered setting up work boxes (or something similar) for the 2nd grader and the 6th grader? We have set up something similar :D and it really does help to make the work flow better/smoother. Perhaps this system would increase your worktime efficiency?

• Aim to get your 6th grader working as independently as possible, while still having a scheduled time to "discuss" with her each day.

• Aim to get your 2nd grader to work as independently as possible, while still having a scheduled direct teaching time with her each day.

• Aim to get your boys playing independently for part of each school day -- without fighting, whining, arguing, complaining! :tongue_smilie: (That's the trick, isn't it? My twins have recently discovered COMPETITION! :willy_nilly::willy_nilly: Makes for an interesting math lesson with the K'er. Sigh.)

• If you feel that you honestly CAN'T let the boys off the hook, could you alternate days? Make Monday, Wednesday, Friday your girls' days with Teacher/Mother time, while the boys are required to play without "needing" you much. Then assign the independent work (worksheets, reading, writing?, math fact practice, memory work, listening to music, etc.) to the girls on Tuesdays and Thursdays (mornings only?), while you work with the boys to teach basic phonics and do younger-age read alouds. BTW, I'd lose track of where my brain was if I had to switch gears between four levels, so maybe the less you have to switch gears, the better it'll be?

And finally, ask yourself, "Does a formal math lesson REALLY matter for a five year old? For a seven year old? For a twelve year old?" and "Does a phonics lesson REALLY matter for a five year old?" and so on.... The varied answers to these questions will help you know what to focus on for each of your children. HTH.

:bigear: I'm listening in because I am drowning with this school thing and just today have decided to PITCH some of these teacher intensive programs in favor of something more realistic that will actually get done!!

To the OP: I FEEL your struggles.

Sahamamama,

Any specific ideas on HOW to move our children (especially the 2nd grade age group) toward independence? Is it simply curricula?

I am not an expert on the items you are using, but couldn't you combine the older two in history and health? Like have the oldest do more independent reading with more writing, more indepth of that time you are studing. Then the younger tag along yet read books at her level? Still doing the same program? This would be a lot less on you. Also combine the geography into what your history is. I know SOTW has some geography, you could expand from there. Still having the 2 older ones working on the same time era, same curriculum, and such.

Then couldn't you find a way to combine your 2nd graders LA subjects? Like make the reading, grammar, handwriting and spelling run more together. Instead of using all those different curricula?

I would personally leave your ds5 just like it is. When your older two are reading, doing math or whatever get his schooling done. Then off he goes to play. Then finish up with the older two. Well split it up like if dd2nd needs more help in math, teach her math while dd6th is doing an independent subject and so forth.

I think it is all about making the best of the time you have. If geography is not done daily, then so be it. Make sure your basics are covered then throw in the others where needed.

Are you doing history, geography, health, science, and all the rest daily? If so that probably is what is getting you. We do history and science 2-3 times a week (yet not on the same days), geography gets combined in with history and is done by itself once a week. Then health goes hand in hand with science. Then our actual Art program we do on Wednesdays, (it is our libraries story day so we make it our fun day). Our LA program has everything (phonics, spelling, reading, writing, all of it) so that cuts our time down. We do math and LA daily. Everything works well together as long as you are not trying to do all of it all the time.

Also we use a modified version on the workboxes, well it has none of the tags and schedules. It is less work on me, yet everything gets done. What we do is use those sterilite drawers (the 3 drawer ones), I put each a subject in each drawer. I fill these the night before or that morning. I don't worry what order they get done in, as long as the do. Now in each drawer it will have any manips, materials, paper, workbooks, etc that is needed for that lesson that day. This way there is not the getting up all the time to go get something. Also on top of the drawers is our stack of readers/read a loud books for that day. Once all drawers and books are done. We are done. This also cuts down on the "are we done yet" my son likes to ask.

Edited by hsmom

I am really struggling to get everything done. We do alot, but I dont know what I can cut out! Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have learned to let go of things. My K-3rd graders learn history and science with audio books and read aloud time. We concentrate on Phonics & Math.

I know it's not the WTM way but it's the Homeschooling6 way and it's working for us :D.

My 1-3rd graders (give or take a year ;)):

• The Phonics Road-phonics, spelling, reading & writing
  • Math (some use MM others CLE)
  • Audio book, read aloud and listen in on older sibling history and science

I have learned to let go of things. My K-3rd graders learn history and science with audio books and read aloud time. We concentrate on Phonics & Math.

I know it's not the WTM way but it's the Homeschooling6 way and it's working for us :D.

This is the BEST counsel I've heard in a long time. I'm humbled and challenged right now. I LOVE "the Homeschooling6 way". That is a gem!!

Well, if you will notice the things in my sig it looks like a lot.

With Math, Abeka is our main program. MM is only a couple of blue units for remediation. In spelling, Phonics Road is our main program and AAS 2 is only a couple of lessons for remediation.

FLL 1&2 was started when she was 5. We are in WWE 1 and doing that pretty quickly. The geography, history and science are all expected to last for at least 2 school years. ;)

Of course I am dealing with less than you. I just wanted to let you know how differently things can be than what someone's sig line seems they are doing.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Since DS is only home for 5 months I dont stress too much about SS and Science but he really stinks at writing. We are using Saxon 6/5 for him and he is technically in 5th. There is nothing that he doesn't know as soon as I go over it with him so that helps. We are working hard on IEW US History and it takes over an hour to get him going and motivated! He doesn't like to read either so it is a daily struggle. We do about 3-4 hours per day but only b/c we dont hit on everything. Remember the WTM even says not to stress the history and science stuff at the younger ages.

We do science and history daily, we do geography M,W&F and health Tu & Thurs. I had thought about doing world history together, and started with SOTW but that was way below my 6th graders level. Maybe I will start doing MOH with both of them. Any thoughts on that being too hard for a 2nd grader?

Sahamama--I do LOVE the workboxes idea and am going to get some sort of system like that going!!! Thank You for that suggestion!! My 5 year old really doesnt do alot. He tells me when he wants to "do school" and then we do it until he is ready to go play. Sometimes 5 mins a day sometimes 25 mins a say but not alot. And my 4 year old doesnt do anything. (except the occasionaly letter people DVD-- he LOVES those)

Any suggestions for streamlining? Im open for suggestions!!!!

This is the BEST counsel I've heard in a long time. I'm humbled and challenged right now. I LOVE "the Homeschooling6 way". That is a gem!!

You know, Katrina, it was very humbling for me. It was not easy letting go. I admit there are days when I feel like "why can't I do that?" Usually when I read about how much others fit into their school day, but it doesn't last long. I have learned to be happy and content with where we are at and am happy to read about those who can fit in much. I think it's wonderful:hurray: .

I like to encourage mamas to do a little less. I see so many homeschooling mamas stressed out with educating their little ones. My heart goes out to them, because I have walked in their shoes. I wrote a little about it here on my blog.

We do quite a bit every day and the MOST important thing for us is to always get started on time. If we don't start at 7am the whole day falls apart. (And it is only dd12 and dd10 that need to start at 7, many days the two younger kids aren't even out of bed yet.)

I'm listening in because I am drowning with this school thing and just today have decided to PITCH some of these teacher intensive programs in favor of something more realistic that will actually get done!! Sahamamama, any specific ideas on HOW to move our children (especially the 2nd grade age group) toward independence? Is it simply curricula?

:lol: Don't listen to ME!???! I'm just figuring it out, too! But I have learned one thing lately: She doesn't NEED me for everything (gasp? cry? sigh of relief?).

I am trying to introduce the concept, teach/discuss/explain it, ask questions to check for understanding and/or ask to see her begin the work, and then I walk away..... Oh, that is so hard for me to do! Is the work perfect when I come back? Not always. Then we patiently and gently go over it, and talk about how to learn from however the work was done. We fix it, sometimes, and move on to the next thing.

One thing I have done that really helps me here: I do the set up apart from "school time," usually the night before. On Sunday evening, I line up ALL the work for the week (and make up a simple checklist of the week's work). Then, I divide the work into four piles, and try to even it out (we do four days of seatwork, five days of read alouds). Then I can simply pull the work out in the morning. I line it up on a long table, and I alternate written and oral work (e.g., handwriting, then phonics; spelling, then grammar; math lesson, then fact drill). Alternating oral with written seems to speed it up, because we can get work done while her hand is "getting a break." We work our way down the table, and when the table is cleared off (or nearly cleared off), we're done. Of course, if the weather is NICE, we do handwriting, math, and spelling, and head out the door. Grammar can wait for rain.....

Edited by Sahamamama

:lol: Don't listen to ME!???! I'm just figuring it out, too! But I have learned one thing lately: She doesn't NEED me for everything (gasp? cry? sigh of relief?).

I am trying to introduce the concept, teach/discuss/explain it, ask questions to check for understanding and/or ask to see her begin the work, and then I walk away..... Oh, that is so hard for me to do! Is the work perfect when I come back? Not always. Then we patiently and gently go over it, and talk about how to learn from however the work was done. We fix it, sometimes, and move on to the next thing.

One thing I have done that really helps me here: I do the set up apart from "school time," usually the night before. On Sunday evening, I line up ALL the work for the week (and make up a simple checklist of the week's work). Then, I divide the work into four piles, and try to even it out (we do four days of seatwork, five days of read alouds). Then I can simply pull the work out in the morning. I line it up on a long table, and I alternate written and oral work (e.g., handwriting, then phonics; spelling, then grammar; math lesson, then fact drill). Alternating oral with written seems to speed it up, because we can get work done while her hand is "getting a break." We work our way down the table, and when the table is cleared off (or nearly cleared off), we're done. Of course, if the weather is NICE, we do handwriting, math, and spelling, and head out the door. Grammar can wait for rain.....

:D Your table idea ROCKS! It's kinda like "workpiles" instead of workboxes. I think ORGANIZATION is a big key to getting things done. Sigh. I feel like I'm losing my mind!! :lol:

We get everything done, everyday...but I only have 2 kids and both of them are doing school! My older son works independently except for the following: Math speed drill, oral reading twice a week, English (instruction...he does the work), and read aloud time (when I read to him). We also do the singing part of his music together once a week and discuss the oral reading he does for me twice a week. Otherwise, i am here to answer questions but he is on his own (and does great with it!)

My little one needs my attention for most of his work. I work with him while my older son works alone. Ususally I am finished with ds6 by the time ds10 needs me to work with him.

Again...2 kids, not 4 though.

ETA: We do use workboxes. It has made my homeschooling days SO.MUCH.BETTER. My older son knows what to do, what order to do it in, etc. He can mix and match the independent stuff, but his breaks are scheduled and the boxes before the breaks have to be refilled before he can take a break. It has taken the 20 questions game out of our homeschool day. :)

Edited by Tree House Academy

You know, Katrina, it was very humbling for me. It was not easy letting go. I admit there are days when I feel like "why can't I do that?" Usually when I read about how much others fit into their school day, but it doesn't last long. I have learned to be happy and content with where we are at and am happy to read about those who can fit in much. I think it's wonderful:hurray: .

I like to encourage mamas to do a little less. I see so many homeschooling mamas stressed out with educating their little ones. My heart goes out to them, because I have walked in their shoes. I wrote a little about it here on my blog.

Yes, I read that post about a month ago, and it helped me calm down. ;) Thanks!

For us, workboxes have made a big difference in how much we can accomplish. It keeps everything organized (no lost books/papers etc...) and keeps my kids moving through the day. Here's pics & a description of ours.

Merry :-)

Merry,

These drawer units are the ones from Staples, right? Isis brand?

Are you happy with their durability? Do the drawers come all the way out so they can be taken to a workspace? Do they wheel around if needed? Are you able to fit a 3-ring binder in the drawer? Any thing about these particular drawers that you have been unhappy with?

:iagree: My oldest is only in 2nd grade, but I've already determined that if I am to win this long race, I must cut things out. I have a lot of kids, and I have to be realistic with my expectations. With my 2nd grader, I spend about 90 min/day with her one-on-one. Her 90 minute period includes 20min for CM dictation (spelling, grammar, handwriting), 30min for math (RightStart C), 15min for WWE2, and then we rotate reading aloud, religion, IEW poetry memorization, and cursive with our remaining time. We cover everything else informally through her silent reading and my read alouds. My Ker gets 20 min for his schooling. He does handwriting everyday and then we rotate phonics and math every other day. It works for us.

:iagree: My oldest is only in 2nd grade, but I've already determined that if I am to win this long race, I must cut things out. I have a lot of kids, and I have to be realistic with my expectations. With my 2nd grader, I spend about 90 min/day with her one-on-one. Her 90 minute period includes 20min for CM dictation (spelling, grammar, handwriting), 30min for math (RightStart C), 15min for WWE2, and then we rotate reading aloud, religion, IEW poetry memorization, and cursive with our remaining time. We cover everything else informally through her silent reading and my read alouds. My Ker gets 20 min for his schooling. He does handwriting everyday and then we rotate phonics and math every other day. It works for us.

". . . this long race . . . " lends much needed perspective!

This is what has worked best for me. For each week, and one week's work may stretch to two, each child has their own color coded to do list. (Readings, math, etc. ) I have a copy of each of their color coded sheets in a binder that I keep a long with a color coded divider w. pocket. I also have my to-do's in this binder. This has helped me know what needs to be done, what has been done, etc. It also gives me and the kids a sense of accomplishment.

Maybe I will start doing MOH with both of them. Any thoughts on that being too hard for a 2nd grader?

We are using MOH this year as a 'super spine'. I read it aloud, we discuss, and then different age groups can do their own work with their own level spine. So, my logic age kids use Illustrated Kingfisher, while grammar age kids (including 2nd grader) use SOTW and Usborne Internet linked Encyclopedia. So, my 2nd grader still listens in on MOH, and still gets something out of it, and will then move to the relevant SOTW section. There are age relevant activities listed after each reading in MOH too, which is nice. :)

HTH

Has anybody used to MOH audio? How is that? Would that be too much for a 2nd grader? Im thinking about having that playing during breakfast or lunch or something? What do you think about that?

I think that's great. My dc listne during naps and bed time. We do a lot of learning with audio. MOH, SOTW, DW and so forth.

My third child is going to be in 4th grade next school year so I'm going to start MOH with him and have the younger ones listen in. I'm going to slowly add in some map work and such. I don't plan to add much to it. I wrote HERE the few books that we will add.

Extra learning happens so naturally. You can see my kids interested in birds & wolves. If I was more creative or made the effort we could have made notebooks adding poems, copywork and sketches :D but we didn't. With the birds we looked them up in books and online. The wolves all started with me reading Julie of the Wolves.

Merry,

These drawer units are the ones from Staples, right? Isis brand?

Are you happy with their durability? Do the drawers come all the way out so they can be taken to a workspace? Do they wheel around if needed? Are you able to fit a 3-ring binder in the drawer? Any thing about these particular drawers that you have been unhappy with?

Yes, I'm using the ones from Staples. Not sure on the brand name, never looked, LOL!

I've used them for a year, and they have been very durable. I did have one little tab break off, but you can't see or feel it--basically can't tell that it happened. (There are tabs that you can press in to take the shelves apart and add more--even the top comes off so that you can add more shelves on top.). This year my son has put his Apologia General Science book in a drawer, which is a pretty heavy book, and the drawer doesn't show any wear from it so far.

You can take the drawers all the way out if you want or need to, though it might be hard for a child. My kids just grab their stuff & go. There is a "stop" that the drawer catches on, but I find it pretty easy to pull the drawer out partway, press on the sides of the drawer & pull it out the rest of the way. I rarely find I need/want to though. In the beginning I wished the drawers were easily removeable, but I haven't found it to be an issue now.

They do come on wheels, although I admit I am tempted to take the wheels back off. I find they fall out from time to time, and we really don't wheel ours anyway.

I can fit a thin 3-ring binder in--ours have a flat spine of 3/4" and total dimmension is 1" (but I think the binders that are labeled 1" are bigger, if that makes sense.). They don't lay totally flat but fit comfortably and easily in there. A larger binder would be too wide to fit. I can foresee wishing a larger binder might fit for our timeline activities next year, if I go with one of the types I'm thinking of. However, I might keep the full size binder on our shelves, and use the thinner one as a "working" binder.

HTH! Merry :-)

I use BP for the basic schedule and outline for the 4 year cycle, but am using MOH as my main 'spine'. My 1st grader is with us and I do not think it is too much for him. All the other reading may be, but I know I don't care too much what he picks up now - he will get it again - probably TWICE!! :001_smile: They are not very long readings and are interesting, so I think it is good for him too. We do some SOTW audio. They all love MOH and I am going to use it more heavily next year and not add so much other stuff!

You do want to streamline as much as possible and teach them together as much as possible. I aim for independence also with several subjects. And, you can't fit it all in every day - at least, that's what I spent half the night last night telling myself as I studied my new BP schedule and MOH 2 that just arrived!!! LOL!!!!:tongue_smilie:

To answer your question (haven't read the entire thread) the only way I get it done:

1. I'm the first one awake.

2. I'm the last one to bed.

3. I'm the Queen of Checklists.

4. I use materials that are designed for multi-aged families, or ones that streamline major topics into one place.

That about sums it up :)

:iagree:;)

And right now, we are not getting it all done. But we swing from relaxed to fairly rigorous; it depends on the time of year and what is going on in our life. But there are times when you just need to buckle down and get to work...

i have 4 hs, one toddler and baby on the way. workboxes have made this year the most productive yet. i can focus on what needs to get done the night before and alternate mom-heavy subjects with independent subjects, i can add the fun stuff that gets dropped when i feel crazy. the k and 3rd each have 4 actual boxes ( i use clear target ITSO bins and LOVE them) and that is enough with our combined history/science/art etc that we do together.

my 5th and 7th both have file boxes with files and they love them. i stick all the books or materials they need in there and they just go. i'm available for help but they are able to work through most of it on their own.

as for the toddler, he joins the k'er on some of the activities (pattern blocks) and he has a dollar store mickey mouse color book that he thinks is his explode the code. i assign the older kids to help him read a story or take him for a short walk, both to give them a break and to give him some extra love and attention.

history we do once a week as a family (reading and maps). they are all on the same time period, we just vary the books/activities and the older kids outline. science we do once or twice a week and one of the best things i've done was to meet with friends every other week to do experiments and projects. this allows my older kids more of a challenge, working with kids their age, and the younger kids just enjoy the fun. plus its fun for me. anything that isn't finished by quiet time we usually ignore until the next day, unless it is math or something fun like rosetta stone. we do art projects, go places, ballet & soccer and the like in the afternoon or we just sit around, make cookies and play in the yard. whatever they don't get now they can figure out when they're in college. seriously! the main focus for me is the discipline to keep going when it is hard (like math can really drag on) and the joy and fun of learning new things. if you have those 2 skills, you can learn anything you need to when you are older.

Well, I just figured out a new schedule for us and it's working beautifully. Before, I was working with my oldest DD on and off throughout the day, since she has the most work to do. The boys would interrupt us every few minutes, and I'd try to work them in during 10-minute spurts whenever DD was working independently. With this system, nobody could get into any king of groove and we just weren't very productive. DS (6) was often telling Daddy that he didn't get all his school done b/c I was too busy with DD. :glare:

So I've given lot of thought to what DC need. First of all, I implemented a psudo-workbox system using these drawers. Having all their books in one place really cuts down on the time spent hunting for stuff. It also makes them a little more accountable for getting their own work done. Their drawers tell them what to do next, rather than having them sitting around waiting for me.

DS(6) is the stereotypical middle child. He *never* gets anything he wants (even if there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary). I realized that I just need to work with him first and get his little Mommy-time bucket filled up right away. I fill his first boxes with everything that I need to do with him one-on-one (Bible memory verse, HWOT, SL reader, FLL, math). It generally only takes about a half-hour to get through all these things. We are also combing him with his younger brother for Sonlight read-alouds, so his next few drawers have their story books. When it's time to read to them, I call DS (4) in to listen in. If DS (6) has any work to do independently, it will be in his last drawers to work on while I start working with DS (4).

DS(4) just has a canvas basket with all of his books. He doesn't have very much work, and it is all done with me (100 EZ Lessons, Singapore EB math, DEL workbook, HWOT). He plays while I work with his brother, then comes in to listen to read-alouds, then works with me. I try to put a game in the bottom of his basket, so he can take it to play with his brother while I take a break and nurse the baby.

DD(8) has a lot of work that I realized can be done independently. Her handwriting book tells me that I *should* be watching her form her letters and offering ideas for her to improve. But I just can't do that. And I try not to feel guilty about it--I have 3 other kids to take care of. I put everything that she can possibly do independently in her top drawers. This includes handwriting, piano practice, Geography Songs, MCT practice sentences, copywork, SL readers, Lively Latin, and SL Science (she doesn't do all of those everyday). I would prefer to do Latin and Science with her. Some days I have to do them with her. So I put those subjects at the end of her independent work, where I can help her if I get done with the boys early. Usually, she does MCT (Sentence Island), WWE, and math with me next, and then it's time for lunch. I let the kids play for an hour, then call dd back in to do history and read-alouds together. Sometimes, if things are really hectic, I let her read her own history book and narrate back to me what she read. Sometimes DH gets to do read-alouds in the evening. I'd love to add in Spelling Power with her, but she's already doing too much. Maybe at some point I'll figure out what I can have her drop in order to fit in spelling. ;)

Sorry for the long rambling post, but maybe you can glean something out of it that will help in your own situation. :001_smile:

ETA: I really made it sound like we are doing a lot, but we don't do all of these things every day. LA seems to suck away all my time, so they alternate days on things like handwriting and grammar. And if we don't get to Latin, really, who cares? I never took Latin and I seem to have turned out just fine. ;) If I miss a day on a more essential subject, like math, then I make sure in goes in the first box the next day so that it will be done.

Edited by bonniebeth4