Menu

Since we seem to be in a religion discussing mood: Pagans?

Would some Pagans on the board please share your beliefs with me? I've been curious ever since the infamous (in my mind) Christian mythology thread. Plus, now one of my kids' friends describes himself as pagan and I'm not really sure what that means. Also, what "denominations" for lack of a better word, do you have, if any? (e.g. are wiccans Pagans?, etc.)

I am woefully ignorant on this topic and am concerned that because of that I may inadvertently come off as disrespectful or even offensive. If any of y'all can educate me on your beliefs, I'd appreciate it.

:lol: Someone had to ask!

Have you looked through the archives? There are many threads with all sorts of answers. I'd recommend this book also, check your library: http://www.amazon.com/Paganism-Introduction-Earth-Centered-Religions/dp/0738702226/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268440003&sr=8-1

Don't worry too much about being disrespectful. Don't accuse us of being Satanists or anti-Christian/anyone else, but other than that, we don't expect anyone to understand our beliefs because we tend to go a bit DIY with religion. I'm not sure anyone on here would consider themselves the same kind of pagan as anyone else on here, and we can't shed any light on your neighbour's son's beliefs. I knew a pagan couple, and when I asked about their beliefs, they couldn't tell me anything other than they believe in a god and goddess. Your neighbour's son might not mean anything more than that when he calls himself a pagan, and you won't know until a) you ask and b) he feels like answering properly.

Wiccans are pagan, yes. There are also those who follow ancient religions (Norse, Greek, etc,) those who follow tribal religions, a bunch of nature/earth centred eclecticy types. Some practice as a family, some as part of a community, others are solitary. Some believe in deities, some don't. The major belief that I assume most pagans share, is that everyone has their own path to follow and there isn't any one right way.

I know I haven't explained my beliefs, but I think it's a bit early in the conversation for that. I think, for educational purposes, you need to start with the different categories and ideas that are encompassed by the term "Pagan." If we jump in with personal details, you'll come out feeling like you've learned a lot, but that the info hasn't left you with much more of an idea on what Paganism actually is/can be.

:)

Rosie

In the simplest terms I can think of. I believe everything has a soul, I believe in what you do comes back to you ( karma ). I believe in mother earth and father sky ( also sometimes known by other names, such as god and goddess ). I love nature and all living things. I try to tread lightly on this earth, think green. I treat others as I would like to be treated. I help all I can along my way. I do my best not to harm anyone or anything in any way. I believe in reincarnation.

You will probably find many who are similiar. But you will not find anyone who practices exactly as I do. As we each have our own path to follow.

I live by the words....

An it harm none, do what ye will.

:lol: Someone had to ask!

Have you looked through the archives? There are many threads with all sorts of answers. I'd recommend this book also, check your library: http://www.amazon.com/Paganism-Introduction-Earth-Centered-Religions/dp/0738702226/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268440003&sr=8-1

Don't worry too much about being disrespectful. Don't accuse us of being Satanists or anti-Christian/anyone else, but other than that, we don't expect anyone to understand our beliefs because we tend to go a bit DIY with religion.

Rosie

Rosie,

Are you getting sick of repeating yourself? Honestly, I had searched, I just didn't go far enough. Tsk tsking myself. Had to crack up when I did find a great thread and there you were recommending a search thru the archives. :) Can't wait to find the epic thread you were referencing then. Thank you for your patience. Am enjoying the search and the reading immensely and will check out the book.

In the simplest terms I can think of. I believe everything has a soul, I believe in what you do comes back to you ( karma ). I believe in mother earth and father sky ( also sometimes known by other names, such as god and goddess ). I love nature and all living things. I try to tread lightly on this earth, think green. I treat others as I would like to be treated. I help all I can along my way. I do my best not to harm anyone or anything in any way. I believe in reincarnation.

You will probably find many who are similiar. But you will not find anyone who practices exactly as I do. As we each have our own path to follow.

I live by the words....

An it harm none, do what ye will.

Wow. I've tried to explain my beliefs as a Pagan many times here on this board, but never so beautifully and succinctly. Thank you!

There are as many versions of Paganism as there are Pagans! I think if you want to understand what your friend means by it, you'd best ask him. Just invite him to share his ideas with you and let him know that you're curious about what his faith means to him. :)

To answer your specific call for an explanation of beliefs...

I am a Pagan with a pantheistic world view. What that means for me is that I believe that all things are in God, and God is in all things. I believe that I am constantly guided by my Higher Self, or Source Energy (the part of me that is God), and in a lot of ways, I think that looks similar to how a Christian would view a personal connection with God. I.e. I ask for guidance, lean on that higher power as much as possible, pray, etc.

In my world view, there is no true separation between you and me and the trees and the rocks and the squirrels in my back yard. We are all extensions of God (Source Energy), connected as parts of the whole. I believe that all I do impacts everything around me, and so I try to always be conscious and self-aware.

I hold the Gods and Goddesses of all religions in high esteem, and think of their energy as very real. Different personifications of God are more relevant to me at different points of time, though I have a more lasting relationship with some. By the same token, I am called to the energy of different physical elements in nature at various points in my life, though again, there are some that are more present in my experience.

Perhaps most importantly, I believe that I am the creator of my own experience. I feel that everything around me carries a lesson to help with my personal growth, and that the Universe is always conspiring to do me good. I believe we all deserve love and infinite happiness, simply because of the fact that we exist.

Wow. I've tried to explain my beliefs as a Pagan many times here on this board, but never so beautifully and succinctly. Thank you!

Wow thanks !! I have only been officially pagan for about 2 years. I think I have always been, I just had no idea where the path was, if that makes any sense.

Rosie,

Are you getting sick of repeating yourself? Honestly, I had searched, I just didn't go far enough. Tsk tsking myself. Had to crack up when I did find a great thread and there you were recommending a search thru the archives. :) Can't wait to find the epic thread you were referencing then. Thank you for your patience. Am enjoying the search and the reading immensely and will check out the book.

I think there were a few epic threads, and you really can't get better than epic, can you? :lol: It's not so much about not wanting to repeat myself, more that I deal better with specific questions than vague ones and if you work through them first, you'll have specific questions I can handle...

I'll see if I can find them. The search function here is a bit iffy, but I think I have them saved somewhere...

There was this one: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111896

This one too, since there's a bit of cross over: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130220

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127053 (No fan club, really.)

Urgh. I was the last post in two of those threads. Bit of a thread killer, I am :001_huh:

Hope they help somewhat. :)

Rosie

I'm a Pagan with Buddhist leanings. I believe in a God and a Goddess, but more in the sense that the earth itself has masculine and feminine energy, not so much in a personal god. I believe in reincarnation, respecting the earth as the source of all life, and I also agree with Buddhist ideas about suffering and enlightenment, and how to live a good life.

As far as all religions go, I don't think it matters which faith you practice. I think that humans are our best when we have faith in something. It doesn't matter what that is, you just need something, whether it's god, science, or something else entirely. To quote the great, fuzzy Shepherd Book, "I don't care what you believe- just believe in it."

Wow thanks !! I have only been officially pagan for about 2 years. I think I have always been, I just had no idea where the path was, if that makes any sense.

We're such a heterogeneous lot, so I think I tend to try and over explain... I just thought you did a really nice job of summing up the general idea! (And yeah it makes sense; I was Pagan long before I knew it actually had a name!)

There are as many versions of Paganism as there are Pagans! I think if you want to understand what your friend means by it, you'd best ask him. Just invite him to share his ideas with you and let him know that you're curious about what his faith means to him. :)

To answer your specific call for an explanation of beliefs...

I am a Pagan with a pantheistic world view. What that means for me is that I believe that all things are in God, and God is in all things. I believe that I am constantly guided by my Higher Self, or Source Energy (the part of me that is God), and in a lot of ways, I think that looks similar to how a Christian would view a personal connection with God. I.e. I ask for guidance, lean on that higher power as much as possible, pray, etc.

In my world view, there is no true separation between you and me and the trees and the rocks and the squirrels in my back yard. We are all extensions of God (Source Energy), connected as parts of the whole. I believe that all I do impacts everything around me, and so I try to always be conscious and self-aware.

I hold the Gods and Goddesses of all religions in high esteem, and think of their energy as very real. Different personifications of God are more relevant to me at different points of time, though I have a more lasting relationship with some. By the same token, I am called to the energy of different physical elements in nature at various points in my life, though again, there are some that are more present in my experience.

Perhaps most importantly, I believe that I am the creator of my own experience. I feel that everything around me carries a lesson to help with my personal growth, and that the Universe is always conspiring to do me good. I believe we all deserve love and infinite happiness, simply because of the fact that we exist.

Wow.

This is pretty much EXACTLY as I believe, but I've never identified myself as Pagan. I never really knew what to call myself, actually! Used to be Catholic but I'm not that anymore. I knew that I couldn't call myself Christian anymore, although I do believe in Jesus as divine, just not the only way.

Thanks for helping me put a title to my own belief system!

As far as all religions go, I don't think it matters which faith you practice. I think that humans are our best when we have faith in something.

I have none, but hope, goals, and a love of beauty stands in its stead very, very well. (And one is weak, the others make up for it.)

Wow.

This is pretty much EXACTLY as I believe, but I've never identified myself as Pagan. I never really knew what to call myself, actually! Used to be Catholic but I'm not that anymore. I knew that I couldn't call myself Christian anymore, although I do believe in Jesus as divine, just not the only way.

Thanks for helping me put a title to my own belief system!

Happy to oblige! :D You know, you might also want to check out Unity. I was suprised recently to learn that I actually fit their definition of Christian. (I still self-identify as Pagan, but the description on that link fits my beliefs pretty clearly.)

Can I ask:

How did you develop your beliefs? Is it something you've read, experienced, felt and then tried to find a system that fits? If so, don;t you think that it would be relativism, i.e. I pick and choose what fits me, with no regards to an objective truth?

Do you think that there is an objective, one, beautiful truth that all humans are searching for? Do you think that others in the past have found it and it would be great to follow in their footsteps or do you start with a "blank" mind and follow your own reasoning? How are you sure that your own reason will lead you to this one truth, the Cause of it all?

thanks

I'm a Pagan with Buddhist leanings. I believe in a God and a Goddess, but more in the sense that the earth itself has masculine and feminine energy, not so much in a personal god. I believe in reincarnation, respecting the earth as the source of all life, and I also agree with Buddhist ideas about suffering and enlightenment, and how to live a good life.

As far as all religions go, I don't think it matters which faith you practice. I think that humans are our best when we have faith in something. It doesn't matter what that is, you just need something, whether it's god, science, or something else entirely. To quote the great, fuzzy Shepherd Book, "I don't care what you believe- just believe in it."

Wow! I consider myself an agnostic with Buddhist leanings, and what you said pretty much sums up the gist of my beliefs. I'm happy to know there is someone out there like me :001_smile:

Can I ask:

How did you develop your beliefs? Is it something you've read, experienced, felt and then tried to find a system that fits? If so, don;t you think that it would be relativism, i.e. I pick and choose what fits me, with no regards to an objective truth?

Do you think that there is an objective, one, beautiful truth that all humans are searching for? Do you think that others in the past have found it and it would be great to follow in their footsteps or do you start with a "blank" mind and follow your own reasoning? How are you sure that your own reason will lead you to this one truth, the Cause of it all?

thanks

I dont' think there is one truth. I don't believe that anything will lead me to one truth.

I can only find my own truth, my own path.

I think if we treat people, animals, and all earthly things well. Try to tread lightly, help others along the way. And do unto others as we would wish them to do unto us. It is all we can do.

Can I ask:

thanks

Not sure if you were directing this at a specific person, or all of us Pagans in general, but I thought I'd answer anyway. :)

When it comes to faith, after years of soul-searching, I've decided that objective truth is highly overrated. I believe what I believe, and I am a better person for it. Others believe what they believe, and their faith makes them stonger, as well. If either of us do turn out to be wrong, what does it matter, really? No one will ever be able to prove the existence of God. And if you look at many different religious beliefs, the central theme is faith. Believe, and it will set you free. Believe, and you will be saved.

I don't think God cares about the specifics of our faith, or even whether that faith involves a deity or not, so long as we believe in something greater than ourselves. Even many atheists have faith, though they tend to believe in the inherent goodness of humanity, and that we don't need a god to direct our moral compasses.

As for how I developed my faith, I've always believed this way. I just didn't find out there was a name for it until I was a teenager.

Can I ask:

thanks

I do not believe there is any one truth when looked at from our physical perspective. I do believe in what my heart tells me is true *for me, and I respect others' right to choose what is true for them. I think we all have the ability to know truth by how it feels when we look upon it. (Truth makes your heart sing and your spirit soar.) And I think that at the core, most people see the same truth wrapped in different packaging. So I guess that amounts to there is no one truth, and everything is truth. :D

As for how I formed my beliefs... my heart spoke to me. I have known this truth since I was a child, and before I could properly label it. As an adult I've encountered more and more people who express beliefs that mirror mine, and I have been tickled to find other people talking about things that I thought I dreamt up on my own!

I do believe that we have access to all information that ever existed by tapping into a Universal database of sorts. So really it's less about learning something new, and more about remembering something we have forgotten. That, to me, explains how I can discover my truth without being taught a particular belief system. (And why so many people I know have come to the same conclusions as me under similar circumstances.)

I *really* liked your post, especially the underlined parts.

I considered myself pagan for 3 years during my teens, and the underlined parts are still at the heart and soul of my personal beliefs. I have great respect and love for so many belief systems. (I have a friend, that when she is with me, will jump in when I'm asked my religion and answer "she's a bit of everything").I answer "Mormon (LDS)" when asked my religion. It was the faith I was raised in. I love the doctrine and am happy with the path I am on - 99.9% of the time, and then something (usually an over zealous member of my own religion telling me I'm going to hell for being so "live and let live" or something along those lines) ticks me off and I long for the days when I was Pagan. But I am convinced that this is the path that my celestial Father and Mother want me walking, so I walk it, and find joy - which is what I think this life is all about, regardless of what religion we identify with.

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

I start with what makes sense to me, and if nothing makes more sense than anything else, I pick what I like best. If my beliefs don't work well for me, they are no use. I think religion is supposed to inspire us to be better versions of ourselves. If religion makes us feel we need to panel beat ourselves into a different shape, it's the wrong religion (for now, at least.) My ideas have come from classes I've taken, books I've read, the usual sorts of places ideas enter your mind from :)

Do you think that there is an objective, one, beautiful truth that all humans are searching for?
Yes and no. I'm a Western Taoist, so I think everyone should be trying to work towards harmony with the Tao, but I don't think the Tao is an objective, one, beautiful truth. You probably don't think the ground is an objective, one, beautiful truth. It is just a thing that is there. I feel much the same about the Tao. I also think we use different vocab to talk about very similar concepts. If I'm talking to me, I might think that I am out of harmony with the Tao. If I am talking to a Christian, I would translate that to them "feeling a bit disconnected from God."

Do you think that others in the past have found it and it would be great to follow in their footsteps or do you start with a "blank" mind and follow your own reasoning?
When we research homeschooling, we start with the WTM, then figure out what bits we don't like and what to do instead. :) Starting off with ideas from people who are doing better at something that I want to be doing better at is a great beginning, but they were them, and I am me, so I still have to tweak and supplement to suit myself.

How are you sure that your own reason will lead you to this one truth, the Cause of it all?
I think it is better for me to use my reason than someone else's. The thing with a DIY religion, is I can tweak it whenever I want to. If something no longer works for me, I can discard it. It doesn't mean I was "wrong" before, it just means it's not right for me now. If I come across a new idea that I think will fill a gap in my world view in a positive way, then I can pick it up. Life is a journey, so it makes perfect sense that our spiritual needs will change along the way. This is not a Pagan thing. There are many conversations on this board about Christian ladies wanting to learn more about their religion, experience God on different levels etc. There are also conversations about them needing to step back from church duties, swap churches etc.

If I am in harmony with the Tao, reacting appropriately to the lessons life is offering/ imposing and playing the roles I'm supposed to be playing in other people's lives, (and they are doing the same by me) then life will go along hunky dorily. If I am not, it doesn't. That's how I know. Life (or God, for the deists) has a way of making you aware that you are not doing what you ought to be doing :glare:

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

And, don't forget there are non-deistic pagans, too. :D

I don't believe in any gods, but honour the Earth and Cosmos in my witchcraft. I don't believe there is a single absolute truth. I have a well-developed code of ethics by which I live, the basic gist of which is to generate kindness as much as possible. Some days I'm better at that than others. I believe in karma, but not the three-fold law. I believe in harming none, but also in protecting myself and loved ones (I am a pacifist, though, so my definition of "protection" may not be the same as another's). My practice is very Nature centred, and I have adopted the Celtic holidays. They just make sense to me, giving that we do live on a farm and derive our livelihood from Nature that way.

There's more, but I won't bore you. ;)

And, don't forget there are non-deistic pagans, too. :D

I don't believe in any gods, but honour the Earth and Cosmos in my witchcraft. I don't believe there is a single absolute truth. I have a well-developed code of ethics by which I live, the basic gist of which is to generate kindness as much as possible. Some days I'm better at that than others. I believe in karma, but not the three-fold law. I believe in harming none, but also in protecting myself and loved ones (I am a pacifist, though, so my definition of "protection" may not be the same as another's). My practice is very Nature centred, and I have adopted the Celtic holidays. They just make sense to me, giving that we do live on a farm and derive our livelihood from Nature that way.

There's more, but I won't bore you. ;)

I've had the three fold law bite me in the butt more times than I can count. You'd think i'd learn...

a

Hey! I think I might be pagan. How about that.

I believe in the earth, and it's power, and I feel a spiritual connection to it, always have since a little girl.

I think we need to treat it and all who make their home on it with care and consideration. I feel a resonance with a lot of the Buddist teachings. I have no idea what I think of the afterlife and I don't think there is any such thing as one truth, well not one truth for everyone, I'm sure everyone has their own truth that works for them.

I've had the three fold law bite me in the butt more times than I can count. You'd think i'd learn...

a

Not to debate, but to clarify... my contention is that karma is what it is. It doesn't treble itself. Yes, your negativity comes back to haunt you, but the idea that it will triple before returning is, IMO, unfounded and, at least in everything I've ever read, inexplicable in any regard as to how that would occur. Just because it "feels" like it's worse when it comes back than when you sent out, doesn't mean it is. More likely, it was that nasty when you let it go, KWIM?

Edited by Audrey

What is the three-fold what? Thank you for posting your beliefs.

At the end of one of the articles of faith of the church I am a member of it is stated: ...and allow all men (women and children too of course) the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may. Actually let me write the first part too: We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege....:)

Some people call us Mormons, but I call myself a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, because other groups have broken off from the church (in some cases back in the 1800's) and practice things that they feel are correct for their beliefs, things they have interpreted, that the LDS church does not practice/condone/believe. Sometimes when "Mormon" is said everyone thinks of people who live in a commune and all the females have to wear long dresses and nobody knows who their parents are;so, I am not one of that group. A friend who is not a member of the church told me that about the Mormons she knows of in her state.

But getting back to Pagans, or witches, please don't think I'm jumping in on your thread to try to "save you". The Pagans I had known of rode motorcycles and wore leather. They didn't seem too concerned about the earth, but I might be wrong.

I love the earth too. If everyone spent more time examining what we have in common and not what is different we could be better friends and neighbors.:thumbup1:

Not to debate, but to clarify... my contention is that karma is what it is. It doesn't treble itself. Yes, your negativity comes back to haunt you, but the idea that it will triple before returning is, IMO, unfounded and, at least in everything I've ever read, inexplicable in any regard as to how that would occur. Just because it "feels" like it's worse when it comes back than when you sent out, doesn't mean it is. More likely, it was that nasty when you let it go, KWIM?

I never thought of it that way. Now that I see it written out, I'd have to agree with your assessment.

I'd only ever seen it written as the three fold "law", and had noticed a correlation in my own life, so I have tried my best to steer clear (even kid reminds me when I'm on a tear).

I'd love to see a "here's my favs" booklist if you ever have a free moment. A PM would be fine. There's just so much crap out there.

a

To Audrey, or anyone else who wants to answer, I was wondering what is the difference between a wiccan and a witch? I had the impression that Wicca was a particular style/denomination of Witchcraft? Is it actually something quite separate?

I'm a witch, but not Wiccan. You are right about the distinction. Wicca is more like an organized religion, with a very ritualized spirituality, whereas witch is a looser term that can be used to describe wiccans, pagans, or the like. Others may be able to better illustrate the difference; I haven't been properly caffeinated this morning (yet-- I'm workin' on that now). ;)

Hey! I think I might be pagan. How about that.

I believe in the earth, and it's power, and I feel a spiritual connection to it, always have since a little girl.

I think we need to treat it and all who make their home on it with care and consideration. I feel a resonance with a lot of the Buddhist teachings. I have no idea what I think of the afterlife and I don't think there is any such thing as one truth, well not one truth for everyone, I'm sure everyone has their own truth that works for them.

I feel this way as well, but I don't like to put a label on it.

Guest Cindie2dds

Just because it "feels" like it's worse when it comes back than when you sent out, doesn't mean it is. More likely, it was that nasty when you let it go, KWIM?

Very profound, Audrey! All my faults are mirrored by my kids, it's very humbling to have a 3 year old act out something you aren't proud of. It doesn't seem as bad sending it out as it does when it's in your face.

:thumbup1:You really have me thinking about this phrase Audrey. I think you are very wise and really enjoy your posts. I would love to hear more about your beliefs, even if in a PM. Also, my family is nearly all Irish/Scottish, I really like learning about the celtic traditions. I would love to know more about the holidays you observe. I wish you had a blog :D.

I'll jump in here too for the fun of it. I'll use some cross-over terminology from other religions to try to help clarify a tad.

Wicca is a particular Pagan belief system with particular tenants and particular traditions that has even more subcategories under it. Think of it as a denomination, or as close to a denomination as you might get out of the spiritual soup that is Paganism, that then has further distinctions under the umbrella of Wicca. IMHO, Wicca is a fairly formal spiritual system compared to other Pagan paths.

The Craft is not exclusive to any one denomination/flavor of Paganism. There are Wiccas who practice the Craft and Pagans who practice the Craft and Pagans who don't. Heck, I've even met a woman who identified as Catholic who practiced the Craft. The best, simplest analogy I can make about the Craft is that one can sort of think of it as a form of meditation/prayer. The Craft is a method of putting one's beliefs into action. At least that's how I view it. Again, as others have said- Pagans have their own individual takes on these sorts of things so someone else might describe the Craft completely differently.

The explanation of Pagan spirituality that has always resonated deeply with me and is what I usually use to attempt to succinctly explain my core belief is the diamond analogy. Think of the Divine as a brilliantly cut diamond with countless facets. The entire stone is the Divine. But many faiths focus specifically on only one beautiful facet of the stone, one aspect of the Divine, while a Pagan makes an attempt through their life and practice to appreciate that they are a part of the stone and to connect with every other facet of the entire stone- the facets that manifest as Gods and Goddess, the facet that is oneself, the facets that are the physical world around us and the beings we share the earth with, etc. To be aware of one's own divinity and the divinity in all that surrounds us.

Happy to oblige! :D You know, you might also want to check out Unity. I was suprised recently to learn that I actually fit their definition of Christian. (I still self-identify as Pagan, but the description on that link fits my beliefs pretty clearly.)

A friend of mine introduced me to the Unity church a few years ago and I really do enjoy it there and feel a connection.

The problem for me is that I've been so turned off by organized religion of any sort that I just can't make myself go very often. Maybe I should try again...

I might join in here. With all the other religious discussions going on I got curious and took one of those 'what faith fits you best' quizzes, and I ended up with 100% Neo-Pagan and 98% Liberal Quaker. I can't say I was surprised, but it's still quite a shock for a Catholic church going girl to see.

I believe in a 'something' but I'm very hesitant to call it God because of the understanding that word carries (Biblical/Christian God). But since I can't find a better word, I believe God is in everything, in all of creation, and all of creation is in God. Perhaps that little speck of dust that started it all, before the big bang, was God. I love humanity with all its faults and love nature. I don't understand the word worship - I know the definition - I personally am unable to muster that type of feeling. What I do know is love, human love, and I feel love very, very strong. So if that isn't good enough for the God I love, then I guess I'm sunk. I believe all people are headed to the same place, but I have no idea where that is. I've never been there, yet. I don't worry about it too much. I worry much more about my own behavior than that which I have no way of being sure about. I love Jesus and many of the saints that I grew up with. I just in no way can convince myself Jesus is God according to Christian understanding, and I could never understand a God that required a bloody, tortuous death on a cross. Just doesn't compute with me.

That's as far as I've gotten with my beliefs, and that's taken my almost ten years. I read the book that Rosie recommended. The one thing in that book that jumped out at me was it said 'I' needed to be responsible for my own beliefs. I had always just accepted the beliefs of other humans. It was then that I realized that was what I was attempting to do, finally. It's not always easy, but I have a feeling of peace which I'd been missing for a long time.

I'll jump in here too for the fun of it. I'll use some cross-over terminology from other religions to try to help clarify a tad.

Wicca is a particular Pagan belief system with particular tenants and particular traditions that has even more subcategories under it. Think of it as a denomination, or as close to a denomination as you might get out of the spiritual soup that is Paganism, that then has further distinctions under the umbrella of Wicca. IMHO, Wicca is a fairly formal spiritual system compared to other Pagan paths.

The Craft is not exclusive to any one denomination/flavor of Paganism. There are Wiccas who practice the Craft and Pagans who practice the Craft and Pagans who don't. Heck, I've even met a woman who identified as Catholic who practiced the Craft. The best, simplest analogy I can make about the Craft is that one can sort of think of it as a form of meditation/prayer. The Craft is a method of putting one's beliefs into action. At least that's how I view it. Again, as others have said- Pagans have their own individual takes on these sorts of things so someone else might describe the Craft completely differently.

The explanation of Pagan spirituality that has always resonated deeply with me and is what I usually use to attempt to succinctly explain my core belief is the diamond analogy. Think of the Divine as a brilliantly cut diamond with countless facets. The entire stone is the Divine. But many faiths focus specifically on only one beautiful facet of the stone, one aspect of the Divine, while a Pagan makes an attempt through their life and practice to appreciate that they are a part of the stone and to connect with every other facet of the entire stone- the facets that manifest as Gods and Goddess, the facet that is oneself, the facets that are the physical world around us and the beings we share the earth with, etc. To be aware of one's own divinity and the divinity in all that surrounds us.

This description of witchcraft is very good. I would add that there are many kinds of witchcraft -- denominations, if you will. Many invoke gods/goddesses. Some do not. The practice of worshipping divinity varies from witch to witch, just as for any other spiritual practitioner.

Here is a link that briefly describes a few (but not all) forms of witchcraft

http://www.pathcom.com/~newmoon/diff.htm

Here is a link that has a few more very basic descriptions http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1684601/the_different_types_of_witches.html?cat=34

There are also the Nature witches -- hedgewitches, green witches, kitchen witches, most Druidic witches, etc. And, there are the many diverse Folk witches -- Pennsylvania Dutch hex magic, Appalacian folk traditions, etc.

This is such a fabulous post! I love your diamond analogy. Perfect! I also think your definition of witchcraft fits beautifully with my personal practice, which never seems to fit into any of the definitions that describe a particular branch of the Craft.

I also love what Rosie had to say about it being DIY spirituality. Certainly true for me!

I believe in a 'something' but I'm very hesitant to call it God because of the understanding that word carries (Biblical/Christian God). But since I can't find a better word, I believe God is in everything, in all of creation, and all of creation is in God. Perhaps that little speck of dust that started it all, before the big bang, was God.

I'm sure this may offend several billion people, but kid and I have found the term "Omniscient It" to work well.

a

I'm sure this may offend several billion people, but kid and I have found the term "Omniscient It" to work well.

a

Well, around here we call it GUS (God/Universe/Source) or, if you prefer the feminine, SUG. :D I like the familiarity of it. And yeah, I'm sure it would horrify many people to hear the way we chat with GUS!

Also, I love the conversation about karma/three fold law. I'm with Audrey in not buying the triple effect, and I don't believe in karma in the 'next life' sense, but I most certainly do believe that everything we put out comes back to us. That's why the first question I ask myself when anything 'nasty' hits my experience is "what am I putting out there that is placing me in vibrational range of this experience?" And by looking at everything as a mirror for my inner dialog, even the most horrible feeling situations can be seen to hold a gift. (I believe everything in life contains a gift, even if we can't see it.)

I feel this way as well, but I don't like to put a label on it.

The labels get too long.

So sayeth the Western Taoist, non-deitied, season based, kitchen witchy wannabe (but not the spell using kind,) Pagan.

:D

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

The labels get too long.

So sayeth the Western Taoist, non-deitied, season based, kitchen witchy wannabe (but not the spell using kind,) Pagan.

:D

Rosie

I completely understand that sentiment! :D That's why I just say witch. Once you get to know me, I'm happy to explain further, but just plain ol' "witch" is good enough, too.