Menu

Any WTM purists out there?

I've been reading posts for quite some time now and see lots of people who actually use very little of what's recommended in her book. Does anyone consider themselves a faithful follower of SWB's schedule and/or curriculum suggestions?

I consider myself something of a curriculum junkie, but find myself returning time and time again to her recommendations. I think the schedule is hard to maintain as I am teaching 4 kids close in age, but with diverse abilities (my oldest is the most reluctant and my youngest is very advanced).

Anyone else out there love her curriculum choices, but struggle to have the kids do it all? I see such value in all of the subjects, but have a hard time keeping all the balls in the air with my slower learners.

Any thoughts?

a classical education program that is probably very close.

I don't start Latin quite as young but that's because we are science nuts (DH is a county wide 4-H science coordinator) and so we begin formal science at a younger age than most - Kindergarten.

DD graduated with a very classical high school education and is now in Paramedic school which will be followed by finishing a B.S.N. degree and then master's - C.N.M.

DS13 - Basic College Mathematics, Abeka Grammar and Composition 7th grade, writing program is more self-designed by me but follows many of WTM's recommendations, Classical Reading List with outlining, summaries, character sketches, etc. Apologia General Science, SOTW with Kingfisher History of the World and literature assignments from the time period being studied, Latina Christiana 1, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Mindbenders, standardized test-prep (variety of sources plus A.C.T. question of the day), and WII Fit Plus (30 minutes per day) for homeschool P.E. He also has science and art projects for 4-H and takes piano lessons but will be switching to trumpet this summer.

DS11 - Rod and Staff Math 6th grade, Rod and Staff English grade 6, Daily Geography practice, Apologia elementary science - Swimming Creatures, plus Real Science for Kids Level 1 Biology, Classical Literature assignments designed by moi (Just completed "The Hobbit" and wrote two pages about the "Christian" themes of the book - he hates to write so this was a weeping and gnashing of teeth assignment), SOTW - notebooking/outlining, SRA spelling 6th grade, Prima Latina, violin, English riding lessons, and 4-H science.

DS9 - Rod and Staff Math 4th grade, Rod & Staff English 4th grade, Daily Geography Practice, Apologia elementary science Flying Creatures, reading assignments made by me - this one loves writing so he probably does more than the others did in 4th grade, Imitations in Writing book A, SOTW with narration exercises plus the activity book, A Reason For Handwriting, SRA spelling 4th grade, English Riding Lessons, soon to begin piano lessons, and 4-H science, art, electronics, and poultry projects.

I also sometimes need chocolate chips or M & M's to help me through the day. However, since I am on a desperate weight loss program plus diet to get my potassium and iron levels up, I am forgoing these things and currently feeling a little sorry for myself.

I don't follow all of the curriculum recommendations but I don't think that makes me less WTM. If anything more so, because the whole point of homeschooling is to customize the education and get back to the "tutoring" approach to education.

Resisting the last piece of DS 13's gourmet homemade portabella mushroom pizza!

Faith

I think you'll find very few people who faithfully follow a large percentage of her curriculum recommendations, solely because there are so many great things available, and homeschooling *does* give us the ability to customize to our children's strengths & weaknesses.

I think there are a large number of people who are faithful to the "spirit" of WTM, however.

I don't consider myself a purist, but my elementary kids' education is very close in content, not so much in time frame (though SWB doesn't even follow it exact).

My middle schooler is a different story. He had ps curricula until the 5th grade, so I consider this his transitional period. I hope to be closer to TWTM for his high school years.

I took all my cues from TWTM and for the few things I started off differently, I've ended up going back and doing what she said to do in the first place :p

I will say, our reading notebook is not nearly as full as it should be, but I believe we're pretty close...

How pure is pure? ;)

I follow very closely the goals and ideas that Susan puts forth, but not always the exact curriculum. For example, I use TOG for history in the logic (and will use for rhetoric) stage after completing SOTW in grammar stage.

It is, however, my starting place when I am searching for a certain curriculum.

To date we have been WTM-inspired to use neo-classical methods to produce students trained to *think* logically. In practice, this has involved loosely following the WTM plan.

I have a 5yo who is ready for 1st grade, she came along a bit later so there are 8 years between my next youngest and her. Because she is kind of like an only child in terms of school-age-mates, and because the olders have reached an age where they can do quite a lot on their own, I am hoping to have the time and ability to follow TWTM more closely.

I think it's very helpful to be 10 years down the road from that first edition, especially with the growth of Peace Hill Press to supply curriculum specific to WTM methods (thanks Susan, Jessie & friends!).

Does anyone consider themselves a faithful follower of SWB's schedule and/or curriculum suggestions?

Anyone else out there love her curriculum choices, but struggle to have the kids do it all?

I started out sticking closely to the recommended resources, and the schedules. I've gradually learned the principles behind it all, and try to incorporate those principles. I mostly use WTM resources, but the schedules have changed to fit our family. It seems the more I've understood principles, the more efficient we have gotten, and it's more enjoyable.

For example, we use R&S grammar, but we do as much orally as possible. Same with the recommended Latin programs. Reading through history/science/literature ("spine" reading and supplemental reading) happens during a two hour independent "reading time" each day, rather than during separate content subject time slots. We have one writing assignment per day, and it's based on any of the reading my kids have done that day, so subjects get roughly rotated through and written about each week. Writing assignments include dictation and narration for dd9, and outlining and narration for ds12.

So, yes, I stick to the principles because I really like how they train us how to think and learn.

It was the first book I read about homeschooling, 10 years ago, and I've tried everything in it so far, I think. Some things just didn't work for us, so I carefully substituted other things, but I still try to stay true to the philosophy and methods. It took me 7 years to get through the history cycle, but we finally finished SOTW last year, and are doing Tapestry of Grace this year. I love how it keeps me on track, and we are going to finish Year 1 this year! I had trouble keeping on track with SOTW. I also like how everything is all laid out for me in TOG for two different trivium levels. Ds is in Upper Grammar, and dd is in Dialectic, but it's really easy to work both levels at the same time because they've done all the planning for me. I don't have to read everything they're reading because TOG gives me an "encyclopedia" version of the material every week. I love it!

We've used WTM recommendations for almost everything else. I had to switch spelling (didn't like Spelling Workout). But we use Natural Speller, and it's actually more classically oriented in its method than SW. :) We tried narrations for a couple of years, but they just didn't work for my kids until they reached about 6th grade. So, we don't have wonderful notebooks from their early years. Oh well. It wasn't worth the agony of trying to draw narrations out of them.

I had high hopes that my children would turn into writing geniuses. My dd is a wonderful writer, but her brother has difficulties in this area. I did Classical Writing with my dd for awhile, until her other subjects just made it impossible to put in the time. I don't know if ds will ever be able to do that. We'll see. He does well with the writing lessons in Rod and Staff English.

Anyway, I don't know how much detail you were looking for, but Yes, there are still some of us WTM followers around. I don't do everything, but I'm still sold on the philosophy, and most of the methods.

I think, like everything you have to mold WTM to fit your family/children. Maybe being a "purist" means you follow WTM in theory, but not necessarily in every detail. One size does not necessarily "fit all", but probably "fits most" if you have a classical bent. We follow most of the recommendations. We've actually grown into them. I am pretty confident in the grammar years, but as we approach logic I'm less confident... so I'm guessing I'll stick pretty closely to the recommendations. It makes sense to me and has "fixed" some of the issues I was having before starting WTM methods. Also... I find when I stray from SWB's recommendations I start getting into "not so simple" land... she just makes. it. really. simple.

I'm pretty much a purist. I read a lot of books on different methods, and I just keep coming back to WTM. It's what hooked me on homeschooling and it's still my favorite method/recommendations. I like to describe SWB as my homeschooling guru. :D

:iagree:There is very little that I have in my curriculum for dd that is not in TWTM. I think AAS is the only program I use that isn't recommended in one way or another in TWTM