Menu

Another appeal for help with gluten-free cooking...

Our pastor's wife may not have gluten, and it's been difficult for some of the families at church to invite them for Sunday dinner (we rotate, taking turns hosting them on Sunday).

These ladies are mostly very plain cooks, and some of them do rely on convenience foods for daily meals. I'm making up a list of foods/ingredients which *may* contain gluten, in order to remind them to check before using these ingredients. I'm making my own list, because these women will be scared off by some of the "exotic" ingredients on other lists I've found, lol! There really is no reason to include wild einkorn, or seitan on the list I'm giving them. I'll post my list here, so that you can let me know if I've missed something that should be included in the list, or if I've included something that shouldn't be there.

What I need the most now is a positive, basic & concise explanation of what kinds of meals should be ok. If you had to sum up in one paragraph what kinds of meals/recipes/cooking these ladies should be shooting for, what would you write? :bigear:

Here's my list of ingredients that are some common things that they should either avoid completely or *check before using*:

cereals, breads, flours, bread crumbs, pasta, croutons, crackers, chips

spaghetti sauces or other canned tomato products

soy sauce/teriyaki sauce

sour cream

baking powder

ketchup, mustard

caramel coloring or flavoring

canned broths or soups

bouillon cubes or powders, broth base

sauces, gravy, seasoning packets

some spices and spice blends

some instant rice, boxed potato or rice dishes

processed lunch meats & cold cuts

ice cream, yogurt, some cheeses

frozen french fries or hash browns

shortening

salad dressings

MSG-monosodium glutamate

food starch or modified food starch

some extracts & flavorings

Thanks!

A friend of mine is the worst-case-scenario celiac. :-( She can't have most vanilla extracts; only Bragg's cider vinegar; nothing with hydrolized vegetable protein; plus all the other stuff most celiacs can't have.

She *can* have Heinz ketchup, tomato sauce, and distilled vinegar; other brands have been problematic.

Pre-grated cheese can be a problem (my friend is also severely allergic to dairy so she can't have cheese at all) because it is tossed in *cellulose,* to keep it from clumping. I haven't checked, but I'm thinking that cellulose could have gluten. *I have not proven this; I'm just using logic, lol.*

I had not heard that *shortening* had gluten.:001_huh:

Just an fyi, but if she's celiac - they also shouldn't bake anything in a formerly used nonstick baking pan. Nor should they use any nonstick skillets or saucepans (the gluten bonds to the nonstick surface). Stainless steel is okay.

We have a family friend whose daughter is celiac, and she's given me lists from time to time of the SAFE foods. Even with the SAFE list, I still double check ingredients, because companies frequently change their ingredients.

Kraft food products will usually list any gluten-containing ingredients in bold. You can also look up on their website for ingredients listings.

WalMart's Great Value Brand has a handy-dandy rectangle on most of their foods and canned goods that will say "Gluten Free" on it (if the item is GF, of course). BUT you still have to look at the ingredients, because sometimes the item will say "Naturally Gluten Free" but after the ingredients will say "This product is manufactured on machines that process wheat, barley, etc, etc, etc" - which, of course, completely negates the Gluten Free status of the item. :glare:

Also beware of things that have "natural ingredients" or "natural sweeteners." And, yes, cheese. And orange juice.

If she's not vegetarian, I would stick to meat-and-potatoes type meals with a side of steamed broccoli, carrots, green beans, etc.

Salads with grilled chicken (check salad dressing bottles...)

Lettuce Wraps.

Spaghetti (there is a soy-based spaghetti that is safe) or veggie lasagna (I'm nearly 100% sure there is also a soy-based lasagna noodle out there...)

There are boxed mixes that can be found at any natural foods store for things like brownies - pre-made cookies - cake mixes - muffin mixes - for desserts.

Just an fyi, but if she's celiac - they also shouldn't bake anything in a formerly used nonstick baking pan. Nor should they use any nonstick skillets or saucepans (the gluten bonds to the nonstick surface). Stainless steel is okay.

Also wooden spoons and chopping boards. And I didn't know about the nonstick, sigh. I'm assuming cast iron is the same? I'm seeing some new pots in my future. I have persistent heart burn and headaches that I really need to be rid of.

I agree with perhaps giving them lists/recipies for what they CAN make as the list of don'ts can be pretty overwhelming.

Oh one thing I'd add: precooked chicken from the supermarket, often the stuffing and/or coating has gluten in. For me precooked chickens are on the "avoid completely" list.

I'm adding things you've suggested to my list. I didn't know about the non-stick pans. The pastor's wife has never brought that to my attention--I'll have to ask her about that.

While my list of foods to stay away from is growing, I'm still looking for a way to tell them what they *should* be planning to prepare. Can y'all help me with that? I'm thinking the beginning might be something like--

Fresh, unprocessed meats, vegetables, and fruits are usually the safest, when prepared carefully at home using spices that you have confirmed are additive-free. Anything from a can or a jar should be checked carefully for "hidden" gluten, so if a canned good lists something like Monosodium Glutamate or modified food starch, that's gluten.

Here is a list of foods that are generally fine, though you should still check labels carefully:

*Chicken, beef, ground beef, pork, etc, that is bought uncooked and unseasoned, then prepared safely at home

*all fresh vegetables and fruits

*most frozen or canned vegetables (without sauce)

*most frozen fruits (without thickeners)

*potatoes

*rice

*corn tortillas or tortilla chips

*cheese that has not been highly processed, or pre-shredded. If you buy it in a block and shred it yourself, it's probably ok.

*green salads that are made at home, though salad dressings must be carefully checked. Leaving dressings/sauces on the side is a good idea.

Is that a good start? Sheesh, it's really hard to make cooking this way sound easy and non-intimidating...:confused:

It IS hard to make it sound easy and unintimidating, most of us who have had to adjust to living this way have had to make massive changes in the way we eat. It was intimidating for me too at first.

I dont have suggestions for what to cook really, perhaps you could link to some GF recipie websites to give them ideas.

I know at restaurants my choices seem to be grilled fish with veges, or steak with veges/salad or risotto (made with non-gluten stock)

Just in case you are interested, there are two laws that allows for things to be put in our food without them being listed.

1. The 2% law. If there is less than 2% of an ingredient in an item they don't have to list it.

2. Industry standard. If it is industry standard( the majority of the the products are made with this item) it does not have to be listed.(You would be surprised what is in that carton of milk you drink.

We follow a diet that is stricter than glutton free called specific carb. diet and I don't use anything that is prepackaged or canned. You can get documentation from the company stating that they put nothing in the product that isn't listed if that is true but that doesn't keep you safe if they change their recipe.

:eek:

Just in case you are interested, there are two laws that allows for things to be put in our food without them being listed.

1. The 2% law. If there is less than 2% of an ingredient in an item they don't have to list it.

2. Industry standard. If it is industry standard( the majority of the the products are made with this item) it does not have to be listed.(You would be surprised what is in that carton of milk you drink.

We follow a diet that is stricter than glutton free called specific carb. diet and I don't use anything that is prepackaged or canned. You can get documentation from the company stating that they put nothing in the product that isn't listed if that is true but that doesn't keep you safe if they change their recipe.

:eek:

Our pastor's wife may not have gluten, and it's been difficult for some of the families at church to invite them for Sunday dinner (we rotate, taking turns hosting them on Sunday).

These ladies are mostly very plain cooks, and some of them do rely on convenience foods for daily meals. I'm making up a list of foods/ingredients which *may* contain gluten, in order to remind them to check before using these ingredients. I'm making my own list, because these women will be scared off by some of the "exotic" ingredients on other lists I've found, lol! There really is no reason to include wild einkorn, or seitan on the list I'm giving them. I'll post my list here, so that you can let me know if I've missed something that should be included in the list, or if I've included something that shouldn't be there.

What I need the most now is a positive, basic & concise explanation of what kinds of meals should be ok. If you had to sum up in one paragraph what kinds of meals/recipes/cooking these ladies should be shooting for, what would you write? :bigear:

Here's my list of ingredients that are some common things that they should either avoid completely or *check before using*:

cereals, breads, flours, bread crumbs, pasta, croutons, crackers, chips

spaghetti sauces or other canned tomato products

soy sauce/teriyaki sauce

sour cream

baking powder

ketchup, mustard

caramel coloring or flavoring

canned broths or soups

bouillon cubes or powders, broth base

sauces, gravy, seasoning packets

some spices and spice blends

some instant rice, boxed potato or rice dishes

processed lunch meats & cold cuts

ice cream, yogurt, some cheeses

frozen french fries or hash browns

shortening

salad dressings

MSG-monosodium glutamate

food starch or modified food starch

some extracts & flavorings

Thanks!

If they want to make pasta, Tinkyada makes the best rice pasta, gluten free, that I've ever seen. I have a friend who isn't celiac but is VERY sensitive to even the tiniest amount of gluten, and she can eat that as well as Sam Mills corn pasta. Rice is also good. Corn meal. Bob's Red Mill has a separate mill dedicated exclusively to grinding gluten free products into flours to avoid contamination with their gluten containing products, so their gluten free flours & mixes are good.

Basically, as others have said, buy plain, unprocessed ingredients and cook from scratch when it comes to fish/meat/poultry. There are some good prepackaged gluten free baking mixes including the ones by Namaste & Cherrybrook (the latter has both kinds, so be sure to buy the right one.) Pamela's company (for store-bought cookies, etc) is good because the founder has celiac herself, so she won't be sneaking in any gluten.

You can find safe sour cream, but I'd first look for one that contains only cream and then call the dairy to be sure they haven't added anything else, which is probaby more work than these kind women need to go through to host someone. There is gluten free ketchup that I've seen, but you need to call first.

Edited by Karin

My gf's son is also one of those extreme celiacs. He cannot have most soy sauce or rice milk if it is processed with barley. When they come for dinner, I typically serve:

grilled meat - usually chicken, fish or hamburger

brown rice

steamed broccoli

for dessert, we have fresh fruit.

I never use anything in a can or pre-made burgers. We have done tacos before, but I do not use seasoning packets and she brings the taco shells.

We have also served various homemade soups. I do mean homemade - even the broth.

Tuna salad has worked, but she uses a special mayo that she provides, or we just toss it with olive oil.

Baked fresh talapia with a side salad and fruit.

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

I love this site. She has a great perspective on life and eating and is a celiac.

Gluten free is just a way of life for us, so to me it is simply a matter of reading labels and being hyperaware of what we are putting into our bodies.

Remember that gluten comes from Barely, Rye, Oats (because of how they are grown and processed) and Wheat. BROW.

Yes, a lot of processed foods contain wheat and barley (malt comes from barley as does malt flavoring), but really with labeling laws you can find it.

Stick with whole, unprocessed foods and you should be fine. Grilled meats that you prepare, vegetables, and fruits are safe and easy and will be greatly appreciated by your pastor's wife because you cared enough to make it for her. There is even a gluten free brownie mix that you can find at Wal-Mart these days. And who doesn't love a good brownie, right?

Kudos to you and your friends for caring enough to learn all of this for this woman. She is very lucky indeed to have you in her life.

There are some good websites and blogs with gluten-free recipes. If you have a n idea of what you want to make, you can sometimes find a GF version by Google-ing, e.g. 'gluten free cream of broccoli soup'. That brings you to glutenfreecooking.about.com and gives you a simple recipe. Then you see that it calls for amaranth flour and you panic! Don't.

I buy brown rice flour, 4 bags at a time, from Amazon. You don't even pay shipping if you order more than $25 worth. The rice flour works pretty well as a substitute for any other GF flour.

Perhaps your church could invest in a few bags which people could use as needed. It's a great breading for chicken, fish and cube steaks!

Amazon also has some yummy GF cookies. The Enjoy Life ones are a special treat for me and my kids (GF for 7 years). They sell Tinkyada (rice) pasta, too.

I second the warnings about pans, baking dishes and wooden utensils. It's scary for the GF person when there's a risk of cross-contamination. If you have GF and gluten items being served, beware of crumbs being dropped as dishes are passed, and of stirring or serving both kinds of food with the same spoons. Watch out for crumbs in the butter dish, too!

Examples of meals:

Roast Chicken (salt and pepper, but no stuffing)

Cooked carrots and green beans, just a touch of butter

Baked Potatoes

Beef Stew (beef, water, onions,carrots, celery, ketchup) cooked in the crock pot

Cornbread (from scratch with rice flour instead of wheat flour, if needed)

Grilled Chicken (marinated in oil, lemon juice and garlic)

Salad (obviously no croutons)

May God bless, protect and reward you efforts.

Some other things to keep in mind.

Sliced cheese many times is 'dusted with a type of flour to keep the slices from sticking together. Shredded cheese can be too.

Many of your seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder etc has an anti caking agent that can be problematic.

Kudos to you and your friends for caring enough to learn all of this for this woman. She is very lucky indeed to have you in her life.

:iagree:It does become a way of life but so many people think you should be able to 'cheat' on it like you do a weight loss diet. When you have a gut problem cheating can be a very traumatic thing.

It is wonderful that you are putting out the effort to help her stay safe. Often it isn't like that.

I just have to ask...what *is* in the carton of milk you drink? :001_huh:

I should have worded this differently and said what they do to the milk you drink although there is suspision that they do put some kind of flavorings in to cover up the bad taste from the ultra past.

Here is an article that you might be interested in on the issue. Read it all. It is a real eye opener. http://www.westonaprice.org/Ultra-Pasteurized-Milk.html

By the way leaky gut is the problem that my little guy has and it has been quite a journey with him.

We have also served various homemade soups. I do mean homemade - even the broth.

Homemade broth is one of the easiest things out there to make, but you need to be home long enough for it to simmer long enough. We are on a rotary diet and ours is much more limited than merely gluten, but you can easily make broth with turkey, chicken, beef, etc especially if you have bones (some places sell beef soup bones.) Just add onions, carrots & celery if you can eat them for more flavour. We make ours with just the poultry/meat most of the time, but there are also some good herbs we add on mint day (rosemary, thyme, etc--bay leaf is not in the mint family and so we can use it on a different day.) I learned how to make from my 1979 edition of Fanny Farmer. Anything made with boullion now tastes rather fake to me after all this time (but I'm not supposed to eat it with boullion.) Be warned that canned broths often have flavours added and not all canned chicken stock is made truly from chicken.

I would recommend the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (as someone else did earlier). I also think it might be a good idea for her to shop at a local farm that has high organic standards. Also United Food Co-ops has a lot of the foods recommended on this thread for a lot cheaper than one can find on the internet. You have to find the co-op but it is easy to do. You order online and then go to the distribution day once a month. There are many specialty and organic foods available and they have very specific labels about what the food contains.

You said no tropical oils so I am guessing palm oil is out? If not, Spectrum Organics makes a palm shortening. It is the only one I use.

I do cook GF for my husband. I think it would be SUPER helpful if you could assemble some menus with recipes for the other ladies, along with the very nice list you compiled to help guide purchasing ingredients. I think a list of 5 to 10 menus could be SOOOOO helpful.

I do cook GF for my husband. I think it would be SUPER helpful if you could assemble some menus with recipes for the other ladies, along with the very nice list you compiled to help guide purchasing ingredients. I think a list of 5 to 10 menus could be SOOOOO helpful.

I might do that...but I'm not sure that I want to limit them to only the menus that *I think* look good, lol! I've also considered purchasing a gluten-free cookbook to place in the church library. Do any of you have suggestions for a cookbook that would be good for that purpose? It needs to be very very homestyle recipes and ingredients, mostly because that's what these ladies are used to cooking, and secondarily because we live in a tiny town that has only one small grocery and no specialty-type products at all. You will not find corn pasta or gluten-free ketchup at our store. :glare:

The thing is that cooking in most gluten free cook books is going to call for special ingredients, flours, etc. that I can't see purchasing to cook for someone once a month or whatever. They are expensive and in many areas not readily available and there is a learning curve to more complex gluten free cooking and baking.

If I were this woman I would not at all feel comfortable trusting people to prepare my food gluten free. For one thing cross contamination of utensils, pots/pans, and things like toasters is a major problem. Even a little bit will hurt her. Does she want this or feel obligated to keep up church expectations. Maybe there is a better way to be of service to them than Sunday meals?

Tinkyada pasta is really good! But the easiest way for people to cook safely for her would be meat, veggie, potato or rice meals with fruit for dessert. You'd also need to provide them with information about seasoning gluten free. That's what I would suggest people do as it's lowest risk for her and the lowest cost and trouble for them. You could also see what gluten free boxed options might be available at your local grocery.

I find some people get really uptight about altering their cooking (my mother still refuses to give my dc any food after being diagnosed 8 years ago). Also, if you only do this occasionally it's very easy to make mistakes.

I would suggest sticking with basics, plain roasted or baked chicken, broiled fish, grilled meat. Plain rice, baked potato, steam fresh veggies, salad of only fresh veg, fresh fruit. Have a variety of condiments (mustard, catsup, salad dressing, seasonings) available for people to choose from on their own. If you put out condiments in jars or sticks of butter they need to be new to be sure no one has put the knife they sliced bread with in the jar previously. This way the sensitive person can eat all the food served and can pick out whatever condiments she deems safe for herself on her own. (I carry my own salad dressing to family gatherings for my dd)

Anyway, you can make a variety of simple meals this way. It really isn't hard to throw a steak on the grill and bake potatoes or put a chicken in the oven and boil plain rice.

I would advise no baked goods whatsoever, unless purchased labeled GF. If someone really wants a GF baked dessert duncan hines is putting out a line of GF mixes, but a person using these will have to make sure their kitchen area is absolutely clean and the mix should be baked in a disposable pan.

Edited by betty
spelling

The thing is that cooking in most gluten free cook books is going to call for special ingredients, flours, etc. that I can't see purchasing to cook for someone once a month or whatever.

Ah, yes, that's why I was hoping for a cookbook suggestion that would use more basic ingredients. My plan is to put it in the church library so that all of us could use it.

If I were this woman I would not at all feel comfortable trusting people to prepare my food gluten free. For one thing cross contamination of utensils, pots/pans, and things like toasters is a major problem. Even a little bit will hurt her. Does she want this or feel obligated to keep up church expectations. Maybe there is a better way to be of service to them than Sunday meals?

The pastor's wife is sensitive to gluten, but not to the point where she's found cookware cross-contamination to be an issue. The pastor and his wife have both expressed a deep desire to continue this fellowship, especially since they come from quite a distance to serve us. It would be a late lunch indeed, if they had to wait until they got home to eat. She feels the benefits outweigh the risks, and we are glad to do our best for her.

I find some people get really uptight about altering their cooking (my mother still refuses to give my dc any food after being diagnosed 8 years ago). Also, if you only do this occasionally it's very easy to make mistakes.

I would suggest sticking with basics, plain roasted or baked chicken, broiled fish, grilled meat. Plain rice, baked potato, steam fresh veggies, salad of only fresh veg, fresh fruit.

I agree. You have to watch your leavening, be sure the flour it truly certified gluten free (free from gluten contamination). Also, I do things like "make your own salad" instead of mixing something up (we have lots of sensitivities between us, too) and I NEVER put dressing on ahead of time. If you cook dry lentils or beans, you need to pick through them very carefully as there are often grain like seeds in them that might be grain, so I don't recommend beans, either, unless they're fresh.

Also, not everyone is so sensitive that they have to worry about corss contamination from a pan, but I only use stainless steel or pyrex & wash them in the dishwasher, so I don't use nonstick. I don't even have a good cast iron pan anymore. The key is to ask her yourself.

I agree with the baking. Better to serve fruit (NOT something with a dressing--we make fruit salad with only fruit) etc. I'd ask the family if there are any safe brands of ready made desserts (there are, but they'd have to know about them) or just skip dessert. Why does every meal need a dessert?

Even Bob's Red Mill is not currently calling their buckwheat flour gluten free because their current supplier isn't able to keep the cross contamination down low enough. They actually test everything and are very carefully. I just placed an order with them this week, and was going to order buckwheat flour, but she'd heard me say gluten free and kindly let me know since I only had last year's catalogue. Same with corn meal, corn flour & corn masa--it has to be tested gluten free due to cross contamination possiblilities. They do have gluten free oats (they have to be grown and processed properly to be gluten free and bought from a reputable place, such as Bob's Red Mill, or somewhere else good.) However, I wouldn't buy those for your guest.

Edited by Karin

I like this cookbook for gfcf recipes as well as the first one, but it does call for special ingredients.

Of all the cookbooks I tried (fr the library), though, when learning to cook gfcf for dh, this was the only one I bought. Now? I can do a lot by intuition, if that makes sense. It's been a yr.

Otoh, maybe you could find recipes online that look easy-ish, print them, & make a binder for the church library, at least for the time being. Other information, like where in the grocery store to find some of the more exotic ingredients (like coconut milk, lol) could be included there, too, as well as basic replacement tips, i.e., cooking potatoes w/ chicken broth instead of milk/butter (if she's dairy-free).

Another thought--& this could either be fun or way too much trouble--but what if you ladies from the church took an afternoon & went to the grocery store together? Y'all could ea bring a recipe that you want to make, choose the ingredients together, & then go back to whoever has the biggest kitchen, & cook together. Freeze the meals at your own homes, & voila! That could be esp helpful if you wanted to share a bag of rice flour, for ex.

The most intimidating thing for ME was the number of different exotic ingredients I needed to try before getting a feel for what I actually wanted to keep on hand. I can't imagine the stress of trying to do something like that for a non-family member once a month or so.

Dp's parents (his dad has Celiac's and can't do gluten at all) bought me this cookbook (Make it Fast, Cook it Slow) for Christmas this past year. All the recipes are gluten free and very few use specialty ingredients. There are quite a few simple recipes (dump cans of this and that in a crock pot with some seasoning, for example). The book wouldn't be my go-to gluten-free cookbook, but it is simple, and I'm hoping that at least some of the women are accustomed to cooking with a crock pot.

Dp's parents (his dad has Celiac's and can't do gluten at all) bought me this cookbook (Make it Fast, Cook it Slow) for Christmas this past year. All the recipes are gluten free and very few use specialty ingredients. There are quite a few simple recipes (dump cans of this and that in a crock pot with some seasoning, for example). The book wouldn't be my go-to gluten-free cookbook, but it is simple, and I'm hoping that at least some of the women are accustomed to cooking with a crock pot.

But be careful with spices and seasonings as powdered ones often have extenders in them. I grate my own nutmeg, for example. Herbs are okay, though, because you can see the flakes.

There are sample menus online. I will post some of my favorite links below. If you are concerned about special ingredients, you need to call any health food stores in a resonable distance. We have one that sells the special flours in bulk - that means if you are making a recipe you don't have to buy the big bag. You can take your measuring spoons and measure out exactly what you want. If you need a tablespoon or 3 cups, it is then sold by weight like produce. That means the expensive flour may really only cost a dollar or less. See if you can find a health food store that allows you to buy that way.

http://www.annecollins.com/gluten-free-diet-menu.htm

http://momcooksglutenfree.com/

http://glutenfreemom.typepad.com/gluten_free_mom/

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/information/inspiration_expert_advice/expert_columns/Lara_Rondinelli/gluten-free-menu.html

http://www.gluten.net/recipes/

http://www.csaceliacs.org/recipes.php

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

http://www.glutenfreeda.com/members_menus.asp

LeAnne Ely has menu mailers that come to you by email. One of them now has Gluten Free options. It is $15 for 3 months which could possibly create a good base of ideas. http://savingdinner.com/go-shopping/weekly-subscriptions/

This is a new article I came across recently. While it doesn't give recipes, it has many suggestions for menus that have world themes (like Italian,Scandinavian, etc). http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2626851/a_world_tour_of_glutenfree_dinner_menu.html?cat=5

Perhaps you could offer safe brand names as you get to know them? I just read on a box of Jones frozen sausage that it is gluten free - it had the logo of a celiac awareness group on it, too. The company is pledging to keep its products gluten-free. I know that if I had to cook for a family on a special diet, I would appreciate specific suggestions like that.

Let us know what kind of feedback you get from your church members!

J

• 8 months later...
I believe the lady who does the crockpot365 blog does her recipes gluten free. She does use specialty ingredients on occasion, and they would still need to be careful spices and things, but I have found her recipes quite easy. Crockpots are nice for a busy Sunday.

I think she also wrote a book.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

This site or book would be great to share!

Some already prepared things my celiac dh can eat include:

Hormel Beef Roast au jus

Del Real Seasoned Shredded Beef

Safeway chicken hot from deli

Safeway turkey hot from deli

HTH!

I might do that...but I'm not sure that I want to limit them to only the menus that *I think* look good, lol! I've also considered purchasing a gluten-free cookbook to place in the church library. Do any of you have suggestions for a cookbook that would be good for that purpose? It needs to be very very homestyle recipes and ingredients, mostly because that's what these ladies are used to cooking, and secondarily because we live in a tiny town that has only one small grocery and no specialty-type products at all. You will not find corn pasta or gluten-free ketchup at our store. :glare:

I would suggest The Gluten Free Gourmet. The author is an older woman who has been developing gf recipes for over 20 years (probably closer to 30), and while some of her recipes are "newer", many are things like pot roast, roasted chicken, chicken pot pie, rice casseroles, etc. There are several baking recipes in there (since that's what most newly-diagnosed gf people kind of freak out over not being able to have ;)) but there are lots of "regular" recipes in there as well. There's also a really user-friendly section in the front telling about what celiac and/or gluten sensitivity is all about, and what to watch for. (Might want to let the ladies in the congregation know if she's celiac - meaning they should watch their pans and cooking surfaces - or just sensitive or intolerant, meaning she can't have gluten actually in her food.)

Some good brands:

Rice - Minute Rice, Mahatma, and Riceland are all gf. Many others process their rice on the same belt with couscous (wheat) and pearled barley. You may wish to ask her if that's an issue.

Kraft - will clearly label ANY source of gluten. Modified food starch is from corn unless otherwise notated, flavorings do not come from wheat, rye, oats, or barley unless specifically noted. (I love Kraft. :D)

Cheeses - we stick with Kraft for grated, cellulose is not a gluten product (at least with them.) Otherwise, we buy cheese in a block and process it (grate, slice, dice, whatever) ourselves.

Corn tortillas - Mission are gluten free, others you would need to check on. We're usually able to find these just about anywhere. I wouldn't even touch any sort of flour tortillas for the majority of the cooks you've spoken of - even if they say gf. Many are just plain nasty. I make ours from scratch, which isn't hard, but requires gf flour blends.

Rice flour will be the easiest to work with for breadings, etc...it's easy to find and fairly cheap. Corn starch is great for thickening gravies and sauces, Argo is gf.