Menu

Who has listened to SWB's *new* writing and lit. analysis lectures?

Colleen in NS

I mean the ones that begin with something like A Plan for Teaching Writing, not the old Writing Without Fear. And the new lit. analysis one. I am wondering what you thought, and how you are implementing any or all of it. Did they help you get a "bigger picture?" Just thought it would be fun to discuss here, and maybe helpful to others. They sure are helpful to me. I've written a lot about them since I attended the conf. last year, but I'd like to hear from others.

I have! They definitely did help me to get the big picture and define our goals. I was aimless for awhile, especially in the LA area, because so much of the LA curricula out there looked good. Listening to all three of SWB's writing lectures, as well as the lit analysis one, clarified so much for me. I could see that I was overcomplicating things. Her recommendations just make so much sense to me, I feel like we've streamlined LA and I'm confident about where we're going. Most importantly, I know where we're going now.

We've stepped up our narrations for content subjects a lot. My kids are young, so between WWE and additional work in history and sometimes science, I feel like we've really got the foundation established for future writing.

Edited by Annie Laurie

I just listened to the literary analysis one today. I also need to sit and listen to it again and take notes.

I can see an mp3 player and a small notepad in my near future. I don't do dvd lectures often because of the need to sit, listen and watch. :bored:

I love how she gets the point across without constantly repeating herself. (It can be done!) :thumbup:

She really is a great speaker! I hope to collect all her lectures over the next few weeks.

I am about half way through listening to the lit. analysis lecture. It is helping me very much. I like that it gives me a big picture idea of what I should be doing at each stage. I can't wait to listen to the writing ones.

Jan

Yes! Big picture. :iagree:

Throw it all at me and then break down the details--or assume I can do that myself. Speakers who do the opposite put me to sleep (Really, don't explain it like I'm 4 years old ok? :tongue_smilie:)

On your recommendation, Colleen, I listened last night to the mp3s for middle school, high school, and lit. analysis. I took notes on all three, too. They were all very helpful, but I will need to review and review my notes, because it takes a long time for things to really sink in.

Part of me feels like ditching everything else, and just doing SWB's way. Why make it more complicated? My day is already crowded as it is. On the other hand, I'm a little panicked about getting such a late start with my son, who is in 9th. Definitely some time pressure there. I just started IEW about a week ago to get some quick skill-building in structure, because I feel like he needs to make progress now. But I've also started him on outlining and doing logic-stage foundational stuff from WTM. I've got my dd9, 4th, started on the skills from WWE 2, but incorporated into history and science, not the workbook. I still need to feel things out and see which way we want to go. But I must say, SWB's recommendations are very appealing.

download! Colleen, you advised me in an earlier thread (is that what it's called?) to purchase and listen. Just today I found that thread (which is a whole two posts long so bless you for answering my questions!) and read your advice to listen to the series.

If the littles stay asleep I will be listening momentarily! I will be back with my two cents ASAP (probably not today but you never know!). :)

I listened to the 3 writing mp3s and still have to listen to the literary analysis one. I too am considering just ditching a curriculum and doing it her way (until she comes out with her own curriculum LOL).

The middle years one was AWESOME. Loved how detailed it was. "Do this and this and this."

The high school one I was fuzzier on. In the middle years lecture she talked about how in high school the student would come up with his own outline and then write from that, but in the high school lecture she didn't really talk about coming up with his own outline at all.:confused: Is that sort of thing covered in the materials she recommended?

WTM 2009 edition.

And speaking of this edition - the logic stage history section of this edition has questions you can use to extract an outline. I like these questions much better than the outlining instructions from the older editions. The middle grade writing lecture mentioned one of the questions (not sure if it made it onto the CD), but not all. I printed them all out and gave them to my ds to use (after I walked through it with him many times).

I'm a little panicked about getting such a late start with my son, who is in 9th...But I've also started him on outlining and doing logic-stage foundational stuff from WTM.

One thing I remember her saying at the conf. where these were recorded was that if your child can at least outline someone else's writing and rewrite from that outline, that she as a college professor could take him further in writing in college. She told us that many college kids canNOT outline and rewrite from outlines. I don't know if that's included on the CD or not.

In the middle years lecture she talked about how in high school the student would come up with his own outline and then write from that, but in the high school lecture she didn't really talk about coming up with his own outline at all.:confused: Is that sort of thing covered in the materials she recommended?

I wrote a note to myself about that, too, right after I listened to her speak! There was a missing link in my brain. Then I just assumed she forgot to mention it, since she mentioned it in the middle grade one. When I got home, I pored back through my notes, decided I'd understood it correctly (that in high school a student would come up with his own outline and rewrite from it), and I looked through my R&S writing lessons (I have all the TMs). I finally figured out that I'd have my kids learn to take notes from different sources, sort those into outlines, and voila, rewrite (yes, this is all covered in R&S). I'm guessing that, depending on the type of essay he/she is writing (contrast, compare, etc.), the notes and outline can reflect that, and therefore, the essay (rewrite) will reflect that. I also figured that the rhetoric study will lend thinking skill to the outline and rewrite. So, that is the conclusion I came to.

Another thing I did recently is I typed out sheets of questions from WTM, to use when talking about books/primary sources/science experiments. I've got six sheets sticky-tacked to the wall by the computer where ds does his writing assignments.

- analyzing a literature book

- analyzing a biography

- evaluating a literature book or biography

- analyzing/evaluating a primary source document

- questions to use for extracting an outline

- experiment writeup questions

So, on an outlining day, I have ds use the outlining questions. On an experiment day, he uses the experiment questions. On a narration day, he uses any of the others, depending on what we've decided to talk about and write about. I try to alternate the narration topics so that he gets practice analyzing literature, biographies, or primary sources.

I am *so* glad those CDs are finally out!:D

Edited by Colleen in NS

Another thing I did recently is I typed out sheets of questions from WTM, to use when talking about books/primary sources/science experiments. I've got six sheets sticky-tacked to the wall by the computer where ds does his writing assignments.

- analyzing a biography

So, on an outlining day, I have ds use the outlining questions. On an experiment day, he uses the experiment questions. On a narration day, he uses any of the others, depending on what we've decided to talk about and write about. I try to alternate the narration topics so that he gets practice analyzing literature, biographies, or primary sources.

I'm in the process of listening to the mp3s also. I just wanted to say that the above quote is very helpful! Thank you for that info.

I am so excited! I get to hear SWB speak at a seminar tomorrow night. I believe the subject is "Educating ourselves while Educating our Children" or something along those lines. I couldn't go to the WTM convention last year, so I'm pumped about actually hearing her live! :thumbup:

Holly

One thing I will try do is the following. We like to watch NOVA and History shows. For example, we recently watched the History show about Ice Age America. I wrote an outline as we watched the show. Then I will give DS the outline, and have him write up a portion of the show, based on the outline. In the outlining books I have, they have very simple outlines DC has to write from. I figure, I might as well get some bang from my buck and use our history and science, I write the outline, and have him write from it. Plus, it helps me to retain the info about writing it down.

Colleen: all those questions are in WTM2009? I guess I know what I'll be doing over spring break!

I listened to the middle grades writing lecture and thought it was fabulous. It gave lots of concrete advice so I am definitely on board with integrating the writing across the curriculum. I am getting ready for fifth grade with my son next year and it really helped to listen to her thoughts and plans.

It was good enouh that I am going to get the other ones to listen to as well.

Thanks Colleen !

- analyzing a biography

I love this idea! Thank you!

I wrote a note to myself about that, too, right after I listened to her speak! There was a missing link in my brain. Then I just assumed she forgot to mention it, since she mentioned it in the middle grade one. When I got home, I pored back through my notes, decided I'd understood it correctly (that in high school a student would come up with his own outline and rewrite from it), and I looked through my R&S writing lessons (I have all the TMs). I finally figured out that I'd have my kids learn to take notes from different sources, sort those into outlines, and voila, rewrite (yes, this is all covered in R&S). I'm guessing that, depending on the type of essay he/she is writing (contrast, compare, etc.), the notes and outline can reflect that, and therefore, the essay (rewrite) will reflect that. I also figured that the rhetoric study will lend thinking skill to the outline and rewrite. So, that is the conclusion I came to.

Ah, it's good to know I'm not the only one who was confused by that! Do you happen to know which R&S covers it? I have grades 3-5. SWB also mentioned another book, just in case we chose a grammar that didn't teach outlining. I believe it's called something like "Note-Taking and Outlining," but I will have to go back and re-listen. (I listened to it when I couldn't take notes very well LOL.) So I wonder if just having a resource that like that would work, if we end up using a grammar that doesn't include it???:confused:

- analyzing a biography

Ah, it's good to know I'm not the only one who was confused by that! Do you happen to know which R&S covers it? I have grades 3-5. SWB also mentioned another book, just in case we chose a grammar that didn't teach outlining. I believe it's called something like "Note-Taking and Outlining," but I will have to go back and re-listen. (I listened to it when I couldn't take notes very well LOL.) So I wonder if just having a resource that like that would work, if we end up using a grammar that doesn't include it???:confused:

R&S 6 introduces notetaking from various sources, making an outline from those notes, and rewriting from that outline. We did these lessons a few months ago, and that was when the lightbulb went on about how it would work for high school composing, LOL!

I didn't write down the name of the book, because I knew R&S had outlining help, and she had mentioned that one set of questions to help a child extract the main idea of a paragraph (did that make it onto the CD?). That one set of questions made more sense to me than the outlining books I had looked at in the past. So then when I looked at the new WTM outlining questions, I searched no more for other outlining help. But, the book may be mentioned in the new WTM, I can't remember.

I love this idea! Thank you!

You're welcome, Jean!

:iagree::D

Thank you, but the credit goes to the WTM authors - really, the questions are *all* in there - go look them up and type them up on separate sheets (I can point you to page numbers and tell you how I titled each page if you like)!:D It's amazing the amount of teaching/thinking help hidden in that book. And cheaper than buying a curriculum, and more interesting (to me, anyway)...

You're welcome, Jean!

Thank you, but the credit goes to the WTM authors - really, the questions are *all* in there - go look them up and type them up on separate sheets (I can point you to page numbers and tell you how I titled each page if you like)!:D It's amazing the amount of teaching/thinking help hidden in that book. And cheaper than buying a curriculum, and more interesting (to me, anyway)...

You are talking about the newest WTM version, right? I just want to clarify, as I don't have a copy of that one yet.

Thought of another question.

In the high school lecture, SWB "recommended" Classical Writing, with the caveat that it assumes that the teacher is very familiar with rhetorical writing, etc. The 2 questions I have off the top of my head are:

1. Which levels does she "recommend" to begin in the 9th grade?

2. Is she referring to just using the Core books without the student workbooks? Or is she referring to the student workbooks as well?

I'm wondering if maybe I could use her plan through middle school and then switch to CW for high school. But I don't know where she suggests to begin. And honestly I'm stumped as to what to do about the high school writing - I don't know if I'd be up for the self-study that she recommends. I don't really want to use IEW. I can't remember the 3rd option she gave LOL. So that leaves us with CW. And honestly I was planning to use CW next year anyway, so I'm definitely not opposed to it.;) But I don't know where she'd say to start, and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

When my oldest begins 9th grade I'll also have a 7th, 6th, 3rd, 2nd, and PreKer that I'll be teaching. I'll also have a toddler running around.:001_huh:

in the handouts section of this site. They go with some older lectures, but there are also the lecture notes that follow the new MP3 downloads...

...and here it was taking notes yesterday and it's already been done for me...figures...

Also...I did up writing pages per Colleen's suggestion...I think these will benefit my ds so much!

And...one last thing...in one of the lectures, SWB talks about IEW (if you've listened to the lectures you know what I'm talking about)...I have been using this for a few weeks with ds...he seems to like it well enough...I just think it's too much to do this and SWB's methods (and I like hers better, anyway AND this is what we've been doing mostly, over the years). What does the hive think? I also agree with her on the dress-ups business...too stifling, and well...too artificial. I mean, if you are not going to follow the curriculum the way it was intended (and to me IEW is meant to be followed pretty closely) what's the piont? It definitely seems like a waste of money, but then that's the story of my life!!!

anyhoo...thought I'd share

Robin

Edited by Robin in DFW

They go with some older lectures, but there are also the lecture notes that follow the new MP3 downloads...

...and here it was taking notes yesterday and it's already been done for me...figures...

Umm .... could you have shared this BEFORE I paused & re-started a million times as I furiously scribbled down notes?!?!?!?!?!

:D

I just found them here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/workshops-handouts/ , btw, for others that might want to print before they listen. :)

Umm .... could you have shared this BEFORE I paused & re-started a million times as I furiously scribbled down notes?!?!?!?!?!

:D

I just found them here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/workshops-handouts/ , btw, for others that might want to print before they listen. :)

Thanks for the tip. I really need to go over all this stuff and make my plans for writing.

I finished the literary analysis one a couple of days ago and just finished the Elementary Writing lecture and I thought they were *fantastic*! I can't wait to listen to the Middle School Writing lecture tomorrow night, as my oldest will be in 5th grade next year. :-)

:hurray: Get ready to get your confidence boosted!

in the handouts section of this site. They go with some older lectures, but there are also the lecture notes that follow the new MP3 downloads...

Also...I did up writing pages per Colleen's suggestion...I think these will benefit my ds so much!

And...one last thing...in one of the lectures, SWB talks about IEW (if you've listened to the lectures you know what I'm talking about)...I have been using this for a few weeks with ds...he seems to like it well enough...I just think it's too much to do this and SWB's methods (and I like hers better, anyway AND this is what we've been doing mostly, over the years). What does the hive think? I also agree with her on the dress-ups business...too stifling, and well...too artificial. I mean, if you are not going to follow the curriculum the way it was intended (and to me IEW is meant to be followed pretty closely) what's the piont? It definitely seems like a waste of money, but then that's the story of my life!!!

anyhoo...thought I'd share

Robin

I just get so excited when others "catch on" to the material in these lectures - the ease/sensibility/flexibility were revolutionary to me. I know I post about it a lot, but if people out there are helped, then I will keep posting.

"What does the hive think?" Well, what do *you* think? (see the bolded bits above) :D Seems like you've already got some pretty strong reasons leaning one way.

To me, some of those writing programs have their merits (IEW, CW, etc.), and achieve a lot of the same objectives. But to me, SWB explained how to accomplish those same things, in my own time frame, with lots of flexibility, and for a heck of a lot less money!:D

I downloaded them and I called a school holiday. I spent the morning in my room, resting on my bed in the sun(need all the vitamin D I can get), and being inspired.

I have listened to them countless times and it was so refreshing. I love having the big picture so I can assess where we are and where we need to go. I found that I was more confident in my own abilities to teach higher writing levels. I was also relieved to understand more about literary analysis. Of course this means that I've bought too much curr. and I need to sell some of it.:glare: One of these times I will remember that I like to do things the WTM way and I always regret doing something different.

I think I need to go back and listen to it again before I hit the hs conference in April.:D

I downloaded them and I called a school holiday. I spent the morning in my room, resting on my bed in the sun(need all the vitamin D I can get), and being inspired.

I hear you. We have had gray skies for endless days now and I am weary. But I'm glad you finally got to listen.

I have listened to them countless times and it was so refreshing. I love having the big picture so I can assess where we are and where we need to go. I found that I was more confident in my own abilities to teach higher writing levels. I was also relieved to understand more about literary analysis.

It's such a relief, isn't it.

Okay ladies, I'm not an auditory learner. [sighs heavily] I desperately wish I could get my hands on this in print... all in one little confined book.

Incidentally, is there a projected date for part 2 of The Complete Writer Series? :bigear: I know SWB's always working hard to please the Hive, but I don't see any news or updates anywhere at PHP. Just hoping someone has some insider info. ;)

Okay ladies, I'm not an auditory learner. [sighs heavily] I desperately wish I could get my hands on this in print... all in one little confined book.

I had the same thought. Not only am I not an auditory learner, I have a hearing problem and if I can't see the person's face when they are talking, there is no way I will catch most of what they are saying, especially through a computer speaker. I REALLY WISH it was in a book!!

Incidentally, is there a projected date for part 2 of The Complete Writer Series? :bigear:

I REALLY WISH it was in a book!!

Here's a quote from her blog two days ago: "5. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m finishing up a scope and sequence for the middle-grade writing series; donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t email to ask us when the books will be published (IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll let you KNOW, I promise) but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m making progress. Have been reading Aristotle and Cicero and contemplating how to use topics exercises with sixth-graders."

Here's a quote from her blog two days ago: "5. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m finishing up a scope and sequence for the middle-grade writing series; donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t email to ask us when the books will be published (IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll let you KNOW, I promise) but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m making progress. Have been reading Aristotle and Cicero and contemplating how to use topics exercises with sixth-graders."

Oooh, that sounds so great!! I can't wait!

I am another one who has to thank you, Colleen. I saw you recommend listening to these so many times, finally bought all of them, listened to them over and over, and it's like a load has been lifted off my shoulders in the LA department.

Just saw this! Thank you, Colleen. :)

I mean the ones that begin with something like A Plan for Teaching Writing, not the old Writing Without Fear. And the new lit. analysis one. I am wondering what you thought, and how you are implementing any or all of it. Did they help you get a "bigger picture?" Just thought it would be fun to discuss here, and maybe helpful to others. They sure are helpful to me. I've written a lot about them since I attended the conf. last year, but I'd like to hear from others.

I would love to download these sessions, but PHP is saying that they can't process my credit card due to the area of Australia I am in. I've never had this problem anywhere else.....:sad:

Colleen, thank you for being so "vocal" in recommending these lectures. They really are very good. I ended up with all three writing lectures. It is a lot to absorb, but has really boosted my confidence in the process.

You're welcome! Just listen to them over and over again, adding to your notes each time - things will become clearer and simpler, and you'll be able to make your own plan for teaching.:D

Can someone tell me why SWB took out Kingfisher History of the World-at least for the logic stage? I have the 2004 ed, but jut got the 2009 ed., and it's not in there.

Its out of print (at least the Illustrated one is). You can occasionally find it on the used market, but usually at an exorbitant price.

LindainOz, I had the same problem with ordering from PHP. I kept getting an error saying my address didn't match my billing address or some such thing. After getting a few friends to try ordering we discovered that none of us could order and it has nothing to do with our credit cards. We suspected that Australians could not order and PHP confirmed this and told me that it properly won't change in the near future either. They did however tell me that we could try faxing, phoning (although we'd have to do it after midnight...seems an odd hour to be on the phone) or mailing our details but they didn't guarantee that their banking system would accept our foreign addressed cards anyway.

Disappointing really. I can understand not selling books and such to us due to the high shipping prices but it would be nice to be able to download products. Like you I haven't had a problem with this with any other provider that I've bought from.

Hopefully their policy will change with demand. I was so eager to hear these new audios too. :crying:

Thanks Colleen for mentioning these! I download the lit. analysis one and within the first 8 min I had the answers to my questions and my mind was put at ease. Which is really good because the pregnant mind tends to obsess even more than usual :D!

LindainOz, I had the same problem with ordering from PHP. I kept getting an error saying my address didn't match my billing address or some such thing. After getting a few friends to try ordering we discovered that none of us could order and it has nothing to do with our credit cards. We suspected that Australians could not order and PHP confirmed this and told me that it properly won't change in the near future either. They did however tell me that we could try faxing, phoning (although we'd have to do it after midnight...seems an odd hour to be on the phone) or mailing our details but they didn't guarantee that their banking system would accept our foreign addressed cards anyway.

Disappointing really. I can understand not selling books and such to us due to the high shipping prices but it would be nice to be able to download products. Like you I haven't had a problem with this with any other provider that I've bought from.

Hopefully their policy will change with demand. I was so eager to hear these new audios too. :crying:

Yes, that's exactly the message I kept getting when I tried to order. I did email them, and they responded by saying that they are not able to process cards in certain parts of Australia, but I'm not really in a remote area so I'm not sure why that is. It IS disappointing - the audios sound like they would be great. :tongue_smilie: Oh well!!!