Menu

Ice Dance. WOW. :D

Just finished watching the ice dance and you know what? I think that was THE BEST moment of these games for me. I could honestly be happy even if Canada didn't even medal in either hockey (well, I would like the women to win gold).

Virtue and Moir were AMAZING. Honestly, the way they connect with each other reminded me of the pairs skaters Gordeeva and Grinkov. Oh wow. I still have goosebumps.

The only other team that got me was Davis and White. They're fantastic too! And I think part of the fun of Virtue and Moir's gold was that Davis and White were obviously not just thrilled with their silver but also happy for V&M.

I have to start watching figure skating again so I can follow those two teams!

Meanwhile, the Russians who came in third need a new costume designer. Nevermind the leaf and loincloth costumes. The ones they wore tonight were...um...revealing? It wasn't until they showed closeups that I realized their were faces painted on the woman's dress. Up until then it looked like she'd had a severe wardrobe mis function.

Anyhow, have to go to bed...After a happy dance or two! Whoo hoo!

The only thing that kind of didn't grab me was the music. I mean, Mahler's 5th? How many people can hum that?

Yup, call me shallow but I want a tune I can hum with or the audience can clap with or that grabs you. The Phantom did that. There are some other musical pieces that do that but a lot of the pieces tonight were, I don't know, too serious and stuffy for me.

That said, I loved the flamenco number they did a couple nights ago.

It didn't have the effect of making me want to follow the sport though. I'll check in again in 4 years :)

Yes, we have been not so patiently waiting all week for tonight. Several of the dances were very good. We liked the first couple in purple who danced to Bohemian Rhapsody and the third couple quite a bit. The one in which the girl was supposed to be perhaps a bird (very colorful fluttery costume) was also very good. We really felt that the other Americans did better than the Russians and should have taken the bronze. The entire family felt that both American teams and the Canadian team put in truly stunning proformences and we would have been happy with which ever order the top two came in with the other American team in 3rd.

I'm really surprised about the reports today saying that the Russians were upset with their 3rd place finish. Of course they would have liked to win gold but I really don't think that they were "cheated" out of gold. They truly feel that the judges weren't fair. I was almost moved to tears watching the gold and silver teams. On the other hand, I wasn't that impressed with the Russian team. They had a good performance but not that memorable.

I loved it. I was hoping Davis & White would take the gold. Their performance was the most captivating, but you cannot deny the emotion between Virtue and Moir. The soft glances, the brushing of his fingers against her arm while they were warming up...mmm...even DH was wondering what was going on.

The medal ceremony was just as pleasant to watch as the dancing.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

I have heard they suspect a new rule against being able to use your costume to aid in lifts and such. I think that's what put the Russians in 3rd. I get that they were "out there" and all artsy, and I think the judges like that stuff, but having ropes as part of your costume to help with lifts just didn't work for me. And there's no way you can say those Russians connected the way the Canadian or American teams did. The Russian guy who got silver in Men's was complaining of the same thing.

It was a night filled with beautiful and moving performances for sure. I also really liked the Italians that came in 4th - with the "immigrants" theme, and the other Russians where the girl was the phoenix.

My husband thought a lot of the guys were channelling Elvis, but I guess they always kind of do when you have sparkles and big collars!:lol:

Ladies are up next!!

I loved it. I was hoping Davis & White would take the gold. Their performance was the most captivating, but you cannot deny the emotion between Virtue and Moir. The soft glances, the brushing of his fingers against her arm while they were warming up...mmm...even DH was wondering what was going on.

While I think Davis & White actually put forth the more technically stunning performance, I must admit I was moved to tears by Virtue & Moir. They were both amazing and it was very difficult to pick a favorite.

I have heard they suspect a new rule against being able to use your costume to aid in lifts and such. I think that's what put the Russians in 3rd. I get that they were "out there" and all artsy, and I think the judges like that stuff, but having ropes as part of your costume to help with lifts just didn't work for me. And there's no way you can say those Russians connected the way the Canadian or American teams did. The Russian guy who got silver in Men's was complaining of the same thing.

It was a night filled with beautiful and moving performances for sure. I also really liked the Italians that came in 4th - with the "immigrants" theme, and the other Russians where the girl was the phoenix.

My husband thought a lot of the guys were channelling Elvis, but I guess they always kind of do when you have sparkles and big collars!:lol:

Ladies are up next!!

Yes, I was not terribly impressed with the Russians that took the bronze. Their proformance was not as complex and difficult and they had to use props to achieve it. Theie costumes were also odd, their piece violent and they just didn't connect with the audience. I was much more impressed with the other Russian pair and the other Americans and if I was judging one of those two would have taken the bronze.

Wikipedia says they've been skating together since 1997.

They were lovely.

Wikipedia says they've been skating together since 1997.

They were lovely.

Both pairs have been skating together since they were young. Davis and White since they were 12 and the other two since he was 9 and she was 7. They have the same coach and train at the same center and they are best friends. Fabulous stories.

Yes, I was not terribly impressed with the Russians that took the bronze. Their proformance was not as complex and difficult and they had to use props to achieve it. Theie costumes were also odd, their piece violent and they just didn't connect with the audience. I was much more impressed with the other Russian pair and the other Americans and if I was judging one of those two would have taken the bronze.

Yeah, what was up with that? It appeared that they were interpreting some sort of abusive, love-hate relationship? I thought the 4th place Americans, with their positive theme and non-rope-aided moves were more deserving of a score higher than the Russians. But after Plushenko's pouting last week, maybe the judges were trying to accommodate the Russians. I am impressed by the Russian skaters' abilities, but they seem to have brought less than championship attitudes to the ice rink this year (JMO, of course).

The Canadian couple was just beautiful, in their skating and their countenances. I heard one of the commentators say that they had been paired up at age 7 & 9. I loved watching them enthusiastically sing the Canadian national anthem. What a great moment it must have been to be a Canadian spectator at the arena last night!

I was pooped out by 9:45 last night (mountain time) so I missed the entire final group. :crying: I did quickly go online before bed and found out who had won. I was very happy for all the top finishers! I watched the recaps this morning on the Today Show and hope to watch the actual performances online sometime today. The interviews this morning definitely showed the gracious nature of all of the winners, as well as the 4th place US team (although they did seem a bit disappointed - to be expected!)

:rant:

I KNOW this is an old complaint, but I'm just so tired of NBC tape delaying coverage for maximum viewership -- and the switching back and forth between sports -- wow, we got to see the entire last THIRTY SECONDS of the USA vs. Canada hockey game. Arghhhh! :banghead: And I know they'll do it again tonight with the Ladies FS Short Program: they'll show one or two low-ranked skaters of some interest, and then start the main coverage at 10:00 pm. And all of the little girls who have been BEGGING to watch FS will be either 1) up WAY past their bedtimes or 2) not allowed to stay up.

And all of the little girls who have been BEGGING to watch FS will be either 1) up WAY past their bedtimes or 2) not allowed to stay up.

I vote for this one. With lotsa popcorn. And pancakes for breakfast tomorrow after they wake up late. Olympic figure skating is rare!

I KNOW this is an old complaint, but I'm just so tired of NBC tape delaying coverage for maximum viewership -- and the switching back and forth between sports -- wow, we got to see the entire last THIRTY SECONDS of the USA vs. Canada hockey game. Arghhhh! :banghead: :rant:

The consolation: you could have watched every agonizing minute of men's and women's curling.

Suddenly my youngest two want to take up ice skating again. Unfortunately, our local rink closed and the next nearest two are both about an hour away provided travel is not terrible. However, they are also both terribly busy because they are trying to absorb the 1000 skaters who lost the rink here. Both of my dd have been through at least level four classes so they wouldn't be starting from stratch but they would have a ways to go to get to olympic quality and they are getting a bit older now so it would be harder. One has a little more talent than the other but this is such a rough decision. It take a lot of time, energy, moeny and commitment and I just don't know if they really want it that bad. I have a feeling that when we get to the women's figure skating it will be even worse.

I'm really surprised about the reports today saying that the Russians were upset with their 3rd place finish. Of course they would have liked to win gold but I really don't think that they were "cheated" out of gold. They truly feel that the judges weren't fair. I was almost moved to tears watching the gold and silver teams. On the other hand, I wasn't that impressed with the Russian team. They had a good performance but not that memorable.

:iagree: As I was watching the Russian pair, I thought they skated slowly, without power and the seemed a little wobbly. Their lifts did not have such a beautiful line. I held out hope that Belbin and Agosto had a hope of winning the bronze based upon comparing the two performances. I really felt that Tanith and Ben should have received the bronze. But then, I remembered ... this is ice-dancing. It wouldn't do to leave the Russians off the podium. Boy, those Russians are a bunch of sore losers, aren't they.