Menu

Brag alert!!!!!

My 13 yo ds just got done taking his community college tests. He placed in to pre-calculus!!!! He also tested out of ALL remedial english. His advisor said that he is required to start with freshman english, but that he thinks it'll be way too easy for him!!! English is his weakest subject! He was told that they just don't usually see test scores as high as his were.

I can't tell you how much I needed to hear this. I've really been doubting my ability to homeschool through high school and whether I've done enough with him. Guess we're fine!!

Brag over!

:party:Way to go mom (and your ds, of course)! Now, please share your secret!

LOL! I wish I had a secret to share! We just stuck with it and did the work. I really credit R&S grammar for his high english score though!!

That's AWESOME! :hurray:

Thanks!

Yay!!! My 13yr old is going to be taking the same tests soon.

Good luck!!!

:hurray:

That's great! It is always good to receive affirmation.

:cheers2: to both you and your son. I bet he's glad all of the hard work has paid off.

Thanks. Yes, he is SOOO happy! He's got this silly grin on his face. We keep calling him "college boy!"

WAY TO GO!!!!!! :party:

Thanks!

Congrats to you both!:party:

Thanks!!

Congratulations!

I have Qs though...is he a "senior" in HS? Did he take 4 years to finish HS? When did you start school for him (and have you always hsed?)? I ask b/c my children will finish early if they continue as they are and I'm not sure how it will work out. They could "stall" or struggle in grades to come and end up graduating when they are 18 but right now, we are looking at 15ish...

Well...if freshman Eng will be too easy & he tests well, could he clep out?

I don't know! We had him take the tests because we wanted him to take a math class this summer. They required he take all the tests even though we just wanted one class. So, he won't be taking writing/english at the CC for at least another year.

Our plan right now is math this summer (we'll have him start with college algebra instead of precalc!). He'll start a foreign language in the fall. Then, add science in the spring. Then, we'll re-evaluate!

Congratulations!

I have Qs though...is he a "senior" in HS? Did he take 4 years to finish HS? When did you start school for him (and have you always hsed?)? I ask b/c my children will finish early if they continue as they are and I'm not sure how it will work out. They could "stall" or struggle in grades to come and end up graduating when they are 18 but right now, we are looking at 15ish...

Thanks!

Sam is in 8th grade. He does mostly 8th grade work. He is WAY ahead in math and science. I felt that he needed another teacher for those subjects in high school. Our local public school wasn't able/willing to work with us. So, we had him test at the CC to see how he'd do. So, even though he's not a college freshman, they let him in.

Yes, we've always homeschooled. Sam started out going very fast. I didn't want him to finish high school before 18. I did stall him a bit in math. He wants to be an engineer and I thought that going deeper into the subject was better for him than pushing ahead so quickly. I can't hold him back in science though! He reads everything he can get his hands on.

Oh - and he did so well on the english section on that test having just finished R&S 6!! I give that program ALL the credit.