Menu

passport needed for US to Canada travel?

We were just there (Niagra Falls) over Thanksgiving. There are new rules that went in to effect this past summer, and the answer depends on how old you are and how you arrive at the border.

Children under a certain age (can't remember if it is 16 or 18) who arrive via car do not need passports. The state dept. website provides a list of documents kids can use in lieu of a passport. Everyone arriving by plane, regardless of age, will need a passport. I don't remember the rules for arrivals via water:).

My internationally adopted kids got in to Canada (and back in to the US) with their original U.S. certificates of citizenship. My niece (born in the USA) crossed with her raised-seal birth certificate.

When we went in January we got Passport Cards. They are different from actual Passports because they can only be used for ground and water travel in the Western Hemisphere, but they were cheaper and last for 10 years. We got all of our info and our pictures taken at our local Post Office.

We got Passport Cards as well. It was definitely cheaper. :001_smile: Our kids go through on certified birth certificates (15 and under can use a b.c.). I printed out the paperwork online and got my photo done at Walgreens. Very easy. Have fun!

I'm not sure if this is relevent to US to Canada travel, but as Canadians, we got nexxus cards. Apparently both customs like them better because you have to be approved by both gov'ts. We only live 1/2 hour from the border, so the appointment to get them wasn't a big deal. If we were farther from the border it might be more awkward.

They were alot cheaper than passports, but of course they're only good for the Can/US borders. They can also be used for air travel.

We are looking at going to Canada this summer. Do we need passports?

YES! When dh and I lived in MI, we would jump over to Canada a few times. Not nearly enough, it's a beautiful country where we visited and it was fascinating! We did not need passports then....20 years ago.

BUT, times have changed and you need them now. ENJOY! Where are you going?

YES! When dh and I lived in MI, we would jump over to Canada a few times. Not nearly enough, it's a beautiful country where we visited and it was fascinating! We did not need passports then....20 years ago.

Lol! The last time we went (I'm in WI), I forgot the kids' birth certificates and when we were on the way back to WI, we were detained while they questioned the kids. It was hilarious! They were trying to determine if we had stolen them from Canada. :lol:

However, gone are the days of birth certs and kid questioning. You must have a passport now. At least to get home, anyway.

DH wants to attend a music camp up there. (he plays double bass) This is going to be a l-o-n-g trip. We'll probably be gone about 4 weeks, which just boggles my mind. It will take us 4-5 days just to get there! I've never been to the northwest US, much less Canada, so I'm very excited about it. Plus, a childhood friend (my BFF back in the day!) lives in Washington. The kids and I are going to visit with her family for awhile while DH heads up to Canada. We'll join him at some point.

Don't delay in applying for the passports....I'm sure the backlog is better now, but last summer it was taking 2+ MONTHS to get it issued as people prepared for the changes in law (which were then delayed because of the backlog, but have now taken effect). Since it's good for 10 years applying a few months before you plan to leave really isn't wasting some of it's use, especially if the backlog is still there!

Have a wonderful time!

When I renewed my passport last year I opted to get *both* a passport and a passcard. I require a passport for overseas travel, but the passcard seemed like a nice thing to keep in my wallet in case I ever needed to run up to Canada or down to Mexico for something and didn't have my passport with me.

Interestingly, the passports and the passcards both now have RFID tags in them. From reading the FAQs on the government websites, there is no personally-identifiable information on the RFID, just some sort of an identifier that can be used on a secure website to find that information. The passcard comes in a little sleeve that is suppose to shield the radio waves to make it harder to read. I suppose this is not nearly as bad as our credit cards which have RFID tags and apparently will spit out our card numbers to any nearby reader. :tongue_smilie:

I'm not sure if this is relevent to US to Canada travel, but as Canadians, we got nexxus cards. Apparently both customs like them better because you have to be approved by both gov'ts. We only live 1/2 hour from the border, so the appointment to get them wasn't a big deal. If we were farther from the border it might be more awkward.

They were alot cheaper than passports, but of course they're only good for the Can/US borders. They can also be used for air travel.

Waving from Buffalo!

When we went in January we got Passport Cards. They are different from actual Passports because they can only be used for ground and water travel in the Western Hemisphere, but they were cheaper and last for 10 years. We got all of our info and our pictures taken at our local Post Office.

I recommend this if you are traveling by car. It is MUCH cheaper that a passport and you can use them on cruises.