Menu

$499 iPad - Who wants one?

No they won't.

They'll try, but the products will go the way of the Zune.

For the record, I love Apple and loathe Micro$oft... but, as difficult as it is, I have to admit that the new Zune HD is more than worthy enough to be considered as an alternative to the latest generation iPods... and it's selling well. I feel dirty, and I'm going to shower now.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone consider this a Kindle-killer?

Nope. Not one bit. Someone suggested to me to hold off on getting a Kindle and get this. The thing is, I don't want a lit screen. I got the new DX with international wireless. I love it. It is as easy on my eyes as a book. The ipad would not be any better than a monitor. Also, I get wireless for free, all around the world. That is not so with the ipad.

For instance, can you download things onto it, run something akin to Microsoft Office, etc?

It will run iWorks with touchscreen user interface, so you get fully functioning Pages for word processing, Numbers for spreadsheet, and Keynote for presentations.

They'll also have a special keyboard dock for serious typing. (not included with iPad)

If it can't replace my laptop, and it can't replace my iPhone, then I don't really see what its purpose could serve for me. I mean, really, when would I need to pull out a gigantic iTouch? It's not portable enough to slip into my pocket, my jacket, or my purse. I wouldn't be able to use it for things I use my laptop for such as editing photos, digital scrapbooking, etc.

I'm usually all about new technology, but this iPad kind of has me stumped about what in the world it could be used for.

:iagree: and the book selection is not nearly what amazon offers for my kindle!

I can see how it wouldn't replace a main computer for many people but I can't think of anything I do on a computer that the iPad can't do. It has some really amazing possibilities actually.

Well, I definitely wouldn't want to replace my iMac, EVER! But, what *used* to be MY computer has gradually been taken over by my dear, sweet husband. Almost any time I want to get on and do my internet stuff, he's sitting here. He has a laptop (Win. XP), but he prefers my Mac (who can blame him, really).

Anyway, I have long thought it would be nice to be able to curl up in my big chair in my room, and do all my surfing, and e-mailing, and browsing. I couldn't justify buying an iBook, though. With the iPad, I could do all that, plus play games if I wanted, and even work on Pages and Numbers documents! And, I can read books if I want (though I have a stack of *real* books that I never seem to get through). Best thing is, I wouldn't have to wear reading glasses to use it (like I do my iPhone).

Owning an iPad would be awesome, and would suit me fine.

If I could just have this thing and not still need my laptop, I'd be sold.

ITA. Off to look at iWork, though...

ETA that it looks pretty good, and you can save/email the files as Word documents. If I bought the keyboard dock, I think this potentially *could* replace a laptop. Does anyone have any experience with iWork?

Edited by Saille

It will run iWorks with touchscreen user interface, so you get fully functioning Pages for word processing, Numbers for spreadsheet, and Keynote for presentations.

They'll also have a special keyboard dock for serious typing. (not included with iPad)

Well, I wasn't at all interested until I read this. If I can use it as a laptop, I might be interested. I think it's screen is too TV-like to make it a good reader for me, but it looks like it would make a nice, portable laptop. I'll have to look into data backup options. Of course, if the only way to back it up is to have another computer to connect it to, them my interest level is back to zero. :glare:

Well, I wasn't at all interested until I read this. If I can use it as a laptop, I might be interested. I think it's screen is too TV-like to make it a good reader for me, but it looks like it would make a nice, portable laptop. I'll have to look into data backup options. Of course, if the only way to back it up is to have another computer to connect it to, them my interest level is back to zero. :glare:

Here's a video of Steve Jobs' press release (it's an hour long, but very informative.) Also linked on this page is an informative video that gives the highlights (only a few minutes long).

http://www.apple.com/ipad/?cid=CDM-US-DM-P0009044&Email_PageName=P0009044-&Email_OID=dfd5b430bc4db2c2836d0227ad9ac0c4&cp=em-P0009044-&sr=em

It's not a computer. It only interfaces with a 30 pin connector, like an iPod. You would still need a computer to interface with a printer or back it up.

A friend of mine who works at Apple commented that typing repeatedly on a hard surface keyboard (with no springy give) is a bad form of impact for the fingers and may lead to de-sensitization of the fingertips long term. Let's hope my dentist and surgeon stay away!!

Anyway, the iPad has no phone and you still have to Skype it. Nah, 1st gen iPad not for me

Here's a video of Steve Jobs' press release (it's an hour long, but very informative.) Also linked on this page is an informative video that gives the highlights (only a few minutes long).

http://www.apple.com/ipad/?cid=CDM-US-DM-P0009044&Email_PageName=P0009044-&Email_OID=dfd5b430bc4db2c2836d0227ad9ac0c4&cp=em-P0009044-&sr=em

Thanks for the video! I'll check that out when I have a chance!
It's not a computer. It only interfaces with a 30 pin connector, like an iPod. You would still need a computer to interface with a printer or back it up.
Good point on printing! I hadn't thought of that. So I looked in the Android Market and there are applications for printing directly from Android. Can I assume there are similar applications available in the App Store?

Regarding backing up, this is one reason I am leaning toward Android. All the Google stuff is automatically backed up to the web. We have network-attached storage here for any other personal data we may need to back up. There are several very good file managers available for Android, so I don't see an issue there. We are rapidly moving away from Microsoft Office applications toward Google Docs, mainly because it makes sharing information much easier. It's just too much of a hassle to deal with sharing the files, keeping track of versions, etc.

We are about to ditch our current laptop, and I'm still thinking another laptop will not be taking its spot...

Well, my husband and I own a small marketing software company. Occasionally he'll also be involved with personally marketing someone's product. Two weeks ago a guy was coming out with a product he thought would be great so he participated. The guy had a prize built into production and it is the big iPad! I'm so excited!

I have and love a Kindle but don't really see much competition between the two for me. What I love about my Kindle is it's size and WhisperNet. The iPad will be great because I am strictly an Internet/email girl and I love small compact things while I'm running around. Plus I love a new gadget and it's an Apple on top of that! LOL

What I wish for is an ap that uses google maps but gives turn by turn directions. This way I could get rid of my navigation system with the interface from hell.
Google maps now has turn-by-turn directions. I'm guessing the one on the iPad will have this built in. You will need to get the 3G version of the iPad to have GPS included. (US$130.00 more)

It doesn't have Adobe Flash... so I don't think it would make a very complete laptop replacement. That's a pretty big missing piece.

Yeah, the impression I got was that you would use the cable to back up/sync with a home computer. I assume it will also be able to sync with the MobileMe cloud, like the iPhone and iPod Touch. MobileMe has a yearly fee, though.

Apple also sells the Time Capsule, which is used for backups.

There is always Google's Cloud data storage. I don't know how well the iWork products work with Google Docs, though.

:iagree: and the book selection is not nearly what amazon offers for my kindle!

At this point in time, I haven't heard anything specific about whether or not the iPad can use the Kindle app...

I can read all my Kindle books on either the Kindle itself or the iPod Touch. I would be miffed for sure if I couldn't access my Kindle library on the iPad as well.

Since it has wi-fi and runs iworks, then I bet there is a way to print for people who have their printers already hooked up to a wireless router.

Check this video made THREE years ago...

The iPad is not what you think it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK2drIylnDw

(warning: slightly in bad taste, but not too much)

Yeah, I posted that link to this thread yesterday and didn't get any response...I think everyone here is die-hard Apple fans and don't really care that Apple chose a stupid name for their new device! :D

Yeah, I posted that link to this thread yesterday and didn't get any response...I think everyone here is die-hard Apple fans and don't really care that Apple chose a stupid name for their new device! :D

OH, I watched it when you posted it, my eldest really thought it was hilarious. :D

Here is a link to a not so positive review. I have a $10 prepaid cell phone and my Dell laptop. So I clearly don't have much to add to the conversation, lol, but saw this on my daily blog hop and thought I'd share it.

The Case Against the iPad

Thanks for the link!

Here's my take:

Actually, Amy, I think YOU are almost the perfect target for this product. I think this product should fit many SAH moms quite well. As an example, please read what dwkilburn1 wrote:

I want one!!! I cannot justify spending $100/month on an iphone with the data plan, but $15 a month on the data plan for the ipad along with my pay as I go phone (not a big cell user) would be perfect. There are apps for word that can be sent to my printer. Win, win for me!
To me, Steve Jobs has again done a brilliant job of looking at which markets are underserved by Apple's current products and finding solutions that will address that market. In your case, the iPad is targeted to replace your Dell laptop, not your cell phone.

Let's look at what Timothy Lee says:

But I have two problems with the device: first, I don’t understand who this product is marketed to.
To me, that statement is equivalent to saying "I haven't really thought about how this product might be used." Or perhaps "I don't consider the needs of women when I look at new technology." Why do I say it is targeted at SAH moms and women? Look at the size of the thing! Tell me that's not designed to fit into a purse or a duffle. How many purses and duffles around the world do you think there are that could accommodate the iPad? Put it in the nice portfolio which they sell to protect it from scratches and it will easily travel with women wherever they go. Trust me, it's likely a LOT of the moms you hang out with will have something like this in their purses within the next couple of years.

The other obvious uses are as a "living room computer" as one of my co-workers says or as a "kitchen computer" as a PP here said. I think it would make a nice "bedroom computer," too. Good for reading or web browsing when your spouse has gone to sleep.

And second, I’m disappointed that Apple has decided to adopt the iPhone’s locked-down platform strategy.
I'm in full agreement here, as discussed previously. That's the main reason I'm considering waiting for an Android version of the iPad. But if this thing works well with gMail, then I could see MomsintheGarden trading in her Android phone for a standard phone and getting an iPad instead. Let's face it, the screen on an iPhone or an Android phone is pretty small for many people over 40 years to read easily. It's serviceable, but I would prefer a larger screen. Edited by RegGuheert

Oh, I checked first, and didn't see you posted it! I'm sorry I duplicated it. I tried not to, and failed. :-(

Dh and I discussed what a terrible name it is but he pointed out that iPod is a terrible name too

iPad is way worse as a name than iPod. As soon as I heard the name I thought menstrual cycle. Do I really want to buy a product that makes me think of that time of the month every single time I see it? Nope. Really. iPod is a silly name but does not have negative connotations to it. iPad does.

Thanks for the link!

Here's my take:

Actually, Amy, I think YOU are almost the perfect target for this product. I think this product should fit many SAH moms quite well. As an example, please read what dwkilburn1 wrote:To me, Steve Jobs has again done a brilliant job of looking at which markets are underserved by Apple's current products and finding solutions that will address that market. In your case, the iPad is targeted to replace your Dell laptop, not your cell phone.

Let's look at what Timothy Lee says:

To me, that statement is equivalent to saying "I haven't really thought about how this product might be used." Or perhaps "I don't consider the needs of women when I look at new technology." Why do I say it is targeted at SAH moms and women? Look at the size of the thing! Tell me that's not designed to fit into a purse or a duffle. How many purses and duffles around the world do you think there are that could accommodate the iPad? Put it in the nice portfolio which they sell to protect it from scratches and it will easily travel with women wherever they go. Trust me, it's likely a LOT of the moms you hang out with will have something like this in their purses within the next couple of years.

The other obvious uses are as a "living room computer" as one of my co-workers says or as a "kitchen computer" as a PP here said. I think it would make a nice "bedroom computer," too. Good for reading or web browsing when your spouse has gone to sleep.

I'm in full agreement here, as discussed previously. That's the main reason I'm considering waiting for an Android version of the iPad. But if this thing works well with gMail, then I could see MomsintheGarden trading in her Android phone for a standard phone and getting an iPad instead. Let's face it, the screen on an iPhone or an Android phone is pretty small for many people over 40 years to read easily. It's serviceable, but I would prefer a larger screen.

Many excellent points! :D

It's interesting that he says he doesn't see a market for the iPad. I see a ton of places where it would be the best thing. I think that as it comes into use people will go "oh, I never thought of using it that way....."

My older ds wanted a Kindle the minute he saw mine! Not that he's a big reader but for his school TEXTBOOKS! His high school textbooks weigh a ton; I bought him a double set for several of his books so he doesn't have to carry so much weigh everyday and he's a big, strong young man.

The ipad is PERFECT for high school and college textbooks!

And second, I’m disappointed that Apple has decided to adopt the iPhone’s locked-down platform strategy.
I'm in full agreement here, as discussed previously. That's the main reason I'm considering waiting for an Android version of the iPad. But if this thing works well with gMail, then I could see MomsintheGarden trading in her Android phone for a standard phone and getting an iPad instead. Let's face it, the screen on an iPhone or an Android phone is pretty small for many people over 40 years to read easily. It's serviceable, but I would prefer a larger screen.Thinking about this further, while I'm in full agreement on the point, I come to completely the opposite conclusion than the author. Here are a couple more quotes:
My second problem with the iPad is more fundamental: The iPad appears to be Steve Jobs’s attempt to roll back the multi-decade trend toward more open computing platforms. Jobs’s vision of the future is one that revolves around a series of proprietary “stores” — for music, movies, books, and so forth — controlled by Apple. And rather than running the applications of our choice, he wants to limit users to running Apple-approved software from the Apple “app store.”
On the other hand, if the iPad is to succeed, someone is going to have to come up with a “killer app” for it. There’s a real risk that potential developers will be dissuaded by Apple’s capricious and irritating approval process.
I'm a big fan of the concept of the "killer app" that Bob Cringely made so famous. But there are already about 150,000 apps for the iPad! Any given user only needs to find at least ONE "killer app" to be happy with the product. iBooks looks to be pretty killer. So do the iWorks apps for iPad. What's your favorite? I'm sure there is something for everyone.

The author seems to imply that because of the business model, Apple will not succeed long-term. Interestingly, he does this without once stating the obvious fact that Google's Android strategy is the main competition that Apple faces in this space. But what is the difference between the strategies of Apple and of Google?

In a nutshell:

Apple's strategy is to build a platform where the intellectual property (IP) of the developer is paramount, thereby minimizing the risk that IP will be stolen or lost and thereby maximizing the profit potential of each sale to a customer. In addition, Apple leverages their incredible design abilities to build a sexy hardware and software platform that will appeal broadly to the users. The idea is that any content developer for the iPhone (and now iPad) platform KNOWs that they can put their product onto this platform and be paid for each unit sold.

Google's strategy is to build a platform where the wants and desires of the USER come first: They appeal to the ideals of open software (Android is an open-source OS) and free access to content (Google Books, etc). They also are the leaders in cloud-based computing (Google Docs, gMail, etc.) The appeal to developers is that they are developing what the masses want, so they should be able to get a larger market share to make money. There is *some* protection for their IP, but not nearly as much as Apple provides. Android devices only provide about 250 MB of storage for programs in the "locked-down" portion of the device. All other information has to be stored in removable storage of some sorts. Contrast that with the 64 GB of "locked-down" storage available in the iPad. In the iPad, access to ALL content is controlled. In Android, only access to the software and some critical data is fully controlled. If you want to put a movie or a song on Android, it goes on the removable storage.

So what's my conclusion: I think both platforms will succeed. I intend to "vote with my dollars" for the Android solutions, but no way would I vote against Apple in this case. They have *proven* that their business model works. It's really up to Google to prove that theirs can also succeed.

Funny, isn't it? One one hand, you have an Apple-fan blogger betting against the iPad and then you have Reg, who returned the only Apple product he ever bought for a refund, each placing the opposite bets you might expect on this horse race.

FWIW, the competition between Amazon's Kindle and Barnes & Noble's Nook can be summed up in much the same way if you equate Kindle=iPhone (iPad) and Nook=Android (Nook runs Android OS).

So, choose your poison. All of the above products require us to give up something (money, personal information, IP, etc.) to get something (easy access to everything everywhere). Do they all end up at the same place? Probably. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by RegGuheert

I'll be curious to know what the reading experience is like vs a Kindle/Nook/Sony Reader.
DH uses his constantly, and I use it occasionally (currently to read a friend's novel). While I miss the tactile experience I have with a "real" book, there is little difference in readability. If anything the reader has an advantage when considering something like the Sharon Kay Penman novels, some of which had me feeling like I was reading microfiche. And while the screen resolution is fantastic and the type looks like type, I think the lack of back lighting is just as important a factor in the experience insofar as it reduces eye strain.

DH uses his constantly, and I use it occasionally (currently to read a friend's novel). While I miss the tactile experience I have with a "real" book, there is little difference in readability. If anything the reader has an advantage when considering something like the Sharon Kay Penman novels, some of which had me feeling like I was reading microfiche. And while the screen resolution is fantastic and the type looks like type, I think the lack of back lighting is just as important a factor in the experience insofar as it reduces eye strain.

:iagree:

My Kindle is wonderful to read and not at all like staring at an led screen for hours. Zero eye strain for me with my Kindle and my textbooks this semester are all on my Kindle so I'm staring at it for hours every day. Kindle textbooks are much cheaper than paper textbooks, so it'll pay for itself in a couple semesters.

I'll be curious to know what the reading experience is like vs a Kindle/Nook/Sony Reader.
My guess: The iPad will be worse for reading in the light and better for reading in the dark.
I also wonder, will the iPad handle pdfs? I'm very interested in OOP books via Google Books, but are these supported???
Good questions. Although it doesn't answer your question exactly, one thing I found interesting from the the link Amy provided above was:
@moe – apple using the epub format for their books, today pre-ipad there is one consistent drm format for epub books. its a standard set by adobe, known as ADEPT or adobe digital editions.

a epub book you buy from sony works on a b&n nook, a epub book you buy from borders works on a sony reader.

b&n is using a newer slightly different format for their books, which is being added to the older devices through a firmware update. once that firmware update is in place every device will be able to read b&n epub files.

apple has gone off and created their own form of drm that works with nothing else.

everyone in the ebook market with the exception of amazon and apple have decided on a interoperable standard.

Do you have a Sony Reader? I have only cursory experience with the "e-ink" readers, but I like the idea. And if the contrast and refresh rate of page loading improves, they will only look like better and better options for reading books. Add color and Wow!

The extra capabilities of the iPad do interest me, but I'm uncertain how it will compare as an e-book? Or if I could use it for "Google books"?

Bill

FYI, here's a pro-iPad article.

I agree with the article.

I wanted a smartphone but didn't want to pay the extra $30/mo upgrade on EACH phone. We passed on the Verizon Motorola Droid and kept our cheap phones. The ipad will give us what we need - Google maps, email, web browing, e-reader, gaming and more on a portable platform that is MORE usable for my family (combined use) than a smartphone.

Our Kindle2, ipods/touch, and Dell/Mac laptops will still be heavily used at our home when we purchase an ipad 3G. They each have their use and place.

I also wonder, will the iPad handle pdfs? I'm very interested in OOP books via Google Books, but are these supported???

You can actually do this now on the iphone, my dh downloaded a pdf app and has downloaded several public domain books. I think he's currently reading Seawolf this way, never mind that we own the actual book. :tongue_smilie:

I have the sony ereader and I think the ereader is better because you do *not* get the eyestrain that you get with a backlit screen. However, I can't read it in a dark car while hubby is driving (as an example).

I agree that no multitasking is a bummer and the no flash is an issue. Aside from that? I think it would be perfect to use as an on-the-go computer. It's large size would enable me to do many things that my iphone is capable of but I can't really see well enough. I probably won't buy a first generation one, like someone else said, I like for some of the bugs to get worked out and features added before I splurge.

I have the sony ereader and I think the ereader is better because you do *not* get the eyestrain that you get with a backlit screen. However, I can't read it in a dark car while hubby is driving (as an example).
I wish LightWedge made a clip-on for the Sony Reader... not that I can read in the car (motion sick :( ), but it would be nice for bed.