Menu

s/o anyone always live in the same city?

After reading the posts in the 'How many countries/states have you lived in?' post, I'm wondering if anyone is still near the place they grew up. I noticed two people in that post who had only been in one state. IRL I can only think of one person that I know has always lived in the same place (except when she went away to college) and a few people who have lived in the same county their entire adult lives. Does anyone stay put anymore?

We have. We may not for much longer though, since my DH cannot find another job here and his company keeps doing layoffs.

Out of my graduating class, I would say at least 80% leave, and only a few of those ever come back to stay. I live in a small, blue collar town though. But even in my larger area, most of my friends aren't from here.

I was born and spent the first 7 years of my life in Northern Virginia. After that, we moved here. I live about 10 minutes from the house I grew up in (from 8 on). We lived in MD for about six months, and in various hotels for a year (storm damage to our house).

So, yes, I have pretty much always lived in the same place.

i've lived in the same state all my life. I've lived in the same town since I was 6 months old. It's a small farming community, and I thought I would likely never find a husband since I even stayed here and commuted to a nearby college. Our county if full of "good ole boys". Luckily, my now-husband's family moved here when I was in college and they are a farming family. I met him at my part-time job (in a agricultural business no doubt).

i've lived in the same state all my life. I've lived in the same town since I was 6 months old. It's a small farming community, and I thought I would likely never find a husband since I even stayed here and commuted to a nearby college. Our county if full of "good ole boys". Luckily, my now-husband's family moved here when I was in college and they are a farming family. I met him at my part-time job (in a agricultural business no doubt).

You must live in my town :001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

I moved here three years ago.

Me!

I was born and raised on one side of town....lived there till I was 10 years old. Then we moved to the neighborhood that I currently still live in....on the other side of town from where I was born. I've lived here since I was ten years old. My parents live just on the other street (where I lived from 10 - 19 years old). Then I married my DH and we moved onto another street in this neighborhood. A few years later, with a growing family, we moved to our current house....in the same neighborhood. So I've lived a total of two different areas, both in the same town. And three houses in this same neighborhood.:D

We're going to be looking for another house soon - our forever home where we will live and grow old together. But it will still be in this town.

I have lived within ten minutes of my "birth town" all my life. (We moved to the next town over 10 years ago.) I have only ever lived in these two towns. Interestingly, my mother's family has lived in the same town almost forever. My grandmother did a geneaology paper and found her first ancestors to come over from England, before the American Revolution. Their original homestead was within a mile of her current home. Many of their descendants stayed in the area right on down to today (obviously). Apparently, there may be a genetic factor in staying where you are planted!:D

I am not sure if I am proud or depressed by all this...:tongue_smilie:

I have lived in the same county for my entire life and can't imagine living anywhere else. Even if we were to win millions of dollars in the lottery we would stay here, we would just buy ourselves a vacation home somewhere warm so we could escape the coldest, snowiest months of the year.

ETA~ I have traveled through most of the states from NY to Florida and the only ones that could entice me to leave home are NC and VA. I've never been west of the Mississippi, though, so maybe I'm missing somewhere that I would really love.

Me!

We're going to be looking for another house soon - our forever home where we will live and grow old together. But it will still be in this town.

LOL, you can have this town!

It's not a bad place, I've just got itchy feet. I want to learn somewhere new and I really, really want SNOW! Even if only for a year or two. And fall, sigh, I would love fall. LOL

I lived on the same *block* for all of my adult life, except for a short stint in an apartment, until I met my husband.

We lived in his house for a short time...and then moved back to my block, lol. (Where my parents and grandparents live).

He was in the military for 27 years, and during the time that he was in, during *our* marriage, we've lived elsewhere (another state, another *continent*)...but when the time came to settle down, we moved back here.

Twenty minutes from the city where I grew up, and twenty minutes in the other direction from the small town where my family was from, and visited on weekends.

Sometimes there really is no place like home.

("Home" having relatives that you have good relationships with, and a decent cost of living probably makes a difference, though. ;-)

Well, I have to say that I'm a little bit envious of you all. Maybe it's because we're able (oops, meant 'about' to move again) to move again. I don't even have a 'home' to go back to. My parents moved when I was in college. My brother moved across the country after college. So even when I go to visit my parents, I'm not going 'home' to the place I grew up. I've only been back there twice since I graduated college. I don't think I'd want to live there again because it's changed so much since I lived there. It's a suburb of NYC and has become very upper-middle-class trendy. But I do love the idea of living somewhere with old friends and family nearby.

Edited by MeganP

Well, I have to say that I'm a little bit envious of you all. Maybe it's because we're able to move again. I don't even have a 'home' to go back to. My parents moved when I was in college. My brother moved across the country after college. So even when I go to visit my parents, I'm not going 'home' to the place I grew up. I've only been back there twice since I graduated college. I don't think I'd want to live there again because it's changed so much since I lived there. It's a suburb of NYC and has become very upper-middle-class trendy. But I do love the idea of living somewhere with old friends and family nearby.

ITA, and had almost an identical experience. Including that my high school hometown is a suburb of NYC!

It is rather. . . .strange. . . to not have a home to go back to. I actually consider Indiana "home" in a strange way, b/c my extended family has lived there forever, and we always visited 2x a year.

And now, with yet ANOTHER move on the horizon? I'm ok, but just longing to be around people who know me, really know me.

Sorry for hijacking.