Menu

Is Rightstart Maths worth it?

ummof3

Hi all

I've started with level B with ds6 and am on transition lessons with dd8 who will start at level c or d. However, with a preschooler and baby I'm finding its taking so much of my time. And is it me or do you have to read the instructions to the games a few times before getting it?

I'm also using FLL and WWE so all quite teacher intensive programmes. I don't mind If it means getting the three 'r's right. I've bought the whole elementary maths package and am reluctant letting it go so soon. It is suiting my bouncy boy but dd8 could be ok with an independent programme but she gets jealous when she sees me spending time with ds doing maths! I've also used Galore Park and she cried when I told her to do a page while I was doing something with the preschooler.

Any advice appreciated!

Tia

I've started with level B with ds6 and am on transition lessons with dd8 who will start at level c or d. However, with a preschooler and baby I'm finding its taking so much of my time. And is it me or do you have to read the instructions to the games a few times before getting it?

I'm also using FLL and WWE so all quite teacher intensive programmes. I don't mind If it means getting the three 'r's right. I've bought the whole elementary maths package and am reluctant letting it go so soon. It is suiting my bouncy boy but dd8 could be ok with an independent programme but she gets jealous when she sees me spending time with ds doing maths! I've also used Galore Park and she cried when I told her to do a page while I was doing something with the preschooler.

Any advice appreciated!

Tia

Hang in there! I'm very thrilled with the math education my kids are getting through RightStart. It is time consuming, but I feel very worth it. I also use FLL and WWE so I'm right there with you.

WWE can usually be done with both kids at the same time, even if they are in different levels. For example, start one kid on his copywork, and while he's working, do narration with the other. Or, dictate a sentence to one, then do narration with the other. I don't know about the other volumes, but WWE 1 and 2 can be used very easily at the same time.

Edited by Oak Knoll Mom

Yes, it's worth it.

I have one in RS B and one in RS C. It generally takes me between an hour and fifteen minutes and and hour and a half to do math with them. I consider it time well spent because I see the benefits of their excellent math foundation.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

I think it's worth it. BUt you need to be happy with it. I think at these ages, math is going to take your time. I do as the other poster suggested. I have one doing copywork while I do narration with the other. I have one in RS E, WWE3 and the other in RS C and WWE2. In addition, we have SWR which requires my time. We're also doing MCT which is teacher intensive. So I'm on call all day bouncing between the two. For the DD who cries when you ask her to independently w/ the sibling, perhaps after her independent work is done, you and she can snuggle and have a read aloud together or if she likes to paint, you can paint together.

I am finishing RS B with my 7yo (final test today!!) and am in RS A with my 5yo. It took me almost all of RS A the first time around to get into the swing of RS. Now that I see dd's math progress, I emphatically believe that RS is worth the time. I wouldn't expect math to not take my time at these ages, though.

For dd in RS B, I set a timer for 25 min. That's all we do every day. With my ds in RS A, I set a timer for 20 min, and that's all he does. We pick up the next day wherever we left off. We also do math while my 1yo naps. Schooling during the nap has been a HUGE stress reliever for all of us. My 3yo may hang around for a math lesson, but then he just plays with the manipulatives or writes on the white board.

HTH

Edited by 2squared

RS B is excellent, I strongly urge you to continue with that. C was just okay and I decided to switch to Singapore rather than continue on with D & E. I felt that D & E had about 1 year's worth of math dragged out over 2 years.

If you like the RS approach but find it too difficult to do multiple levels, I would encourage you to get the Activities for the AL Abacus book. That will help you incorporate the RS way of teaching into a more workbook-y curriculum like Singapore or Math Mammoth. Those 2 curricula are the most similar to RS since all 3 are based on the Asian way of teaching math.

Hi all

Any advice appreciated!

Tia

Tia,

The longer I use the program the more I love it. Right now my oldest is covering fractions and percents in level E, and I credit RS to how easy it is for her to understand. I especially love the way it shows the relationship between the two.

The best thing though is her attitude. She likes RS math, and is bummed that Geometry is the last level.

I use a ton of teacher intensive programs, so I feel your pain. :D

Heather

Sweet Pea doing level E

Pumpkin doing level D

Honey Dew doing level C

String Bean doing level B

I definitely think it's worth it, but you are right, it is very time intensive! We also limit how much time we spend. For ds in Level B, I spend only 15-20 min. 4 days a week, then we spend 10 minutes on a game. For dd in Level C, I spend 25 minutes, then we play a game for 10. This means we almost never finish a lesson in a day, but I believe some of the levels are designed to take over a year to finish.

Some of my kids used Singapore and were fine. Youngest has some real trouble with math concepts and needed much more explicit instruction than singapore gives. For him, RS has been wonderful. The truth is, many kids will learn and understand math with mediocre programs-they just "get it". Not every child needs the level of support and explanation RS provides.

She likes RS math, and is bummed that Geometry is the last level.

That's how Becca feels too! She told me she wants her math to go all the way to "level Z." :lol:

I've started reaping the rewards with RS recently - Becca is soaring with adding 4-digit numbers, so it's definitely worth it to me. I plan to start Sylvia on it about midway through her K year.

Is Right Start worth it? I ask myself that nearly every day ;). So far I've always answered yes, though. Like one of the PP, I've started setting the timer for 25 minutes with my six year old (doing RS B), because his attention span doesn't go much farther than that. What I'm really worried about is next year when I'm trying to do two kids at once. My oldest does Singapore and has always done fine with that, but RS works really well for my middle kid.

I completely LOVE it! It explains concepts so well! I do add Kumon workbooks for my son though because he's not nearly so mathy to help get the facts in him, but you could just use games, I find that a bit too time consuming at the level we are at. You understand the 'why' behind things and don't just memorize, but internalize. HTH!

I'm also using alot of teacher-intensive programs (FLL,WWE, AAS etc) so I feel your pain! :001_smile: But, I agree with the others, it IS worth it! For example, my son is in level C and they have been working on skip counting, and then this leads into multiplication. It has been SO painless! My friends all talk about drilling and drilling and nothing sinking in, and all I can think is that I'm so glad to have a curriculum he enjoys, and learns the concepts in a way that make sense! And his mental math amazes me...

However, juggling it with two kids is something I am worried about next year. Would love to hear how others manage this! :bigear:

Yep, worth it. My boys don't do anything on their own yet. My oldest is dyslexic so he still needs a lot of help reading/writing. I think every program I use is teacher intensive, FLL, WWE, RS math, AAS, phonics, SOTW, etc.

I work with my oldest in the morning when the baby is happiest to play. We ramp it up during nap time, and I work continue working with 9 yr old while 5 yr old does handwriting. Then after nap the 9yr old plays with the baby while I work with 5 yr old.

Then we do science or history together with the baby walking between and around our legs.

In the evenings after dinner both boys take turn reading out loud to me, and then I read aloud.

And is it me or do you have to read the instructions to the games a few times before getting it?

As much as I admire Dr Cotter (I do) and her educational methods, and her products (including the games, math cards, Al Abacus, the Abacus Activities book and the like), I find that her explanations and my ability to understand them are often not ideally matched.

So yes, I often find the instructions for the games (and the abacus activities) "chewy" and I often (usually) find myself reading them over and over again before the intended message penetrates. It's well-worth the "frustration" (all things considered) as the value is high once the meaning is eventually discerned but I wish I had a "translation" at times in language I could understand in one pass.

Bill

Yes!

We did the whole lot with ds in UK year 1 and really he has now covered all he needs for year 2 as well so this year (his year 2 year) we are just going over things. What I am saying is that it covers all you need for key stage 1 really really well. There were times when I thought that I'd never get through it all but other times we just whizzed through it. We finished well before the year end (May).

You can spend a few days just doing games, especially as you have a dd who could join him and it would help her too. If you are busy with other stuff just set them off with a game for half an hr and that is enough for the day. Also I did find that some stuff is a bit off the wall for instance I didn't do the cotter triangle stuff (I think that was what it was called) and often it took me a while to understand why I was doing something but just keep at it and you'll have a really good base to jump off.

Stephanie

Someone asked for suggestions about doing RS with multiple kids in multiple levels. How about staggering the days you do math with your kids? It might mean you have to do math on the weekend, but it sounds like people are only spending about 30 minutes on math, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. One kid could do math M, W, F, and Sat. The other kid could do math T, Th, Sat, and Sun.

Tara

Hi all

And is it me or do you have to read the instructions to the games a few times before getting it?

Tia

It is *not* just you, because it is me too! Makes me nuts.

After using RightStart B for a year, I decided to go back to Singapore. Singapore is straightforward and doesn't usually require massive amounts of teacher time/energy. I don't like Singapore 1A/1B though, and RightStart provided a great workaround so we could move into 2A (or maybe it was 2B, I can't remember now).

As much as I admire Dr Cotter (I do) and her educational methods, and her products (including the games, math cards, Al Abacus, the Abacus Activities book and the like), I find that her explanations and my ability to understand them are often not ideally matched.

So yes, I often find the instructions for the games (and the abacus activities) "chewy" and I often (usually) find myself reading them over and over again before the intended message penetrates. It's well-worth the "frustration" (all things considered) as the value is high once the meaning is eventually discerned but I wish I had a "translation" at times in language I could understand in one pass.

Bill

I have problems too.

As for 2 kids and 2 levels...I do math with the oldest in the morning while the other two play. Then I do math with my other ds while the oldest plays with baby.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to you all, and sorry for such a late response - I have ONLY just got internet at home :001_smile:

I guess my main concern is really with dd. She's Year 4 (third grade) and shouldn't really be on Level C but I thought it would be best to go through it as there are some things in it she hasn't done and some things she's forgotten. Sometimes it seems too easy and I feel that there isn't enough drill, but maybe that's just the way the programme is?

I feel better knowing i'm not the only one who doesn't always understand the instructions lol!

Stephanie - great to hear from you - what other programmes are you using?

Regards x

Only you can decide if it's worth it. It is a good program and people swear by it. But there are a lot of other good programs out there, too. For us, Right Start was not worth it. It was too scatterbrained (skipped randomly from subject to subject) and I never knew if a topic was supposed to be mastered by the end of the lesson or if we would be coming back to it again in a few days/weeks.

We are now using Math Mammoth and I see a lot of similarities in it to Right Start. Many of the concepts are taught in the same way. There are games and the abacus is used (at least in 1st grade). There is more practice built into the program because the math books are filled with worksheets, but each worksheet has two or more activities/approaches on it, so it develops a very good understanding of the concepts.

So if Right Start isn't working for you, don't feel guilty about trying something else. There are lots of other programs out there with lots of enthusiastic reviews. Shake the dust off your feet and move on.

There is so much to teach these wonderful kids. And there is only so much time in the day, and only so much of you to spread around. I am trying very hard to get "me" out of as many curricula as possible, without having the side effect of kids not learning. I don't want to do things like: read spelling words, hold the flash cards, point to the next problem on the worksheet, etc. These things take my valuable time that I would rather use spending time teaching math in a hands on way, playing reading games with my emergent reader, talking with a child before he begins to write, etc.

My only point being: find ways to spread yourself around the other subjects, and leave the math as a mom-taught subject. Or drop Right Start math if you feel it's too much and you need to spend time in other subjects more. You can't do everything. You have to pick and chose what is the MOST important thing you need to spend your valuable time on with your kids. For is it was dropping RS math and going back to Singapore. I love both programs, and both programs have their weaknesses and strengths, but I needed my time to be spent in writing and reading and spending more time with the little ones and not teaching math all day. Tough decision.

Thanks

WWE - Writing With Ease :)

Hmmmm, it doesn't help that i've bought the whole elementary programme does it? :tongue_smilie:

Maths is important to me. I hated maths in school, believe me it was my worse subject. But now I don't mind maths. I think I hated the way it was taught. So if Right Start gets results and my kids learn maths then i'll pursue it. I don't mind spending that time with them. I just wish I could get them to 'get on' with something whilst i'm feeding the baby etc. I do get them to do their handwriting or some copywork. I haven't started history or science *yet* but aim to - i'm happy if Maths and English done, that's important to me.

I do think the programme jumps around from topic to topic - why is that? Is that what makes it a spiral based programme rather than mastery? So you come back to a concept again later?

My younger dd is 4 so will be starting Right Start next year. I'm not sure if I can do 3 kids! Let's just wait and see. I'm drawn to Singapore as it's similar to the RS way so maybe that's an option.

Bill

That is my one complaint. The other day ds asked if we could try a new game so I looked for something we hadn't done yet that covered the concept I wanted to practice. But try as I might, I could not figure out the directions and I wasted a bit of time trying to figure it out before I finally told ds that I didn't understand the directions, so could we please do a game we'd tried before, and I would spend some time trying to understand the new game when it wasn't school time.

But I do love RS. I've just learned to look ahead and figure out new games ahead of time. I do wish the explanations were clearer, that's the one improvement I think Dr.Cotter could make.

My younger dd is 4 so will be starting Right Start next year. I'm not sure if I can do 3 kids! Let's just wait and see. I'm drawn to Singapore as it's similar to the RS way so maybe that's an option.

I've wondered if doing all the activities in the Singapore HIG would take about the same amount of time? Maybe someone can answer for us. I too have been going back and forth with Rightstart and will have 3 next year doing it. MUS is a popular one with big families, but I like the mental math in RS. Maybe someone will shed some light on this better.

BUMP! :D Melissa

I guess my main concern is really with dd. She's Year 4 (third grade) and shouldn't really be on Level C but I thought it would be best to go through it as there are some things in it she hasn't done and some things she's forgotten.

I don't think a 3rd grader who is in Level C is behind at all. When I compared what my oldest did in RS B & C with the CA state standards, she covered essentially everything in the 3rd grade standards with the exception of multiplying or dividing a multidigit number by a one digit number. That's why she was able to go into Singapore 3A, which is typically considered a 4th grade math program.

I guess my main concern is really with dd. She's Year 4 (third grade) and shouldn't really be on Level C but I thought it would be best to go through it as there are some things in it she hasn't done and some things she's forgotten. Sometimes it seems too easy and I feel that there isn't enough drill, but maybe that's just the way the programme is?

My 3rd grader is in C as well. I figure I'd rather have true mastery than worry about grade level and push him through before he has true understanding. I know what you mean where it seems too easy at times, but my son is the type who needs a lot of easy repetition, he feels much more confident and not frustrated. How does your dd feel about it?

See she enjoys the hands on fun approach. We were doing Galore Park prior to RS and she had started to get bored of having to pages of written work. RS isn't like that so she enjoys it. I feel we are mostly reviewing things she has already learnt, that's why I feel unsure about Level C. She's had a big break from Maths so is out of practice so i'm ok with it.

I don't always get a chance to check the next lesson and that doesn't help at all as I end up reading the instructions over and over again sometimes! BUT I must admit the games are really good.

Thanks

WWE - Writing With Ease :)

Hmmmm, it doesn't help that i've bought the whole elementary programme does it? :tongue_smilie:

Maths is important to me. I hated maths in school, believe me it was my worse subject. But now I don't mind maths. I think I hated the way it was taught. So if Right Start gets results and my kids learn maths then i'll pursue it. I don't mind spending that time with them. I just wish I could get them to 'get on' with something whilst i'm feeding the baby etc. I do get them to do their handwriting or some copywork. I haven't started history or science *yet* but aim to - i'm happy if Maths and English done, that's important to me.

I do think the programme jumps around from topic to topic - why is that? Is that what makes it a spiral based programme rather than mastery? So you come back to a concept again later?

How old are your children. The reason I ask is because I know with level A and B there is alot of overlap at the beginning. If any of your children are just one year apart, you can use the same level. For example I started my 4yo and 5yo on level A together. We are midway through B and it's working out well. The younger is actually catching on quicker than the older. At age 4/5 you are going to spend the time teaching the concept anyway. I say use RS as long as you can, then when it gets to be too much switch. Atleast you will have a good foundation.

I've wondered if doing all the activities in the Singapore HIG would take about the same amount of time? Maybe someone can answer for us. I too have been going back and forth with Rightstart and will have 3 next year doing it. MUS is a popular one with big families, but I like the mental math in RS. Maybe someone will shed some light on this better.

BUMP! :D Melissa

Your children are so close together. If you have not started you could have you ker and 1st together. With your child who is now in PreK you can wait until they are in K one that is younger will then be in preK. Start RSA with them both. Even if you Prek does not get it all..not to fear because the first 11 lessons I believe in RSB repeat. Hope this is making sense.

Here is one recommendation I received with using RS the switching to MUS It may help some.

As much as possible I take my kids ages 4-7 through Level B Right Start Math. Since I've done Level B before, I don't use the teacher's manual as much anymore and follow it "straight" like I do for SWR. I did follow it straight the first year, but now I use the learning and the concepts and how to present math that I learned from Level B RightStart and apply it in my teaching. RightStart Math is where I got my real education on how to teach early math. All my kids ages 4-7 play the RS math games with me and use the abacus. I've done Level B with all the youngers (didn't have RS Math with the two oldest) and the youngers are very strong in math. The games are great for teaching facts in a fun way and making it stick! I prefer the RS abacus to the blocks of MUS. (No biggie, but I think the abacus works quicker and show concepts better. ALTHOUGH the BLOCKS of MUS work better for OTHER concepts!!)

HOWEVER, I like the worksheet format and DVD's of MUS so along with RS math starting at Alpha or Beta (depending on the child), my kids do all the MUS-- but we pull out the abacus with MUS do to the work rather than the blocks. My 3rd son just LOVED the fraction (Epsilon) part of MUS and he is a whiz at fractions. The fraction overlays that come with MUS work great for this! He is better than me and anyone else in the family at fractions. (No one else has done Epsilon yet.) I have a boy who completed MUS Algebra I and is now doing MUS Geometry! We love it and this is the math that will go all the way up for us.

BUT, for the youngest introduction of math, I personally think RS Level B is superior to MUS Kindergarten or Alpha (which I did try out for early math, but didn't get as good of results as RS Math Level B). The RS math strategies at this level are stronger and more fun and stick more, in my opinion. If you can afford, Level B RS math, I would consider getting it and doing it all, then moving your child to Beta (2nd grade) MUS when you are done with RS Level B. No need to do Alpha really.... I just have my little girl doing it as she has done most of Level B RS and I am so busy teaching and running my business—and she really wasn't quite ready for Beta (2nd grade MUS).

Hope this helps a bit!

Britta

Here is my review of RS math and some other links:

Can Math be FUN? (How I taught 3 boys with Level B RS Math)

http://homeschoolblogger.com/MorningStarLearning/62713/

RightStart vs. Other Math Programs

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MorningStarLearning/64538/

Should I start with Level A or Level B RightStart Math?

http://homeschoolblogger.com/MorningStarLearning/63742/

Your children are so close together. If you have not started you could have you ker and 1st together. With your child who is now in PreK you can wait until they are in K one that is younger will then be in preK. Start RSA with them both. Even if you Prek does not get it all..not to fear because the first 11 lessons I believe in RSB repeat. Hope this is making sense.

Well, I did try them together last year a prek and K for RSA. It went well for a few lessons then one son zoomed off so I had to separate them. We are working through RS A and B now with my sons and next year will add my daughter with RS C (I think, maybe?). I wish I could put them together more often, they are very different learners, one picks up quick on memory things, while the other pays very close attention and gets the details right. It is hard to combine them for math and english. I do combine them for bible, history, science, art, etc. You posted some very good info on MUS. It will definitely give me something to think about. I do have to make that decision pretty soon! I like the idea of doing RS A & B, then switching to MUS. Maybe back up with Miquon (which we do around here also), Singapore, or Math Mammoth. I think one program is plenty, but I like to keep "worksheets" around for busy days or when we hit a wall. Thanks for your advice. Will roll it around my head now...!

:001_smile: Melissa