Menu

Now that I know

I will never again just stand back and wait for my child's reading struggles to just disappear with maturity. :glare: I now know that dyslexia is in the family, and waiting only delays my child getting the help he needs at a time when it is easier to give it. Had I started the reading technique he needed earlier, he wouldn't be a 9 yr old struggling as much as he does.

The next person who says to me, "Oh, some kids just need more time for it to click" I will scream.

Oh, also don't say to me that all that is needed for kids to learn to read is to have books readily available and a little reading corner set up. Unless your child has dyslexia....keep your opinions and comments to yourself.

That's my vent.

Well, it's difficult to give advice over a message board. Responders aren't directly observing your child nor are they professionals.

I may ask for advice but I always go with my own gut and if necessary pull in a professional.

I have a child who was in that "more time to click" category. He's now reading fluently and progressed very rapidly once it "clicked". I think most people are basing their advice on a child that doesn't have difficulties because it is very sound advice.

I will never again just stand back and wait for my child's reading struggles to just disappear with maturity. :glare: I now know that dyslexia is in the family, and waiting only delays my child getting the help he needs at a time when it is easier to give it. Had I started the reading technique he needed earlier, he wouldn't be a 9 yr old struggling as much as he does.

The next person who says to me, "Oh, some kids just need more time for it to click" I will scream.

Oh, also don't say to me that all that is needed for kids to learn to read is to have books readily available and a little reading corner set up. Unless your child has dyslexia....keep your opinions and comments to yourself.

That's my vent.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

This drives me nuts too. I know people mean well, but that advice causes so much unnecessary pain. Among the people who told me my dd just needed time to mature were the following family members:

a second grade teacher

a pediatrician

a pediatric neurologist

a family physician

They were all wrong. None of them knew the first thing about reading issues. Luckily, I don't pay much attention to what other people say and we intervened fairly early. She would have been much better off if we had got started a couple years sooner though.

Yes, I'm still bitter.

I think I hear a scream coming on. :bigear::tongue_smilie:

Sorry, but waiting was what was needed for one of our children. It was a really nerve wracking time for me as I wondered whether waiting was the right thing to do.

Can you tell me how you went about finding help for your child? I'm asking because my youngest may need intervention.

Thanks,

Polly

That's my vent.

Just curious as to what "reading technique" you used?

Well, it's difficult to give advice over a message board. Responders aren't directly observing your child nor are they professionals.

Oh goodness, no. I didn't mean anyone on this board. I was talking about people who I know irl such as friends, our evaluator, and other home school moms at co-op.

I guess I have mixed feeling on this topic. Initially, I felt frustrated and angry that I had fallen into the wait and see approach.

But now, I realize there were a couple of more complicating factors: (1) My dh strongly advocated the wait and see approach; (2) I knew nothing about dyslexia, chose not to learn and was unaware of the family linkage for dyslexia (and my dh family has a strong history); (3) I was probably a bit in denial (I didn't really want to believe there was a real issue). Looking back, I knew in my heart as young as 7yo that "something" was off. And here is the challenge I have discovered that homeschooling has presented me, it was relatively easy to stay in denial-- I had no one else saying "There is a problem, you need to hear this!".

I am not sure if we would have acted earlier than 9yo (which is when we started actively seeking answers and initial assessments). I am not sure that ds would have been mature and motivated enough to tackle the intensive, and often challenging amount of work that we have done since to re-mediate the dyslexic issues. Nor would I have been able to do it since my dd was younger and need more of my focus.

Finally, I really am grateful for all those years that I spent reading and scribing for my ds. Those still are some of my fondest and treasured memories-- curled up on the couch reading, reading, reading all day long. Of course I am grateful that ds is starting to become independent and doing his own work now, and the intensive work we have done has been good but not nearly as lovely and fun as those days of reading.

Perhaps I am trying to look for the half-full and remove myself from the bitterness that I initially felt, but I have to say almost one year later I am not feeling so bleak and despondent on this topic.

Best of luck in your journey.

I think I hear a scream coming on. :bigear::tongue_smilie:

Sorry, but waiting was what was needed for one of our children. It was a really nerve wracking time for me as I wondered whether waiting was the right thing to do.

Can you tell me how you went about finding help for your child? I'm asking because my youngest may need intervention.

Thanks,

Polly

I finally decided to listen to my inner voice, and research. I ended up contacting a woman through Susan Barton's site.

I guess I have mixed feeling on this topic. Initially, I felt frustrated and angry that I had fallen into the wait and see approach.

But now, I realize there were a couple of more complicating factors: (1) My dh strongly advocated the wait and see approach; (2) I knew nothing about dyslexia, chose not to learn and was unaware of the family linkage for dyslexia (and my dh family has a strong history); (3) I was probably a bit in denial (I didn't really want to believe there was a real issue). Looking back, I knew in my heart as young as 7yo that "something" was off. And here is the challenge I have discovered that homeschooling has presented me, it was relatively easy to stay in denial-- I had no one else saying "There is a problem, you need to hear this!".

I am not sure if we would have acted earlier than 9yo (which is when we started actively seeking answers and initial assessments). I am not sure that ds would have been mature and motivated enough to tackle the intensive, and often challenging amount of work that we have done since to re-mediate the dyslexic issues. Nor would I have been able to do it since my dd was younger and need more of my focus.

Finally, I really am grateful for all those years that I spent reading and scribing for my ds. Those still are some of my fondest and treasured memories-- curled up on the couch reading, reading, reading all day long. Of course I am grateful that ds is starting to become independent and doing his own work now, and the intensive work we have done has been good but not nearly as lovely and fun as those days of reading.

Perhaps I am trying to look for the half-full and remove myself from the bitterness that I initially felt, but I have to say almost one year later I am not feeling so bleak and despondent on this topic.

Best of luck in your journey.

Our experience also includes a lot of read alouds, but also a lot of frustration. DS knew that all his friends could read and he couldn't. It bothered him. It embarassed him. He didn't want to participate in co-op classes if he thought he would have to read or write on his own. He asked me why his "stupid brain" can't read when everyone else can...including his 5 yr old brother.

I just put off researching reading difficulties as long as I did because I ignored my instinct. I didn't know all the warning sign of dyslexia, but I did know that my DH and his siblings have reading issues.

I have no one to blame but myself. I had a feeling something was wrong, but I ignored it. I wanted the others to be right, and I wanted it to just click.

What really gets me is that now that I know that ds is dyslexic, I still have people tell me that I just need to be patient and it will click someday.

I finally decided to listen to my inner voice, and research. I ended up contacting a woman through Susan Barton's site.

Thank you! I think that is sometimes the hardest part about homeschooling...we don't have the connections for who to contact if we do suspect our children may need help.

BTW, I'm really glad you are getting your son the help he needs. I've been pooh-poohed a few times myself. It can be hard when you know something needs to change but you feel a lack of support from the people you turn to.

Our experience also includes a lot of read alouds, but also a lot of frustration. DS knew that all his friends could read and he couldn't. It bothered him. It embarassed him. He didn't want to participate in co-op classes if he thought he would have to read or write on his own. He asked me why his "stupid brain" can't read when everyone else can...including his 5 yr old brother.

I just put off researching reading difficulties as long as I did because I ignored my instinct. I didn't know all the warning sign of dyslexia, but I did know that my DH and his siblings have reading issues.

I have no one to blame but myself. I had a feeling something was wrong, but I ignored it. I wanted the others to be right, and I wanted it to just click.

What really gets me is that now that I know that ds is dyslexic, I still have people tell me that I just need to be patient and it will click someday.

:grouphug:

I so "get" this. As far as other people's input, frankly, that upsets me a lot and shows both dramatic ignorance and poor boundaries!

What are some of the strategies for teaching reading to a dyslexic child?

Bill

Years ago, I was trained in the Riggs/Orton & Spalding WRTR Phonemic systems for ESL, LD, and Dyslexic students at the public school I taught at. It is a very intensive (one-on-one or group) method that really works. The drawback is the parent/teacher has to go through days/weeks of training to learn the methodology. But it is worth it!

http://www.riggsinst.org/HelpingChildren.aspx

http://www.iser.com/riggs.html

http://www.spalding.org/

http://www.spalding.org/index.php?tname=program&p=dyslexia

Edited by tex-mex

I will never again just stand back and wait for my child's reading struggles to just disappear with maturity. :glare:

That's my vent.

:iagree:

People who assume teaching reading to all children is easy, or that all kids should "pick up" reading if they are read-to and in a print-rich environment drive me nuts!!

Some kids would never pick it up because of other issues! I could be the best teacher in the world, reading my voice hoarse everyday with a library to rival the Bodleian and ds would not have picked up reading without interventions!

That's my vent.

Thank you thank you thank you for saying this!!!!

It applies to so many different things with our children.

Kudos to you for getting the help your child needs.

Years ago, I was trained in the Riggs/Orton & Spalding WRTR Phonemic systems for ESL, LD, and Dyslexic students at the public school I taught at. It is a very intensive (one-on-one or group) method that really works. The drawback is the parent/teacher has to go through days/weeks of training to learn the methodology. But it is worth it!

http://www.riggsinst.org/HelpingChildren.aspx

http://www.iser.com/riggs.html

http://www.spalding.org/

http://www.spalding.org/index.php?tname=program&p=dyslexia

The evidence based method is Orton-Gillingham. The key elements are multisensory, systematic, cumulative, and explicit.

Here's a good link that explains it: http://www.dys-add.com/teach.html

Thank you both!

Bill

I am one of those professionals and wait and see for the child with a true learning disability is not the right strategy for the child. The earlier intervention can be had the better the chance for success for the child in learning. It's never too late but the sooner is the better way for the child. If you are in doubt as to whether there is a problem or not, seek the advice and expertise of a professional.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

This drives me nuts too. I know people mean well, but that advice causes so much unnecessary pain. Among the people who told me my dd just needed time to mature were the following family members:

a second grade teacher

a pediatrician

a pediatric neurologist

a family physician

They were all wrong. None of them knew the first thing about reading issues. Luckily, I don't pay much attention to what other people say and we intervened fairly early. She would have been much better off if we had got started a couple years sooner though.

Yes, I'm still bitter.

If you don't mind sharing, could you tell us what was involved with the reading intervention.

Thank you in advance.

If you don't mind sharing, could you tell us what was involved with the reading intervention.

Thank you in advance.

As LizzyBee said,

multisensory, systematic, cumulative, and explicit
For my dd, we used Riggs. This helped with my dd's reading enormously, although she still struggles quite a bit with writing and spelling.

Riggs is pretty involved and now that I have experience with other curricula I wouldn't use it again. I prefer ABeCeDarian.

My son went to a private school who used Orton Gillingham for first and second grade. It worked well for the phonics component, but they didn't really address his fluency issues and he is still a very slow reader. I've done all sorts of things to try to improve his fluency and we have made very little progress. I'm not sure that it would have made any difference if they had addressed it earlier.

Edited by Perry

My 12 yo DD is dyslexic. Thankfully, she was admitted to the Scottish Rite program and reads very well now. My 9 yo daughter was a late reader. I had her tested at Scottish Rite for dyslexia. She's not dyslexic but needed time to mature. The therapist at the hospital explained that my older daughter did not have the phonemic awareness needed to learn to read fluently but my younger daughter did. After experiencing the frustration and pain my older daughter went through trying to learn to read, I was convinced I would never be able to teach my younger daughter. She, however, learned so quickly when she was ready and reads above grade level now.

Ann

I went through a period of severe mommy guilt over this, thinking that if he were in school, someone would've noticed his painfully slow development (if based only on comparison to his peers). He could've gotten help sooner :-(

Being in school may not have helped - we received most of the maturity comments and 'wait and see' advice from school personnel. I felt guilty that I didn't listen to my gut, ignore his teachers, and have ds evaluated earlier than we did. It would have saved him alot of emotional pain. My son doesn't have dyslexia - he is an aspie - but I think this happens with many dx's. With my niece, it was a concentration issue, and school officials took the 'wait and see' approach, followed by a push for ADD dx. It ended up being sleep apnea and iron deficiency.

After evaluation (testing) a prescriptive plan is designed to address the student's processing weaknesses in therapy twice a week for 85 minutes per session. I use an Orton Gillingham bases phonics program, rhythmic writing on large chalkboard, Zaner Blosser writing frame on laminated mat, assorted techniques for reading skillk, auditory skills, etc. for each individual student. There is a math block and intensive reading a grammar. This starts at 2nd or 3rd grade. There is a program prior to this one for K-1 that is very hands on called Search and Teach. These all build the cognitive skills needed for reading success. The program is minimum of 3 years and for dyslexia it can be much longer. I hope this is helpful.

As LizzyBee said, For my dd, we used Riggs. This helped with my dd's reading enormously, although she still struggles quite a bit with writing and spelling.

Riggs is pretty involved and now that I have experience with other curricula I wouldn't use it again. I prefer ABeCeDarian.

My son went to a private school who used Orton Gillingham for first and second grade. It worked well for the phonics component, but they didn't really address his fluency issues and he is still a very slow reader. I've done all sorts of things to try to improve his fluency and we have made very little progress. I'm not sure that it would have made any difference if they had addressed it earlier.

Thank you , Perry, for your response. :001_smile:

I can relate to your frustrations - One of my new years resolutions is to STOP talking to parents with normal kids about the difficulties of having a child with dyslexia, auditory processing disorder and speech difficulties. They just don't get it stick to news and weather and find support else where!

That's my vent.

I am very grateful to this board for this reason. In my early days of hoemschooling, as I was learning about various homeschooling styles, I was attracted to natural learning. But something in me told me that my 8yo son, who could barely read and write at all after being in school, was not going to respond to waiting. I didnt know he was dyslexic then- I just presumed he was a late maturer, although I suspected dyslexia. I read here several women saying- if your child has a learning disorder, waiting makes it worse. Better off getting help when they are younger than having them completely lose their confidence when they still can't read or write later.

I listened, I heard, and I responded. I used copywork, dictation and narration. I had him read aloud and silently daily. We went through a phonics book. When he was 9- his reading took off.

I had him tested 2 years ago now- he was 12. The lady said he was more than mildly dyslexic- in some areas, extremely dyslexic. She showed me how he couldnt really visualise in his mind. She designed programs for dyslexic kids- I was prepared to pay for him to have sessions with her- she said no way- whatever I was doing, I should keep doing it. The one on one attention he was getting from me every day was all she could give her clients for an hour a week. He was streaks ahead just being with me. She gave me some tips, lots of encouragement to keep doing whatever I was doing, and we went home.

It was good to get the diagnosis. It was good for his self esteem. But it hasnt really changed what we are doing. And I am sooooo glad I started copywork, dictation and narration from virtually the beginning. They help with that exact skill- visualising the words in the mind before putting them on paper. That, and LOTS of read alouds and insisting on daily reading time, I feel, have made all the difference- for him. If I had waited, listened to his frustrations, gone with the natural learning approach- I honestly still think he would be virtually illiterate.

I heard that repeatedly about my son as well. He'll catch on, he just needs time, etc.

We worked diligently for years together and he can now read, but was just dx with dyslexia.

I wish I had known so that we could have started on an OG based program earlier. All those years that he struggled! I knew something was wrong and should have not listened to the advise of others.

Gayle

See, knowing my dd had dyslexia did nothing for me. We were already doing it "right". The struggle is still there. Even knowing early doesn't really help in many cases. Even with the "right" programs, it takes a lot of time and effort. The honest truth is that being evaluated did my dd more harm than good. For her, it took time. Lots of time. Lots of effort. The truth is that she will probably never enjoy reading. She will never be a very good reader. She will be able to read well enough to have success in life.

I listened, I heard, and I responded. I used copywork, dictation and narration. I had him read aloud and silently daily. We went through a phonics book. When he was 9- his reading took off.

I had him tested 2 years ago now- he was 12. The lady said he was more than mildly dyslexic- in some areas, extremely dyslexic. She showed me how he couldnt really visualise in his mind. She designed programs for dyslexic kids- I was prepared to pay for him to have sessions with her- she said no way- whatever I was doing, I should keep doing it. The one on one attention he was getting from me every day was all she could give her clients for an hour a week. He was streaks ahead just being with me. She gave me some tips, lots of encouragement to keep doing whatever I was doing, and we went home.

It was good to get the diagnosis. It was good for his self esteem. But it hasnt really changed what we are doing. And I am sooooo glad I started copywork, dictation and narration from virtually the beginning. They help with that exact skill- visualising the words in the mind before putting them on paper. That, and LOTS of read alouds and insisting on daily reading time, I feel, have made all the difference- for him. If I had waited, listened to his frustrations, gone with the natural learning approach- I honestly still think he would be virtually illiterate.

:iagree:My ds14 is dyslexic and I could have wrote this myself.