Menu

where do you get audio book downloads?

hsmom

I just signed up for homeschoolradioshows.com today. I heard about it on homeschoolfreebie. You get a free download of Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates. I have a Sansa MP3 player, not an ipod, but I just plug it into my computer and drag the file to it and it's on there and ready to go.

Tricia

I joined Audible.com, which is a subsidiary of Amazon. I have the Gold membership, which costs about $15/month and you get one "credit" per month towards books. Almost all books are "1 credit," a few are 2. Members also get steep discounts on any additional audio books they buy. They average about $10-15 each, compared to $25-30 for audio books on CD at the bookstore.

For new members, the first three months are $7.50 per month, $15 thereafter. Here's a link to the membership plans:

http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/offers/howItWorks.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Jackie

We really like Audible. Our subscription gives us 2 free credits a month with our $22.95 month plan. We've never actually had to buy a book since we just use the credits. Technically we're buying but it is cheap with credits and only the monthly fee. I got the entire set of audio books for A History of US this way and saved them to disk. It is nice to be able to download to itunes from Audible too so I can listen to a book at the gym. They have a great selection too.

I joined Audible.com, which is a subsidiary of Amazon. I have the Gold membership, which costs about $15/month and you get one "credit" per month towards books. Almost all books are "1 credit," a few are 2. Members also get steep discounts on any additional audio books they buy. They average about $10-15 each, compared to $25-30 for audio books on CD at the bookstore.

For new members, the first three months are $7.50 per month, $15 thereafter. Here's a link to the membership plans:

Jackie

Ah, I haven't made the leap yet to membership. I haven't figured out our long term usage level yet, so right now I'm just pay as I go. For some of the little kids books, there's freebies too! :)

We really like Audible. Our subscription gives us 2 free credits a month with our $22.95 month plan. We've never actually had to buy a book since we just use the credits. Technically we're buying but it is cheap with credits and only the monthly fee. I got the entire set of audio books for A History of US this way and saved them to disk. It is nice to be able to download to itunes from Audible too so I can listen to a book at the gym. They have a great selection too.

Thank you for this!!! I didn't even know those were available, not sure how I missed them!

Jackie

I use the free stories on Librivox. You have to d/l each chapter, but since it is free, I don't mind the bit of extra work.

I love librivox too. There are some fabulous free audiobooks there.

BTW, you don't have to download each chapter individually if you have iTunes. There is a "Subscribe in iTunes" link where you can subscribe to the book as a podcast and have iTunes take care of all the downloading for you. Or you can download a zip file of the entire book.

I used to use the library, but I gave up after too many scratched CDs. I haven't looked into their digital audiobooks yet.

Jackie

I had no idea about this!!! Thank you so much for the information! Can't wait to join!!

Another vote for Audible.com. We love, love, love it! I got my daughter her own membership for audiblekids and she gets to choose a book a month. Audible has very high quality standards - I've never gotten a clunker from them (and I definitely have from iTunes, especially the freebies... some of them are just groaners).

I love the library for the audio cds, but I just can't stand trying to move them to an iPod... most audiobooks have anti-piracy blocks that jumble the chapters and I just don't have the time or patience to rearrange them and rename them. So we stick with the library just for the audiobooks that we play in the car on cd's.