Menu

Eeewww!

Last night I was sitting peacefully alone by the fire, watching TV. I suddenly heard this high pitched squeal-like sound, sort of like fat burning, start coming from the fireplace. It was loud enough to wake and alert the dog, who ran over to investigate. I did, too, but saw nothing. When I turned off the fireplace (gas logs), however, I saw that something was still burning. The smell of burning flesh filled the room! I couldn't figure out what it was, but I could see a few bones! In the morning when it cooled down, I went to investigate. I had toasted field mouse! All that was left was a black blob and some teeth. It must have fallen down the chimney, straight into a burning fire.

Eeeewww is all I have to say. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Edited by Twinmom

Last night I was sitting peacefully alone by the fire, watching TV. I suddenly heard this high pitched squeal-like sound, sort of like fat burning, start coming from the fireplace. It was loud enough to wake and alert the dog, who ran over to investigate. I did, too, but saw nothing. When I turned off the fireplace (gas logs), however, I saw that something was still burning. The smell of burning flesh filled the room! I couldn't figure out what it was, but I could see a few bones! In the morning when it cooled down, I went to investigate. I had toasted field mouse! All that was left was a black blob and some teeth. It must have fallen down the chimney, straight into a burning fire.

Eeeewww is all I have to say. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

I wouldn't think a mouse could get in your chimney. But a bat could!

Man!! You know times are tough when mice start committing suicide. :eek:

yeah, but I want to know where they're getting the money to buy their smokes? And are they cigarettes or something funkier? Maybe he was just in there trying to get a light.:lol:

edited to say that I should have quoted the smoking mouse.

No, I haven't been smoking tonight. :D

I wouldn't think a mouse could get in your chimney. But a bat could!

I thought about that and actually went in expecting one! We do have bats around here and I remember one roosting in the breezeway once. However, I'm pretty sure it was a mouse based on the teeth. I've unfortunately seen a few too many sets of mouse teeth around here, plus I checked online and compared it to a bat's teeth...no match. We have a chimney that reaches downward into the basement, where an oil stove used to heat the house (old house from the late 30s). There is a back vent upward into the house...I think the little guy tried to climb up and out and fell downward into the fireplace. At least, that's my best guess!

I did find some bones that could have been wing bones, though. A mystery never to be solved, I'll bet. Hmmm....:D:D

IHowever, I'm pretty sure it was a mouse based on the teeth. I've unfortunately seen a few too many sets of mouse teeth around here, plus I checked online and compared it to a bat's teeth...no match. ...

I did find some bones that could have been wing bones, though. A mystery never to be solved, I'll bet. Hmmm....:D:D

That creature proudly gave his body for science. Sounds like you all got a great forensics lesson!