Menu

Kids going to pub school part time?

In my ideal world, ds would go to school part-time next year and be homeschooled part-time. I read an article on Hoagie's Educ site about a family who did this and just encountered it again a homeschooling book that I'm reading. How possible is it? I can imagine that the school system might be very resistant. Has anyone done this? What hurdles did you have to cross?

Edited by Staceyshoe

This really depends on the school system, or even the principal. The schools my kids would go to are open to homeschooled kids taking classes. They do not get a diploma, though. There are other schools in the same district that are not open to it all and quite hostile. I haven't personally done it, but my friend has. Her kids all took band at the local elementary school (art was an option, too.) They took foreign language at the junior high. They have picked and chosen classes for high school. It helps that her husband is the beloved calculus teacher at the local high school and has helped her children hand-pick the teachers that were good.

:lol: Sorry, from a quick read through the list, this looked like kids going to the pub during school time.....

like instead of lunch. Ackk.

I should add, I've heard of kids being able to take advantage of music, arts, sports, band and similar activities. I don't know about core subjects, I would agree with DER that it would no doubt depend on the school system in question.

How possible is it?

Depends on where you live. We currently live in Utah, where public schools are required by state law to accept home schoolers for any or all academics -- though not sports, etc. -- and charter schools are excepted as well. Having lived in Ohio for 12 years, I would imagine it will be more difficult for you, though I certainly hope not.

Has anyone done this? What hurdles did you have to cross?

My ds14 is taking 2 classes at the public high school and it is going well so far. Our hurdles were minimal -- primarily the bureaucracy's quota of useless paper for registration. He has not been singled out personally by his teachers or classmates. I thank the state law and the funding peculiarities for AP classes for that (DS is taking AP Bio, which is funded separately from regular science classes, so it's to the school's advantage to pack kids into AP classes ... and yes, there are many kids in his class that shouldn't be there, but that's another discussion.)

Hoping it's easy for you, too,

Karen

Echoing that it depends where you live. Check your state laws.

Here in VA, only high schoolers can take classes, and only two "core" classes per year (Eng, history, science, math or foreign lang), at the high school they would normally go to.

What class would you want your child to go for? I would assume it would be difficult to go for anything basic, because it would be integrated into the K day, and may not be at a certain time every morning. (Plus, your child seems advanced and there would be little advantage to doing K work when your child is already doing more.) A music, art or PE class would typically be at a scheduled time, and therefore easier to attend. I'd check.

We did it in Minnesota and again here in Michigan. Both of my girls went part time to Highschool and recieved diplomas from the public school.

I am sure that is not the norm here in Michigan, but it was in Minnesota and still is as far as I know.

Start by calling the Highschool guidance office ask if they are receptive to it. Then I would make an appointment with the principal.

If you want your child to take core classes ( Math, English, etc.) be prepared with a transcript to show his/her progress at home. I am not talking about grades necessarily, just the progression of courses taught at home. If you want him/her to take non core classes like foreign language, arts, music, etc......that should be easier to accomplish.

It really can change from school district to school district. The next school over from us is not at all homeschooler friendly, and yet our's is. They really deep down are hoping you will fall in love with their school and enroll your child full time.

We have been looking into it, for when we return to Australia later this year ( sure, I know THAT part doesn't help...lol).

There are 3 schools we are looking at enrolling the children in. New regulation now allows children who are homeschooling ( in Victoria) to attend school part time. It is pretty much up to the parents to approach the school and see if they are interested in allowing the child to attend.

It is then up to the principals discretion.

Fees etc and then paid pro rata.

I'm curious how you went about asking the school? Did you send an email or call or walk in and what exactly did you ask for?

Thanks!

I called and talked to the principal and told him I was interested in dual enrolling. He said that was fine, and just to show up at registration and they'd work it out.

I did that for 2 years, and then discovered that I should have been going through the homeschool department that is associated with the school district. We had had some issues with lost records and ITBS scores going to the wrong place, and it turned out that the paperwork should have been done through the homeschool group.

I think every district and every school is a little different. I'd see if your district has a homeschool department or liaison and talk to them first. They will probably know much more about the logistics than the school.

In Washington State homeschooled students are allowed to participate in any public school class or function that they choose to. So it is very common here for homeschooled kids to take classes at the public schools. We also have a program especially for homeschoolers that offers classes, which my children participate in.

Thanks for all the replies! I will be checking into my state's laws and then decide how to best approach the school.

Just to clarify--this is for my 4y.o. who will be 5 before the schoolyear next fall. He's very advanced which is why I'm planning to homeschool. So I would do the core subjects at home with him. He absolutely loves his classroom experience this year, so I am thinking about having him attend at school for things like art.

Can people send their elementary kids to school part-time? I've only heard of this for middle and high school, where there are actual separate classes.

I can send them for anything even math and language arts. Elementary classes have schedules too. I don't think it would work to have them go for those subjects since it could disrupt the class. But I was told that I can pick any subjects and the doors are open!

But I opted for only the Gifted Program, Art and Music.

Can people send their elementary kids to school part-time? I've only heard of this for middle and high school, where there are actual separate classes.

Like Kai mentioned, here in WA we can send our kids for up to 180 minutes per day in elementary or 3 periods in Jr. High/High school (possibly more if the individual school is flexible. I was just up at the school working it out today.

This really depends on the school system, or even the principal. The schools my kids would go to are open to homeschooled kids taking classes.

Our school district allows HS'ers to take classes, try out for sports teams and everything they offer. As far as a Diplomas, you need to be appointed a guidance counselor and they approve classes they will give your child credits for. The only in school requirment is, that you get 1/2 the credits from the school.

My dd goes to school one day a week at a ps school that was designed as an enrichment for homeschoolers. There is also a ps in my district that does a classical-style core curriculum program two to three days per week with you doing the rest. I also know that several other nearby districsts have homeschool programs that are very different. It is based on the way the CO homeschooling law is written and the way that schools are funded - the schools have big incentives to have homeschoolers in their desks part-time.

The program we are in is wonderful for us, and I plan to add my youngest tothe program next fall when she is old enough. It saves me a lot of time, energy and money with professional art teachers, hands-on science, online Rosetta Stone and other such benefits. My dd's favorite part is getting to play dodgeball in p.e.

I'd suggest that you contact your local school district to see if they have a homeschool office and start from there.

My daughter attends an alternative public school where we pick and choose which classes she takes. There are two programs - a full-time, where we're registered with the school and must take of a certain number and type classes and take standardized tests, and a part-time program where we can take any class we want. You can change from one program to the other... It's pretty cool!

Our schools allow homeschoolers to take any classes they want, from one to all but one. For sports you have to have 90% of your hours at school now, so that rules out most sports. To enroll, you just call and talk to the guidance counselor.

I haven't done it, but I have friends that do. Our schools are excellent, so it is a good way to get a bit of classroom experience and take any classes that mom can't teach, without having to pay for them.

I did this with my ds12 for the second half of last year...our principal was a little leery of it, but willing to give it a try. My son went to school only on Fridays (which were from 8:15-1)...so he got to go to PE, recess, orchestra, lunch. Ours was mostly for social reasons.

The way I convinced my principal was telling him this way he could have my ds take the end-of-year standardized tests still...otherwise they'd lose his awesome score to help their average. :001_smile: It worked.

I'd suggest having a frank discussion with the principal--discussing your child's giftedness & need for additional challenge. I'd just approach it as, hey, we're looking into all of our options and are wondering what the possibility would be for little Johnny to attend for just half the day next year.

Good luck!