Menu

Book A Week in 2010 - Book Week Two

I think I need three lists: read, in progress, and just the useful bits. Now that I'm recording my reading, I have discovered that I don't read one book at a time, or even whole books. I read a little here and a little there, whatever I need at the time.

Running List

Read:

Dragonsinger

In progress:

Waiting for Godot

Belle

Trevor Chamberlain: A Personal View

The Color of Distance

Useful bits:

Classical Music for Dummies - I may be able to sight read fast enough to keep up with my recorder group, more or less, but I am completely ignorant about what I am playing. I've always just played music, not tried to find out about it. I guess you could say the same with my reading: I've always just read, not tried to find out about what I am reading. It is an approach that works just fine (for me, anyway) but it definately doesn't work if you want to do something together with anyone else. Even skiing is this way for me. My husband taught me to ski, and I guess he must have done it without words, although I never noticed, because when I took a lesson, the instructor looked at the level I'm skiing at and assumed I knew all sorts of things that I'd never heard of before. I always feel so stupid when I talk to other people...

-Nan

Started Emma this morning. Finished P&P, and I actually quite enjoyed it (much to my surprise). It really did get better after the first 3rd. Glad I duked it out this time. Here's hoping Emma goes so well.

I just finished reading Emma for the second time. I absolutely loved it. It is one of my favorite Austen novels! Enjoy!

Last week I read "Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire". I enjoyed it and found some helpful tips. The end was tough for me to get through, in part because it was really aimed at classroom teachers, but in part because I felt like it was out of the reach of most teachers.

Oh, I do agree with that. He's clearly a wonderful teacher and all, but how many people could put that amount of time and energy into their classroom? What he's doing is not even possible for the vast majority of teachers (and does he ever see his wife?).

But a good book to read as well is "Work Hard. Be Nice." which is about the two guys who started KIPP schools. They have similar goals, but do things a bit differently, and it was an enjoyable read with good tips.

I'm a dunce, how did I miss that this was up?!?

Last week I read A Tale of Two Cities. This week I am reading Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly by Robert Dalby.

I love that book!

I was thinking about that last night whether to do mr linky with each weekly post for each book or one mr linky for each month. There are 70 people signed up to participate so far. All will be reading at different rates. Which would you all prefer. Mr. Linky for each week with the weekly post or one mr. linky link for each month which will be in the sidebar.

Another vote for weekly.

Book #1 was Martha Washington:An American Life by Patricia Brady. Week #2 is Founding Mothers: The Woman who raised our Nation by Cokie Roberts.

I really enjoyed that book, could you link me to your blog? I'd like to read your review :D

I've read... since Saturday:

'The Jungle' ~ Upton Sinclair There's my classic :tongue_smilie:

'Two-Part Invention' ~ Madeleine L'Engle And an autobiography (a GREAT one if anyone's looking) :)

'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' ~ Mary Ann Shaffer and Anne Barrows This was my recommended read (thank you Dangermom and Just Books Review) I really adored this book. Look around for the thank yous plastered everywhere ;)

I just finished my third book, Half Broke Horses, by Jeannette Walls.

I'm also still working on reading more than one book at a time and slowly working my way through Don Quixote, Mere Christianity, and looking for the next one to add in.

Those were both really good. Don Quixote takes for.ev.er, because the chapters are, ime, really hard to continue through. I needed a break between each and every chapter. Mere Christianity, though, took me awhile, because I wanted to write down every other line :lol:

When I went to the library to pick up How to Read a Book, I also picked up a biography called The Blue Cotton Gown by Patsy Harman. She is a nurse/midwife and the book tells about a bit more than a year in her life. Her husband is a GYN (they had previously done OB work, but stopped before the time the book records) and they share a practice. I expected it to be light reading, but I didn't expect it to be as compelling and difficult to put down as it was! If you're looking for a quick, interesting read, this is a good one. There are some difficult issues addressed in the book, both medical and general life stuff.

I also got Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult, which I haven't started because I know I won't be able to put it down and I HAVE to get some stuff done! Oh, and I've given up on The Truth About Love -- just can't get into and I'm halfway through!

I read Catching Fire this week (WOWZA!!!!)

I loved it, too! I was very disappointed to figure out, though, that she ripped off the story from a Japanese novel/movie (Battle Royale). I just got the Japanese book from work and my husband plowed through it. It's a bit gorier than Hunger Games, but he loved it. I just started it today.

I loved it, too! I was very disappointed to figure out, though, that she ripped off the story from a Japanese novel/movie (Battle Royale). I just got the Japanese book from work and my husband plowed through it. It's a bit gorier than Hunger Games, but he loved it. I just started it today.

Do you know that she ripped it off 100 percent for sure? Because it's not that unusual for writers to come up with similar ideas and for publishers to pick up on trends and start publishing certain kinds of stories.

I actually got through a couple books this week.

1)Fairest of All: A Tale of a Wicked Queen, which is a YA Snow White retelling. It was fair. We're doing a fairy tale unit right now, so I'll be reading a bunch of these twisted tales. :)

2)A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick. I read this one for work - it isn't one that I would have picked out myself, but it was intriguing. Very gritty... if you liked Water For Elephants, it kind of reminded me of that style of story. Same time period too (early 1900's).

Today I started Battle Royale (see my previous post!) which proves to be very interesting!

Do you know that she ripped it off 100 percent for sure? Because it's not that unusual for writers to come up with similar ideas and for publishers to pick up on trends and start publishing certain kinds of stories.

That's what I thought when I first heard about Hunger Games - we lived in Japan and I had known about the film Battle Royal as it is a cult classic over there. I figured it was just the same sort of premise.

My husband finished the BR novel, and the similarities are amazing. There are "careers", they use bird calls to signal one another, and in the second installment, the previous winners stage an uprising against the government.

I guess it could be a coincidence? Certainly the back story in Hunger Games/Catching Fire is original, but a lot seems to be borrowed.

I'm anxious to read it for myself.

That's what I thought when I first heard about Hunger Games - we lived in Japan and I had known about the film Battle Royal as it is a cult classic over there. I figured it was just the same sort of premise.

My husband finished the BR novel, and the similarities are amazing. There are "careers", they use bird calls to signal one another, and in the second installment, the previous winners stage an uprising against the government.

I guess it could be a coincidence? Certainly the back story in Hunger Games/Catching Fire is original, but a lot seems to be borrowed.

I'm anxious to read it for myself.

Perhaps some of it is borrowed, but that's nothing new in literature. Look at all the modern rewrites of Pride and Prejudice in modern times with modern titles, for example. If there is a lot of original backstory, then I'd let it go. Perhaps she wanted to take that Japanese cult classic and write something like it that would appeal to an American audience. Or she was writing this story and someone pointed her to the Japanese one. Or the editor was familiar with the Japanese one and suggested changes. I'm sorry to have read this, because I've read those 2 books and am waiting for the third book in the series. Dd just read Hunger Games because it was on the ps summer reading list and she wants to read some of them. Catching Fire has been put on hold for when she finishes her first semester because she wants to read it.

Perhaps some of it is borrowed, but that's nothing new in literature. Look at all the modern rewrites of Pride and Prejudice in modern times with modern titles, for example.

That really surprised me when I read "The Turn of the Screw" (Henry James). There were elements from nearly every ghost story I've ever read, with some romance, and even the dark and mysterious master..... I've read so many books that were that exact story (to the point where I wanted to scream out plagiarism!).

That's the only bad thing about reading a lot. Sometimes it starts to look like the movie industry (oh look it's another quasiIndianaJones moves, or another NightoftheLivingDead rip-off).

I'm a dunce, how did I miss that this was up?!?

I love that book!

Another vote for weekly.

I really enjoyed that book, could you link me to your blog? I'd like to read your review :D

My review is a little weak:glare:. I am not comfortable posting my blog link here. There is a poster here that has been stalking/harassing me and others at another homeschooling site so I don't really need her knowing where I live. If you or anyone else is interested fell free to pm me and i will send you the link. Sorry it has to be discreet:glare: but that's the way I feel most comfortable.

Book 1 - Olive Kitteridge (review up)

Book 2 - Uncle Tom's Cabin (review up)

Book 3 - The Cellist of Sarajevo (review will be up Saturday)

Book 4 - Contending for our All by John Piper

Book 5 (in progress) - Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer

I realize that I read much more than 52 books a year. I've just never kept track of them before. LOL.

Started Emma this morning. Finished P&P, and I actually quite enjoyed it (much to my surprise). It really did get better after the first 3rd. Glad I duked it out this time. Here's hoping Emma goes so well.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Emma. It's a bit of a slog compared to P&P as far as I"m concerned. I hope you enjoy it, though!

I finished Classical Education and the Homeschool by Wes Callihan, Douglas Jones, and Douglas Wilson. A very cursory overview with some good and some bad. Short and sweet, not a whole lot new, but if I crossed out a couple of lines, a book I could hand someone who was interested in Christian Classical Education. I'd probably first hand them An Introduction to Classical Education: A Guide for Parents by Dr. Perrin at Classical Academic Press.

List (Links are to my review):

Week 1: Touch Not the Cat

Week 2: An Introduction to Classical Education: A Guide for Parents

Edited by ladydusk

Sorry, ya'll. I didn't have a whole lot of time online the past couple days. Keep on adding your links for book two to the current link. With week 3 I'll start adding Mr. Linky to the weekly post.

I also haven't had any time to write any reviews but have been reading.

What I've read so far:

The Mists of Avalon by Marian Zimmer Bradley

Boomerang - Alan Hutcheson (ebook)

The Last Surgeon - Michael Palmer. It is a new one which will be coming out in February. He's offering one signed new copy to my readers so I'll be doing a giveaway. I'll be posting about that in the next week or so. I'll let you know when I do if any of you are interested.

I'm also reading Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series. I just finished # 7 & #8. Will be waiting for the last one Dead and Gone to come out in paperback in April to finish the series.

I just finished Eldest by Christopher Paolini. It has been a few years since I read Eragon, so I admit being a little lost even after reading the "Synopsis of Eragon." It was a long book for me (668 pages) and a little slow(?). Thankfully the action picked up the last hundred pages.

I haven't accomplished much in the past few days, so I've decided to take a break from reading for a day or two. My family would probably enjoy some clean clothes and home cooked food. ;)

I just finished a really wonderful recent historical fiction book for YA, titled "The Stone Goddess" by Minfong Ho. It's about a girl who lives through the Khmer Rouge regime; she's about 12 when it starts and she and her brother and sister are sent to work in rice fields. There is a lot about classical dance. I don't want to tell too much, but I cried through about half of it. I would certainly recommend it for any teenager (12+) studying modern history, but I'm not going to give it to my 9yo.

I won't be able to finish anything for week 2. :(

I started To Kill a Mockingbird, but haven't been able to spend much time on it.

Our current read-aloud is Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia, and we will definitely finish that one tomorrow (Sunday).

I read 2 books last week, though, so I guess I'm not really behind yet...

I read or should say am still reading "The Travels of Marco Polo" revised from Marsden's translation and edited by Manuel Komroff. It is actually very interesting. I hope to have finished it by tomorrow evening.

I'm also reading aloud "Poor Richard" by James Daugherty, "This Country of Ours" by HE Marshall, "Trial and Triumph" by Richard Hannula and "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White... none of which will be finished this week.