Menu

How frequently may we "spread rep points" ????

I try to give a person, say Patty Poster, a point, and get a message that I have to spread some rep points around before I give a point to PP. again. Thing is, i don't even remember how long ago I gave PP. a point. I can understand the powers that be not wanting friends to overload each other with points willy-nilly - but what is/are the rule/s for giving out points?????

I don't know the answer to that, but it's frustrating isn't it?

It's a safeguard, I'm sure, to make sure people aren't bumping up their buddy, or similar things...

But I often read a really *great* post that deserves some rep. and I can't give it. Sadly, I don't remember to go back and give rep later...

:lurk5:

It's a safeguard, I'm sure, to make sure people aren't bumping up their buddy, or similar things...

But I often read a really *great* post that deserves some rep. and I can't give it. Sadly, I don't remember to go back and give rep later...

Same here. I usually settle for a PM telling the person that ITA.

When I ran into this, I sent the person a pm letting her know why I would have given her positive rep. if I could have, but that doesn't give her any rep. points, does it now? Also, someone sent a message to me recently letting me know that they, too, had tried to give me positive rep. and couldn't. The strange thing with this is that I haven't ever received any rep, positive or negative, as far as I know. I mean, it does show up somewhere, doesn't it? I would have gotten a little message about it or something, right? So, why would that person get the "You have to spread the rep. around" message for me? :001_huh:

Same here. I usually settle for a PM telling the person that ITA.

Not always, but I do try. I notice the "must spread rep" message seems to show up more certain individuals than others, but my hunch is that's an illusion which just occurs because I happen to like/agree with that person's POV more often, causing me to want to rep them more often. Kind of like how you always seem to hit the red lights when you're in a hurry. Or...maybe it's not like that at all -- HA! But, you get my point, I hope. Good grief, you'd think I'd been smoking little green squares! :lol:

Doran

I now have a "list" of people and posts/threads to rep, LOL, I just don't have enough rep to give out per day, and often have to wait a few days to be able to rep a particular post/poster.

So do I, and.....pssssst (you are on my list!):001_smile:

:lurk5:

I feel the same way. Some posters just say something that resonates with me - time and time again :)

Joaly,

Rep points are explained in a sticky post on this board. Here is a direct link.

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Reputation Points

I didn't understand at first, either. I rather ignored it until someone sent me a PM to say they'd left an unsigned positive for me by accident. I was afraid I might be able to accidentally leave someone a negative (which you cannot do, I have since learned) so I dug around until I found the post about reputation points. I am fairly web-savvy so had not bothered to peruse the How To forum, but I've never participated in a site with a system like this before.

I kept running into the problem of needing to spread the rep until recently. I solved it by following a policy of repping every newbie I can catch posting. I just send 'em a "welcome to the forums" message. This keeps my rep well spread!!

I also send myself a PM when I can't rep someone and they have had said something amazing. That way I remember to rep them later.

Since getting the two squares I have been doing less "casual repping" and really taking seriously how SWB and the admins want it used. I guess my higher rep power has someone changed me. Sort of like the way Peter Parker changed when he became Spiderman. Except that I am afraid of heights. And I can't shoot webbing out of my wrist. But wouldn't it be cool if I could? Then everytime my kids were bad I would just throw a big web over them and put them on time out.

But I digress.

If you click on User Control Panel (CP) above, you should see the most recent reps that you've recieved.

I know I've left you a pos. rep, so you probably just didn't know where to look. :)

I've looked there and I sitll don't see anything about rep. Thanks, though, for sending me a pos. rep.! All I see is settings/options, private messages, subscribed threads, and miscellaneous. Nothing about rep. Does it only show up once you received a certain number?

Since getting the two squares I have been doing less "casual repping" and really taking seriously how SWB and the admins want it used.

I don't have extra-special powers like you ;) but I have been very careful about giving positive rep because I'm not certain just what The Powers That Be consider to be worthy posts. I don't want to be tossing it around willy-nilly.

Sort of like the way Peter Parker changed when he became Spiderman. Except that I am afraid of heights. And I can't shoot webbing out of my wrist. But wouldn't it be cool if I could? Then everytime my kids were bad I would just throw a big web over them and put them on time out.

But I digress.

You make me laugh and smile on a regular basis and this just totally did it for me--again! AND so I tried to rep you, but alas, I must have recently done so for you are forbidden to me, Kelli. You are like the forbidden fruit. Alas and forsooth...

But, I like you. :D

I answered a request for a favor of another poster, which took a few minutes of my time, but I did not mind. I honestly didn't do it for rep, just wanted to do something kind to someone in need. I was not surprised, however, when I noticed they had left me rep with a nice comment in the corresponding field. The little square, however, was gray instead of green. I think they meant to give me good rep for helping them, but left a negative instead.

Now I don't want to go fishing for good rep, but I really don't like having negative rep either. What happened? Is there anything I can do, or the other poster can do to reverse the negative rep?

I have to admit, this is bothering my ego. :lol:

Blessings,

Lucinda