Menu

Things to see in CA?

We may be going to CA in a few weeks. Flying into LA, driving up to San Fran for a few days and whatever else in between. Would like to see Disneyland, definately the ocean, a Nat'l Park or two, La Brea Tar Pits, gold mining area. Any must sees, must dos? Any recommendations on places to stay that are inexpensive? Any state parks along the ocean with camping cabins? And where's the best place to find starfish for my starfish crazy son?

Thank you!

If the gold mining areas you are visiting are around Sutter's Mill, you really should try to see Yosemite. It is very worth the drive, IMO! Have fun!

ETA: CA is MUCH bigger than most states in America! This is true even though it fits one just one map page like the other states! :lol: Also, there are quite a few mountains, meaning many twisty roads to get around some places. I only point these things out because when we made our first visit to California many years ago we had some difficulties with our driving itinerary because driving times were typically TWICE what we had planned.

Edited by RegGuheert

So, how long are you planning on staying?;) You'd spend at least a day at Disney - shoot, you could spend a whole week in the LA area and not see everything there is to see. The drive up the coastal highway to San Fran is gorgeous, but that would take you a good several days to do it right and the Bay Area is packed full of wonderful things. Gold Country is quite a ways away from the Bay Area, actually, near Sacramento. If I were you, I'd pick a region and stay there. If you're flying in to LA, then stay in that area - do Disney, the Getty Museum, there's some nice beaches in Orange County, Descanso Gardens. I know there's tons more than that, but I haven't been down there in ages. The Reagan Library is there, take the ferry to Catalina Island and you'd probably see dolphins along the way. Hollywood, Beverly Hills, La Brea Tar Pits. You could drive up to Santa Barbara. And that's just Southern California.

That's just my recommendation.

Gold areas are not between LA and San Francisco, but they are within easy reach of San Francisco. You can go to Sutter's Mill, about an hour out of Sacramento. Then go back to Sacramento and see Sutter's Fort and the Old Town area, Railroad Museum, etc. Or go a bit farther south and go to Columbia, a gold-era town that is now a state park. Columbia is best on weekends, unless you are coming during summer. There are lots of restored buildings, shops, food, and gold panning. Nearby are mine tours and cave tours. If you go to Columbia, you can also go sown the road to Jamestown, site of the oldest steam engine roundhouse and railroad that serviced gold sites, ride the steam engines, etc., but Jamestown is best only on weekends.

If you can possibly go to Yosemite, please go. Same with Sequoia. These are not directly on the highway between LA and San Francisco, but are within reach and worth the effort, even for one day. You may need chains, depending on weather.

If you are in San Francisco, be sure to go to Muir Woods (about a one hour drive) and see the redwoods, especially if you are not making it to Yosemite or Sequoia. There are easy hiking paths, suitable for even very young children, and it is beautiful. Plan to spend only a couple hours here, so you can go somewhere else as well that day.

Be sure to get advance tickets to Alcatraz (San Francisco) if you want to go there. The tours often sell out months in advance, so get on that as soon as you know for sure when you will be there. Don't pay any business to get you the tickets. Buy them from the Alcatraz tour website itself and save yourself the unnecessary fees.

Santa Cruz has a fun boardwalk and beach area and is a nice place to stop and walk around. Near Santa Cruz is Natural Bridges State Park, a beach. There are excellent tide pools there. Just plan it to arrive at low tide. We have always seen starfish there, along with other sea creatures. Plan to wear shoes while tide pooling because the rocks can be slippery and sharp on bare feet.

Monterey Aquarium (in Monterey, obviously) is another great place to spend the day, lots of sea creatures and excellent touch tanks, with starfish. You can also see sea lions and seals resting the rocks and swimming.

You will need to decide whether to drive from LA to San Francisco on highway 5 (goes through the center of the state, fastest route and the way you will go if you want to go to Yosemite or Sequoia) or Highway 101, which winds along the coast. Highway 101 is a beautiful drive, but takes several hours longer and you will need to check to see if it is open the entire route because there are some areas in northern CA where there tend to be rock slides that close the highway if it has been rainy. It can be windy, so be warned in case anyone gets car sick.

Photo Ninja has *EXCELLENT* suggestions ~ I wouldn't miss a thing on her list (in fact, it's making me homesick for the Bay Area!).

Downtown Santa Cruz has a great vibe & some good shopping (really great bookstores!) & is a lot less touristy than the Boardwalk. Carmel is also really nice!

In Southern California, Santa Barbara is a *gorgeous* place to visit - in particular, you could check out Mission Santa Barbara (actually, nearly all of the California missions are fun to visit & they're mostly along the coast, if you're driving that route). The Gamble House in Pasadena is utterly amazing, if you're into that sort of thing. Solvang is also a cute town to visit.

Gold areas are not between LA and San Francisco, but they are within easy reach of San Francisco. You can go to Sutter's Mill, about an hour out of Sacramento. Then go back to Sacramento and see Sutter's Fort and the Old Town area, Railroad Museum, etc. Or go a bit farther south and go to Columbia, a gold-era town that is now a state park. Columbia is best on weekends, unless you are coming during summer. There are lots of restored buildings, shops, food, and gold panning. Nearby are mine tours and cave tours. If you go to Columbia, you can also go sown the road to Jamestown, site of the oldest steam engine roundhouse and railroad that serviced gold sites, ride the steam engines, etc., but Jamestown is best only on weekends.

If you can possibly go to Yosemite, please go. Same with Sequoia. These are not directly on the highway between LA and San Francisco, but are within reach and worth the effort, even for one day. You may need chains, depending on weather.

If you are in San Francisco, be sure to go to Muir Woods (about a one hour drive) and see the redwoods, especially if you are not making it to Yosemite or Sequoia. There are easy hiking paths, suitable for even very young children, and it is beautiful. Plan to spend only a couple hours here, so you can go somewhere else as well that day.

Be sure to get advance tickets to Alcatraz (San Francisco) if you want to go there. The tours often sell out months in advance, so get on that as soon as you know for sure when you will be there. Don't pay any business to get you the tickets. Buy them from the Alcatraz tour website itself and save yourself the unnecessary fees.

Santa Cruz has a fun boardwalk and beach area and is a nice place to stop and walk around. Near Santa Cruz is Natural Bridges State Park, a beach. There are excellent tide pools there. Just plan it to arrive at low tide. We have always seen starfish there, along with other sea creatures. Plan to wear shoes while tide pooling because the rocks can be slippery and sharp on bare feet.

Monterey Aquarium (in Monterey, obviously) is another great place to spend the day, lots of sea creatures and excellent touch tanks, with starfish. You can also see sea lions and seals resting the rocks and swimming.

You will need to decide whether to drive from LA to San Francisco on highway 5 (goes through the center of the state, fastest route and the way you will go if you want to go to Yosemite or Sequoia) or Highway 101, which winds along the coast. Highway 101 is a beautiful drive, but takes several hours longer and you will need to check to see if it is open the entire route because there are some areas in northern CA where there tend to be rock slides that close the highway if it has been rainy. It can be windy, so be warned in case anyone gets car sick.

:iagree: And for sure don't miss Yosemite.......

Ok, I just have to put this in about Yosemite. Winter is probably a pretty good time to go, because the crowds are less, but I would never recommend it in the summer. It is too crowded. I live about 2 hours from Yosemite and have been numerous times, most of the times I've gone I've been steamed by the traffic, the people stopped in the middle of the road to take a picture of a stupid deer, and just the amount of people in general. It is stifling. I vow I'm never going to go there again. There are so many places just as magnificent in the Sierras that do not have the crowds.

Be sure to get advance tickets to Alcatraz (San Francisco) if you want to go there. The tours often sell out months in advance, so get on that as soon as you know for sure when you will be there.

I'm from the Bay Area. If I were taking my kids there, this would be my #1 destination. #2 would be the Rosicrucian Museum in San Jose. Other places would be the Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park, and Chinatown, all in San Francisco.

Have fun!

Monterey Bay Aquarium or the Long Beach Aquarium are must sees. Visit the Queen Mary if you go to Long Beach. Orange County beaches are nicer than the ones in Ventura. Go to the Kodak Theatre and Graumann's Chinese Theatre to ooh and ahh over the handprints/shoeprints/autographs by famous celebrities. Santa Barbara is beautiful! Travel up Hwy One if ya can! We used to live in the Ventura County area and traveled often to Northern CA to see family. I think it took us 6-8 hours to do the drive. Hwy 1 is very curvy... do it on a clear day to see the scenic view!

Edited by tex-mex

Personally, I would travel up north from LA thru Santa Barbara (visit Solvang or Hearst Castle) and up Hwy 1 to SF. On your way back... try driving south on the 5. Be warned the 5 is boring as snot -- your kids won't like it. And this time of the year is tule fog -- it can be dangerous to drive at night in the Central Valley. But it will offer you a route from SF to Sacramento/Placerville/Yosemite.

Edited by tex-mex

Well if you want to do the beach in southern Cal. I would recommend Crystal Cove in Newport Beach: http://www.beachcalifornia.com/crystal.html.

I'm bias because this is where we go for the most part :D. It's nice because you can see the ocean in a more natural setting, as opposed to the boardwalk hustle bustle thing (which is fun too). You can hit the beach from a few different ways, one entrance will take you to more secluded trails and beach, the other has trails and beach plus places to eat, a shake shack, and some cool old cottages from back in the day.

I'm not sure if Huntington Gardens was mentioned, but that's a GREAT place to spend the day. http://www.huntington.org/

I know someone mentioned the Getty, I second that! There are two museums, in two totally different places. The one in Malibu is free, but you have to make a reservation. http://www.getty.edu/visit/

As far as starfish go..we went here: http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/ last week and they let you touch starfish, sharks.. all sorts of good stuff :).

I would imagine Monterey Aquarium is light years ahead of this place though. But depending on how your timing works out? It's in the same place as the Queen Mary: http://www.queenmary.com/index.php?page=attractions

I lived in CA for a number of years and took my children to visit last winter. How may days are you planning? What are the greatest interests of your children? How old are they? Where will you be staying along your route, or is that up in the air? Are you combining business & pleasure? Or is this a pleasure, go where -you- will trip? Is there something you have always wanted to see?

Edited by LibraryLover

I lived in CA for a number of years and took my children to visit last winter. How may days are you planning? What are the greatest interests of your children? How old are they? Where will you be staying along your route, or is that up in the air? Are you combining business & pleasure? Or is this a pleasure, go where -you- will trip? Is there something you have always wanted to see?

We are looking at Jan. 27-Feb.6. Our kids are 12, 10 and 10. Must sees-the ocean (would love to see tidal pools and starfish) and a dear friend in San. Francisco. Would love to see La Brea Tar Pits, Disneyland, Yosemite and Sequoia NPs. But those parks maybe not very feasible this time of year?? Would like to see, if it worked, gold mining history, Golden Gate Bridge, ride a trolley car, Hollywood/movie type stuff. No business, no set itinerary. Just trying to get a rough itinerary down so I can plan. :)

If the gold mining areas you are visiting are around Sutter's Mill, you really should try to see Yosemite. It is very worth the drive, IMO! Have fun!

ETA: CA is MUCH bigger than most states in America! This is true even though it fits one just one map page like the other states! :lol: Also, there are quite a few mountains, meaning many twisty roads to get around some places. I only point these things out because when we made our first visit to California many years ago we had some difficulties with our driving itinerary because driving times were typically TWICE what we had planned.

From what I can tell, just traveling between LA and SF would be similar to traveling through MN top to bottom, although the terrain probably isn't quite the same. :) I'm reading through all my CA books I got from the library, but I'm still trying hard to get a clear picture of what to expect with the terrain, weather this time of year, etc. Thanks for the heads up!

It is still in San Francisco, and it is GLORIOUS! Do not miss it!

Also, I live 50 minutes away and would be glad to show you around SF a bit--it's my home town. PM me if you want to try to figure something out.

That is so sweet of you to offer to show us around SF. One of the main reasons we would like to go to SF is because a dear friend of mine lives there and we want to see her and the family. So we should be in good hands. But thank you for such a gracious offer! Hugs to you!

From what I can tell, just traveling between LA and SF would be similar to traveling through MN top to bottom, although the terrain probably isn't quite the same. :) I'm reading through all my CA books I got from the library, but I'm still trying hard to get a clear picture of what to expect with the terrain, weather this time of year, etc. Thanks for the heads up!

We did San Diego to SF in 12 days and that included trips inland to Edwards AFB, 3 days in Sequoia, up to Yosemite, through Sacramento, etc.

Some great FREE tours included Guide Dogs for the Blind (just north of SF in San Rafael) and Jelly Belly (also north of SF a little in Fairfield).

By far the highlights were the diversity of the terrain (Mohave Desert vs. mountains vs. beach) and swimming at Newport Beach. We were the only ones in swimsuits in the morning (being landlocked Minnesotans) while everyone else had wetsuits with boogie boards, and that was in August.

Not only is Natural Bridges a great tide pool area, there is a grove of trees that house thousands upon thousands of Monarch butterflies during their annual migration. Depending on weather conditions, your time frame might mean they will still be there. It is incredible!!

Also, that time of year is good for observing California Gray Whales migrating south off the coast.

We love the cave hikes at Pinnacles National Park. They are awesome. You must have flashlights. It will be completely dark.

For roaming the rocks at the beach and seeing lots of wildlife our favorite is Point Lobos State Reserve just south of Carmel. This is the beach that Treasure Island by Stevenson was based on (or so with think).

Stop to see some Elephant Seals somewhere along the way.

Susie

You definitely have to see the elephant seals and this is the time of year to do it. THey are amazing in a... gross sort of way. We vacation every year in the Santa Cruz/Monterey area, so I'm pretty familiar with that area. Natural Bridges in Santa Cruz was a bit of a disappointment. If you want tidepools for free, drive out on the Monterey Peninsula through Pacific Grove and just pull off somewhere and walk around. There's tons of places to pull off the road. It's just beautiful out there and you don't have to pay anything. I just have a bit of a problem for all these little state parks around there that charge to get in and you can see the same thing a couple miles down for free. If you're in the Santa Cruz area visit the redwoods, and hike around and you'll see some pretty amazing banana slugs, too. If you go to Monterey, you also have to have clam chowder in a sour dough bread bowl (you can get that in San Fran, too).

We are looking at Jan. 27-Feb.6. Our kids are 12, 10 and 10. Must sees-the ocean (would love to see tidal pools and starfish) and a dear friend in San. Francisco. Would love to see La Brea Tar Pits, Disneyland, Yosemite and Sequoia NPs. But those parks maybe not very feasible this time of year?? Would like to see, if it worked, gold mining history, Golden Gate Bridge, ride a trolley car, Hollywood/movie type stuff. No business, no set itinerary. Just trying to get a rough itinerary down so I can plan. :)

Disneyland will be fine that time of year, unless it's raining. Yosemite is just beautiful in the winter--you'll love it! I have never been to Sequoia. The La Brea Tar Pits is a much smaller park than I had pictured. The museum contains all these old bones of over-sized prehistoric versions of today's predators, as well as dinosaurs and such. The bones are blackened somewhat by the tar, and between their being oversized and the darker color, they look really, really sinister. Still, there is not all that much to see there, and I think you might plan on a fallback of some sort for the rest of the day--maybe the LA Country Museum, which is nearby.

You should see the ocean between SF and LA--if you haul up I5, cut over near Carmel or Monterey and do the 17 mile drive. It is one of the most beautiful stretches of ocean coast in all of the West, and it's easy to navigate. You can stop and go to tide pools along there, and this time of the year you will probably find more shells than normal on the beach because of the storms that throw them to shore. It will probably be in the 50's or 60's at the beach, but quite windy.

In San Francisco, Golden Gate Park contains the DeYoung Museum, the Academy of Sciences, and the Japanese Tea Garden. The King Tut exhibit is at the De Young right now. I can't urge you strongly enough to go see that. The De Young was rebuilt for earthquake retrofits a few years back, and the architecture is quite unusual and gorgeous. It is basically the city museum--the venerable one with the big rotating and permanent collections--lots to like there. The Academy of Sciences has a 4 story living rain forest in a bubble inside--it reopened 1 1/2 years ago and is quite extraordinary. It's right across a concourse from the DeYoung. The Japanese Tea Garden is very old--I believe it is one of the oldest ones in the country. It has an incredible moon bridge--I distinctly remember getting stuck on it when I was about 4. My poor grandmother had to climb up in her pencil skirt and pumps to help me down. A picture of your kids up there would be priceless.

San Francisco is very compact and hilly. They can have those hills because there is virtually never any ice or snow. If your friend drives you around the scenic route, you'll see the crookedest street in the world (Lombard), Fisherman's Wharf, the Maritime Museum (shaped like a tug boat), and the Golden Gate Bridge. If you want Hollywood stuff, reserve a tour of Alcatraz. The tours are guided on headsets now, and they are very impressive. The boats for Alcatraz leave from Fisherman's Wharf, so you see that as well. Eat at Scoma's if you can--that's the FW restaurant that the locals go to. The classic SF dishs are ciapino (sp) and cracked crab (which is served cold--sometimes that is a shock to people). You're right in season for those right now. The cable cars turn around right at the end of the line near the Maritime Museum--worth a little walk to see that! And Ghiradelli Square, the old chocolate factory building, now a collection of little shops and restaurants, is an easy walk from there--stop in for sundaes and the best dark mint chocolate in the world!

One thing I always do with tourists that is not on the standard tours is take them up Twin Peaks if it's not overcast. From up there you can see the whole landscape--from the ocean to the bay and beyond. The other non-standard thing I do is take them down the steepest street in the world. This is not for the faint of heart. It is the block of 22nd street from Sanchez to Dolores Streets. This street is so steep that when I was a kid they made it one way down the hill, because cars kept stalling on their way up. It is so steep that the sidewalks are stairways because no one could walk on them otherwise. It is so steep that there is a yellow diamond shaped warning sign at the top of the hill that says "Hill" and for decades people have been crossing that out and writing "Cliff" instead. It is so steep that as you slowly move up over the crest of the hill, you have excruciating moments where you wonder whether there actually IS any pavement ahead of you, at all. It is so steep that if you don't go VERY slowly over that crest, you will fly off the pavement; and if you don't go VERY slowly at the bottom, you will bottom out. If you have a very low slung car, you will bottom out no matter what. This street is not just a street. It is an experience.

HWY 101 splits from 1 (what was quoted above is true of HWY 1) in about San Luis Obispo. HWY 101 rarely is closed and takes you to San Jose/Gilroy/ etc and eventually you can take a side highway to connect to 1 again.

From LA to SF either 5 or the 101 route are about the same but 1 will definitely take a lot longer. Also, beware that the Grapevine on 5 sometimes closes for snow issues. Also, if you take 5 in the winter, there can be SERIOUS fog in the San Joaquin Valley.

If you take the 101/1 route up through Santa Barbara to SF, you can visit Hearst Castle (not super interesting for young kids) and the Elephant Seals which breed at Piedras Blancas.

In terms of weather and terrain- it depends on where you are going. The weather will vary GREATLY from LA to SF. SF plan for fog and rain and colder than LA. CA is HUGE. It takes the same amount of time for me to drive from Seattle 3 hrs south to the Oregon boarder and then through the entire state of Oregon as it does to go from the CA/Oregon border to San Luis Obispo (which is 3 1/2-4 hrs south of SF and 2 hrs north of Santa Barbara).

Edited by lighthouseacademy

Just so you know, if it is raining when you get to Disneyland, it's still really fun. You can buy cheap plastic ponchos at Target, it's less crowded, it's different and neat. There are still tons of thing to do. I recommend going into The Grand Hotel sitting by the fireplace and drinking coffee and hot chocolate. It's a great way to warm up if it's rainy outside. You can go straight into California Park through the Grand.

It was raining a couple of days ago here and we went down to the beach (Crystal Cove). It is amazing, especially if the tide is low. Peaceful doesn't even begin to describe it.