Menu

Raw milk drinkers, can I get some input?

It seems that raw milk and I are no longer getting along. Not even a little. I'm not sure if it's always been this way and I never noticed or if it's been getting worse over time. We've been drinking and eating raw dairy for...over a year now, I think? Maybe almost two? I think it's safe to say that it's not a matter of getting used to it. Is there anything I can do to address the issue, or is it just time to let it go? Has anyone else gone through this? I'm pretty sure it's not a lactose thing because we drank regular milk for a few weeks last month (we'd run out) and my stomach was fine. I attributed that to cutting out wheat, but over the last few days, I made the connection between restocking our raw milk and the return of my constant tummy upset :(

I'd love to hear anyone's experience/thoughts.

TIA!

I heard some having problems with it. You should try to take a break for two weeks , then introduce it slowly but not as milk . Best it to make kefir from it. Best grains are live grains , not the dry ones . Try to buy it from the people that get the milk from the same place you do. If you are not able to make kefir , try to introduce it very slowly , starting with 1/2 ounce .

Might also depend on where you're getting your raw milk. (?)

I was thinking the same thing. Have you changed sources recently or has your source changed their processing? Have other people who had the same brand of raw milk experienced the same problems? This could be difficult to find out of course unless you get the milk from a small supplier and know others who shop there.

How long have you been off the wheat? Have you cut out all gluten or just wheat?

Sometimes it takes a while after you come off gluten before you can tolerate milk at all.

I would also check the source of your milk. If it has somehow become contaminated between cow and you, you could be having problems. What comes to mind immediately is Listeria. Which could cause stomach problems. It could cause much more severe problems if you are pregnant, but I digress.

I have recently let go of raw milk too...as well as most dairy altogether. I was drinking raw mik for a couple of years too.

For me, I wasn't getting a specific reaction...I have just been moving more toward vegan and felt I was ready to let go of dairy (although I am not strictly vegan). I feel much better for it.

No matter how wonderful raw milk is, and how much better than pasturised milk.....don't forget it is designed for baby calves :) And we are pretty much the only animals that drink milk after babyhood.

I am making almond milk and loving it.

Almond milk- easy peasy.

I soak the almonds overnight. That's the best way but you can just use them without soaking too. Use one part almonds to 3 or 4 parts water. More for thinner milk, less for creamier milk.

Blend in a blender for a minute or so. A high powered blender is best, but I am sure any will do.

I add a date or two for sweetness but it's not necessary.

Then you strain the milk. A nut bag strainer is useful- but it's just a nylon fine mesh bag and any way you can strain it is good. You probably need to use a spoon or your hand to squeeze as much liquid out as possible.

You can use other nuts, like brazil, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, or macadamias. I have only used almonds though because they are relatively inexpensive.

I make smoothies for the kids with almond milk- using frozen bananas and blueberries.

Almond milk- easy peasy.

I soak the almonds overnight. That's the best way but you can just use them without soaking too. Use one part almonds to 3 or 4 parts water. More for thinner milk, less for creamier milk.

Blend in a blender for a minute or so. A high powered blender is best, but I am sure any will do.

Then you strain the milk. A nut bag strainer is useful- but it's just a nylon fine mesh bag and any way you can strain it is good. You probably need to use a spoon or your hand to squeeze as much liquid out as possible.

You can use other nuts, like brazil, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, or macadamias. I have only used almonds though because they are relatively inexpensive.

I make smoothies for the kids with almond milk- using frozen bananas and blueberries.

Thanks! I am looking forward to trying this!

Almond milk- easy peasy.

Actually, for those of us in the US, it's a bit harder. I believe raw almonds are needed for almond milk, and are outlawed here (unless you buy the imported spanish almonds or grow your own). Almonds sold in US stores labeled as raw are actually pasteurized. The current laws allow this misleading labeling. :mad:

ETA: You can buy them online. So far...

Actually, for those of us in the US, it's a bit harder. I believe raw almonds are needed for almond milk, and are outlawed here (unless you buy the imported spanish almonds or grow your own). Almonds sold in US stores labeled as raw are actually pasteurized. The current laws allow this misleading labeling. :mad:

ETA: You can buy them online. So far...

I thought what I was buying was raw almonds but maybe not. Either way whatever is readily available in the grocery stores is what I use to make almond milk and it works fine. So I guess even if they are pasteurized it doesn't prevent you from making almond milk. You just don't want to use the ones that are already roasted.

I thought what I was buying was raw almonds but maybe not. Either way whatever is readily available in the grocery stores is what I use to make almond milk and it works fine. So I guess even if they are pasteurized it doesn't prevent you from making almond milk. You just don't want to use the ones that are already roasted.

I sure hope you're right. I just bought a package today (labeled raw). If they are from the US, they're pasteurized.

They do seem crunchy, even though they're not roasted. On mine it says "Product of USA, Spain". Who knows where they came from? :confused:

I do plan to try them anyway. The store bought almond milk is watery and overly sweet. I'd love to find a (non-soy) alternative.

Rice milk is supposed to be easy to make too.