Menu

Tell me what you think of my home education overhaul ideas!

OK, a little background. I am a huge reader and have come to the conclusion that my dc's are not going to be readers just because I am. For years I read, "If you are a big reader, your children will see you and follow your example." Well, just to say it isn't happening.

Not one to throw in the towel, I am thinking of implementing the following when we start back on Monday:

Everyone is up at 8, starting school work by 9.

Lunch is at 12 for 30 minutes.

Every day from 1:00 to 3:00 is reading time in the den. You are allowed to read literature selections but not do your school work like math, science, etc. during that time. Only reading from literature selections or free reads. Everyone sits quietly and reads their own book.

I know SWB suggests this in TWTM but I have not seen the vision. With sports, church, friends, etc., it seems my dc's never have the time or initiative to just read.

My reasons are, beyond the obvious that I want them to read, to learn to entertain themselves without depending upon other friends, siblings, screens, etc. for entertainment.

Tell me what you think. I am most concerned about two things: setting aside the time like an appointment and getting our work done in time each day.

I can't stand not getting our reading done each year. I think, at this point, this will be the best approach to fulfilling a classical education for my dc's.

Every day from 1:00 to 3:00 is reading time in the den. You are allowed to read literature selections but not do your school work like math, science, etc. during that time. Only reading from literature selections or free reads. Everyone sits quietly and reads their own book.

I'm in the same boat as you with ds. Dd would be okay with a solid 2 hrs of reading time (or a solid day, for that matter!), but ds would lose it. What do your kids think about the plan? Do you think they can handle reading for that long in one increment? Have you considered 30-40 min increments interspersed throughout the day? Right now we're in trade-off mode with ds; he can get weekend screen time based on how long he reads during the week. However, I'm considering switching to pages read instead of time invested...

I, too, am interested in other's thoughts about your post.

For years I read, "If you are a big reader, your children will see you and follow your example." Well, just to say it isn't happening.

I can't really help you, but I have to say to what you said above.....

You're right.....it doesn't happen.

Another suggestion is to give each kid a kitchen timer ($10) and have them read books for a set time each day. If they need a break, they can pause the timer, do other school work, get water . . . Mine have to rotate through books during that time: 1 nonfiction history, 1 science, 1 literature and sometimes other books I choose. The reason I do this is because I have heard that to get the most out of studying, you should change subjects every 20 minutes. I use the individual timers because I found that they were purposefully wasting time and I got tired of riding them. We have been doing this for two years and I love it!

I'm in the same boat as you with ds. Dd would be okay with a solid 2 hrs of reading time (or a solid day, for that matter!), but ds would lose it. What do your kids think about the plan? Do you think they can handle reading for that long in one increment? Have you considered 30-40 min increments interspersed throughout the day? Right now we're in trade-off mode with ds; he can get weekend screen time based on how long he reads during the week. However, I'm considering switching to pages read instead of time invested...

I, too, am interested in other's thoughts about your post.

I was going withe the two hours because I am thinking it will allow us to get most of our other subjects done before lunch like grammar, latin, math and science. I am thinking I might read aloud for 30 minutes or so, take a 10 minute break, then read for the remainder of the time. My dc's are older so I think they can "plan" what to read for that time. For instance, they can read the literature book they are using for Lightning Literature, the literature selections from TWTM or free reading. They can even switch around if they choose, as long as they use the time.

When I heard SWB speak in Virginia, she spoke about having a two hour break every day where the dc's can read, do projects, etc. They just aren't aloud to talk or play together. It is strictly alone time. I don't think the way my house is designed I would be able to monitor them upstairs, downstairs, etc. so I am going to require they be in the same room. I know my older two need some "focused" time to really get into the books they are reading. Also, I am hoping the extended time will allow them to really get into the book which I find hard to do for a short snippet here and there.

I remember hearing SWB talk about her time each day, as well as in her book, and I thought it sounded crazy. However, really desiring my dc's to study the classics is going to take time set-apart for just that task. I am hoping this will help us accomplish our classical goals.

I'm not sure how you will feel about this (or others for that matter), but I'd like to offer a suggestion. I've recently been reading some things about reluctant readers, and as a former 8th grade English teacher, I actually noticed a positive difference when I utilized these in my classroom. How about allowing them to read picture books? Or better yet, choose a topic with them and read the picture books to them?

I'm not talking about Eric Carle (although he's fabulous) since that is for younger children, but deeper picture books that will open their curiosity, and hopefully get them to take the next step. I just read A Picture Perfect Childhood by Cay Gibson, and she makes some excellent points to the validity of picture books in terms of the visual appeal (different art mediums used), the beauty of the characters and their development, as well as the strong morals many of these books possess. She has suggestions for nearly every subject, including Shakespeare & the classics, to introduce children to a variety of topics. Maybe if your kids explored these before diving into a novel or non-fiction book, they would have that extra drive to read the longer, pictureless book? Or maybe a picture book would spur them into wanting to explore a topic they would have not otherwise noticed; hence leading to further reading?

I'm just thinking outside of the box, which is often necessary for reluctant readers... All you would need is a library card and a great children's library...

I don't think mom (and/or dad) reading is the only necessity for readers. You also have to eliminate a lot of other options and create the time and incentive (praise, discussion, etc.) Do your dc have a lot of other "better" options in your home besides reading? Eliminating them would be my first step. Then I would start with a smaller amount of enforced reading, as PP have said. I would also try reading aloud.

I'm not sure how you will feel about this (or others for that matter), but I'd like to offer a suggestion. I've recently been reading some things about reluctant readers, and as a former 8th grade English teacher, I actually noticed a positive difference when I utilized these in my classroom. How about allowing them to read picture books? Or better yet, choose a topic with them and read the picture books to them?

I'm not talking about Eric Carle (although he's fabulous) since that is for younger children, but deeper picture books that will open their curiosity, and hopefully get them to take the next step. I just read A Picture Perfect Childhood by Cay Gibson, and she makes some excellent points to the validity of picture books in terms of the visual appeal (different art mediums used), the beauty of the characters and their development, as well as the strong morals many of these books possess. She has suggestions for nearly every subject, including Shakespeare & the classics, to introduce children to a variety of topics. Maybe if your kids explored these before diving into a novel or non-fiction book, they would have that extra drive to read the longer, pictureless book? Or maybe a picture book would spur them into wanting to explore a topic they would have not otherwise noticed; hence leading to further reading?

I'm just thinking outside of the box, which is often necessary for reluctant readers... All you would need is a library card and a great children's library...

Good idea. However, I wouldn't label my dc's as reluctant readers but they have gotten into a bad routine of being "done" when the subjects with a specific lesson is done for the day. For instance, math lesson done - check, grammar lesson done - check, etc. They have not set the time aside to read and then the afternoon comes, their friends begin to call, coming over and they never get the book read. Instead of setting time aside, the day just happens and then the look - well, you know the one - reading a chapter? Oh, I'll do it later, never gets done, on and on.

I think you get the idea. I'm scheduling reading during a certain time and then the subjects will be completed. I want to stress that reading is valuable learning.

Good idea. However, I wouldn't label my dc's as reluctant readers but they have gotten into a bad routine of being "done" when the subjects with a specific lesson is done for the day. For instance, math lesson done - check, grammar lesson done - check, etc. They have not set the time aside to read and then the afternoon comes, their friends begin to call, coming over and they never get the book read. Instead of setting time aside, the day just happens and then the look - well, you know the one - reading a chapter? Oh, I'll do it later, never gets done, on and on.

I think you get the idea. I'm scheduling reading during a certain time and then the subjects will be completed. I want to stress that reading is valuable learning.

Forgive me! I didn't pay close enough attention to your OP... Yes, scheduling a time is a better idea then! :D I should have said... we have an allotted time in our day devoted to reading, and that is all that is allowed during that time. It's working well for us, but I have to be very vigilant about not letting it slip because then ds (even though he's only 6) takes full advantage of it.

Wishing you all the best!

Forgive me! I didn't pay close enough attention to your OP... Yes, scheduling a time is a better idea then! :D I should have said... we have an allotted time in our day devoted to reading, and that is all that is allowed during that time. It's working well for us, but I have to be very vigilant about not letting it slip because then ds (even though he's only 6) takes full advantage of it.

Wishing you all the best!

Thanks. I'm thinking having a specific time means it will be done, IYKWIM. My dc's, unfortunately, aren't very trustworthy when I tell them to read a certain amount of time. Miraculously, they can finish an hour in about 15 minutes:confused: Hoping this will stop that tendancy.

I love your plan. It's my theory that my kids are voracious readers becuase I bored them into it, LOL!! When they first learned to read they had 2 options in the afternoon - read or nap. At 5/6/7 they hate naps so they were all over reading. I would keep them stacked up with loads of level appropriate/content appropriate books and let them at it. They read and read and read. There's no TV, no media, no screen time - just books. In the car - again - more books. They love to read. DH and I laugh constantly about finding the kids in the oddest places just hanging out and reading.

SO - the long answer - I believe it will work for you. Be kind about it - it's not a punishment. Keep a great selection. Take the kids with you to the library. Be OK with easy and challenging books. I don't allow twaddle - but I am all OK with variety. Maybe set up some goal charts. Keep up the read alouds, too. I think it's too easy to drop them too soon.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

I would start with 30 minutes personally. My dd LOVES to read, and I have to tell her to put down the book and go do something else daily, but my middle ds is not interested in reading AT ALL. He is very mechanical, and if he cannot build it, turn it on/off, or in general make something work then he will not do it. He is 6 and is still struggling with reading single words while his 4.5 yr old brother is reading simple books. It really has little to do with how much time you read to them or in front of them, they just are who they are. That is not to say they don't need to read, because of course they do, but do try not to push too much reading on them.

I would start way smaller, esp if your kids aren't used to a lot of reading time. 2 hours might be a shock to their systems. I would start with half an hour and then give them unstructured quiet time after that, where they can choose to continue reading or do something else. Hopefully in time they'll find books that catch their interest and they'll want to continue reading. I would also do read-alouds, but at a different time of the day.

When I heard SWB speak in Virginia, she spoke about having a two hour break every day where the dc's can read, do projects, etc. They just aren't aloud to talk or play together. It is strictly alone time. I don't think the way my house is designed I would be able to monitor them upstairs, downstairs, etc. so I am going to require they be in the same room. I know my older two need some "focused" time to really get into the books they are reading. Also, I am hoping the extended time will allow them to really get into the book which I find hard to do for a short snippet here and there.

I wasn't there, but I've heard discussion of this point of hers before. My understanding is that this is supposed to be a break time for both mom and kids, time to pursue one's own interests and get a brain break. I think they could still have this in the same room, they would just have to gather whatever supplies they needed ahead of time.

Whatever you end up doing, hope it works out for you!

My kids would LOSE it if I slapped this on them without easing them into it.

I would suggest a graduated plan, which is what I am working on right now. We read for 30 min. at the end of school time (silent/pleasure reading). I would like to continue to add time to that, but for me, that just means we would like to be at 45 min. by summer. Then NEXT school year I would like them at 60 min. I don't ever plan to implement 2 hours though because they have so much they have to read outside of silent/pleasure reading time that I am ok with *only* an hour.

Dawn

If I just give him a list and say "choose from this", it never seems to work. So, part of school each day is to read from a specific book. He can read ahead if he wants (and that sometimes happens), but he has to read at least the chapters specified. He can really drag out schoolwork, so having an afternoon of reading would never work. Also, 2 hours of reading every day is a LOT of reading for someone not used to it. I really think you need to build up to that. You don't want them to dread reading time.

I think it's a great idea, since it sounds like it's more about "finding time" to read rather than being truly reluctant. I might try to break up the 2 hour window some, especially at first. For instance, do a family read-aloud for part of the time. (If it kids are competent readers, have them take turns with the reading as well.) Or bring out a snack that they can eat while reading during the second hour (hot chocolate; apples with peanut butter; hot tea and little cookies; crackers and cheese, etc)... Maybe declare that if everyone does the reading time without complaint on M-Th, you'll do board games as a family during that time on Friday.

But yeah, if you're talking about competent readers who don't *dis*like reading but need a more structured time to read each day? I think your plan is just fine and good. :)

I think it's a great idea, since it sounds like it's more about "finding time" to read rather than being truly reluctant. I might try to break up the 2 hour window some, especially at first. For instance, do a family read-aloud for part of the time. (If it kids are competent readers, have them take turns with the reading as well.) Or bring out a snack that they can eat while reading during the second hour (hot chocolate; apples with peanut butter; hot tea and little cookies; crackers and cheese, etc)... Maybe declare that if everyone does the reading time without complaint on M-Th, you'll do board games as a family during that time on Friday.

But yeah, if you're talking about competent readers who don't *dis*like reading but need a more structured time to read each day? I think your plan is just fine and good. :)

Thanks for your great ideas. Snacks during the second hour is a great idea:iagree:

I am planning on reading aloud the first 30 to 40 minutes, taking a 10 minute break and settling down to read the remaining time. I don't think my dc's are adverse to reading, they just don't get the uninterrupted time to really experience the books they are reading. I really think this will help us in many ways: less stress at the end of the day, more time to explore their books, quiet time built into the day, a chance for them to realize noise and screens are not a necessary element of their day and Mom's satisfaction that reading is accomplished.

With our dc's, there is rarely a time where someone isn't doing something. I think this will give us some margin in our lives, if you have ever read the book titled "Margin." I'm really looking forward to seeing how this redirects our education from being event centered to home centered, if that makes any sense. In effect, I am taking back control of the home for the purpose of education, no interruptions allowed!!

However, I do think the idea of snacks is a great incentive. Cheese, crackers, popcorn, etc. Now who wouldn't enjoy that time to read?