Menu

Recommend your fav iphone apps

I know this has been done but i couldn't find a past thread, please link if you can find one :) What are your & your kids fav apps?

I just got the kids an itouch for school and travel and want some awesome apps on there to keep their minds busy.

So far we have -

pocket phonics

fling (love this)

hanoi (love this one too)

matches math magic

pop math

tanzen

toddler shapes

word magic

I really like the critical/strategy thinking ones and so do the the kids.

Also if you know how to get DVD onto the itouch please can you provide some advice/info.

I have audiobooks that i am loading too :)

Also if you know how to get DVD onto the itouch please can you provide some advice/info.

I use Any Video Converter. You use it after you rip your dvd to your hard drive, it then converts it to something your iphone can use, which you can now add to itunes. I only picked this one because it is free, lightweight and unobtrusive, but there are loads out there.

Hi, you might find DVD ripper for mac is what you're after. I think it's shareware.

BTW I came to the forum as google told me you'd mentioned PocketPhonics. I'm the developer of PocketPhonics, and I'd love to hear any feedback you have. Good ... and bad!

Cheers John

Well Any Video Convertor isn't going to work for me, it is a windows app and the mac app costs $49.95. Anyone else have another 'free' suggestion?

Hi John,

Thanks for joining to answer my question. I ended up finding iSkysoft DVD to iPod suite for mac which is working wonderfully. It did cost in the end but is doing what i want very easily so i guess you get what you pay for.

As for pocket phonics, my kids enjoy it. For me personally being a homeschooler i would love it if the letters each said all of the sounds they make, like the vowels all have long and short sounds. My DS inparticular loves tracing the letters as he is just learning to write. I LOVE that there are options for different types of print. That is all i can think of off the top of my head. We have only had it a couple of weeks.

We like:

• UTalk Latin
  • BuggOut
  • Virtual Villagers
  • Aces Nintaii
  • Fling
  • Cooking Mama
  • lots of hidden object puzzles, e.g. Buckingham Palace
  • Planets
  • Planet Facts
  • Crazy Penguin
  • Spikey's Bounce Around
  • Spore Origins(which ties in well with studying Protozoa!)

On our wish list for Christmas:

• Thor
  • Zooloretto
  • Bookworm
  • Fritz Chess

I've been tagging apps threads, so if you click the tag below you should find plenty.

I guess I don't have a very fun life. :) My favorite apps are useful...I haven't really found any games I like. These are my most-used apps, and they are free:

• USAA online banking - I can deposit checks at home by taking a photo!
  • Starbucks - to find the nearest location
  • Shazam - it can identify songs playing on the radio or elsewhere. My son wanted to know what the music is on the Dennis Prager show - Shazam identified it for us as a theme from Gladiator. (we knew it sounded like the "Pirates" theme - sure enough, Hans Zimmer composed both scores)
  • Amazon - buy something you see in the store, for cheaper at Amazon
  • Yelp - to find restaurants

Guest wenling85
Hi John,

Thanks for joining to answer my question. I ended up finding iSkysoft DVD to iPod suite for mac which is working wonderfully. It did cost in the end but is doing what i want very easily so i guess you get what you pay for.

I have iskysoft windows products too..:001_smile: Works great.

Lose It! (weight loss app) You put in your goal weight, log your food. You're told how many calories you have left for the day as you log in your foor.

C25K (Couch to 5K app)

Facebook

You Bible

CK (CalorieKing.com)

Pandora

The Weather Channel

Menstrual CalendarChicktionary

Evernote

Mental Case

Where

Ms Pac Man

Pac Man

Kids like:

Sally's Spa

Tap Tap Revenge

Falling Balls

Paper Toss

Edited by Karen FL

• 2 weeks later...

oh this is great!

some catholic ones:

irosary

Ipieta

Ibreviary

Imissal

other stuff:

PS Mobile is a photoshop for the pics you take with the iphone

pocketflicks - so I can manage my netflix queue instantly!

greek essentials

spanish tutor

poker rules

NPR news

visible vote

bump

discovery channel

stealth

father brown audio books

shazam

yelp

mylite

docs to go

sketchbook (autodesk is awesome)

fritz chess

stick wars

cat toy

unblock me

audiobooks

google

snap tell (I can take a pic of a book cover and it will launch a search for the places to purchase it and compare prices!)

Some that I really like are: Period Tracker, Knit Minder, iBird, TextFree and Art.

I've been in the market for a good book/library management app-- you know, books we have out from libraries or on loan to friends, due dates, that kind of thing. Anybody know of one?

Wow, there are some great apps on this thread!

As far as libraries, I've been eyeing this:

http://delicious-monster.com/

It doesn't have an app, but does have one-touch web publishing formatted for viewing on a mobile device. And it has a lot of versatility as a library cataloging tool. Not cheap, but worth a look.

CalenGoo

Congress

Delicious Bookmarks

Notebooks

I second Lose It!

• 1 year later...
Guest supermama

Talking about good educational iPhone games for kids I would like to draw your attention to iPhone app that is intended for children between 5-9 years old. Kinder Hangman - is specially designed to improve vocabulary of kids and help them remember new words. It is iTune link of the game. This iPhone app works to improve child's development and can be used to prepare kids for school. The game is very interesting and can be considered as a good way to keep children buzy.

Edited by supermama

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Best kids educational iPhone apps are also available here.
Thanks! Eggs on Legs and Eggs on Legs for iPad look interesting. However I must say that I find it interesting that these math drill games has been available on iTunes since late July and still do not have enough reviews or ratings to warrant have that information posted. If they are as good as the author of the article says, I would expect that more people would be using it.

Still, we may give Eggs on Legs for iPad a try.