Menu

If you could design a science corner in your school room.....

FO4UR

For what ages?

For my kindergartner, I would set out projects on different days or weeks: leaves with various types of veins for leaf rubbings and viewing through magnifying glass, magnets, measuring cups and sand/water/etc., open boxes with rubber bands for practicing how vibration produces sound, maybe a candy thermometer with different temp water in containers, kid-friendly balance scale with things to weigh, etc.

For my older dc, I would set up things related to the topics in their science books.

I'm working on a science corner, so I'm very interested to hear what people say. Mine is for a 5 year old.

So far I've got a desk with magnifying glasses, pens, and little trays on it. Right next to that is a shelf that holds our science experiment books. There are two bins to hold other things, but right now it's empty. The floor is washable, and I put up a cool sign in the area. :)

Right around the corner is our craft kitchen which has all the measuring cups, thermometers, etc... Large double sink, fridge, stove/oven, normal kitchen stuff.

A scale has been ordered and will arrive this afternoon. I'd love a microscope, but might wait until she's a little older unless I can find a high quality one built for younger kids.

Definitely need more ideas myself! Here it is getting started... We have a portable large play sink too from Step One, I forgot.

0909-air-007-150x150.jpg

Edited by Satori

I would like a deep shelf system to hold on-going projects: sometimes you start an experiment and then it just needs to *sit* somewhere for a while and you don't want it cluttering up your table.

Other thoughts:

-somewhere to store things brought home from nature walks (pinecones, leaves etc.)

-small terrarium for observing animals like tadpoles/frogs, cool insects, etc.

-nice colored pencils and paper for doing detailed drawings

-shelves for science-themed books, curriculum, science notebooks

-bins for supplies like magnets, building materials, droppers and containers, etc.

-nice scale and microscope

-posters covering what we are learning (we are in life science now so I would love to have a poster of the animal kingdom classification and another with the human body)

-lots of sunlight for experiments that require it.

-floor and surfaces that are easy to clean.

:D Wish I could do this in *my* house!

Keep the ideas coming!:D My dc are (almost)7, 4, and 3....but I'm always forward thinking so I want ideas for pre-K through older elementary.

I was thinking of putting this science corner in the HS room/playroom...but maybe the utility room would be better??? It's right next door to the HS room, is huge, has HUGE sinks. The only down side is it's in the basement, so not much natural light.

Keep the ideas coming!:D My dc are (almost)7, 4, and 3....but I'm always forward thinking so I want ideas for pre-K through older elementary.

I was thinking of putting this science corner in the HS room/playroom...but maybe the utility room would be better??? It's right next door to the HS room, is huge, has HUGE sinks. The only down side is it's in the basement, so not much natural light.

That's the room. The utility room with the sinks. Add some worktables (cheaply? purchased used restaurant "prep" table made of stainless steel seem ideal).

Bill

This is a really neat thread I hope more people answer. In June I am moving to my parents house because they are building one and low and behold I am gonna be lucky on the room area cause I actually will have 2 rooms that are connected that I plan on turning into my homeschool rooms. So I would totally love to make actual area. Right now it is all kinda everywhere. Her art/ writing area is in my living room LOL!!!

We use a small curio cabinet to display 'nature discoveries' (pine cones, leaves, seashells, bones, feathers, rocks, etc.) The bottom is a cupboard where we store all our field guides along with magnifying lenses, scopes, etc. It works really well and looks like a mini-natural history museum.

We use a small curio cabinet to display 'nature discoveries' (pine cones, leaves, seashells, bones, feathers, rocks, etc.) The bottom is a cupboard where we store all our field guides along with magnifying lenses, scopes, etc. It works really well and looks like a mini-natural history museum.

I would love to have sturdy square wooden shelves with all sorts of different shaped and sized cubbies to put everything in. Our house is small, though, and it's terribly difficult to find furniture big enough to fill its purpose and small enough to fit :p Your arrangement sounds very nice, I bet the kids love having their things under glass. :)

The cabinet is small ... only 18" wide, 12" deep and approx. 5 feet tall. It was originally used for my doll collection when I was a little girl (okay - I was in high school)... we've re-purposed it.

:lol:I still have my dolls....:lol:.....for umm...dd, that's right - for dd.:tongue_smilie:

I love the curio idea. My dc would love having "specimen" to display in their own mini-museum. I wonder if I could play this off as a Christmas gift somehow???:D

I would love lots of windows so we could set up a nice bird feeding station and bird bath outside. A basket with bird id book, binoculars and nature journal supplies (watercolors, colored pencils, etc.)

A big sturdy table for:

microscope, lope, magnifying glass, telescope

collector's display boxes

magnets

terrarium

an aquarium, set up as a temporary home for lizards, bugs, etc.

every id book you can imagine - clouds, butterflies, caterpillars, snakes, etc.

camera

jars of sea shells, acorns, rocks

One thing that I do have that I love -- I bought a wire hanger w/suction cups at a teacher supply store years ago. I have it up on our kitchen window with bird flashcards. I rotate out what flashcards are up so we can focus on learning four different birds at a time.

Now the most important question is how can I implement something like this with a toddler running amuk?

"Science corner" would not work here. We can't leave ANYTHING out. When the children finish they even have to fold up their chairs (metal folding chairs) and move them away from the table. Otherwise, the 15-month-old climbs up onto the table and gets into everything.

I'm enjoying reading all the ideas though. Maybe in a year or so...

What would it look like?

I so wish I could keep the science stuff to a corner.

My science corner would be different for each of my two science-minded children. I believe science education is at its strongest when children develop a hobby.

My nine-year-old would have a raised countertop worktable built in between two floor to ceiling stacks of smallish, clear drawers. The countertop worktable would be raised so that little siblings could not reach the dangerous stuff upon it. I'd get a barstool for my child to sit at the raised table. There would be intense task lighting, ideally a flexible lamp that comes out of the wall. In the clear drawers that flank the table, there would be a variety of electronic and metal components and tools. On the wall behind the counter, there would be recessed niches for half-complete models, and, of course, a couple of outlets. (My nine-year-old tends towards the miniature, always drawing and designing teeny things, so niches would suffice to hold the projects.)

My six-year-old would have a supersturdy custom made bookcase type structure with rows of various critters: fish, mice, carnivorous plants, a snake, a tarantula. One shelf would contain supplies, another, reference books and animal behavior experiment guides. Right nearby there'd be a cozy chair for him to sit and observe his critters. On that chair, I'd keep a lapdesk that opens up to store colored pencils and a notebook, so he could draw his babies all day long if he wanted to so so. I'd set up a table with a microscope, too, and keep blank slides available so he could look closely at things that fall of his critters and things he finds outside.

"Science corner" would not work here. We can't leave ANYTHING out. When the children finish they even have to fold up their chairs (metal folding chairs) and move them away from the table. Otherwise, the 15-month-old climbs up onto the table and gets into everything.

I have been wanting to do this for a LONG time - ds3 is just now to the point where we can set up something...as long as there is nothing poisonous or sharp....and I'm still thinking about gating it off;)

My science corner would be different for each of my two science-minded children. I believe science education is at its strongest when children develop a hobby.

Fantastic thoughts! Focusing on the individual interests...I'm going to think about how I can do that for each of mine.

The cabinet is small ... only 18" wide, 12" deep and approx. 5 feet tall. It was originally used for my doll collection when I was a little girl (okay - I was in high school)... we've re-purposed it.

That is such a good idea. Maybe I'll take some tours of the local salvages... Thank you, I really think I could maybe do this!

:lol:I still have my dolls....:lol:.....for umm...dd, that's right - for dd.:tongue_smilie:

I love the curio idea. My dc would love having "specimen" to display in their own mini-museum. I wonder if I could play this off as a Christmas gift somehow???:D

Yeah, that's why I've kept so many of my dolls too :p

Of course, dd never was into dolls, so I've just continued to keep them for myself (or later dds).

I thought I was the only one!

Guest Alte Veste Academy

OK, I'm begging you all to refrain from mocking me. Please. :tongue_smilie:

This is my dream list. I've been jotting things down for a very long time. A very, very long time. Some of the info I had from my years working as a demonstrator/field trip instructor/camp-in coordinator in a science museum. We do NOT, I repeat NOT own all of these items because I am not (quite) that insane. :lol: However, looking at the list, you will probably be very surprised by how much you already own that you could throw in the science area. You can also see if hubby is agreeable to donating items from the garage. My dad actually gave us a lot of old items that he has in triplicate like voltimeters and other interesting what-nots and do-dads that older men of great tinkeriness seem to amass in vast quantities. :D

My science center is on the patio. We live in TX so it's not a problem except on the harshest winter days. The patio is perfect because who cares about a mess and the "sink" is a bucket. We even have a triple sink because we have three buckets. In the summer, of course we use the pool as a sink. ;) Plenty of light too. When I get it in better order after the holidays, maybe we can start a new thread or revive this one and post pictures. (I'll be working on my art area also.)

General Science:

Calculators

Rulers

Scissors

Triple Beam Balance

Electronic Balance

Spring Scales

Weight and Mass set

Stopwatches

Calipers/C-Clamps

Magnifiers

Lab Charts/Posters

Medicine Droppers

Funnels

Aluminum Foil/Plastic Wrap

Foil Pans

Paper Plates and Cups

Plastic Spoons/Knives

Paper Towel/Shop Towels

Popsicle Sticks/Toothpicks

Straws

Ziploc Bags

Q-Tips

Cotton Balls

Gauze

Egg Cartons

Tape Measure/Ruler

Meter and Yard Sticks

Styrofoam

Corks

Flashlight

Plastic Bins

Notebooks

Velcro

Foam

Peanuts/Bubble Wrap

Styrofoam trays/cups

Cardboard Tubes (tp, etc.)

Scrap Wood/Balsa

Sandpaper

Egg Cartons

Newspaper/Boxes

Old Electronics

Tackle Box(es)

Plastic Bottles

Sponges

Tweezers

Forceps

Plastic/Rubber Tubing

PVC Pipes and Connectors

Tape (Electrical, Plumber’s, Duct, Masking)

Balloons

Tea Lights

Measuring Cups/Spoons

Marbles/Balls

Buckets

Twine/Fishing Line/Rope

Mirrors

Spray Bottles

Marbles

Miscellaneous:

Art Supplies

General Office Supplies

General Tools & Hardware

Gerber Tool

Pegboard/Hooks

Grocery Items:

Salt

Food Coloring

Corn Syrup

Baking Soda/Powder

Cornstarch

Vinegar

Health & Safety:

Eyewash Station

Goggles

Aprons

Gloves

Fire Blanket

Fire Extinguisher

First Aid Kit

Wipes/Hand Sanitizer

Tweezers

Insect Repellant

Change of clothes/shoes

Blankets

Life Science/Nature Studies:

Microscope and slides

Magiscope

Preserved specimens

Anatomical models

Petri Dishes

Magnifying Glass

Binoculars

Nature Journals/Art Supplies

Notebook/Pencils (sharpener)

Leaf/Flower Press

Whistle

Flashlight

Compass

Ziploc Bags

Glo-Germ/Black Light

Field Guides (TX specific and Golden Guides)

Work Gloves

Earth Science:

Relief Globe

Rocks and minerals

Magnets

Barometer, Rain Gauge

Solar Thermometer

Solar Power Cell

Volcano Model

Crystal Growing Kit

Celestial Globe

Stream Table

Water Test Kit

Motors/Batteries

Singing Rod with Rosin

Chemistry:

Test Tubes/Racks and Tongs

Rubber Stoppers/Corks

Beakers

Cylinders

Clamps

Bunsen Burners

Thermometers

Brushes

Hot Plate

pH Paper

Pipettes

Physical Science:

Spectrum Tubes

Prisms/Lens Sets

Color Wands

Mini Lamps/sockets

Wire

Alligator Clips

Power supplies

Van de Graaff Generator

Multimeter

Rockets

Batteries

Circuits Kit/Motors

Wood Boards

String

PVC

Simple Machines (or plans)

Tuning Forks/Slinky

Personal Supplies:

Camelbak

Lunch

Phone

Camera

Camping:

Tent

Sleeping Pads/Bags

Air Mattresses

Lantern

Stove/Kitchen

Table/Chairs

Fire Steel

12V Coffee Pot

Bungees

ETA: We just use the patio table for working and some shelves and a patio cart for storage but DH said he would build me this nifty cart. I need to get him on that. Hmmm. Maybe it could be my Christmas present.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Kristina-

I am C&P your list to my HS files. That folding workbench looks awesome - I need a few (for sewing and art and science.....).

I am :lol: at your triple sink...I don't think it would work for me...winters in OH are a wee bit different than TX.

This is my dream list. I've been jotting things down for a very long time. A very, very long time. Some of the info I had from my years working as a demonstrator/field trip instructor/camp-in coordinator in a science museum. We do NOT, I repeat NOT own all of these items because I am not (quite) that insane. :lol: However, looking at the list, you will probably be very surprised by how much you already own that you could throw in the science area. You can also see if hubby is agreeable to donating items from the garage. My dad actually gave us a lot of old items that he has in triplicate like voltimeters and other interesting what-nots and do-dads that older men of great tinkeriness seem to amass in vast quantities. :D

My science center is on the patio. We live in TX so it's not a problem except on the harshest winter days. The patio is perfect because who cares about a mess and the "sink" is a bucket. We even have a triple sink because we have three buckets. In the summer, of course we use the pool as a sink. ;) Plenty of light too. When I get it in better order after the holidays, maybe we can start a new thread or revive this one and post pictures. (I'll be working on my art area also.)

General Science:

Calculators

Rulers

Scissors

Triple Beam Balance

Electronic Balance

Spring Scales

Weight and Mass set

Stopwatches

Calipers/C-Clamps

Magnifiers

Lab Charts/Posters

Medicine Droppers

Funnels

Aluminum Foil/Plastic Wrap

Foil Pans

Paper Plates and Cups

Plastic Spoons/Knives

Paper Towel/Shop Towels

Popsicle Sticks/Toothpicks

Straws

Ziploc Bags

Q-Tips

Cotton Balls

Gauze

Egg Cartons

Tape Measure/Ruler

Meter and Yard Sticks

Styrofoam

Corks

Flashlight

Plastic Bins

Notebooks

Velcro

Foam

Peanuts/Bubble Wrap

Styrofoam trays/cups

Cardboard Tubes (tp, etc.)

Scrap Wood/Balsa

Sandpaper

Egg Cartons

Newspaper/Boxes

Old Electronics

Tackle Box(es)

Plastic Bottles

Sponges

Tweezers

Forceps

Plastic/Rubber Tubing

PVC Pipes and Connectors

Tape (Electrical, Plumber’s, Duct, Masking)

Balloons

Tea Lights

Measuring Cups/Spoons

Marbles/Balls

Buckets

Twine/Fishing Line/Rope

Mirrors

Spray Bottles

Marbles

Miscellaneous:

Art Supplies

General Office Supplies

General Tools & Hardware

Gerber Tool

Pegboard/Hooks

Grocery Items:

Salt

Food Coloring

Corn Syrup

Baking Soda/Powder

Cornstarch

Vinegar

Health & Safety:

Eyewash Station

Goggles

Aprons

Gloves

Fire Blanket

Fire Extinguisher

First Aid Kit

Wipes/Hand Sanitizer

Tweezers

Insect Repellant

Change of clothes/shoes

Blankets

Life Science/Nature Studies:

Microscope and slides

Magiscope

Preserved specimens

Anatomical models

Petri Dishes

Magnifying Glass

Binoculars

Nature Journals/Art Supplies

Notebook/Pencils (sharpener)

Leaf/Flower Press

Whistle

Flashlight

Compass

Ziploc Bags

Glo-Germ/Black Light

Field Guides (TX specific and Golden Guides)

Work Gloves

Earth Science:

Relief Globe

Rocks and minerals

Magnets

Barometer, Rain Gauge

Solar Thermometer

Solar Power Cell

Volcano Model

Crystal Growing Kit

Celestial Globe

Stream Table

Water Test Kit

Motors/Batteries

Singing Rod with Rosin

Chemistry:

Test Tubes/Racks and Tongs

Rubber Stoppers/Corks

Beakers

Cylinders

Clamps

Bunsen Burners

Thermometers

Brushes

Hot Plate

pH Paper

Pipettes

Physical Science:

Spectrum Tubes

Prisms/Lens Sets

Color Wands

Mini Lamps/sockets

Wire

Alligator Clips

Power supplies

Van de Graaff Generator

Multimeter

Rockets

Batteries

Circuits Kit/Motors

Wood Boards

String

PVC

Simple Machines (or plans)

Tuning Forks/Slinky

Personal Supplies:

Camelbak

Lunch

Phone

Camera

Camping:

Tent

Sleeping Pads/Bags

Air Mattresses

Lantern

Stove/Kitchen

Table/Chairs

Fire Steel

12V Coffee Pot

Bungees

ETA: We just use the patio table for working and some shelves and a patio cart for storage but DH said he would build me this nifty cart. I need to get him on that. Hmmm. Maybe it could be my Christmas present.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this! That is awesome! :)

That's the room. The utility room with the sinks. Add some worktables (cheaply? purchased used restaurant "prep" table made of stainless steel seem ideal).

Bill

Use full-spectrum light bulbs and buy one or two full-spectrum "daylight" lamps for the desks. It makes all the difference in the world -- you can make a dark, closed-in space feel like outdoors just with full-spectrum lights. Excellent mood enhancer.

OK, I'm begging you all to refrain from mocking me. Please. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you for posting this great list!

This thread has been great as I've been trying to think of the best way to set up a science corner in the new rental we'll be moving to soon.

Use full-spectrum light bulbs and buy one or two full-spectrum "daylight" lamps for the desks. It makes all the difference in the world -- you can make a dark, closed-in space feel like outdoors just with full-spectrum lights. Excellent mood enhancer.

Good thought!

Bill

Don't forget a supply of paper, colored pencils, regular pencils and pens. Oh, and a digital camera & printer. Document, document, document. Teach them young.

Consider one of those composition books w/out spiral so they can keep a notebook of their discoveries.

I would love a garden window for botany projects: http://www.helpinaflash.com/images/Ideas/Garden-Window.jpg

a beautiful terrarium: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://gaytree.com/terra/a-victorian_terrarium.jpg&imgrefurl=http://gaytree.com/terra/terrarium01.html&usg=__AiQ6kJorJWNccxw0469tGCWQPCk=&h=620&w=620&sz=194&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=-gDeiVnMDHZwMM:&tbnh=136&tbnw=136&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dterrarium%2Bvictorian%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1

A bookshelf for science only with a rug and chair.

I'd love to get a Chinese herb cabinet someday, and slowly learn/teach herbal remedies.http://www.artsofasiacorp.com/products/cabinets/cabinets1_files/image001.jpg

A great table, and lighting.

Alte Veste Academy---Mocking you??!!! I am bowing down to you. Oh great science corner guru...tell us more.

I LOVE hearing all these wonderful ideas. My kids actually asked for a science corner at the beginning of the year and we sort of did it. Nothing great and it quickly got reabsorbed back into the regular routine of our room. I am inspired to try again and do better!

My ideal science corner.....

Table for both of microscopes with drawers underneath for holding microscope supplies.

A sink for clean up etc.

I'd like a bookshelf for chemistry books, chemistry kits, chemistry supplies. Another for physics books, physics kits, physics supplies. Another for biology books, kits and supplies. A bookshelf for general science books. An area to display their rock and fossil collections. A bookshelf for keeping science notebooks and logs.

We need an area for our LEGO Mindstorms kits with a surface for building.

Lots of windows w/ an area for growing plants.

Lots of table space for experiments with electrical outlets and natural gas source (with a safety valve that I have to turn on for use). Fire blanket and extinguisher. :001_smile:

Wall space for putting posters such as classification chart.

A corner for my pre-Ker to do her own experiments - low table, paints, paper, crayons, etc.