Menu

Teacher cuts off student's braid

I read the rest of the article in which the teacher's association makes the excuse of teacher stress due to budget cuts. Ridiculous.

And ridiculous that the school district would "discipline" as opposed to fire this teacher who has no impulse control, is punitive, and is distracted by a child playing with braids.

Not to say little blonde pigtails couldn't drive a teacher nut with fiddling, but no I don't think it would've happened to little blond pigtails. The pigtails would be a clue that the parent cared enough to take time to 'fix' their child's hair, meaning the parent would probably care enough to take the time to contact a lawyer.

! I guess "black" hair braids itself?!

! I guess "black" hair braids itself?!

I didn't mean to imply that. What I meant was... the pigtails themselves imply an involved parent, the assumption could be that blonde pigtails imply an involved white parent which equal (if you were to employ stereotypes) an educated, involved, financially sound parent. I have never seen a little black girl whose hair was a mess. I've seen plenty of little white girls with rats nests on their heads. Another stereotype, all black women take excellent care of their children's hair/hair style.

I've seen the amount of work that goes into styling some 'black' hair. Ime, it's far more than what it takes to style blonde hair, iykwIm. But, I've honestly never seen a black child with hair that was a mess. I've seen tons of white kids running around with massive knots and tangles. The preconcieved notions would be a. all black kids have their hair done, b. white kids with tidy hair must have involved parents, c. white kids with unkempt hair have harried parents that are either to busy or too low to care.

So, no I don't believe that a blonde pigtail would've gotten the same treatment, because the assumption would be that the blonde pigtails belong to a child whose parents are financially stable, educated, and involved, regardless of the reality.

Laurie

That bothered me also. The MTEA stating that stress from budget constraints could be a factor. Baloney! It should never be an excuse for such actions but I was not surprised to see it --- give the teacher more money and she won't be in the mood to trim someone's locks. More money is the answer to all educational/teacher problems........

The Milwaukee Teachers Education Association can't talk about the incident but said stress is not unusual.

“As budget constraints get tighter every year, the stress level and frustrations do increase,†said the MTEA’s Sid Hatch.

I didn't mean to imply that.

I didn't mean to imply that you believed any of this -- I was trying to get into the mind of the teacher -- the idea that the teacher could think that braided hair means laziness, or that her hair / beauty doesn't really matter, unlike the blond pigtail. Sort of the Aunt Jemima/mammy image -- her hair isn't worth even considering, and it's certainly not beautiful! So who'd miss it?

I didn't mean to imply that you believed any of this -- I was trying to get into the mind of the teacher -- the idea that the teacher could think that braided hair means laziness, or that her hair / beauty doesn't really matter, unlike the blond pigtail. Sort of the Aunt Jemima/mammy image -- her hair isn't worth even considering, and it's certainly not beautiful! So who'd miss it?

Unfortunately these kinds of racist presumptions persist and teachers like this get away with it. Once we moved back to the States, I ended up in school system that thrived like this. Bigoted teachers (if you weren't white, didn't have money, weren't born and raised in the town, then you were considered a trashy nobody, especially if it was known that your parents would believe any adult over their own child by sheer fact that the person was supposed to be a trusted adult).

Just wanted to make sure. Even stating it as what someone else could/may think can get one in hot water.

It's so disturbing that what is most little girls' favorite feature would be used to punish her and in such a (semi, I know, but it doesn't seem that way at the time) permanent way!

My brother was a difficult student for various reasons. When he was little, one of his teachers used to yank his hair every time she walked by his desk. He finally told my mom about it and she was furious, confronted the teacher, got an apology.

So sad that teachers can be so power hungry that this kind of thing occurs.

My dd would have been so so sad! Seriously, so the kid was playing with her hair, there are worse things. There are other ways to deal with annoying kid behavior and I shudder to think what the teacher would do to a kid who was tapping a pencil.

I'm sure it was a frustration induced poor decision and at least she didn't slap the girl, but maybe the teacher needs more ideas for dealing with annoyances, or a place to vent or something. I don't want to be too hard on her because we all do dumb things we regret later but I know that my little girl would have been crushed.

OT - It would also appear that the teacher has neglected to teach grammar - sad

I have this nervous habit of clicking my pen when i am holding one. I can't help it. I would have hated this teacher.

And ridiculous that the school district would "discipline" as opposed to fire this teacher who has no impulse control, is punitive, and is distracted by a child playing with braids.

It is not easy to fire a teacher. Dh has been unable to fire teachers who have harmed students, but not for lack of trying. You can thank the teacher's union for that.

Edited by angela in ohio

I have this nervous habit of clicking my pen when i am holding one. I can't help it. I would have hated this teacher.

My dh used to hum when he was concentrating. His second grade teacher snuck up behind him once and whacked him on the head with a ruler. He never did it again but he still hates that teacher.

It is not easy to fire a teacher. Dh has been unable to fire teachers who have harmed students. You can thank the teacher's union for that.

When I was slapped in the face by a teacher, I went to the principle (we finally got a decent one in), but even she said that due to this teacher's standing within the teachers' union the principal could not touch her. It would have taken my parents suing and even then it would be a "he said/she said" situation as there were no witnesses. (in my case, my folks would not have cared enough to pursue it)

Wow! That didn't even occur to me but you are so right! One call from the neighbor if you did that in your home and CPS would be charging you with emotional abuse and in your lives neck-deep.

A parent doesn't even have to have done anything wrong to be in neck deep with CPS, but teachers and other outsiders can do what they wish with your kids with little or no repercussions.

I have to wonder why so many of these types of people (the need to absolute control of their atmosphere) go into education in the first place. They are obviously not fit for it.

Because it's a position of power with little oversight and "subjects" that are easy to manipulate and used to having authority exerted over them. Not to mention the "who are they going to believe" factor.:glare:

When I was in 8th grade, one of my teachers would throw hardback books at kids that were talking. Everybody knew about this and yet nothing was ever done about it. I would hope today, such behavior from teachers (including the hair cutting) would not be tolerated.

When I worked for an international accounting firm, one of our local partners used to throw *staplers* at the wall when he was displeased. He never hit anyone with them, and no one ever confronted him. He wasn't even the managing partner of the office. It was bizarre.

P.S. This isn't really related to *school*, but it reminded me that schools aren't the only places with *throwing things* issues.

Edited by Jackie in AR

Basically, prime atmosphere for abuse.

Precisely. I had to take my training to volunteer at our new church. I was stunned and disheartened that a great deal of it concerned abusers seeking out Christian churches, because of the niavete of the congregations :(

Abusers can add that to their looong list of reasons society considers chucking them into gas chambers. Places that should be safe, places where adults and children, both, should be able to relax, have become targets.

When I worked for an international accounting firm, one of our local partners used to throw *staplers* at the wall when he was displeased. He never hit anyone with them, and no one ever confronted him. He wasn't even the managing partner of the office. It was bizarre.

P.S. This isn't really related to *school*, but it reminded me that schools aren't the only places with *throwing things* issues.

The owner of a furniture store my dh was hired to manage many years ago once threw a stapler at him/the wall behind him.

Yeah. That was z very long month of employment there.

Because it's a position of power with little oversight and "subjects" that are easy to manipulate and used to having authority exerted over them. Not to mention the "who are they going to believe" factor.:glare:

You will notice, in these type of news stories, that it is always small children to whom this type of abuse occurs. No teacher would dare cut off the hair of a child (or slap, or write word in sharpie on a face, or "vote out of class", or lock in a closet) large enough to fight back effectively. Unfortunately, there are a very small number of people who go into teaching because it is job in which they have power over others. These teachers need to be tossed out the door and never allowed back inside. It's crazy.

My opinion as a former teacher.

You will notice, in these type of news stories, that it is always small children to whom this type of abuse occurs. No teacher would dare cut off the hair of a child (or slap, or write word in sharpie on a face, or "vote out of class", or lock in a closet) large enough to fight back effectively. Unfortunately, there are a very small number of people who go into teaching because it is job in which they have power over others. These teachers need to be tossed out the door and never allowed back inside. It's crazy.

My opinion as a former teacher.

I've had some truly wonderful teachers in my life. They never had to resort to violence, but they did have to remove problem students. What I've noticed is that the bullies (teachers) tend to encourage their problem students, egg them on, iykwIm.

It is terribly that sad that "good" leaders are scared to lead, because they understand the weight and responsibility it entails, but monsters are so quick to take up the slack.

Has there been a pic posted of this teacher anywhere?

I'm just wondering why everyone is so certain she's white. :001_huh:

I never said the teacher is white, and I'm the one who said I thought this had a race element. I think the GIRL is part of a society (ours) that doesn't value black female beauty.

However, there are sources that refer to the teacher as being white, including this interview with Essence. com where her mother describes the teacher as white.

Edited by stripe

One of my dh's problems/hangups about school is that he was belittled by his fifth grade teacher the entire year. At an end of year event, another mother told his mom, "My daughter comes home in tears nearly every day because of what Teacher X says to your son." My mil had not known, dh had never told her, and by then it was too late.

Just one of the many reasons we homeschool.