Menu

If you (or your spouse) has high cholesterol.....

Guest Cindie2dds

Guest Cindie2dds

... do you manage it without medicine? My husband's blood work came back and he has very high cholesterol and wants me to cook for him what I eat now (vegan). His diet was very heavy in meats and dairy, so I think a diet change will help. I know he needs more than this, but I would like to avoid prescription medicines if possible. What supplements have you used that have worked in lowering your numbers?

Thanks!

If supplements worked you would see millions of people with high cholesterol

flocking to the health store. The fact is millions of people take statins to reduce cholesterol. Lipitor has studies that show heart attack prevention. If your husband has, as you state, very high numbers, do you really want to risk cholesterol build up in his arteries? That would be worse then the fact he would have a "drug"in his system.

... do you manage it without medicine? My husband's blood work came back and he has very high cholesterol and wants me to cook for him what I eat now (vegan). His diet was very heavy in meats and dairy, so I think a diet change will help. I know he needs more than this, but I would like to avoid prescription medicines if possible. What supplements have you used that have worked in lowering your numbers?

Thanks!

I think a change to a vegan diet would be more than enough to get his cholesterol down. I wouldn't do anything else. I also dont think high cholesterol is the problem that many doctors make it out to be.

Check out this article:

http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/benefits_cholest.html

Dh had a hrt attack two yrs ago-we found out high chol runs in his family. He's been on statins since then but they give him joint pain. He just tried to go off them for 3 months and we ate a perfect vegetarian diet during that time, and he also took plant sterols and niacin. His LDL went UP from 60 to 167 in just three months! So for some people, diet may not help much.

As a matter of fact, after his heart attack, his doc told us to get our kids checked. Dd was 7 at the time-she has eaten an all-organic, whole grain, no processed foods, etc., diet all her life, and hers was high! (Doc said not to worry, sometimes when girls hit puberty, the estrogen can help.) Anyway, just to let you know that sometimes diet may not make a difference, so don't feel frustrated if it doesn't work for you!

It is certainly worth a try though. We liked this book; thought it was very well-balanced and helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/About-Statin-Drugs-Natural-Alternatives/dp/0757002579/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260500724&sr=8-4

Edited by HappyGrace

My FIL tried cholesterol lowering in drugs and was taken off. Instead he was put on high dose Niacin and had great results. It is now available in prescription form again as well. Over the counter works just as well and in many cases is much safer but you do need to use it under a doctor's monitoring. It can affect liver enzymes in some people at these levels. My doctor put me on it, although I have low cholesterol because it also raises good cholesterol and because of family history they want mine high. It is often taken with baby aspirin. I now take 500mg, 250mg twice a day with a baby aspirin. My FIL takes an even higher dose. I would talk to your doctor. I can't stress enough the need for proper monitoring.

Guest Cindie2dds

My MIL suggested CoQ10 and Niacin (non-flush). Has anyone had experience with CoQ10? Since this is the first time he's had it tested, the doctor wanted to see how much of it was inherited compared with diet/lifestyle by retesting after a change in diet -- his diet hasn't been good. He doesn't want to use medication if a change in diet will help. Thanks for the advice!

My MIL suggested CoQ10 and Niacin (non-flush). Has anyone had experience with CoQ10? Since this is the first time he's had it tested, the doctor wanted to see how much of it was inherited compared with diet/lifestyle by retesting after a change in diet -- his diet hasn't been good. He doesn't want to use medication if a change in diet will help. Thanks for the advice!

I lowered mine significantly by taking aged garlic, raw garlic, CoQ10, French grape seed extract, and also limiting my diet to less than 15 mg or grams (which?) of saturated fat per day. I used TONS of olive oil, NO butter, and ate ONLY skinless chicken or turkey breast, pork loin or fish and periodically lean beef, but only once or twice per month. I also didn't go high on carbs, and eating HEALTHY carbs is essential.

I took a tiny dose of niacin and it caused my face to look terribly sunburned. I loved having some color, but honestly - I looked like I fried myself!

Exercise also lowers the bad cholesterol and increases the good.

I totally eliminated all butter, cream, cheese, ONLY skim milk. Periodically I'd allow turkey sausage. Chili made with ground turkey was delicious. You couldn't even tell it wasn't hamburg. I made it with ground chicken breast but you have to make sure you're constantly mashing the chicken while cooking it. The clumps of chicken meat dried out. If you mash it up well while cooking, you have almost a fat free chili and it's delicious.

Remember that the ratio between HDL and LDL is just as important if not more so than the total number.

In addition to what's been said already, regular exercise is a key in elevating the "good cholesterol" which contributes to a more balanced ratio.

Guest Cindie2dds
Atkins--the complete opposite of vegan, lol--is what keeps my cholesterol low.

:lol: Well, not exactly what I was looking for, but glad it works for you!

Guest Cindie2dds
Remember that the ratio between HDL and LDL is just as important if not more so than the total number.

In addition to what's been said already, regular exercise is a key in elevating the "good cholesterol" which contributes to a more balanced ratio.

You know, with all the research I've done, I've never heard exercise described as elevating "good cholesterol." I probably skipped over that part since I have concentrated so much on diet and supplements. Thanks.

My sister's husband went on the South Beach diet, and when he went back in for chol. check 2 months later, his total # was down almost 100 points AND his triglycerides were in the normal range. Even the Dr. was amazed at what he accomplished on his own without med's and told him he was doing fantastic.

I don't know anything about this diet or how you eat on it, but just wanted to let you know what worked for him. :)

Guest Cindie2dds
my husband had high cholesterol. he brought it down to 3, in a few months, he ate oats for breakfast ,and brown rice for lunch and tea, lots of veggies and nothing else. It worked.

We have started with oats. Did he eat fruit too?

You might want to look at Dr. McDougall's website, drmcdougall.com. An oil-free vegan diet should eliminate not only your dh's cholesterol problem, but also help just about any other health problem he may have. Good luck.

Oil-free, what about Omega-3? I'll check Dr. McDougall's out, thanks! My thoughts exactly about a strict vegan diet. He is my bacon-cheeseburger with mayo guy, not exactly great for high cholesterol.

My sister's husband went on the South Beach diet, and when he went back in for chol. check 2 months later, his total # was down almost 100 points AND his triglycerides were in the normal range. Even the Dr. was amazed at what he accomplished on his own without med's and told him he was doing fantastic.

I don't know anything about this diet or how you eat on it, but just wanted to let you know what worked for him. :)

Thanks for the encouragement! If he sticks with this well at home, he'll probably follow something like South Beach when we go out to eat since he likes meat.

I have genetically-based high cholesterol, VERY high cholesterol. I refused to go on the medicine during my baby years, and then the doctor gave me a year to try to get it down and had me come in every two months for bloodwork. Low carb and supplements got it down, but not far enough. I weighed medication and got a second opinion, and went on medication. At some point, some of us have to do that.

My mother had genetically-based high cholesterol and blood pressure, and never would make the changes to control it and claimed that all the medications caused migraines. She now has progessive vascular dementia that might have been prevented or at least delayed. It isn't pretty. So I do what I can to prevent that and nag my brother who hasn't been to a doctor in over five years...

Guest Cindie2dds
I have genetically-based high cholesterol, VERY high cholesterol. I refused to go on the medicine during my baby years, and then the doctor gave me a year to try to get it down and had me come in every two months for bloodwork. Low carb and supplements got it down, but not far enough. I weighed medication and got a second opinion, and went on medication. At some point, some of us have to do that.

My mother had genetically-based high cholesterol and blood pressure, and never would make the changes to control it and claimed that all the medications caused migraines. She now has progessive vascular dementia that might have been prevented or at least delayed. It isn't pretty. So I do what I can to prevent that and nag my brother who hasn't been to a doctor in over five years...

I know medication could be a reality for him. Considering he hasn't been to the doctor in 15 years, we don't even have a baseline yet. :glare: His diet is really horrible. If he's hungry and out and about, he'll get fried gizzards or pizza or a bacon cheeseburger -- no salad, fruit or anything remotely healthy. It took an asthma attack that sent him to the ER for him to actually go to the doctor. I think it was a blessing, since he probably would not have gone to the doctor if he didn't have so much trouble breathing. His diet needs to change even if he has to go on medication, and hopefully it will be a new habit by the time we go back to get it checked again.

By the way, thanks for the warning. :)

I managed to get mine down from 264 to 170 in one year by simply changing my diet and exercising more. I lost 10 lbs too (wish it was more though).

I hardly eat red meat and if I do, I limit it. I eat mostly chicken and pork and of course lots of veggies. Cheese is my "bad" food. I could eat it constantly.

My hubby is also Diabetic, so we all eat a low carb/ low fat diet now. I refused to make different meals for everyone, so when he got the diagnosis of Diabetes last year, we all changed our diets.

Now if I can just get the hubby off the Diabetic meds, life would be awsome. I hate to think of what those are doing to his liver.

:lol: Well, not exactly what I was looking for, but glad it works for you!

I know. :D

Mr. Ellie has sort-of-high cholesterol, but neither diet nor exercise helped keep his low. He had a heart attack and quadruple by-pass when he was 45 (he's the picture of heart health today, PTL). In his case, heart problems run in the family (two uncles died instantly at age 40 of heart attacks; his brother, who had a different father, had his first heart attacks when he was 35, and died 10 years later); our diet was pretty good already so that wasn't an issue, and lots of walking didn't do a thing. He took niacin and, um, something else for many years, but now I don't believe he takes anything and his cholesterol is staying within "safe" limits, although, again, his biggest risk factor is heredity.

I did NutriSystem for about 6 months--low fat and all that stuff. When I went to the doctor for my regular lab work, my total cholesterol was over 300.:001_huh: I went back to Atkins, and my total cholesterol dropped 100 points in two months, with my good cholesterol being several times higher than normal. If I stop doing Atkins for a few months and do low-fat, whole grains, lots of chicken, eat sensibly overall, my cholesterol stays fairly low, but still over 200 (good cholesterol still high, bad cholesterol still low). That appears to be my normal.

It is my understanding that there is no solid proof that eating foods high in cholesterol causes our cholesterol to be high, and it has been demonstrated that eating a diet low in cholesterol does not always result in our having lower cholesterol. I suspect that we don't really know as much about the whole thing as we like to think we do.

My dh had a similar experience to Ellie's. He was diagnosed pre-diabetic and went on a low-carb diet--cut out all sugars and simple carbs--and started exercising more regularly. That brought his tricglycerides way down and lowered his cholesterol. His blood sugars are back to normal. His cholesterol is still a bit high--in the 230 range without meds--and I suspect that may be due to genetics.

Several years ago we did the opposite to address the high triglycerides and cholesterol. We followed Dr Ornish's diet program. While it brought his numbers down they were nowhere near as low as with the low-carb routine he's following now.

Cinder

When my dh had a triple-bypass at 52 followed by my 10 yr old ds being diagnosed with very high cholesterol, I did a lot of research about the subject.

Bottom line (at least what I found) is that if the problem is genetic the likelihood of diet and exercise only bringing the numbers into the acceptable range is nil. (Not to say that someone out there might have been able to do so but the numbers say it's extremely unlikely.) We tried two years to get my ds's numbers in line via nutrition, exercise and "natural" methods and made zero progress.

I then researched statins and teenage boys and decided I'd rather take that risk than have my son on the table or in the morgue (like his grandfather who dropped dead at 52). His numbers are well in the acceptable range now and he's had no discernable side effects after 6 years on the meds.

DH also takes the same statin and has great numbers as well.

I lost my mother this summer due to clogged arteries. She had so much cholesterol that the doc trying to balloon out her artery said it felt like he was hitting bone and he actually heard it crunch when he pushed the probe. Her family doc doesn't check cholesterol...I truly believe that if my mom had taken statins, she'd still be alive today.

So...try the natural things. Do diet and exercise and see if it works. But if it doesn't, I'd do drug therapy.

If you try niacin, by the way, you want time-released niacin. It will be tempting to buy the "no flush" kind, but you won't get the same effect. We used OTC niacin which was about $5/bottle and got the same results as the prescription one that cost $80/month. Time-released...very important!

Edited by Sandy in Indy
To add niacin info.

Guest Cindie2dds

If you try niacin, by the way, you want time-released niacin. It will be tempting to buy the "no flush" kind, but you won't get the same effect. We used OTC niacin which was about $5/bottle and got the same results as the prescription one that cost $80/month. Time-released...very important!

Thanks for this info! I'll look for time-released. At least he's willing to change his diet and give it a try. I'll definitely keep everyone updated. This board is a wealth of information!

Thanks guys!

Guest Cindie2dds

It is my understanding that there is no solid proof that eating foods high in cholesterol causes our cholesterol to be high, and it has been demonstrated that eating a diet low in cholesterol does not always result in our having lower cholesterol. I suspect that we don't really know as much about the whole thing as we like to think we do.

I'm a little concerned that about this too. It will be interesting to see if his numbers move in a few months or not. With vegan and not vegetarian, we naturally avoid all refined carbs. Very little sugar, if any, since we don't eat baked goods other than my bread (it's ground from wheat berries). The carbs we eat would be from brown rice, some bread and fruits and veggies, beans, nuts and legumes; all complex/low GI. If the numbers don't move, it's definitely genetic and medication would be the course he would have to follow. It's really amazing to see how differently each individual body reacts to different foods.

Guest Cindie2dds
My sister lowered her chol. by taking psyllium everyday; she likes Metamucil. I take psyllium pills not for my chol. but for fiber.

Never heard of that either, thanks!

I managed to get mine down from 264 to 170 in one year by simply changing my diet and exercising more. I lost 10 lbs too (wish it was more though).

I hardly eat red meat and if I do, I limit it. I eat mostly chicken and pork and of course lots of veggies. Cheese is my "bad" food. I could eat it constantly.

My hubby is also Diabetic, so we all eat a low carb/ low fat diet now. I refused to make different meals for everyone, so when he got the diagnosis of Diabetes last year, we all changed our diets.

Now if I can just get the hubby off the Diabetic meds, life would be awsome. I hate to think of what those are doing to his liver.

Cheese is his bad food too! His nickname is Wallace ;). It used to be mine also. I am through making different meals too. I became a vegan about two months ago, so now he is going to eat what I eat. He's actually happy to do so now. My weight has be stable and I hope his will do the same. He really needs to lose about 40 pounds. We are the same height and he out weighs me by about 60 pounds. His blood sugar was 97, so I think with the change in his diet it will probably lower naturally. I hope your dh gets off his diabetic meds too.

Thanks for this info! I'll look for time-released. At least he's willing to change his diet and give it a try. I'll definitely keep everyone updated. This board is a wealth of information!

Thanks guys!

I second the time-release, it's what we use. That is also what the baby aspirin is for, to prevent flushing. ;)

Statins such as Lipitor can be life-saving and have a long track record. I believe my dear father is still alive and going strong because of statins over 10 years later. I also believe that Lipitor prevented him from having a major heart attack 7 years later IMHO. I also believe in health diet, exercise and fish oil with the OK of your doctor.

Guest Cindie2dds
I'd try the Eat to Live diet and ask the doctor to check numbers again in 6 weeks. This is near-vegan, but also a good portion raw, and extremely limited on cooking with vegetable oils.

Do you have this book? I've been looking at it and his other book on lowering cholesterol on Amazon. They look very interesting. Thanks.