Menu

How important is your ethnicity to you?

Give me a break, Toni. All I said was it is very hard to really know a place unless you have lived there. I never said she didn't know what she was talking about.....

And I gave MY example....and I did a lot of research also....

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an interesting and colorful family history so I enjoy taking pride in it. My father spent several years putting together informatin on his side and my uncle has worked for years on my mom's side of the family.

I could almost teach history using the notes and stories about people in our family tree and the stuff they did. :)

Well....I think having a bad attitude about your country (when you are living there) isn't such a great thing...I never said she couldn't feel the way she wants.....sorry you took offense....

How about "stop being offensive" for starters?

Mollys--I've received a neg rep for giving an ASKED FOR opinion in the thread about checking computer history--they said "Highly accusatory"--now how does that make sense when the OP SAID she suspected something?

And just to counter--I think assuming we all should have perfectly happy lovely attitude about where we live is highly presumptuous of you.

I didn't really realize the thread has taken such a negative turn while I was typing. I agree a *little* with nearly everyone. I *do* think not being happy with the status quo and working for change is the sign of a patriot. I just also agree with Tammy and furthermore think many Americans have idealized versions of other places in their heads that don't mesh with reality.

you couldn't 'disagree' about certain things about your country...really I didn't, LOL!

Toni just seemed to really dislike the US...and I just found it odd that she hasn't lived in another country....she can feel any way she wants...

Many people will comment about the US having been to other places....

I'll preface this by saying that there is no judgment in what I say. However, I *do* think you are unfairly judging *this* country if you haven't lived in any others. I lived in Germany and traveled Europe long enough to see good and bad. Yes, Germany has socialized medicine and great roads. They pay moms to stay at home, subsidize the trains, force people to recycle and many other things but those *all* come with drawbacks, especially the fact they pay a *huge* portion of their wages in taxes. When we lived there the gas tax was *enormous* and gas was over $6 a gallon and that was 6 years ago. They pay taxes on everything, even their furniture. There is still plenty of poverty and moms who have baby after baby to take advantage of the kindergeld system (*many* of them where we lived starting at 15 or 16 and dropping out of school). They don't have great laws restricting companies. There was a tire company in the town we lived in (not really even near us) and everything we owned was constantly covered in a black film. Living *anywhere* has good and bad points. It's not an assumption to think you don't *really* know if you haven't lived anywhere else, it's a fact. If you want to live elsewhere, that's fine by me. I've loved our experiences of living all over the US and in Europe. You won't hear me telling you not to do it. However, I will agree with Tammy that you can't understand what it means to live in another country unless you've done it.

While I see your point, I still disagree. That you've lived elsewhere only means you've got some experience I don't. That doesn't mean my opinion is invalid simply because I've not lived elsewhere. Nor does it mean I am "unfairly judging" this country.

I can't unfarily judge a country I LIVE IN. I know this country stinks, that may not be your opinion or belief and that's fine--it is mine. And because of that, I CAN say I'd rather live elsewhere.

Now if you want to take up a collection to get me out of here--by all means, please. :) The sooner the better, IMHO. ;)

How about "stop being offensive" for starters?

Ouch. Is this beat up on Tammy day? I didn't read her post as presumptious or offensive. I read it as, 'the grass is not always greener and you might like your country of birth better once you've tried something different.'

I didn't really realize the thread has taken such a negative turn while I was typing.

I'm really bummed that it's taking such a negative turn, because I have really enjoyed hearing from people.

Can we try to keep it from getting locked down? Please?

To quote the not so late, not so great Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

:o

While I see your point, I still disagree. That you've lived elsewhere only means you've got some experience I don't. That doesn't mean my opinion is invalid simply because I've not lived elsewhere. Nor does it mean I am "unfairly judging" this country.

I can't unfarily judge a country I LIVE IN. I know this country stinks, that may not be your opinion or belief and that's fine--it is mine. And because of that, I CAN say I'd rather live elsewhere.

Now if you want to take up a collection to get me out of here--by all means, please. :) The sooner the better, IMHO. ;)

:iagree: and I'm :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5: at that last line. :D

OK, if that's your response, I'm not expressing myself clearly. I'm not saying you have no right to dislike aspects of the country you live in. I'm saying I think it's unfair to say other countries are *better* when you've never lived in them. You might think everywhere stinks and that's you right but it's not fair to make a judgment that someplace else is a better place to live unless you've tried it out.

Have you looked into overseas jobs? We knew tons of ex-pats working overseas when we lived in Europe.

I'm really bummed that it's taking such a negative turn, because I have really enjoyed hearing from people.

Can we try to keep it from getting locked down? Please?

To quote the not so late, not so great Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

:o

Amen! (I would have slung you some rep for this post, but I'm out for the day!)

Ouch. Is this beat up on Tammy day? I didn't read her post as presumptious or offensive. I read it as, 'the grass is not always greener and you might like your country of birth better once you've tried something different.'

One could ask the same of me--but I digress. NO this is not beat up on Tammy day. It's "Tammy stop assuming that we don't know what we are talking about just because we've not lived elsewhere. It isn't a matter of "the grass is greener"; it's a matter of truly feeling I do not belong. That you don't understand that, I can't help. But I DO NOT BELONG HERE and that's that. If I could change it, I would."

Tammy--fine, you weren't meaning to be offensive, but you did come across that way by assuming I've got wanderlust or as it was put "the grass is greener" syndrome.

I DO NOT. I DO NOT. I want out. Out now if I could. I hate Florida and always have and I do not like living in this country any more. And no, I do not think this country will become appealing to me once I've lived elsewhere. There is nothing appealing about this country anymore. And that's just my opinion, my belief.

Ding me all you want. I can't explain it and I don't expect anyone to understand.

Okie Dokie. Your post just sounded really harsh and judgemental, IMO. And, just because you've had a neg. experience living elsewhere doesn't make that "true" for others, KWIM?

Oh, my experience *wasn't* negative, not at ALL. I just see that there is *bad* as well as *good*, just like in the US. I'd take another tour in Germany in a heartbeat, we loved it.

I was in Freeport. The service (doctors, restaurants) industry was terrible. You couldn't buy frozen food from the grocery stores since they let it thaw before putting it in the freezer. There were no major stores to puchase things like a Walmart, Home Depot, etc. There was nothing to do there but go to the beach..... Prices for EVERYTHING were outrageous.

If you walked into a restaurant....I never got the feeling like they gave one crap if you were there, LOL! I found most people in the service industry rude....

Well I will stop now....LOL!

Have you looked into overseas jobs? We knew tons of ex-pats working overseas when we lived in Europe.

(to turn the frown upside down)--- I have looked in to it. DH has considered teaching overseas many times as the rules are not as stringent as they are here(by that I mean they have a different set of rules that DH has already fulfilled).

The only thing holding us here is money. Money to move. That's it. And it would probably be to Canada before it is anywhere else.

(there, now let's all sing happy songs)

Oh, my experience *wasn't* negative, not at ALL. I just see that there is *bad* as well as *good*, just like in the US. I'd take another tour in Germany in a heartbeat, we loved it.

Sorry, I need to remember to use quotes in all my replies, :D

I was referring to Tammy's post about wanting to leave (was it the Bahamas?). Sorry for the confusion.

(to turn the frown upside down)--- I have looked in to it. DH has considered teaching overseas many times as the rules are not as stringent as they are here(by that I mean they have a different set of rules that DH has already fulfilled).

The only thing holding us here is money. Money to move. That's it. And it would probably be to Canada before it is anywhere else.

(there, now let's all sing happy songs)

Would he consider starting out with a DoD teaching job? I believe they will pay for your move, that's how many of the ex-pats *I* knew got there in the first place then moved to different jobs when they had fulfilled their contracts.

It's stop assuming that we don't know what we are talking about just because we've not lived elsewhere. It isn't a matter of "the grass is greener"; it's a matter of truly feeling I do not belong. That you don't understand that, I can't help. But I DO NOT BELONG HERE and that's that. If I could change it, I would."

Two different issues here Toni. One you don't feel like you belong in this country. Got it. Understand it. The other is you are saying you would like it better somewhere else. I think several of us are just saying 'maybe, maybe not' and how can you know for sure if you've never lived any where else?

And FWIW, there are vast differences in ways of life across the country you were born in. Most of FL, for the working class like you and me at least, seems horrid to me. If you hate it there, why not pack up and move to another part of the country? That might be easier to try than leaving the country completely. Teachers are in demand in many parts of the country. Your dh could get a job nearly anywhere.

that most people notice when returning to the states (after being in Freeport, I am talking about our friends)....was it took about 3 times longer to shop in the grocery stores....since you have so many CHOICES. In Freeport.....you didn't have NEAR the variety as you did here!

living abroad is a prerequisite for expressing displeasure with one's place of residence.

To draw a COMPARISON' date=' perhaps. But to just express discontent? I don't see the connection.[/quote']

I may have made this more clear in my other posts (I know this thread is moving fast and I have this stupid laptop keyboard that I can't type on) but I'm not saying you cannot express discontent or disagreement with US policies or whatever. I was responding to GG's assertion that she would like it better somewhere else. Maybe it would stink as well, you never know.

that most people notice when returning to the states (after being in Freeport, I am talking about our friends)....was it took about 3 times longer to shop in the grocery stores....since you have so many CHOICES. In Freeport.....you didn't have NEAR the variety as you did here!

shopping time is inconsequential to me. :) I take a long time no matter where I shop.

Two different issues here Toni. One you don't feel like you belong in this country. Got it. Understand it. The other is you are saying you would like it better somewhere else. I think several of us are just saying 'maybe, maybe not' and how can you know for sure if you've never lived any where else?

And FWIW, there are vast differences in ways of life across the country you were born in. Most of FL, for the working class like you and me at least, seems horrid to me. If you hate it there, why not pack up and move to another part of the country? That might be easier to try than leaving the country completely. Teachers are in demand in many parts of the country. Your dh could get a job nearly anywhere.

Been there done that. I HAVE lived in 2 other states aside from Florida and DH has lived in 6. Neither of us are happy with what we've seen. So yes, I do have a bit of knowledge wence I speak. I'm not just blowing bubbles here. ;) (and none of where we lived overlaps--I've lived 2 different places that he's never lived and he's lived 6 places I've never lived--so that's 8 states total, might not seem like much..)

And as molly's mom said:I just don't think that living abroad is a prerequisite for expressing displeasure with one's place of residence.

Mrs. Mungo:

Would he consider starting out with a DoD teaching job? I believe they will pay for your move, that's how many of the ex-pats *I* knew got there in the first place then moved to different jobs when they had fulfilled their contracts.

I'm not sure what a DoD (dept. of defense?) teaching job is. However, if you've got a link, I'll definitely check it out. ;)

I enjoy seeing where my ancestors come from. It's fun to see how families have migrated through the world and interesting to see how my parent's families have taken similar migratory routes before their paths crossed. It's frustrating to know my grandfather's history is lost due to the fact he was orphaned and there is no paper trail on him, but we do know he was Scottish. I wish I knew more about his past.

I have no real cultural connection with any particular ethnicity. I sometimes wish I did, as our family really doesn't have any traditions to pass down. I feel very connected to the US. We have documentation that the first person in my lineage arrived in the US in 1649 and I have direct ancestors in every major war the US has fought. I feel proud of my connections here, like I belong. That doesn't mean I agree with the government a lot or that I think everything the US does is the right thing. But I love this country and I'm proud to be a part of it, good or bad.

The other is you are saying you would like it better somewhere else. I think several of us are just saying 'maybe, maybe not' and how can you know for sure if you've never lived any where else?

GG has stated before (I didn't count how many times) that this is not a "grass is greener" type thing. It's just how we feel. And, I personally believe that we would feel much more at peace being in the country that we feel "called" to, than having to stay where we are. Of course there is always a "possibility" that there "may" be things there that would drive us insane. Circumstances are circumstantial after all :D I find it un-necessary to hear from everyone that we "may" be wrong. I'm not "offended" by it, unless it sounds plain rude (you need a better attitude! type posts), but it's grating on the nerves none-the-less.

Analogy: PSing family insists that you never know if HSing is "better" than PSing unless you put the kids in PS. You just don't "know" what you are missing by sending the kids to school unless you've tried it. You don't "know" that homeschooling is best unless you've actually had then enrolled in a PS as a comparison. (and I'm not interested in debating Whether or not anyone thinks my analogy "fits" the circumstances or not. Of COURSE it's not the "same", LOL, it's an *analogy*)

Tammy's assertion that it was somehow "un-American" (my term, not hers) to "have a bad attitude about your country when living here." (her words)

I said that to make an accurate comparison, of course. But not to express an opinion.

But apparently I was being "highly combative." I'm certain I've never been characterized as such in my life! :tongue_smilie:

I want out. Out now if I could. I hate Florida and always have and I do not like living in this country any more. And no, I do not think this country will become appealing to me once I've lived elsewhere. There is nothing appealing about this country anymore. And that's just my opinion, my belief.

I guess my question would be, where do you think you belong? And how do you know it if you have never been there? Just asking, no negative thoughts flying your way.

I'm not sure what a DoD (dept. of defense?) teaching job is. However, if you've got a link, I'll definitely check it out. ;)

DoD is Department of Defense, yes.

teaching jobs overseas:

http://www.state.gov/www/about_state/schools/oteaching.html

http://www.state.gov/m/a/os/c16899.htm

teaching in dodea (department of defense education activity) schools:

http://www.dodea.edu/offices/hr/onlineapplication/default.htm

If your hubby stays in the dodea system he'd be eligible for federal retirement, nothing to sneeze at. Plus, (it depends on the Status of Forces Agreement, branch of the military and particular post but..) at some posts/bases you're eligible for perks like use of the commissary, gas coupons (so you aren't paying the gas tax) and such.

Only when I moved to England did I realise that being black was something different. But it didn't matter much because I had a very protective family. When I moved to Glasgow to do my undergrad, and I was by myself for the first time ever with no family or friends close by, then you toughen up pretty quickly. That was nearly 20 years ago though, so things are probably a lot different now.

When I went to Glasgow and Inverness 2 years ago with my now 12 year old ds, it looked a little bit like London. And I was pleasantly suprised.

My kids especially my 7 yr old twins are very innocent though when it comes to race. We were reading a history book a few days ago and they were talking about how the black people had been slaves. One of the poor sweet things asked who were the black people they were talking about. And my 12 year old told him 'us'. And the darling said ' But we are not black, we are brown'. And I thought to myself, "Go out in the real world in a few years and all that innocence will soon disappear". Of course, if he was at public school, it would have long since disappeared.

In the doctor's office a few days ago, 1 of the twins was asked,'What part of Africa are you from?' And he said" I am not from Africa, I am from America! My parents are from Sierra Leone, a country in Africa."

To answer the question, I never thought about ethnicity before. I was like my twins. Now, I think about it because it is a part of the society I live in and it gets forced down on you regularly whether you want to think about it or not. And I am proud of who I am and I am teaching my kids to be proud of who they are.

Elmeryl

Tammy's assertion that it was somehow "un-American" (my term' date=' not hers) to "have a bad attitude about your country when living here." (her words)

I said that to make an accurate comparison, of course. But not to express an opinion.

But apparently I was being "highly combative." I'm certain I've never been characterized as such in my life! :tongue_smilie:[/quote']

Oh, I have, HA! I don't necessarily consider it a bad thing, either. But I'm not the one handing out bad rep because people disagree with me ;)

I guess my question would be, where do you think you belong? And how do you know it if you have never been there? Just asking, no negative thoughts flying your way.

Scroll up (or page one)--I've already said where.. ;) Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada.. somewhere around those parts.

And how would I know? You just do. It's that simple. A simple analogy would be "One just knows when God has placed the right person in their life". If I ever make it happen, I WILL know. The feeling will be different enough for me to know.

DoD is Department of Defense, yes.

teaching jobs overseas:

http://www.state.gov/www/about_state/schools/oteaching.html

http://www.state.gov/m/a/os/c16899.htm

teaching in dodea (department of defense education activity) schools:

http://www.dodea.edu/offices/hr/onlineapplication/default.htm

If your hubby stays in the dodea system he'd be eligible for federal retirement, nothing to sneeze at. Plus, (it depends on the Status of Forces Agreement, branch of the military and particular post but..) at some posts/bases you're eligible for perks like use of the commissary, gas coupons (so you aren't paying the gas tax) and such.

Doesn't he have to be armed forces? Or is this one of those "military civilian" jobs? He wouldn't make it in the armed forces because he's asthmatic. But civilian--that's what this is, right?

And the darling said ' But we are not black, we are brown'. And I thought to myself, "Go out in the real world in a few years and all that innocence will soon disappear". Of course, if he was at public school, it would have long since disappeared.

In the doctor's office a few days ago, 1 of the twins was asked,'What part of Africa are you from?' And he said" I am not from Africa, I am from America! My parents are from Sierra Leone, a country in Africa."

And I am proud of who I am and I am teaching my kids to be proud of who they are.

That brought tears to my eyes, Elmeryl. Would that all children had such innocence about race in general. You are doing a wonderful job...what sweet kids! :)

as American. He said he thought his teacher was going to kiss him. :patriot:

Yes, we're proud of our heritage but we "define" ourselves as American. Our Irish (and German and Scot) ancestors came here to become American, not to stay Irish.

Without the melting pot, I feel we are weaker as a country.

:boxing_smiley: Don't get me started about hyphenated Americans! :rant:

Doesn't he have to be armed forces? Or is this one of those "military civilian" jobs? He wouldn't make it in the armed forces because he's asthmatic. But civilian--that's what this is, right?

No, he doesn't have to be in the military. I don't believe any of the teachers in dodea schools are active duty military. It's a civilian job with federal perks. The military will usually move your household goods, one of your cars and all of that.

I completely agree with you. One set of my grandparents came to the US in the '30's. I have no cultural identification with where they came from. I have almost nothing in common with my foreign cousins. My other set of grandparent arrived in the US prior to the Civil War. That side of my family never identifies as something-american. My children have asked me about our ethnicity. I tell them where their ancestors came from, but then emphasize the fact that we are simply "Americans". Being of an some ethnicity in America is the equivalent of cheering for a sports team. It can be fun and interesting, but it has little meaning for most in reality.

Are there no ethnic groups in Sierra Leone? I know of other countries in Africa that have numerous ethnic groups (some get along and some don't). I wonder when one becomes aware, is it when you are the minority in an area, or if there is conflict, or....? I remember a friend of ours, from Italy, who talked of the regional differences and groups within groups, separated by reginal dialects and customs. He would say, those (insert area group), I can't understand what they say. Yet, they were all speaking Italian.

I wonder were we are most aware of ethnic differences. Is it "melting pot" (more like a stew) nations like the US, Indonesia, or even Great Britain?

Honestly, I don't spend a ton of time thinking about it. God, in his infinite wisdom, chose to plunk me right here and so by birth, I am an American citizen. Are there better places to live? I don't know. Would I rather live somewhere else? Not really. Do I agree with all things "American"? Of course not but it is my American heritage that gives me the freedom to publically disagree. If I had to choose one identity over another I would more closely align myself with my religious identity versus my ethnic one.

I love learning about heritage but mostly because it makes history come alive. It was much more interesting for my daughter to study the Trail of Tears after looking at a photograph of our relative who was Cherokee. It was more interestig to study the Pilgrims when she discovered she was related to Constance Hopkins. There is no "pride" in that knowledge. Rather it made history a real story of a real person's life. That's all.

BTW, I didn't answer the other thread. I'm a mutt.

I have been in the States for 10+ years and we just received our green cards this fall. It was a very emotional day and to my surprise I was teary (OK I cried).

That said, I always want to know where people here are from. It makes no sense to me when people say that well, they are Americans (I am now telling you my feelings and my perspectives). Well, you are American...what does that mean? To me, ethnicity is an ingrate part of one's make-up.

I was born in Denmark to a Danish mother and a Syrian father and did not know growing up that I had not been born a Danish citizen! I was a Dane, growing up with the knowledge that my family's roots went beyond the Danish borders and thus was born with openess to other cultures that many Danish kids did not have back then.

Well, in my teens I converted to Islam and in one instance I was suddenly NOT perceived as a Dane anymore (to people on the streets). Now, that was eye-opening and was the definitive for me that I did not want to raise kids in such a small, closed country. To me the world was there.

So I married and went to Japan where we lived for 7 years. In almost Paradise, materialistically speaking, crimewise etc. As a child in DK teachers would say that we kids never knew how good we had it...Well, I loved my life in DK, but certainly the world has tons more to offer!!

We then came to the States and here life is different. Opportunities are more available and depending on where you live your kids might not have to endure discrimination based upon their religious views (hint, do not live in NH as a Muslim!!!).

It is essential to me that my kids speak Danish as well as Arabic. My whole soul grew up with Danish, its language, customs, mannerisms etc. while my dad (and my husband) is Syrian. To me, it is an honor to enrich the country of America with citizens who have an international attitude to life and to humanity, who speak many languages so they hopefully can build bridges all their lives, to raise kids who understand that not every one is as privileged as they are right now. Them knowing their heritage is part of the tapestry I want them to be built of. So while I am looked upon as an outsider in DK (well, OK now there are tons more Muslims and Danish converts) and while I do not belong in Syria, then I am making a place for myself here in the States which encompasses being a part of the local community and helping others. We pay our taxes and we try to make a difference with our interactions and that to me is being an American.

As a mixed breed, I feel a bit disconnected from my "heritage" as it were. I've always admired those who could say, "I'm French, or I'm African." I can't, so I don't hold much stock in the mix that is me. That said, knowing that there is a Scottish plaid and a crest which by father's ancestors claimed as their own, and that my paternal grandmother was a descendent of Jefferson -- well that makes me feel like I've got some roots, you know?

char124.gif

Doran

I am Creole and there are lots of other tribes. But we were all Sierra Leoneans. But I left Sierra Leone a long time ago as a teenager and so it is a bit different for me. I have lots of good memories growing up though and I was really sad when I went there 4 years ago with all 4 kids after nearly 20 years of civil war to see what was left of the country. And it was a war that had roots in ethnicity.

Elmeryl