Menu

Interesting Ways to Learn (memorize) Math Facts?

Please, for the sake of my daughter (okay, and myself :)), does anyone have some more ...entertaining ways to learn math facts --that is, more entertaining than flash cards? Or am I simply to follow the Routine of the Generations Past and ensure that my daughter will need a calculator to add numbers greater than three, live with an unbalanced checkbook, and need years of therapy to deal with a nagging mother and generalized math anxiety? :svengo:

She understands the concepts, does her work accurately, and has a wonderful comprehension of how things work, but she is sooooo slow with her math. I am attempting to point out that if she simply had the facts in her head, she wouldn't have to take so long, but on the other hand, I've been remiss in working with her on this. Please tell me there's a better way than I remember when I was eight (my memories involve flashcards and a nagging mother...).

One idea that I use with dd7:

We roll a ball (indoors) or bounce a ball (outdoors) while I quiz her on her math facts.

Great idea!

My son did well with time test's. I picked up a dry-earse mat at Target that had the facts pre-printed on it. He never got very fast, but helped to remember.

We've done hopscotch. The kids enjoyed that. I laid out numbers from 9 - 18 for the 9's facts. I had a pile of number cards that we each drew from. We would add the number we drew to 9 and then throw our marker on that number and play hopscotch. That was a lot of fun.

I've also printed them out on a sheet of paper and after the kids answered the facts I let the kids decorate the paper with glitter, markers, pom poms, etc...

We enjoy online math fact games.

I downloaded math songs off of amazon. I think I have all the facts for +, - x and /.

Instead of flashcards I usually chant them with the kids and then give them the problems orally and out of order. I use a dry erase board to remember which ones I've done.

We also bought the RightStart math games to play.

Well we had a similar situation about 6 months ago. I used timed math drills a for about two months and that did the trick. Not fun, not interesting, but very effective. After he was able to do it lickety-split, I started giving him daily non-timed sheets with less problems to keep those skills up.

My children absolutely fall apart when they are timed. They are like this for the drill sheets and games. What drill sheets did you use?

I used these:

http://www.math-drills.com/

I won't say there weren't tears. But my son learned in a hurry that attitude can mean the difference between success and failure.

1. Crying doesn't get work done.

2. Nothing happens when you don't finish the worksheet. Nobody loses a limb nor does anything explode.

3. Being frustrated is OK

You know, I heard the arguments against doing timed drills but honestly, when he finally finished the worksheet in a good time he was SO PROUD of himself. That kind of feeling of self accomplishment can't be bought.

Timezattack -- http://www.bigbrainz.com/

We found it a couple of years ago when DD10 was then in third grade -- we are using it this year with the twins - I have to plead with them to STOP -- that's how much they love it. They are now (after one week of using it alot) almost intuitively/instantly answering multiplication problems.

The first few levels are free and you can spend all your time on those levels - we never went past that the first time we used it.

Just yesterday I upgraded for $39.99 for the twins as DS is (:hurray:) blowing through it now.

I have also recommended it to parents of my students when I was teaching in the classroom.

If you try it, let me know what you think of it -- I'm surprised that more folks haven't heard of it.

I used these:

http://www.math-drills.com/

I won't say there weren't tears. But my son learned in a hurry that attitude can mean the difference between success and failure.

1. Crying doesn't get work done.

2. Nothing happens when you don't finish the worksheet. Nobody loses a limb nor does anything explode.

3. Being frustrated is OK

You know, I heard the arguments against doing timed drills but honestly, when he finally finished the worksheet in a good time he was SO PROUD of himself. That kind of feeling of self accomplishment can't be bought.

Ok, so how did you do the drills? Did you set a time limit or did you just see how long it took and then eventually it got quicker? Did you repeat the same sheets for a certain number of days? I'm curious because I'd like to do it again but the information that my kids know seems to fall out of their heads during timed drills. There isn't usually tears and fits but they can't remember their facts. They freeze up.

Kelly

How do you play this?

War - each player turns over two cards and performs the operation. High score wins. As the teacher, you want to hear the strategy the learner is using so that you ensure the learner knows the number bonds and is not stuck at the beginning strategies such as counting up from one.

A great description of all the variations of war is here:

http://letsplaymath.wordpress.com/2006/12/29/the-game-that-is-worth-1000-worksheets/#comment-16592

We found it a couple of years ago when DD10 was then in third grade -- we are using it this year with the twins - I have to plead with them to STOP -- that's how much they love it. They are now (after one week of using it alot) almost intuitively/instantly answering multiplication problems.

The first few levels are free and you can spend all your time on those levels - we never went past that the first time we used it.

Just yesterday I upgraded for $39.99 for the twins as DS is (:hurray:) blowing through it now.

I have also recommended it to parents of my students when I was teaching in the classroom.

If you try it, let me know what you think of it -- I'm surprised that more folks haven't heard of it.

This is very cool! I had never heard of it. I just downloaded the free version and tested it out.

Thanks for sharing!! :)

Ok, so how did you do the drills? Did you set a time limit or did you just see how long it took and then eventually it got quicker? Did you repeat the same sheets for a certain number of days? I'm curious because I'd like to do it again but the information that my kids know seems to fall out of their heads during timed drills. There isn't usually tears and fits but they can't remember their facts. They freeze up.

Kelly

For example, I used this sheet from the addition side.

Vertical w/ Some Regrouping 100

I set the timer for 5 minutes. At first there were fits. There was mental blocks. There was frustration. Lots of discussion about attitude in a very gentle way. Then there was one day where he was able to see that nothing happened if he did not finish in the time. If he did not finish we just moved on to the next thing. After he was able to control some of the feelings of frustration he was able to finish the worksheet in much less time that I gave. He was able to make the connection that being relaxed and having a "can-do" attitude made all the difference. We keep his best timed sheet up on the wall by his work area as a reminder of how attitude is key.

Secondly, we sometimes have discussions (try and try again) about a quote used by someone here (Ray) in their tag line. Basically, it states:

If you want to succeed, you have to double your failure rates. -Thomas Watson

But, there are other very good ideas listed in this thread. I am of mind that I don't need to make every task the kids do fun (big ole mean mom that I am) and I realize this doesn't work for every family.

For example, I used this sheet from the addition side.

Vertical w/ Some Regrouping 100

I set the timer for 5 minutes. At first there were fits. There was mental blocks. There was frustration. Lots of discussion about attitude in a very gentle way. Then there was one day where he was able to see that nothing happened if he did not finish in the time. If he did not finish we just moved on to the next thing. After he was able to control some of the feelings of frustration he was able to finish the worksheet in much less time that I gave. He was able to make the connection that being relaxed and having a "can-do" attitude made all the difference. We keep his best timed sheet up on the wall by his work area as a reminder of how attitude is key.

Secondly, we sometimes have discussions (try and try again) about a quote used by someone here (Ray) in their tag line. Basically, it states:

If you want to succeed, you have to double your failure rates. -Thomas Watson

But, there are other very good ideas listed in this thread. I am of mind that I don't need to make every task the kids do fun (big ole mean mom that I am) and I realize this doesn't work for every family.

So for you the 5 minutes wasn't a big deal? If he didn't finish then he didn't finish and it was fine? You just kept going until one day he finished in 5 minutes then in less as time went on? Maybe that is part of our problem. Maybe I'm too attached to the idea of them finishing in that amount of time. I guess I'm afraid if I just go on to the next thing they will learn that they don't have to finish and they will never finish.

So for you the 5 minutes wasn't a big deal? If he didn't finish then he didn't finish and it was fine? You just kept going until one day he finished in 5 minutes then in less as time went on?

Yep. I didn't say anything except to remind him that 1. Crying gets no work done 2. (the rest what I posted above).

He was frustrated enough without my adding to it. He did understand that the goal was to finish in the time allotted and that I expected him to at some point achieve this goal.

This is very cool! I had never heard of it. I just downloaded the free version and tested it out.

Thanks for sharing!! :)

I Know! This is the best! I have to set up a schedule for the twins so they each have opportunity to 'play...' :lol::lol::lol:....they are learning mulitplication facts and they think they are playing:lol::lol::lol: - I love it.

You're welcome.

As for 'multiplication war,' the consumer in me purchased a set of 'multiplication war' cards at Barnes and Noble (along with Division and Multiplication flash cards, and Division War cards)....just doing my part to keep the economy in Northern Virginia in the black!:D

My son also loved timez attack.

Whenever we play a game where you keep score (Quiddler, scrabble, etc., etc.), we make him keep score for everyone.

We did some flash cards, but not that much.

Counting by n is good, though he would often use addition instead of memorizing multiplication. Still, it's good addition practice. :)

When my son was first learning his multiplication tables, I just let him refer to the multiplication table as often as he needed to. Eventually he just memorized it.

Yep. I didn't say anything except to remind him that 1. Crying gets no work done 2. (the rest what I posted above).

He was frustrated enough without my adding to it. He did understand that the goal was to finish in the time allotted and that I expected him to at some point achieve this goal.

Great, thanks! I'll give timed drills a shot again.

Kelly

War - each player turns over two cards and performs the operation. High score wins. As the teacher, you want to hear the strategy the learner is using so that you ensure the learner knows the number bonds and is not stuck at the beginning strategies such as counting up from one.

A great description of all the variations of war is here:

http://letsplaymath.wordpress.com/2006/12/29/the-game-that-is-worth-1000-worksheets/#comment-16592

:iagree:

Addition War is the "game of the moment" at our house. It's a great way to have some fun and provide an equivalent to drill (without the anxiety producing fallout of timed tests).

I let some correct answers "fly", but for many I too want my son to explain his strategy for getting the answer. Which often involved "re-grouping" one number to to ten.

So if the cards are 8 and 6, he would explain 8 needs 2 units to become a ten. 6 gives up two units and becomes a 4. One Ten and 4 units is: 14.

This way the child demonstrates they understand what's behind the "math facts", has a strategy for problem solving and mental math, and also develops the lower (but useful) cognitive skill of having fast "math fact" recall.

Bill

1. We play the card game War with two cards (for addition, and I guess multiplication, too--we're not there yet.) You both put down 2 cards and whichever person's cards add up to the most wins that round. (oops--just read that other people have already posted this idea.)

2. We play Tux of math command. It's a free game online that you download. The math facts float down out of the sky and you have to shoot them with the right answer. It starts with easy addition all the way to dividing negative numbers. (You can pick which level you want.)

Here's the link.

Flashcards are not often fun, but I found a way to make it a challenge for dd and she is doing better. I have a big stack of cards of all the add/subt facts she is supposed to know and I hold them for her to answer. I set a timer for 3 minutes. If she gets the problem right, it goes in a stack on the table, if she gets it wrong, she must give the correct answer, but the card goes back in the stack in my hand. After the 3 min, I count up the # of cards she got right. She has had fun trying each day to get a new high score. With the timer, she knows it will not be endless and she has some motivation to do well. Of course I also told her that if she doesn't get a certain amount we will do another 3 min. (only had to do that once so far).

Seconding "School House Rock"

I also found a Hap Palmer CD at my library that is a very comotose song-form to teach math facts. It's boring, and very hypnotic-like ... definitely not a hit in the car, like School House Rock is! But it made for awesome background music, and proved surprisingly effective. My then-3 year old could recite them perfectly from just being in the room while we played that CD.

My son enjoys www.honorpoints.com for quick review and drills. He asks to do it, despite not loving math.

Math bingo. I bought it for $3 at Ross or TJ Maxx, but could easily be improvised/made at home.

We use 9's Down Math Facts. These are timed drills, but they are a bit different in that they start with the harder facts, 9's, first. They start with only a few facts. After the child gets 100% twice in a row, they move on to the next worksheet, which adds a fact.

I think our success, is due to the fact that I tell her the answer, if she asks. The first time there is a new fact she will ask what 9+9=. The next time she asks what did you say 9+9=? The next time she asks, but says never mind I remember. It may more asking than that, but not much. Before I started telling her the answer, there was much frustration and counting on fingers, and no memorization.

They have to finish two worksheets in a row, within time, without my help, and score 100% to move on. This has not been a problem and we are seeing great progress.

Melinda