Menu

Reform curriculum for Bible and History?

Wouldn't Veritas Press do this?

Carrie:-)

I just checked out their site and didn't see anything that indicated them to be reformed. If you go to the Christian Liberty Press website you can click on their church website which declares them to be reformed and if you order a catalog you will see Calvin, Spurgeon, and God's providence throughout. :001_smile: I would recommend History for Little Pilgrims and for Bible I will tell you that Morning Bells and Little Pillows devotionals by Frances Ridley Havergal can't be beat! Wow!

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Little+Pillows+-+Goodnight+Thoughts+for+the+Little+Ones/030581/1257827415-443880

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Morning+Bells+-+Waking+Thoughts+for+Little+Ones/030583/1257827415-443880

I'm also looking into Leading Little Ones to God and First Catechism also by Christian Liberty Press, but I don't have them yet so I can't vouch for them.

Well, ok... I was just "asking" but I'm pretty sure they are... The Reformed Pastor in town uses their materials, and some won't use it... because the "Reformed" parts of the curriculum leak through:-)

Also, SongsforSaplings.com has great Q&A which are from a catechism book. The book is OOP but the songs come with the written out questions. These are JUST GREAT! My son just listens in the car... and knows about 70 Questions and answers from the catechism off this...

Carrie

Edited by NayfiesMama

Which one teaches from a reformed/calvinist position for younger children?

Mostly interested in Bible and History.

Suffer Little Children is a Bible program that teaches from a Reformed/Calvinist perspective. Suffer Little Children is the 1st-3rd grade Bible curriculum, Show Me Thy Ways is the 4th-6th.

CBD sells this or you can buy direct from the publisher.

Reformed Free Publishing Association

Wouldn't Veritas Press do this?

Carrie:-)

Having taught VP history for 7 years in a classical school, I can say, yes, VP curriculum has a distinctly Reformed perspective. I did not teach that Bible curriculum (used Christian Schools International Bible curriculum--also Reformed but not set up for homeschooling), but from what I have seen of the VP Bible curriculum, it is also distinctly Reformed.

Covenant Home Curriculum is Reformed and offers Bible and history modules.

I believe Veritas and CLP are both reformed Presbyterian. This affects their view of eschatology which is post-millenial. That viewpoint leads to the conclusion that Christians must influence the culture politically in order to prepare the world for Christ's return. (That is a huge over-simplification but it does play into the conclusions these curriculums reach.)

We are "reformed" Baptist and have a much different eschatological viewpoint. I say "reformed" because even our view of church history varies greatly with the standard Reformed view. We believe in the five points of Calvinism (aka the Doctrines of Grace) but disagree with much of his other teaching. We are dispensationalists and pre-millenial in our eschatology. This affects our daily behavior. I do not feel that I need to change the political landscape - I vote my conscience and trust God to "turn the heart of the king whithersoever he will." (Prov. 21:1) I believe the way to affect the moral climate in this country is to preach the gospel, not place Christians in office (no objection to Christians being in office - just don't think that is a Christian's primary focus).

I have yet to find a "reformed" Baptist curriculum - many Arminian Baptist - no "reformed" Baptist for elementary or middle school. I used CLP and found that to be adequate. When we got to high school we switched to Notgrass and love it.

TMI? Anyway, I hope that helps.

I believe Veritas and CLP are both reformed Presbyterian. This affects their view of eschatology which is post-millenial. That viewpoint leads to the conclusion that Christians must influence the culture politically in order to prepare the world for Christ's return. (That is a huge over-simplification but it does play into the conclusions these curriculums reach.)

Being reformed and Presbyterian and having used VP history for 7 years, I do need to say that this is not entirely correct. Post-millennial eschatology is not the predominant view among reformed Presbyterians, nor is it a main thrust of the VP history curriculum. In fact, I did not notice anything specifically post-millennial in the VP history curriculum. VP history curriculum focuses on the sovereignty of God over all of human history, especially in the grammar level courses.

For the record, I am a communicant member in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church and hold an amillennial view of eschatology, which is the most prevalent view among the reformed (Presbyterian and continental) people I know. We do believe that Christians ought to be agents of transformation in the world, but that is the natural result of living an authentic Christian life rather than a campaign to prepare the world for Christ's return.

Being reformed and Presbyterian and having used VP history for 7 years, I do need to say that this is not entirely correct. Post-millennial eschatology is not the predominant view among reformed Presbyterians, nor is it a main thrust of the VP history curriculum. In fact, I did not notice anything specifically post-millennial in the VP history curriculum. VP history curriculum focuses on the sovereignty of God over all of human history, especially in the grammar level courses.

For the record, I am a communicant member in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church and hold an amillennial view of eschatology, which is the most prevalent view among the reformed (Presbyterian and continental) people I know. We do believe that Christians ought to be agents of transformation in the world, but that is the natural result of living an authentic Christian life rather than a campaign to prepare the world for Christ's return.

I agree with this assessment of Veritas. I didn't notice the things Kathleen noticed, but I haven't used all of the materials so I may have missed something. Either way, it's a reasonable choice for Reformed Christians who'd like to incorporate that theological focus into their homeschool.

We've used Show Me Thy Ways for Bible for several years, and though it seems both workbook-ish and "lite" to me, my kids have enjoyed it and continue to ask for the next book in the series. My kids get a lot of heavy theology through other avenues, so it's ok.

History has been another story. I have yet to find just what I want, and have resigned myself to just "getting by". I'd like to find something that has an engaging/interesting text, supplemental books that would be entertaining as well as informative, mapping, includes a list of movies that would pertain to each era in order to bring the history alive a bit, uses primary documents when possible, and has simple, uncomplicated project/activity suggestions. If it could include a bit of art appreciation in connection with the history, that would be a plus. I want it from a solidly Reformed perspective on history and, here's the catch...I want it to be "open and go", as in, if I'm busy, it doesn't slow my child down--they can keep going without me. I'd pay a lot for that, just haven't found it. :glare:

Suffer Little Children is a Bible program that teaches from a Reformed/Calvinist perspective. Suffer Little Children is the 1st-3rd grade Bible curriculum, Show Me Thy Ways is the 4th-6th.

CBD sells this or you can buy direct from the publisher.

Reformed Free Publishing Association

You can also often find them "used-in new condition" from Amazon.

I can't get over that title for a Bible program though--"Suffer Little Children" heh, heh!:tongue_smilie:

ETA: And, yes, I *get* the real meaning of that title, but it still cracks me up in a rather juvenile way!

For the record, I...hold an amillennial view of eschatology, which is the most prevalent view among the reformed (Presbyterian and continental) people I know. We do believe that Christians ought to be agents of transformation in the world, but that is the natural result of living an authentic Christian life rather than a campaign to prepare the world for Christ's return.

:iagree:

I find very few who hold to a post-millennial viewpt.

Our family are not dispensationalists neither do I believe that all Reformed Baptists hold to that view.

I assumed the biggest difference btwn Reformed Baptist and Reformed Presby. was their views on water baptism, not their eschatology. Paedobaptism versus Credobaptism? Views on eschatology (rapture, millenialims) and other views (Dispies and Covenant Theology) vary widely within Reformed circles. If Reformed Baptist have distinct doctrinal positions on these issues, can someone link to a doctrinal statement?

Edited by Daisy

Julie,

I had the same problem you mentioned, but I found Notgrass American History and am absolutely in love with it for high school. It is "open and go", two of the main texts are Documents in US History and World's Famous Speeches, of which the student reads at least 5-10 entries per week! There are critical writing assignments, and it includes Bible and Literature, historical fiction to read, movies to watch, and so much more, all in a simple textbook.

My son now in 11th grade, who never enjoyed history no matter what I tried, is really eating this up this year.

However, I have to add a disclaimer: I have no idea if the Notgrass family is Reformed and what perspective this is written from, but I suspect it may be Reformed as it seems to have that "flavor". I am Presbyterian and Reformed myself, holding to an amillenial view.

I'm using Heart of Dakota and I can't say it's very "specifically" reformed. Definitely a *providential* view of God's hand in history. I think it will line up with our Reformed Baptist beliefs just fine, and I am supplementing with more (church history and catechism) as well. We will likely see more how it plays out in HoD when the next manual -Resurrection to Reformation - comes out next summer.

We are "reformed" Baptist and have a much different eschatological viewpoint. I say "reformed" because even our view of church history varies greatly with the standard Reformed view. We believe in the five points of Calvinism (aka the Doctrines of Grace) but disagree with much of his other teaching. We are dispensationalists and pre-millenial in our eschatology. This affects our daily behavior. I do not feel that I need to change the political landscape - I vote my conscience and trust God to "turn the heart of the king whithersoever he will." (Prov. 21:1) I believe the way to affect the moral climate in this country is to preach the gospel, not place Christians in office (no objection to Christians being in office - just don't think that is a Christian's primary focus).

I have yet to find a "reformed" Baptist curriculum - many Arminian Baptist - no "reformed" Baptist for elementary or middle school. I used CLP and found that to be adequate. When we got to high school we switched to Notgrass and love it.

TMI? Anyway, I hope that helps.

You might look at the children's materials from Bethlehem Baptist/Desiring God Ministries for a reformed Baptist position. I know many people who have good things to say about the Sunday School materials.

Well, ok... I was just "asking" but I'm pretty sure they are... The Reformed Pastor in town uses their materials, and some won't use it... because the "Reformed" parts of the curriculum leak through:-)

Also, SongsforSaplings.com has great Q&A which are from a catechism book. The book is OOP but the songs come with the written out questions. These are JUST GREAT! My son just listens in the car... and knows about 70 Questions and answers from the catechism off this...

Carrie

Sorry if I came across wrong....I just meant I checked their site and didn't see anything that said they were reformed, but obviously I am mistaken. My apologies. :001_smile:

:iagree:

I find very few who hold to a post-millennial viewpt.

Our family are not dispensationalists neither do I believe that all Reformed Baptists hold to that view.

I assumed the biggest difference btwn Reformed Baptist and Reformed Presby. was their views on water baptism, not their eschatology. Paedobaptism versus Credobaptism? Views on eschatology (rapture, millenialims) and other views (Dispies and Covenant Theology) vary widely within Reformed circles. If Reformed Baptist have distinct doctrinal positions on these issues, can someone link to a doctrinal statement?

I'm postmil and I thought all other Reformed Presbyterians were, too. I guess it just depends on the crowd you run in. :D

I'm postmil and I thought all other Reformed Presbyterians were, too. I guess it just depends on the crowd you run in. :D

Probably. :D I curious if there is a doctrinal position by either group (RPresy or RBapt) as to their eschatological views?

Hey, I'm still learning. I'm a recovering Pentecostal. :lol:

Which one teaches from a reformed/calvinist position for younger children?

Mostly interested in Bible and History.

I love, love love

The Child's Story Bible by Catherine F. Vos

Training Hearts Teaching Minds by Starr Meade

This year we are also using Christian Liberty Press Bible Materials.

In the past we used (and liked) the first book in Classical Academic Press's "God's Great Covenant" (formerly called "Bible for Children"). (The second volume wasn't available until this year, so we might use it with our youngers in the future.)

In the past, we used Veritas Press materials, and I am not a fan.

HTH!

If Reformed Baptist have distinct doctrinal positions on these issues, can someone link to a doctrinal statement?

Our church follows the London Baptist Confession of 1689.

Ch. 7 is Of God's Covenant. Ch. 29 is on Baptism. I can't think of a specific eschatology doctrinal resource for you at the moment, but this Reformed Baptist is certainly NOT dispensational or pre-mil! LOL! In all honesty, I don't think you could be reformed and dispensational. I think the two concepts are mutually exclusive.

Edited by Heather in WI

Has anyone used Leading Little ones to God or a Child's first catechism, but by Christian Liberty Press? I know Leading Little ones is also on Amazon with a different cover.....not sure if it's the same or not.

Ooh! I forgot about Leading Little Ones to God. We really like that one, too. I think they're the same book, but could be wrong.

We don't use CLP's catechism, but our youngers (4-6) memorize the Catechism for Young Children and our olders (7+) memorize the Westminster Shorter Catechism.

Just wanted to clarify my statement about Veritas Press and post-millenialism. Doug Wilson is definitely post-mil (http://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Misplaced-Christs-Kingdom-Earth/dp/1591280516/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257952613&sr=8-1). He wrote or at least edited all the Ominibus books. Veritas Press is his brain child. Knowing this, I stayed away from Veritas. I have never used it, obviously, so I don't know the details about the curriculum. I just eliminated it from my list of possible curriculum choices based on what I know about Doug Wilson. I don't dislike Wilson personally (I've even quoted him in my siggie) - I just don't agree with his eschatology and didn't want to have to tweak anything if I could find something more user friendly for my purposes.

Btw, you can believe in the Doctrines of Grace (5 points of Calvinism) and be pre-mil.

I love, love love

Training Hearts Teaching Minds by Starr Meade

Our church follows the London Baptist Confession of 1689.

Ch. 7 is Of God's Covenant. Ch. 29 is on Baptism. I can't think of a specific eschatology doctrinal resource for you at the moment, but this Reformed Baptist is certainly NOT dispensational or pre-mil! LOL! In all honesty, I don't think you could be reformed and dispensational. I think the two concepts are mutually exclusive.

Our church also follows the Baptist confession of 1689. I went and looked up "Training Hearts Teaching Minds" on Amazon due to your recommendation, but read a review that stated this book is a Presbyterian catechism, not a Baptist one. The reviewer says this book teaches infant baptism and partaking of the Lord's Supper as being "effective for salvation." Neither of which I agree with. How did you deal with these topics when they came up in this book? Thanks

Just wanted to clarify my statement about Veritas Press and post-millenialism. Doug Wilson is definitely post-mil (http://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Misplaced-Christs-Kingdom-Earth/dp/1591280516/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257952613&sr=8-1). He wrote or at least edited all the Ominibus books. Veritas Press is his brain child. Knowing this, I stayed away from Veritas. I have never used it, obviously, so I don't know the details about the curriculum. I just eliminated it from my list of possible curriculum choices based on what I know about Doug Wilson. I don't dislike Wilson personally (I've even quoted him in my siggie) - I just don't agree with his eschatology and didn't want to have to tweak anything if I could find something more user friendly for my purposes.

Btw, you can believe in the Doctrines of Grace (5 points of Calvinism) and be pre-mil.

Actually, Logos School is Doug Wilson's brainchild. Veritas Press was inspired by Wilson's book Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning, and they carry many of his books. Veritas Press is the brainchild of Marlin Detweiler, though.

Our church also follows the Baptist confession of 1689. I went and looked up "Training Hearts Teaching Minds" on Amazon due to your recommendation, but read a review that stated this book is a Presbyterian catechism, not a Baptist one. The reviewer says this book teaches infant baptism and partaking of the Lord's Supper as being "effective for salvation." Neither of which I agree with. How did you deal with these topics when they came up in this book? Thanks

It is based on the Westminster Catechism, so yes, it is Presbyterian, and yes, it does have infant baptism.

There are 107 questions, which equaled 107 weeks of Devotions for our family. Baptism and the Lord's Supper cover approximately seven questions. (Baptism, for example, covers two weeks: weeks 94 and 95. The first week (What is baptism?) we had no problem with, it was week 95 (who should be baptized?) that we skipped.) And, only two weeks did we find objectionable, and so we skipped those. We found our agreement with the vast, vast majority of the doctrine far outweighed the two weeks we skipped.

We have been using Veritas Press either in classical Christian school or through VP Scholars for 5 years and are starting our 6th. They are definitely reformed. This is a must for us and dh gave it a thorough going-over before we put ds in the school.

We love Omnibus and wouldn't use anything else!

Guest RecumbentHeart

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Tapestry of Grace is created by reformed baptists. My information says they attend CJ Mahaney's church. I am unfamiliar with their eschatology though :) It was this information that had me seriously considering ToG as I would prefer to steer clear of Doug Wilson also.

There are definitely reformed dispensationalists around - John McArthur has many, many followers and his study Bible teaches dispensationalism. I'm not personally dispensational and neither is my pastor but at least some in my church are. I'm quite fond of McArthur myself but his dispensationalism just .. well .. let me just shake my head and bite my tongue :lol:

I can't believe people wouldn't know there are professing calvinist pre-mil dispensationalists though .. McArthur did a greatly publicised speech at some conference entitled 'Why every self respecting calvinist is a dispensationalist' or something close to that. Have mercy, the blogosphere went crazy in response and books have been published (in brotherly love of course :lol: ) responding to it. Really, what rock have you guys been under? Too busy homeschooling or something ... :lol:

This book does teach the Westminster Shorter Catechism, which is Presbyterian. However, it does not teach that baptism and partaking of the Lord's Supper are effectual for salvation. They are means of grace in that they do impart a spiritual benefit to the believer, but that benefit is not salvation. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not, and I know that it is a bit different than the Baptist understanding.

The London Baptist Confession was modeled after the Westminster Standards, so there are a lot of similarities, with the most notable differences being related to baptism, the Lord's Supper, and church membership. I've known Baptists who have used Training Hearts, Teaching Minds and have just skipped or modified the parts that they don't agree with.

Julie,

I had the same problem you mentioned, but I found Notgrass American History and am absolutely in love with it for high school. It is "open and go", two of the main texts are Documents in US History and World's Famous Speeches, of which the student reads at least 5-10 entries per week! There are critical writing assignments, and it includes Bible and Literature, historical fiction to read, movies to watch, and so much more, all in a simple textbook.

My son now in 11th grade, who never enjoyed history no matter what I tried, is really eating this up this year.

However, I have to add a disclaimer: I have no idea if the Notgrass family is Reformed and what perspective this is written from, but I suspect it may be Reformed as it seems to have that "flavor". I am Presbyterian and Reformed myself, holding to an amillenial view.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the recommendation! I've looked at Notgrass before, but it's been a few years. At the time I didn't think it looked very challenging academically, but that was a first impression and I should look at it again. What was right for my first dc hasn't been right for the second dc, kwim? Notgrass may be a pleasant change of pace at this point!

Thanks again,

Julie

In all honesty, I don't think you could be reformed and dispensational. I think the two concepts are mutually exclusive.

From what i've read, the problem lies in the term "reformed" since some think it refers to reformed theology in its entirety and others use it to refer to one who holds to the 5 points of calvinism. I have attended a church that called itself "reformed baptist" that believed in TULIP but were credobaptists and premil.

Guest RecumbentHeart
I don't know if the question was so much whether they exist as whether they make any sense. ;) :D

(That's a joke, BTW,in case the winking face doesn't give it away.)

:lol:

Yes, I'm sure we all love our dispensational brothers and sisters. :D At least they're not confused about the grace and sovereignty of God -- that's what's really important. :D

There are definitely reformed dispensationalists around - John McArthur has many, many followers and his study Bible teaches dispensationalism.

I can't believe people wouldn't know there are professing calvinist pre-mil dispensationalists though .. Really, what rock have you guys been under? Too busy homeschooling or something ... :lol:

John MacArthur would be the first person to tell you that he is not Reformed. He is a Calvinist, however. Capital R Reformed has a meaning. Although, some people equate Reformed with Calvinism, most serious theologians know it isn't that simple. I hope this doesn't come off as condescending, because I'm really not trying to be, but there are a lot of lay people that label certain popular pastors as Reformed, but the pastors themselves do not claim the label.

Guest RecumbentHeart
John MacArthur would be the first person to tell you that he is not Reformed. He is a Calvinist, however. Capital R Reformed has a meaning. Although, some people equate Reformed with Calvinism, most serious theologians know it isn't that simple. I hope this doesn't come off as condescending, because I'm really not trying to be, but there are a lot of lay people that label certain popular pastors as Reformed, but the pastors themselves do not claim the label.

No, thank-you for clarifying that. I see where I got all fuzzy with the calvinist=reformed but wasn't really thinking capital R Reformed.

Now that you bring this up I'm wondering .. I don't think I'm Reformed either .. or am I .. I might be .. but can you be Reformed (capital R :D ) and be historical pre-mil? I parted from this sort of study some time back .. maybe I should pick it up again so I stop saying silly and ignorant things in forums :lol:

Now that you bring this up I'm wondering .. I don't think I'm Reformed either .. or am I .. I might be .. but can you be Reformed (capital R :D ) and be historical pre-mil?

Oh goodness, I'm not qualified to answer that. I think Historical Premillennialism is very different, in my very limited understanding, from Dispensational Premillennialism though.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Oh goodness, I'm not qualified to answer that. I think Historical Premillennialism is very different, in my very limited understanding, from Dispensational Premillennialism though.

Oh, I understand they are very different (totally different ideas about Israel/Church) but I wasn't sure if Reformed Theology came with it's own specific 'end times' belief (like amil, or postmil) or if the irreconcilable difference between dispensationalism and Reformed Theology is simply the beliefs about Israel and the Church.

I am a member of a Reformed Baptist church but I wasn't aware that my ecclesiology and/or eschatology and not just my calvinism was what made me Reformed Baptist. I think my confusion in part may be because we totally have members that are dispensationalists.

Anyway .. this was a total tangent, I'm sorry :D, .. I can google this stuff after school. I appreciate your time, Heather. Thanks again for clearing that up for me. :)