Menu

"Disney gave me unrealistic expectations about hair..."

This maxim is being played out in my home this very minute. I decided to do a costume dry run this afternoon. Let's just say my girls have COMPLETELY unrealistic expectations about what their hair is going to look like tomorrow night as they dress as Belle and Tinkerbell. :crying:

5 year olds just don't understand that can't have a Tinkerbell bun when you have a chin-length bob, and 3 year olds don't understand that Belle's ballgown hairdo was DRAWN and defies gravity.

AAAAAACKKK!!!!!

Edited by BikeBookBread
poor use of the word "truism" -- ok, only on the WTM boards would this be an issue...

My girls have nevber wanted to be anything adorable, unless you count bunnies or horses. There have never been fairies or flowers or princesses in my mother Halloweens! I am sure it's a pita, but how darling! I remember being little and pretending the bath towel wrapped around my head was long hair. lol

dd6 is dressing up as Nymphadora Tonks from Harry Potter, and she demanded that her hair be "bubble-gum pink". We tried kool-aid dyeing tonight, and she said it made her scalp itch, so we washed it out. Time for Plan B. *sigh*

Could you try some of the spray in hair colors that Walmart carries? I saw some the other night in basically every color possible, pink included, and they are quite inexpensive.

I have got to learn how to do army face paint tonight. I bought a little kit that walmart has but it does not quite explain how to put it on easily. Thank goodness my middle son is being a Transformer that has a mask and the toddler is a cow. I may try to paint his face a little too. That is about the most you can do with boy costumes...face paint and props.:D

dd6 is dressing up as Nymphadora Tonks from Harry Potter, and she demanded that her hair be "bubble-gum pink". We tried kool-aid dyeing tonight, and she said it made her scalp itch, so we washed it out. Time for Plan B. *sigh*

lol My teen is covered head to toe in black, with a Dr's bag, and mask with a beak nose. Black Plague doctor. Isn't *that* romantic* and sweet?

When I was in 1st and 2nd grade, I went to an inner-city elementary school in Louisville. There were black girls in my class who had the neatest twisted pony tails (braids? They weren't really braided, just twisted.) They had pretty bows and ribbons. I wanted their hair SO BAD. I'd ask my mother to do that to my hair but since I had long (so long I sat on it), thick, fine, blond hair, it just wasn't going to work.

I cried buckets of tears over that horrid injustice. To this day, when I see little girls with those kinds of braids (or whatever they're called) I can still feel the 6 year old angst of having white girl hair! LOL

lol My teen is covered head to toe in black, with a Dr's bag, and mask with a beak nose. Black Plague doctor. Isn't *that* romantic* and sweet?

ROTFL!

Ds8 is dressed like a skeleton in colonial clothing. He's one of the ghosts of the Roanoke Colony. He had me carve "Croatan" into his jack o'lantern.

I told dh that only here would anyone get it, but when I mentioned it to my FIL tonight, he said, "Was that the place with Virginia Dare?" Go, grandpa!

roflmao!!! I totally hear you!! You should have heard my (very, very blond) daughter when she decided to go as Snow White and we couldn't find a wig. She ended up finding an Indian girl costume that she immediately dubbed "Tiger Lily!":lol: I refuse to color her hair brown (it would NEVER wash out!) but thankfully it's long enough for pigtail braids.

Still, she can't understand why she can't have Rapunzel's hair (from the Barbie version....)

Thanks everyone for talking me down...you're RIGHT! I'm BLESSED to have little girls! They are so excited now. They even asked to go to bed early so they would be rested tomorrow.

You know that strange hair thing advertised on TV all the time called the "Bump It"? Well LLL said she needed one of those so she could look like Belle. :lol:

Could you try some of the spray in hair colors that Walmart carries? I saw some the other night in basically every color possible, pink included, and they are quite inexpensive.

We made my little guy's hair green one year. It took a couple months to wash out! :eek: He loved it though! He thought he was very cool! :cool:

When I was in 1st and 2nd grade, I went to an inner-city elementary school in Louisville. There were black girls in my class who had the neatest twisted pony tails (braids? They weren't really braided, just twisted.) They had pretty bows and ribbons. I wanted their hair SO BAD. I'd ask my mother to do that to my hair but since I had long (so long I sat on it), thick, fine, blond hair, it just wasn't going to work.

I cried buckets of tears over that horrid injustice. To this day, when I see little girls with those kinds of braids (or whatever they're called) I can still feel the 6 year old angst of having white girl hair! LOL

I can relate! My godmother is black and she would do her daughter's and my hair during the summer. I always wanted 3 ponytails in that twisted style with all the ribbons and pretty bows and beads and she would tell me that I just could not pull that look off with my white girl hair. Or course, her daughter wanted two long braids like mine which she couldn't do either because her hair was to short.

She cried for hours begging for one long french braid and I begged for corn rows.

We spent most of our elementary school years coveting each others hair and hair styles.

Well, good luck with that. My daughter with the super straight, super fine hair expects to have Shirley Temple hair. I had trouble getting it to flip up 50's style for a recent play she was in. I think we might have a little disappointment, too.

Wy oldest daughter always wanted Shirley Temple hair, my youngest daughter has it and won't do anything with it. Sigh.