Menu

Any tips on making braces more affordable?

My 13 yo needs braces. He's been to the orthodontist, and the total will be around $7000. My 8 yos will need braces also, the dentist told me a few months ago. My 7 yod recently saw the dentist, and he was so alarmed by her teeth, that he said she will need to have something done very soon, sooner than my 8 yos for sure. So we're looking at two in braces asap, another to follow. Our insurance doesn't cover orthodontics at all. Has anyone gotten braces through a dental school, or used one of those dental discount plans? There has to be some way to do this, but it's very overwhelming to me right now. :confused:

For starters, second opinion. Just to know for sure. And if it were me - I wouldn't do a thing at the ages of 7 and 8. That's just me, but I don't care what the dentist or orthodontist says. I'm not getting braces on my child that young - before they're through shaping. Too many little kids are having to wear them twice. I'd rather pay just once, thank you.

I had two in braces for approx four years. I paid $230.00 month. Now we are finished. They're now beautiful. They were 12 and 15 when we started, but I couldn't afford it until then. Not sure if the boys will need them or not.

I was told you have to wait until all their baby teeth are gone before they can get braces.

I had mine at 10 but I lost all my teeth really early.

My daughter got hers on at 12 and is due to get them off this summer. I saw 3 orthodontists before deciding on one. Price was a factor but also just the office in general (being you spend time there monthly).

I pay $200/month and I also have no dental insurance.

For starters, second opinion. Just to know for sure. And if it were me - I wouldn't do a thing at the ages of 7 and 8. That's just me, but I don't care what the dentist or orthodontist says. I'm not getting braces on my child that young - before they're through shaping. Too many little kids are having to wear them twice. I'd rather pay just once, thank you.

I had two in braces for approx four years. I paid $230.00 month. Now we are finished. They're now beautiful. They were 12 and 15 when we started, but I couldn't afford it until then. Not sure if the boys will need them or not.

My youngest had to have braces at about age 7 or 8. Her problem was that her palate was too small and needed to be expanded. It is easier to accomplish when they are younger and still able to be shaped. I learned this the hard way. The oldest dd didn't get it done in time and they (more than one dentist) told us that they would have to break the bone to fix the problem. :001_huh: The next dd had hers done at about age 13 and she said it was painful because the palate had already joined and she could feel the expander pulling it apart. The youngest was so bad she didn't even have room for all her baby teeth to come in. She is currently 10 and out of braces for now but they said it is possible that she will need them again when she is 13 or 14.

Be careful about getting the braces on too early. My husband had braces and believes they rushed starting him. The day they took the braces off, his orthodontist said, " I should have pulled that tooth". He now has one tooth crossing in front of the other on the bottom in front and his dentist says there is nothing that can be done.

He absolutely insisted that our children wait until all permanent teeth were in. So we are now looking at the same thing--2 in braces.

I look forward to others comments.

Blessings,

Barbara in NH

My youngest had to have braces at about age 7 or 8. Her problem was that her palate was too small and needed to be expanded. It is easier to accomplish when they are younger and still able to be shaped. I learned this the hard way. The oldest dd didn't get it done in time and they (more than one dentist) told us that they would have to break the bone to fix the problem. :001_huh: The next dd had hers done at about age 13 and she said it was painful because the palate had already joined and she could feel the expander pulling it apart. The youngest was so bad she didn't even have room for all her baby teeth to come in. She is currently 10 and out of braces for now but they said it is possible that she will need them again when she is 13 or 14.

Did they examine to option of pulling teeth so there was enough room? I discussed both options with our orthodontist for my dd14 because I didn't want teeth pulled. He had previously been in the camp of not pulling teeth but then discovered years later that the teeth did not hold their places with non-extraction. So he now does extractions. So my dd, who needs to gain 12mm on both top and bottom, will have 4 permanent teeth pulled. Her bite and profile are good and he does not want to mess that up. She just doesn't have enough room.

I know some do preliminary work with a palette expander but I haven't heard of braces so young especially if they would just have to have them again.

I have three in various stages of orthodontia right now. It is painful to think about the total cost. Fortunately, our orthodontist has a no-interest payment plan, which is about $600 a month total for all three. We will be done with the first stage next spring, and I can't wait because it's a stretch for us to be able to make that payment.

Anyway, my kids are 11, 10, and 8, and all three had small palates which needed expansion, which is easier to do before it is fused. Also, my youngest had a severe underbite which is also easier to correct when the bones are still a little more malleable.

Our ortho is doing everything in two stages - palate expander followed by "mini-braces" which straightens everything they currently have, including baby teeth. This process is about 6-8 months. Then they'll have a retainer until all their baby teeth are out and permanent teeth are in (the retainer will help the permanent teeth come in relatively straight). Once all the permanents are in, they'll have the full braces, which should only last for about 6 months, because the retainer will help keep things in place. We're paying about $5k per child.

We don't have a dental school in our state, but when we lived in Nebraska, I had several friends who had their braces done at Creighton University and were really happy with the work they had done there.

Good luck!

Guest janainaz

We just got back from the dentist and I was told my ds9 could go see an orthodontist anytime. He has a slight overbite and I was surprised at him recommending braces so early, too. Hopefully in a couple years we'll be able to afford braces. I had no idea they were that expensive.

Did they examine to option of pulling teeth so there was enough room? I discussed both options with our orthodontist for my dd14 because I didn't want teeth pulled. He had previously been in the camp of not pulling teeth but then discovered years later that the teeth did not hold their places with non-extraction. So he now does extractions. So my dd, who needs to gain 12mm on both top and bottom, will have 4 permanent teeth pulled. Her bite and profile are good and he does not want to mess that up. She just doesn't have enough room.

I know some do preliminary work with a palette expander but I haven't heard of braces so young especially if they would just have to have them again.

Yes, all of my girls that got braces had four teeth removed. The oldest dd had to have her wisdom teeth removed because of impaction due to no room. The middle two look like they are going to have room for their wisdom teeth. The 13 year old has one that will definitely not be able to come in and we don't know about the youngest yet. The youngest also had a serious underbite (to the point where her teeth cut into her gums), and crossbite. That poor child got more than her fair share of ortho problems probably because she has one sister that has plenty of room, straight teeth and just got her first cavities at 16. I really prefer to wait until they are 13 and can contribute to the decision of whether they want braces or not but in her case it was absolutely neccessary (and a pain for both of us).

Anyway, my kids are 11, 10, and 8, and all three had small palates which needed expansion, which is easier to do before it is fused. Also, my youngest had a severe underbite which is also easier to correct when the bones are still a little more malleable.

Our ortho is doing everything in two stages - palate expander followed by "mini-braces" which straightens everything they currently have, including baby teeth. This process is about 6-8 months. Then they'll have a retainer until all their baby teeth are out and permanent teeth are in (the retainer will help the permanent teeth come in relatively straight). Once all the permanents are in, they'll have the full braces, which should only last for about 6 months, because the retainer will help keep things in place. We're paying about $5k per child.

This sounds pretty much like our situation with our youngest.

I have three in various stages of orthodontia right now. It is painful to think about the total cost. Fortunately, our orthodontist has a no-interest payment plan, which is about $600 a month total for all three. We will be done with the first stage next spring, and I can't wait because it's a stretch for us to be able to make that payment.

We don't have a dental school in our state, but when we lived in Nebraska, I had several friends who had their braces done at Creighton University and were really happy with the work they had done there.

Good luck!

$600 per month! :svengo: I will have to look into the dental school option, or pray that dh gets a HUGE raise soon. :tongue_smilie:

Two of my children, so far, have had braces through an orthodontics school. So far, so good. It was much less expensive -- about 1/2 the private fees that were quoted by two orthodontists, plus they took our insurance plus they gave an additional sibling discount. They have a no-interest monthly payment plan.

While we have a small dental insurance policy through dh's work, I have a friend who joined a credit union solely to be able to purchase dental insurance.

And, fwiw, $7000 sounds like a huge amount! The private orthodontist's were quoting in the $3000's, but $7000? Yikes! I'd definitely shop around.

Lisa

Yes, this is what is going on with my 7 yo. She doesn't have room for several of her adult teeth to come down at all.

We are taking our 9 year old on Friday. He needs braces due to an accident 2 years ago that moved his teeth. We do have dental and it does cover some orthodontics. We are hoping that his braces will be covered 100% because our insurance covers accidents 100%. If not, we have a flexible spending account and will use it to pay for what the insurance doesn't cover. I love having the FSA. It comes in handy.

Did they examine to option of pulling teeth so there was enough room? .

I will have to ask more about this. It's hard because the orthodontist we saw was very convincing in his explanation about why extraction wasn't a good idea, but I don't know...maybe I should get a second opinion.

Yes, I'm thinking I will get a second opinion. I just discovered that there is an orthodonics school within 45 minutes of us... it might be worth the drive, esp. if it does turn out to be half the usual price.

I was told you have to wait until all their baby teeth are gone before they can get braces.

I had mine at 10 but I lost all my teeth really early.

My daughter got hers on at 12 and is due to get them off this summer. I saw 3 orthodontists before deciding on one. Price was a factor but also just the office in general (being you spend time there monthly).

I pay $200/month and I also have no dental insurance.

My dd has lost almost all of her baby teeth (at 7 years old! The dentist was shocked too.) She doesn't have room for at least four of her adult teeth to come down. :sad: I think they're thinking expanders for her, not braces yet.

Yes, I'm thinking I will get a second opinion. I just discovered that there is an orthodonics school within 45 minutes of us... it might be worth the drive, esp. if it does turn out to be half the usual price.

I would definitely get a second opinion. The orthodontist I saw in Oregon had me convinced that non-extraction was the way to go. Our current orthodontist is a lot older and has been in the business a lot longer than the dr in Oregon and has seen many trends come and go. So I am trusting experience over a younger dr this time around. The nice thing is he also has 2 younger orthodontists in his practice so he doesn't get stuck in the dark ages as far as technique. All three drs have to agree on a treatment plan before it is started.

I had 4 adult teeth (in addition to my wisdom teeth) pulled to make room for all my teeth before I had braces and 28 years later my teeth are still good. So I have personal experience to go on too.

$7000 does seem quite high. We will be paying maximum of $6000 for dd14 although I am waiting on the final cost from her x-rays and impressions.

My dd has lost almost all of her baby teeth (at 7 years old! The dentist was shocked too.) She doesn't have room for at least four of her adult teeth to come down. :sad: I think they're thinking expanders for her, not braces yet.

That is the situation dd14 is in. There is no room for her eye teeth.

Edited by HiddenJewel

$600 per month! :svengo: I will have to look into the dental school option, or pray that dh gets a HUGE raise soon. :tongue_smilie:

Yes - it's tough. We have suspended ALL sports for this year - no soccer, skiing, baseball, or swimming. This has made a dent in the total, but we are majorly cutting back right now to be able to make that one. Also, keep in mind that the $600 is for three children - $200 each.

You guys are scaring me, although it does seem we have dodged this bullet with my dd. Her teeth are coming in very nicely so far - nice and straight and seemingly enough room. She might need a retainer to pull them back a little. My ds is a different story. Even his baby teeth don't fit, so we are in for it with him. :001_huh:

I also had 4 extracted (not incl wisdom teeth) to make room. I doubt it could have been done any other way. It was a huge sacrifice for my parents but I wouldn't trade my beautiful smile for anything!:D

We see pediatric dentists. They have an orthodontist in with them. It's very convenient to say the least. We've been told our oldest three will almost certainly need braces (probably the little guy, too, but he's only been twice). My dd8 has already had 5 baby teeth pulled to make room for permanent teeth. She will more than likely have to have some permanent teeth pulled before braces as well. (DH had 4 permanent teeth removed when he got braces.) Anyway, they will not place braces until all baby teeth are gone. They will, however, refer you to the orthodontist early for any intervention needed.

Good luck with your second opinion. Honestly, I'm dreading the day braces become an issue! The quote for my step-brother (same ped. dental office) was $4,000-$5,000.

I would definitely try to get a second opinion and find out why they need braces so early. Our previous orthodontist was very much against early braces/palate expanders, because he felt that they had the potential to distort the look of the face. Our current ortho fitted Calvin with braces this year, with just one tooth extracted. Hobbes will probably need braces too, but again he will wait until the adult teeth are pretty much in.

Laura

I didn't read every response...

At 8yrs my dd was said to be in need of them SOON. Her grown up teeth were coming in and they were HUGE and there wasn't room. We did nothing because we just didn't have the money for it. There were times the teeth hurt her because as they came in there was so much pressure around them because they were so big. But they all came in. AND they look lovely. She has the prettiest natural mouth of teeth ever.

Now that isn't everyone's story, to be sure, but it's ours. I am gald we didn't pull teeth like recommended.

In California we have orthodontists that work out less expensive payment plans for anyone who asks. We have no ortho. coverage and I pay $108 per month on another child's braces. I cannot imagine having to pay more than that per month... PM me if you are in California and do not know what business does this...

Get more than one ortho opinion. Sometimes one doc. may say a lot more needs to be done than another - or may simply charge less. $7000 is over twice what any of my three kids cost.

(Our insurance said braces should only cost $1,500, and paid 50% of that. HAHAHAHA right, insurance. Each kid was closer to $3,000.)

We just got back from the dentist and I was told my ds9 could go see an orthodontist anytime. He has a slight overbite and I was surprised at him recommending braces so early, too. Hopefully in a couple years we'll be able to afford braces. I had no idea they were that expensive.

Just because they recommend a consult with an ortho, doesn't mean that they will be put in braces. Go to the consult and see what they recommend and why. Then, do your research.

Our oldest was referred to an ortho at 7. He had a crossbite. That means that his bottom teeth were actually chipping his top teeth. It needed to be corrected immediatelly. He had braces at 7 for 6 months to move the front teeth out of the way of the bottom teeth. It cost $600 total. Insurance covered it.

Now, he's 13. He's in his 2nd phase of treatment. He had to get braces again - a full set this time. He'll be in braces for 2 years. $4800. That includes ALL brackets that fall off (which happens often to him!). We're paying in installments of $170/month.

Our 11 yo was referred to an ortho at 8. He's been going ever since then every 6 months. We've been told he won't get braces for at least 2 more years.

Our 9 yo was just referred last month. We took him. He has the opposite problem of ds13. His top teeth are chipping his bottom ones! So, we're looking at some orthodontic work next year with him. Probably phase one!! He'll need braces again in his teens. We're okay with that!

I, personally, am MUCH more comfortable with an ortho who tries NOT to pull teeth. I find that SUCH a traumatic experience for kids (I remember it WELL from childhood!), that I'd like to avoid it if possible. We took our oldest to 2 more orthos to get estimates from them. They both recommended pulling teeth and cost about the same as the first guy. We opted for the first!

Good luck with your decision!!

Because yesterday we shelled out our $2300 down payment on our ds's braces. This is followed by $300/mnth payments for the next year and a half or so. It hurt. Not the braces, the paying. (Well my son's teeth are sore today.) We do have a plan that covers $3500 out of the $8100 but non the less it's like buying a car without a car.

We live in a rural area so our options were limited and our son's teeth were very bad.

All the best.

My 11yo is apparently a very complex case. The roof of her mouth has a very high arch and is very narrow. The upper part needs to be expanded. The ortho we are using can do the expansion with braces. He says that the braces system he uses (Damon fastbraces) causes less pain than a palate expander would. My dd still has her baby molars. The ortho said that we need to get the braces on before those molars come out. He's going to hook the braces up to the back molars (baby teeth) and all the adult teeth that are in their proper places so he can use the braces to make room between them. He won't hook the adult teeth that are sitting way up above where they're supposed to be (and almost all the way in already) until he has created enough space with the braces for them to move to where they're supposed to be. After he has some movement up top, he will do the same thing on the bottom.

My dd is short of room by 4 teeth on top, but only by 2 teeth on bottom. He is confident that he can create enough space for 2 teeth on the top and the bottom. He is hoping that he can create enough room for 4 on top. He's going to wait to see what happens. If he manages to create enough room on top, then she'll get to keep all her teeth. Otherwise she'll need two teeth removed on top.

He also said that her jaw is crooked. It isn't crooked enough to cause problems right now, but he doesn't know if her jaw is going to get more crooked or stay the same. If it continues to shift, he said that we'd need to go to a surgeon who would break her jaw and then reset it. I'd get a 2nd opinion in that case, but it was obvious to me that her jaw was crooked once he pointed it out.

Anyway, our ortho charges $5315. Our insurance will pay $1500 of that. This doesn't include any teeth that might need to be removed (we'd go to the dentist for that) or jaw surgery, if needed (would go to surgeon for that).

Consider going to a foreign country?! Seriously that would be out of the question price wise for us. I would have to have a very compelling reason to go through with it for that kind of money.

I know, it's crazy. But my 13 yos has teeth coming out *all over the place*-- through his gums, over top of other teeth; it's really a mess. It's obvious just looking at him that he definitely needs to have braces. Unfortunately my 7 yod has equally large teeth, and an even smaller mouth. She has even more teeth that she doesn't have room for than ds. Her teeth are going to be coming in on top of each other too.

Because yesterday we shelled out our $2300 down payment on our ds's braces. This is followed by $300/mnth payments for the next year and a half or so. It hurt. Not the braces, the paying. (Well my son's teeth are sore today.) We do have a plan that covers $3500 out of the $8100 but non the less it's like buying a car without a car.

We live in a rural area so our options were limited and our son's teeth were very bad.

All the best.

Yeah, it's hard. We are actually already living as frugally as we can on dh's income. We've even cut all the kids' sports/activities this past year, and that was really hard to do. We're at the point now of having to generate more income, and it's something neither of dh nor I wants to do, because we both have a lot on our plates already, and family time has always been so important to us. We hate cutting into that with more work. Sigh... I don't know.