Menu

Need writing suggestions for 5th grader - no money - more...

Sherri in MI

Hi,

I know many of you are IEW fans & I have seen the first 2 TWSS lessons. I would like to have TWSS & SWI, however, dh is unemployed & I really don't have the money. Regardless of how "worth it" it is, I simply cannot afford IEW's products.

Ds is in 5th, we've been using Rod & Staff, but I feel the need for more writing instruction. He is verbally good with words, but writing is a different matter. His sentences are too simple. I have not done much writing instruction with him, nor much dictation or copywork.

I'd like something easy to use, simple, cheap (or free) that does at least a little bit of handholding or instruction guidance for me. Checklists would be great!

I personally feel comfortable with writing, but not necessarily instructing writing, YKWIM?

Thanks,

Sherri

Hi,

I know many of you are IEW fans & I have seen the first 2 TWSS lessons. I would like to have TWSS & SWI, however, dh is unemployed & I really don't have the money. Regardless of how "worth it" it is, I simply cannot afford IEW's products.

Ds is in 5th, we've been using Rod & Staff, but I feel the need for more writing instruction. He is verbally good with words, but writing is a different matter. His sentences are too simple. I have not done much writing instruction with him, nor much dictation or copywork.

I'd like something easy to use, simple, cheap (or free) that does at least a little bit of handholding or instruction guidance for me. Checklists would be great!

I personally feel comfortable with writing, but not necessarily instructing writing, YKWIM?

Thanks,

Sherri

I'm using Imitation in Writing with my 5th & 4th graders this year.

It will be harder to NOT spend more money but you CAN do it with just R&S English 5. I no longer have that level but take your R&S composition lessons and schedule more of them. Find other source materials in science, history, religion, etc. and plug them into the written exercises for R&S after you're finished with the R&S writing lesson. R&S E. Chapter 5 - will be good to repeat with other sources

Edited by MIch elle

It will be harder to NOT spend more money but you CAN do it with just R&S English 5. I no longer have that level but take your R&S composition lessons and schedule more of them. Find other source materials in science, history, religion, etc. and plug them into the written exercises for R&S after you're finished with the R&S writing lesson. R&S E. Chapter 5 - will be good to repeat with other sources

This. Take the R&S composition lessons across his other curriculum to beef it up, and add in the other outlining and summaries as suggested in TWTM.

That said, I have a kid doing both R&S English and Classical Writing, and he writes outlines and summaries for science and history. If a big writing assignment pops up in both R&S and CW on the same day, the CW one takes priority that day. He'll go to the next R&S grammar lesson instead, and the next day he's expected to go right back to the skipped lesson. I do integrate the R&S lessons into his science and history writings as it's applicable, but I don't create new assignments just to give more practice. If you opt not to get a second writing curriculum, I'd have him practice that R&S lesson in other subjects regularly.

We could do without the CW if push came to shove. Ds and I both really like CW though, and it's opened my ds's creativity more than R&S's composition assignments ever have. :001_smile:

Check out bravewriter.com. Lots of free ideas to get you going.

I was going to suggest this as well. Julie Bogart (bravewriter) also has a Yahoo group that you can join, even if you haven't purchased any products from them. When we were doing more informal writing I belonged to the group. It's a read-only group, so the messages are just from her. I got some good stuff from her.

you CAN do it with just R&S English 5...take your R&S composition lessons and schedule more of them. Find other source materials in science, history, religion, etc. and plug them into the written exercises for R&S after you're finished with the R&S writing lesson.

Take the R&S composition lessons across his other curriculum to beef it up, and add in the other outlining and summaries as suggested in TWTM.

:iagree:

And before you get too much further with R&S composition lessons, I would make sure that he can do narrations and take dictation well. And that he can bring those two skills together to write one good paragraph (3-4 sentences) about something he read. WWE is really good for this, but if you can't buy/borrow that right now, the basic instructions are in WTM, or you can come here and ask us to help you teach these skills.

Then you can teach him to outline, and the new WTM (borrow? have? library?) or we can help you with that, too.

Go for it!:D

This or for some cheap options:

Write with the Best

primary language lessons or intermediate Lang lsns

Or you can go to my blog and click the educating on cheap in the right sidebar. There's a few free options there that might work.

Edited by Martha

You can start IEW without either SWI or TWSS. Start with the Ancient History based writing lessons. Included in the price is IEW's downloadable ebook, Student Resource Notebook (SRN). I think with just these two items, you could start to use IEW.

Both the Ancient History-based Writing Lessons and the SRN provide checklists, definitions, and examples of the various stylistic techniques and lots of other useful info. This would be a very inexpensive way to get started.

Join the Yahoo group IEWFamilies. There is a lot of info there about how to use the various parts of IEW. There are also lesson plans and other resources in the group's files section.

You can start IEW without either SWI or TWSS. Start with the Ancient History based writing lessons. Included in the price is IEW's downloadable ebook, Student Resource Notebook (SRN). I think with just these two items, you could start to use IEW.

Both the Ancient History-based Writing Lessons and the SRN provide checklists, definitions, and examples of the various stylistic techniques and lots of other useful info. This would be a very inexpensive way to get started.

Join the Yahoo group IEWFamilies. There is a lot of info there about how to use the various parts of IEW. There are also lesson plans and other resources in the group's files section.

I was going to suggest IEW Ancient History Based Lessons or one of the other small packets. There is hand holding and check lists but a very reasonable price tag. We use this along with FLL and WWE to round out our language arts.

Hi,

Thanks,

Sherri

If money is the issue Rod and Staff is an excellent curriculum, why don't you use it for writing? It could be carried over into history or science lessons.

Just a thought!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

If money is the issue Rod and Staff is an excellent curriculum, why don't you use it for writing? It could be carried over into history or science lessons.

Just a thought!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I don't think Rod and Staff has enough writing instruction. It's rather dry & not frequent enough. They throw in a lesson here and there in Grade 5. I'll take another look though.