Menu

Apocalyptic thoughts... why is this bothering me suddenly?

Help.

In all my life, I have never had anything remotely close to a panic attack, not even when I lived in some precarious spots overseas. Truly, I've never been the Doom-and-Gloom type of personality, but today, for some reason, I am so incredibly, internally burdened with a sense of foreboding. We don't have a TV, so I haven't been watching the news. That's not it... no new apocalyptic input, really, just a pain... a pressing urgency... a feeling... as if it suddenly dawned on me that, yes, in fact, the world really IS soon coming to an end....

:crying:

I keep seeing "headlines" in my head:

"New World Order, One World Government"

"UN to Take Over Failed American Republic"

"Food Crisis Hits America, World Rejoices as Yanks Starve"

"Economic Forecast Bleak As Jobless Ranks Swell"

"Riots in Major Cities Spread to Suburbs"

"Homeschoolers in Exile to Escape Prison Time"

You get the gist of the little "scroll" running at the bottom of my brain.... Why?

Why on earth am I thinking this all day? Why do I want to run out and stockpile canned beans and powdered milk, or buy sleeping bags and flashlight batteries? And why can't I stop crying? Why do I keep thinking that we don't HAVE any money for Christmas presents, let ALONE for stockpiling a year's worth of food? (This part is true, though. We don't have it this year). I am not usually a mess.

I keep telling myself to get a grip on reality. Then the little voice says, "But this IS reality.... the coming reality...." And so on.

Could someone out there help me to :chillpill:? Thanks.

Are you depressed about other things right now? I find my apocalyptic nightmares intensify when I'm stressed about something else.

I'm having those same feelings, especially regarding stockpiling food and Christmas because my dh was just laid off last Friday. Having him home is driving me crazy. Our routine is screwed. The kids are acting up. I'm freaking out about every little purchase or bill.

Okay, that was to make you feel better (and me too) and to let you know that you're not alone.

Now, what do you do? Regarding your headlines, understand that these are just media's way of panicking people. I truly don't believe that we are in dire circumstances. Pray if you pray. Meditate otherwise. Make a list of the things that are in your control and the things that aren't. The entire headline list is not anything you can control. Take deep breaths and hug your kids. Hugs are amazing healers and relaxers. My kids are getting heaps of extra hugs these days. It's good for all of us.

Hang in there. It will get better and I hope this helped a little.

1. I'm probably tired. My husband made me a cup of tea last night, and he said it was decaffeinated, but I couldn't shut my mind off last night until very late, tired as I was.

2. My husband and I had a "financial discussion" yesterday afternoon. We don't usually talk about money in the middle of the week, but we needed to discuss a few things, because I have a meeting on Saturday. So maybe I was a bit tensed up about that.

3. The weather is cold/rainy/cloudy/damp/gloomy. Feels like winter here already, and we didn't get much of a summer, with all the rain.

4. I have an appointment with my endocrinologist at the beginning of next month, and I'll get a thorough exam and lab work then. I don't have a thyroid, so it's possible that something is off kilter hormonally.

5. Christmas. I sold an old stove on Craigslist last weekend, it was amazing to me that anyone would pay good money for my "junk," LOL. I had planned to use this money for the girls' Christmas gifts -- nothing elaborate, just something for each child. But now I'm thinking that there are other needs more important than Christmas gifts, so I'll hold onto it for a while. But the thought of not providing a Christmas to my little ones is a bit down-casting, to say the least. And frustrating, because it's not my mistake or lack of diligence or self-control that put us in this predicament. Enough said.

I'm sure I'll feel better after a good night's sleep. Thanks for caring enough to answer. :001_smile:

:grouphug:

I feel like this many days too. The worst part is knowing our financial situation makes us powerless to do much even if we knew we should and I know I would never forgive myself if something happened to the girls that I could have prevented if I had better managed my time, money etc.

I feel like this many days too. The worst part is knowing our financial situation makes us powerless to do much even if we knew we should and I know I would never forgive myself if something happened to the girls that I could have prevented if I had better managed my time, money etc.
:iagree: I hate the feeling of helplessness, of watching others manage my money/taxes way worse than I could do, of my dh's retirement being managed in such a way that it probably won't be there when he needs it. We decided this last week to take charge of what money we have left instead of leaving it up to others to manage.

Why on earth am I thinking this all day? Why do I want to run out and stockpile canned beans and powdered milk, or buy sleeping bags and flashlight batteries? And why can't I stop crying? Why do I keep thinking that we don't HAVE any money for Christmas presents, let ALONE for stockpiling a year's worth of food? (This part is true, though. We don't have it this year). I am not usually a mess.

I keep telling myself to get a grip on reality. Then the little voice says, "But this IS reality.... the coming reality...." And so on.

Honestly, I have these thoughts and it has become almost crushing lately so instead of ignoring it I waited and kind of kept mental track of anything else going on that might be causing these feelings. When I realized that I was having these thoughts/feelings no matter what the weather/season/time-of-the-month I approached my dh and we made a plan of action. I believe that thoughts aren't always random or exaggerated fears and that sometimes they might be premonitions. My premonitions might be wrong but if they aren't and we don't take the steps we are now I will be regret it. If I am wrong then no harm done - I'm just a little more prepared for normal life. ;)

I do not think any of the "headlines" running through your head are beyond reason. I am determined to be prepared as much as I can not only to help my own family but to help others if need be. The little "voice" might not be my own paranoia; it might be a "voice" I need to listen to and not explain away. What is interesting is that I've come across a few others who, without speaking to anyone else, share that they are feeling the same way. That leads me to believe that this is more than just people hearing "voices", that something is prodding our minds/hearts.

Please don't think me a crazy, paranoid, dig-a-bunker-and-hide kind of person. I think humans have an instinct (although we may have lost touch with a lot of it) that shouldn't be ignored.

3. The weather is cold/rainy/cloudy/damp/gloomy. Feels like winter here already, and we didn't get much of a summer, with all the rain.

Chances are your vitamin D is low. Both b/c of the lack of sun over the summer and b/c of the current season.

Vitamin D is a major player in hormones. It's a major player in mood regulation. It's a major player in mental health. It's a major player in everything. There are D receptors on every cell in our bodies. D influences either directly or indirectly everything that happens in our systems.

please test and treat asap. Or just treat:) 85% of the US population is D deficient.

vitamindcouncil.org

All the best to you,

Katherine

Help.

In all my life, I have never had anything remotely close to a panic attack, not even when I lived in some precarious spots overseas. Truly, I've never been the Doom-and-Gloom type of personality, but today, for some reason, I am so incredibly, internally burdened with a sense of foreboding. We don't have a TV, so I haven't been watching the news. That's not it... no new apocalyptic input, really, just a pain... a pressing urgency... a feeling... as if it suddenly dawned on me that, yes, in fact, the world really IS soon coming to an end....

:crying:

I keep seeing "headlines" in my head:

"New World Order, One World Government"

"UN to Take Over Failed American Republic"

"Food Crisis Hits America, World Rejoices as Yanks Starve"

"Economic Forecast Bleak As Jobless Ranks Swell"

"Riots in Major Cities Spread to Suburbs"

"Homeschoolers in Exile to Escape Prison Time"

You get the gist of the little "scroll" running at the bottom of my brain.... Why?

Could someone out there help me to :chillpill:? Thanks.

I think hormonal stuff can trigger this. The very best thing you can do for any kind of mood issue is exercise. It's as effective as medication in many cases, and has only positive side effects. Also, make sure that you're getting enough sleep and eating healthy food. But a solid bout of exercise will tend to improve mood--often right away.

The other thing now to do is not to let the thoughts draw you in. Distract yourself. And exercise.

I think hormonal stuff can trigger this. The very best thing you can do for any kind of mood issue is exercise. It's as effective as medication in many cases, and has only positive side effects. Also, make sure that you're getting enough sleep and eating healthy food. But a solid bout of exercise will tend to improve mood--often right away.

The other thing now to do is not to let the thoughts draw you in. Distract yourself. And exercise.

Sounds like great advice. :)

:iagree: I hate the feeling of helplessness, of watching others manage my money/taxes way worse than I could do, of my dh's retirement being managed in such a way that it probably won't be there when he needs it. We decided this last week to take charge of what money we have left instead of leaving it up to others to manage.

Honestly, I have these thoughts and it has become almost crushing lately so instead of ignoring it I waited and kind of kept mental track of anything else going on that might be causing these feelings. When I realized that I was having these thoughts/feelings no matter what the weather/season/time-of-the-month I approached my dh and we made a plan of action. I believe that thoughts aren't always random or exaggerated fears and that sometimes they might be premonitions. My premonitions might be wrong but if they aren't and we don't take the steps we are now I will be regret it. If I am wrong then no harm done - I'm just a little more prepared for normal life. ;)

I do not think any of the "headlines" running through your head are beyond reason. I am determined to be prepared as much as I can not only to help my own family but to help others if need be. The little "voice" might not be my own paranoia; it might be a "voice" I need to listen to and not explain away. What is interesting is that I've come across a few others who, without speaking to anyone else, share that they are feeling the same way. That leads me to believe that this is more than just people hearing "voices", that something is prodding our minds/hearts.

Please don't think me a crazy, paranoid, dig-a-bunker-and-hide kind of person. I think humans have an instinct (although we may have lost touch with a lot of it) that shouldn't be ignored.

:iagree: and I'm not the paranoid, dig-a-bunker type either....we have been coming across people here and there too...most choose to ignore it as paranoia, but every now and then, someone sees it too. May the Lord's return be swift and may we have the where-with-all to sustain.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert
spelling error

Thank you for the reassurance that I'm not thinking all of this out on a limb, so to speak, but that there might be a powerful reason. Perhaps this is the motivation I need to become more prepared for something that truly might happen. And, yes, I agree about humans having more instinct than we seem to think we have. People are always telling me that I have GOOD instincts! Hmmmm, maybe I should listen to them!

You're looking at the wrong end. Jesus warned that things would become terrible, but he also said not to let your heart be troubled. :grouphug:

How? I truly want to trust in His provision, protection, and care during any crisis, but I also feel an urgency to be prepared. Aren't these compatible, possibly? Perhaps it's His voice, telling me to get ready, even in the middle of these busy days I have with the girls, there's this steady drumbeat.... Get ready, get ready, get ready, get ready.... I have heard this ALL DAY today.

So, I think there is a reason.

This is were your faith has to be strong. The Lord tells us that it will come but if you trust in the Lord that it will be worth it all. I myself have had these feelings lately and I know that the time is growing nearer. Do not be afraid if you are walking with the Lord, but rejoice for all of our troubles will soon be over!!!!!

How? I truly want to trust in His provision, protection, and care during any crisis, but I also feel an urgency to be prepared. Aren't these compatible, possibly? Perhaps it's His voice, telling me to get ready, even in the middle of these busy days I have with the girls, there's this steady drumbeat.... Get ready, get ready, get ready, get ready.... I have heard this ALL DAY today.

Read your bible and get the comfort the Lord intends for us to have. Ask the Lord what it is He is wanting from you and be prepared for His answer. Rejoice that the Lord is speaking to you. It would be a much scarier thing for those who never know Him or hear Him.

Chances are your vitamin D is low. Both b/c of the lack of sun over the summer and b/c of the current season.

Vitamin D is a major player in hormones. It's a major player in mood regulation. It's a major player in mental health. It's a major player in everything. There are D receptors on every cell in our bodies. D influences either directly or indirectly everything that happens in our systems.

please test and treat asap. Or just treat:) 85% of the US population is D deficient.

vitamindcouncil.org

All the best to you,

Katherine

Thanks, Katherine, this is actually possible. We have not gotten out as much as usual this summer, because we had so much RAIN here in New Jersey -- it rained for months, seriously. It is possible that I'm low on VitD, so I'll be sure it's something we supplement. Thanks!

This is my first post on these boards. I can relate to how you are feeling, and first I wanted to send you :grouphug:s, and to let you know you'll be in my prayers. Satan wants to steal our joy, and if that means putting thoughts in our minds that lead us to worry, lead us to get unfocused, etc...he'll do it.

We have to capture any negative/scary thoughts and replace them with God's words and His promises.

I'm with all the other helpful women that already posted, it's true- when I"m hormonal, WOW do things intensify. Many times, I'll look back and think, did I REALLY have those fears/thoughts?

Praying for a restful, peaceful night for you.

This is my first post on these boards. I can relate to how you are feeling, and first I wanted to send you :grouphug:s, and to let you know you'll be in my prayers. Satan wants to steal our joy, and if that means putting thoughts in our minds that lead us to worry, lead us to get unfocused, etc...he'll do it.

We have to capture any negative/scary thoughts and replace them with God's words and His promises.

I'm with all the other helpful women that already posted, it's true- when I"m hormonal, WOW do things intensify. Many times, I'll look back and think, did I REALLY have those fears/thoughts?

Thanks, Lovey, and everyone else, for your encouragement. :001_smile: I feel en-COURAGED! :001_smile:

If you really are being pushed to prepare for something, be it a local or a major issue, you will also be given the means to follow that push.

First, take some heart. Food costs and other items aren't going up right away, in fact that may go down for a bit despite fears of inflation. We're still dealing with a deflationary economy which can be a bonus. Not only is spending down and people eager to provide a deal, but due to the large amount of rain in much of the west, there was a bumper crop for wheat in many areas. Prices have already dropped some on this market. Some produce may be high due to drought in a few areas, but many staples are actually a bit low. Buy what's low.

If you start taking tiny steps while also looking for other causes, (hormonal is a good one, but sometimes hormones are useful in also keeping us from being too relaxed where a little edginess may be good), you may find you satisfy some of your concerns within your normal budget.

I'd first stash that money for Christmas. Perhaps a bit more modest, but don't totally give that up. Then I'd just get an extra bag or can of something at the store when you see the price is good. Once you start, you go a long way towards that security. I simply grab a couple extra cans of tomatoes or a bottle of oil at Wal Mart whenever I go. We're talking small, but it really does add up and I needed it last month so I was thrilled to have the extras on hand. If something is less than you expected, don't buy the indulgences with the rest, pick up an extra can or two of soup. The nagging noise in the head goes away when you start. I know, I heard it last year. As I got actively involved in the concerns, the fears started to ease. You just feel like you're doing something.

Calm down though. Perhaps you're feelings are not off base, but they also may not mean anything is imminent. Maybe you're just meant to start thinking in that direction now. It's kind of naive for any of us to think we will never see calamity of any kind but that doesn't mean it's going to strike tomorrow.

Mostly, I'm nervous about our decades of economic growth being destroyed and our monetary system debased to the point of worthlessness.

I'm a "what-if" thinker, and yes, we can feed ourselves on just our land if we have to, and we can get enough electricity to run the well through solar panels and use wood heat for everything else. Mostly, I want to gather my "chicks," in the form of my extended family, under my wings here! My parents and likely my brother will be moving to an addition on our property (if you can call 1800sqft for the parents and 400sqft for him an "addition.")

I'm also hyper-insulating my house and installing woodstoves in all the fireplaces. I just don't know what energy prices are going to do!

Guest Virginia Dawn
Write a poem, even a bad one.

:iagree:

I spent 3 years of my life writing poetry, no doubt some of it was very bad, but it was also something to focus some of that excited mental energy on.

Now that life has improved, I find I have no need or desire to write poetry, but I still have all my poems to look at. :D

The preparation you need is, from what I understand, more spiritual than anything else. The Bible says you can't really be prepared physically, as we won't know when, but you can be ready spiritually.

As for food and clothing, think about the lilies of the field, right?

:grouphug:

A spirit of urgency may come from God, but not a spirit of fear. If you are in the right, on the right path, etc., then you have nothing to fear.

This was a wonderful reminder. Thank you for posting! :grouphug:

These are normal thoughts that people, especially with children, need to comtemplate. Life as we know could very possibly change. We have to consider it, to act if necessary and to prepare if necessary. The key is to consider it a little at a time, rather than never thinking about it and then having a panic attack. When you think about it rationally day to day, it makes it easier to make a habit of turning it to God, as opposed to trying to pray yourself out o a panic attack, which is possible but difficult.

Cheryl has excellent advice.

God has not given us a spirit of fear. Your post reads as if you're experiencing panic, or something approaching it.

God certainly can speak to us through inner impressions, but the Bible says that we need to test these. They are subject to other spiritual influence, to our hormones, etc. Test it with your husband, and your church leaders.

I'm the Queen of panic attacks. Really. Me in a panic attack can be a dangerous thing.

Relax. If God is telling you to be prepared he will provide the means for you to prepare. Pray. Think. Whatever happens, it's because He ordains it, and it will be for your good. I'm learning to step back a bit and think before I react.

Thanks, everyone. I'm feeling much better now, but I still want to get my family more prepared to be self-sufficient, as much as that's possible in the outskirts of a city in New Jersey! :tongue_smilie:Moving to the farm is years away...

Thank you for the good advice, I will come back again tomorrow when I'm more wide awake and meditate some more on it. :001_smile: