Menu

What are you buying/making your kids for Christmas?

I need inspiration :)

I can tell you what's on their wishlists, but I have no idea what they'll get. :) We share the ideas with grandparents, Santa, and use some ourselves. They never get *everything* on their wishlists... and some of the stuff often carries over for birthday gifts later in the year as well. Anyway... here are their "wishes."

• ds10:

several remote control items

some Lego stuff

a board game (How Things Work)

a nice music stand

a book

movie tickets

Triops (dinosaur shrimp)

more items for his fossil collection

• dd7:

bathrobe and slippers

a book

gym rings

an AG doll

a boogie board

a book

a board game (Brain Quest States)

a hop ball

• ds3:

a board game (Cat in the Hat theme)

a book

a swing to hang from a bar in his bedroom doorway

a puzzle

a remote control something

zoo-themed popsicle molds

tape measure

mini-erector set

a foam sword

Edited by zaichiki

my oldest is getting skis and ski boots. We found them on clearance at shop. It was a great deal!

My second dd is getting her own music stand, metronome, an extra set of strings for her violin and maybe a new bow.

My boys are getting Lego Rockband. I will most likely get them some clothes and maybe another type of game, but the video game is their main gift.

What a terrific idea!

Hmmm, I wonder if I could talk dh into something like that?! Sure would make Christmas easier.

We're going on the cruise cause kids are free.

Kids Sail FREE on Select Cruises

*Kids 17 and under sail FREE on most 3-night cruises 1/7/10-4/15/10 and most 4-night cruises 1/10/10-4/11/10, when traveling with two full-fare guests in the same stateroom. Government taxes and fees are not included.

*Kids 17 and under sail FREE on most 10- and 11-night Mediterranean sailings 4/24/10-5/26/10, when traveling with two full-fare guests in the same stateroom. Government taxes and fees are not included.

Two paying passengers must be in the stateroom. Valid for Category 4 through Category 12 staterooms only.

This offer applies to new reservations only. No refunds apply to anyone already paid in full and within cancellation penalty period. Anyone outside of the penalty period would have to be rebooked at current rates. Money can be transferred from the existing reservation to the new one. However, you may lose your stateroom and dining time.

Thanks to Small World Vacations for info.

To book the Kids Sail FREE offer,please contact a travel agent who specializes in Disney travel, and request booking code KFO.

This is from mousesavers.com and I booked my cruise myself.

So far-ds6 wants the Star Wars sheets from Pottery Barn, and of course, everything else just Legos!

Dd9 wants some Playmobil and a Swiss Army knife.

I love the tool box idea for ds6! I have lots of ideas for things to buy them, but I hope to make or put together a couple gifts for them.

Thanks for this great thread! Inspirational!

We bought plane tickets to Mexico and rented a house for a week.

I've wanted to do this for years--take all of the money we spend on gifts and spend it on a family experience. We had a windfall this year that made it possible.

The children will get stockings with candy, sunscreen, flip-flops and a packing list. We'll fill the traditional book basket with travel games and puzzle books, an English-Spanish dictionary and a travel guide for Puerto Vallarta.

I can't WAIT!

Cat

Both kids will be getting inexpensive digital cameras as their main presents. DS11 will also get books, a DSlite or computer game, and a big Lego set I got on sale last year. DD7 is getting books, a Mulan doll, and dress-up stuff (I always grab a few princessy costumes for 75% off or so in the after-Halloween clearance sales). I'll probably also knit them each something, and I fill their stockings with little stuff like card games, small toys, sugarless gum, chocolate coins, etc.

One tradition I started a few years ago is buying them each a really nice Christmas ornament, and writing their name and the year somewhere on the bottom. I try to choose things that are relevant to the child and/or the year (e.g. camping-related ornaments the year we bought our Airstream and first went camping; dinosaur ornaments for DS the future paleontologist, etc.). When they eventually leave home they'll each have a set of special ornaments to take with them.

Another tradition I started a few years ago is that instead of buying presents for my nieces & nephews, I make a donation to Heifer International in their names, and send them an ornament that represents the gift (like a duck, goose, rabbit, or whatever). I ask my siblings to make a donation in lieu of sending presents to my kids as well.

Jackie

I found the cutest "Hungry Caterpiller" quilt fabric last week so I'm going to stitch that up for DD2. I've also bought her a couple of books and some wooden blocks. I'm half way through a hook rug of a lighthouse for ds who'll be 11 months. I found a matching lighthouse stained glass hanging thingo at the market, so guess what theme we're going to decorate his room with when we buy? (Hopefully next year!) I also got him a few books and some toy animals.

:)

Rosie

What is a Hess truck?

They are sold at Hess gas stations, and every year in November, a new truck is released. They are great for kids (well made, with sounds and lights,) yet lots of adults collect them, too. We buy two every year -- one for ds to play with, and another to hide away until he grows up and wishes he'd taken better care of his Hess trucks. :tongue_smilie:

They usually cost around $20.00, and IMO are an excellent value.

Cat

I picked up some Sugar Creek Gang movies for dd, and a quilting book for kids. Think I'll fill a sewing box for her, too. Thanks for the idea!

For everyone, I'm getting MarioKarts for the Wii. We enjoyed that last spring at someone's house.

Not sure for the boys. They both want new roller blades...

Edited by Tina