Menu

Favorite Classical Homeschooling blogs...ones with lots of details?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I won't mention what made me think of this, but...

I've seen a few posters who do rigorous classical and blog about it. I'm very interested in bookmarking those blogs for reference and inspiration. What are your favorites? Feel free to toot your own horn! :001_smile:

My blog is more towards a comedic bent than, say, Patchfire's, but we're using a classical curriculum (excluding Latin, though we're adding a classical roots vocab study program). Linked in my sig. I blog 3-5 times a week, do weekly posts on secular topics for Secular Thursday, and talk about our curricula pretty extensively.

In my experience, most of the homeschool mothers who are really rigorously educating their children using classical methods do not have the time (or desire) to blog about the day to day details. They're too busy teaching! Now there are some fantastic, inspiring blogs out there by mothers who are giving their children rich educations, but I'm not sure some of them would be placed into the "classical" box. I think of Linda Fay's blog http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/ which is no longer being added to. It's amazing, but I suppose technically it's Charlotte Mason (who is classical if you ask me).

Blogs that challenge me and that I read regularly for ideas about education (call it classical or otherwise) are Angelina's http://angelinainlouisiana.blogspot.com/

Andrew Kern of the CiRCE Institute

http://quidditycirce.wordpress.com/

and then I tend to follow the links in their sidebars to other thoughtful, like-minded educators (homeschool and private school).

Jami

In my experience, most of the homeschool mothers who are really rigorously educating their children using classical methods do not have the time (or desire) to blog about the day to day details. They're too busy teaching!

I can't believe that even the most rigorous of curricula would require 24/7 teaching. Do you really think rigorous homeschoolers don't have a single moment of free time? We start early and finish by the afternoon, which leaves quite a bit of time for other things. I usually update my blog after my kids have gone to bed, during lunch or nap time, or during times they're out of the house for activities w/ other friends or family members.

We can have a life outside of our children and outside of homeschooling, while still ensuring their education has both depth and breadth.

In my experience, most of the homeschool mothers who are really rigorously educating their children using classical methods do not have the time (or desire) to blog about the day to day details. They're too busy teaching!

I probably don't blog as in-depth as what you're talking about, but for me, blogging gives me a chance to "talk things out" outside my head, to think things through, and to also model the importance of writing skills when I go for posting something more thought-out with a complete thesis and everything.

I can't believe that even the most rigorous of curricula would require 24/7 teaching. Do you really think rigorous homeschoolers don't have a single moment of free time? We start early and finish by the afternoon, which leaves quite a bit of time for other things. I usually update my blog after my kids have gone to bed, during lunch or nap time, or during times they're out of the house for activities w/ other friends or family members.

We can have a life outside of our children and outside of homeschooling, while still ensuring their education has both depth and breadth.

No, of course not! BUT, those women whom I most admire tend to read a lot (to prepare to teach their students or to improve their own minds), garden, cook, knit, etc. Some teach at coops or online. They just aren't on the computer as much as I am! ;) Or *if* they blog, it's just not about the day-to-day of homeschooling (I think I said that), it's about books, pictures, music, life. KWIM? Not about which Latin curriculum they use or what the day's lesson covered.

And I'm not saying that those who do blog who place themselves in the "rigorous classical" box aren't teaching enough or have too much free time. No criticism was meant, I was only thinking of specific women that *I* hope to be more like in my homeschooling or those whose blogs I read and enjoy.

Edited by Jami

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I haven't been posting much lately. I *want* too, but life is crazy.

Mine does have a lot of curriculum and day to day detail, though. The wonderful ladies Jami is referring to have more energy than I do ;-)

Anyway, the link is in the sig.

Oh, I've been spying on you ever since I read in some thread that you were doing TOG secularly. :D You're blog is full of very helpful information. I do enjoy the detail. Thanks from a lurker. :001_smile:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
In my experience, most of the homeschool mothers who are really rigorously educating their children using classical methods do not have the time (or desire) to blog about the day to day details. They're too busy teaching! Now there are some fantastic, inspiring blogs out there by mothers who are giving their children rich educations, but I'm not sure some of them would be placed into the "classical" box. I think of Linda Fay's blog http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/ which is no longer being added to. It's amazing, but I suppose technically it's Charlotte Mason (who is classical if you ask me).

Thanks for these great links! I too am disappointed that Linda Fay's blog is no more. She's starting another site though, I think.

I will agree that CM is a form of classical, especially since it's my aim. :001_smile:

I also agree that a lot of the moms who are in the trenches with rigorous classical probably don't have the time to blog (probably even more true the older their kids are, as the amount and intensity of reading increases). Those who do make time are probably exchanging some other hobbies and interests* for the connective and creative outlet of blogging, and I'm grateful to them for it!

*I am in no way implying that those who blog have no outside interests. I do not wish to offend anyone who blogs and quilts and gardens and raises horses and volunteers at the library and teaches at co-op and trains for marathons and does stints with the Peace Corps...

:D

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I haven't been posting much lately. I *want* too, but life is crazy.

Mine does have a lot of curriculum and day to day detail, though. The wonderful ladies Jami is referring to have more energy than I do ;-)

Anyway, the link is in the sig.

Oh your blog definitely counts, Lynx! I should have included it. :D

We're rigorous classical homeschoolers, and I have a blog, but I only post about quarterly. :D It is full of book lists and my random thoughts on classical homeschooling. It's in my signature.

You're one I was thinking of, a fantastic blog of resources, but you haven't blogged really recently (I don't think) and I don't remember seeing "day in the life" type posts on yours. But I LOVE your book lists! :)

You're one I was thinking of, a fantastic blog of resources, but you haven't blogged really recently (I don't think) and I don't remember seeing "day in the life" type posts on yours. But I LOVE your book lists! :)

Ironically (if you read one of the other threads,) I don't post many specific details of what we do each day, because a lot of people form my church and homeschool friends IRL visit it, and I don't want to be judged. :D

I'm :lol: at this exchange, after all of the recent threads:

Dd (13 yo) just walked in the living room, after cooking dinner and doing all of the dishes, and said, "Permission requested to go upstairs and do homework until my hand falls off, my queen." (She's totally kidding.)

Ironically (if you read one of the other threads,) I don't post many specific details of what we do each day, because a lot of people form my church and homeschool friends IRL visit it, and I don't want to be judged. :D

I'm :lol: at this exchange, after all of the recent threads:

Dd (13 yo) just walked in the living room, after cooking dinner and doing all of the dishes, and said, "Permission requested to go upstairs and do homework until my hand falls off, my queen." (She's totally kidding.)

You can't win either way, eh?

Draconian or slacker, someone will have your head. :tongue_smilie:

We're rigorous classical homeschoolers, and I have a blog, but I only post about quarterly. :D It is full of book lists and my random thoughts on classical homeschooling. It's in my signature.

Angela, I discovered your blog a couple of weeks ago. There is so much great information there. Any chance of a new post soon?:D

Sorry. Should have finished reading the other posts. You've already been asked that question.

Edited by swimmermom3
Writing before thinking, as always.

Just wanted to plug Deanna's blog (Narrow Gate Academy). I've learned alot from it and have book marked it for future reference. If you feel so inclined, you can check out my blog. We are becoming more and more WTM purist as time goes by :). I haven't done much more than weekly reports lately because I'm recovering from an emergency appendectomy and dealing with the beginning stages of pregnancy, but once I feel better I'll be back to regular blogging. I usually try to have a post about science and weekly report each week and then add in my thoughts/struggles as time goes on!

Angela,

I tried to leave a comment on your blog, and I couldn't. I clicked on comments, and then post a comment and I had a comment field and then blank page...just wanted you to know. Maybe it's my browser, I'll try to go back and try again.

Just wanted to say that I could relate to your post about knowing yourself and planning, I love to research and plan but waste so much time and have real trouble executing that plan. I went with pre-packaged this year, too- and I agree, while I would have used some other books or done things a little different, my time is worth much, and I've had a few surprises-books/projects I would not have planned but I really enjoyed.

anyways, I enjoyed your blog!

Angela,

I tried to leave a comment on your blog, and I couldn't. I clicked on comments, and then post a comment and I had a comment field and then blank page...just wanted you to know. Maybe it's my browser, I'll try to go back and try again.

Just wanted to say that I could relate to your post about knowing yourself and planning, I love to research and plan but waste so much time and have real trouble executing that plan. I went with pre-packaged this year, too- and I agree, while I would have used some other books or done things a little different, my time is worth much, and I've had a few surprises-books/projects I would not have planned but I really enjoyed.

anyways, I enjoyed your blog!

Jenny,

Thank you for updating me about not being able to comment. I had no idea! (I have now fixed that problem!) Your kind words are greatly appreciated. It's nice to know that I'm not alone out there! :)

BTW--I stopped by your blog. LOVE it! I'll look forward to visiting again for your updates.

I would consider our school to be rigorous classical. I try to blog at least 3 times a week.

I loved some of the things you had to say - particularly in your post, "Logic Stage History: researching and writing, part 2." Would you be interested in submitting that one to the Classical Homeschooling Carnival?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Thanks everyone! You have some valuable information! I've toyed with the idea of starting a blog to chronicle our classical (CM/WTM) education from the beginning, mostly as a scrapbook and something for me to reflect on later. Still reflecting on that. Your blogs are very inspirational.

Oh, this should be great! I do love the CM Carnival!

I'm hoping so: I love the CM carnival too, but I've been wishing for something that was a bit more WTM-focused. There isn't much submitted yet for the first edition, so you'll have to write something and help make it great!