Menu

I just re-read (for the 3rd time) the 17 page long HS thread about where have all the rigorous/classical WTM'rs gone (from last year or so). Thank you, thank you ladies for bringing it back to my attention! It really inspired me. Honestly, I need more stringency right now... I am noticing some laziness accompanied by slick justification (in me, not my dc). LCC is so good for us and I am sold on it, but honestly there are days when it sits on the shelf next to WTM and I find myself putting off the next Latin for tomorrow, waiting until winter to start that book (that we should have began last month), etc. etc. It is true that I have reasons for this, but also true that I could do better.

There was another thread that talked about this, but I can't find it. It talked about not excusing our lack of work, about keeping the bar high. Perhaps it was this summer? Or in a thread this summer someone linked to it?

If you know, or remember another thread that had similar encouragement, do list it here, pretty please? I am intending to home school through high school, and we won't make the goals I think we can unless we *work* at it. Where is a smiley that is getting a good, swift, kick in the behind?

Can you link to the original thread? :001_smile:

Sorry! I should really post when I am awake! :)

Here is is. It was linked in the currently-hot "I don't get it" thread.

I not so interested in the opinions of what is/ is not classical... what I really got from it was a renewed desire to clarify my goals as an educator and work diligently towards them.

I will also add that the linked thread is as fine an example of wit, kindness, logic and understanding as you will see on a forum. I was quite ashamed of myself as I thought of my many "one-off" type answers. Kudos to the participators of that discussion, may we all attain your grace!

I am looking at you like this: :toetap05:

I am telling you that you'd better do your work or your kids will grow up like this: :biggrinjester:

I expect you to react like this: :gnorsi:

And if you don't, I will do this to you: :smash:

And you will spend the rest of your life regretting your naughtiness and doing penance like this: :banghead:

:D

Rosie

I am telling you that you'd better do your work or your kids will grow up like this: :biggrinjester:

And you will spend the rest of your life regretting your naughtiness and doing penance like this: :banghead:

Rosie

LOL Rosie, have I told you lately how awesome you are?? :grouphug: :D

Maybe it's because people with high standards get shouted at, more often than not. It's just not worth it to make people mad who are really just looking for excuses for not holding themselves accountable and have no interest in reaching even mediocre standards.

Ahem.

What's even more boggling is that the PS system does so much worse, on average. That never ceases to amaze me.

Rosie

hehehe Rosie, you know sometimes i need those :D

I not so interested in the opinions of what is/ is not classical... what I really got from it was a renewed desire to clarify my goals as an educator and work diligently towards them.

I will also add that the linked thread is as fine an example of wit, kindness, logic and understanding as you will see on a forum. I was quite ashamed of myself as I thought of my many "one-off" type answers. Kudos to the participators of that discussion, may we all attain your grace!

Wow! That thread is such an eye-opener (and kick in pants) in so many ways. I'm only about half way through the thread but it is certainly making an impression on this progressively lazy mum :blush5:. Reading those posts is bringing back memories of the old board where I was just starting out with homeschooling and would read the posts of the "rigorous" homeschoolers (who were at that time a definite majority) and just think "wow, can I really do that too?" I'm also realising that my standards have slipped somewhat over the last four years and I'm feeling inspired all over again :001_smile: Time to get the kids into bed and pull out TWTM for another read.

Rosie

I wish I could use this as my screen saver!

I've had periods of time when we haven't been meeting our goals, in almost 100% of the cases I'm the problem. I've done a few things over the years to help us stay the course, the best decision I made for us was to move any courses that we weren't getting done to the beginning of the day. Along the same vein, I've switched our curriculum in some cases to items easier to implement. I may think curricula A, B, C, D, E, F, G are fabulous, but if they are all high maintenance we won't be able to stay the course. So even if I love course E sometimes something has to give and I use what I consider second best. It's fine, really. I also plan ahead more, I make sure all the items needed for the week are available, something as mundane as make a copy used to back us up. :001_rolleyes: My oldest corrects his own work in many subjects, of course I go over it with him. And just like dieting I give myself some grace, just because one day went down the tubes for various reasons doesn't mean the whole week is shot.

HTH :001_smile:

Thanks for the kick!!

I agree and was shocked the other day when talking to a "seasoned" home schooling Mom. She is using a Literature I recommended but said it has been a total flop. Now, this is LL so I'm not sure that it is ala TWTM, but I like the literature recommendations.

The discussion went like this. "How is LL working for you? It was a total disaster for us because my son (12th grader and my son is in 9th) read four pages of the "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin" and refused to read any more of the book. How are you getting your son to read this."

"He didn't know he had that option. If it is assigned, he just does it." I answered.

Now, I was just blown away that she was allowing her student to stop reading something because it was boring or too hard. I have never given mine that option because I truly believe learning is hard work. I guess I was glad that my guys have obediently "learned" when asked. I couldn't imagine letting them quit a book because of these reasons.

Though I don't adhere to the TWTM 100%, I come really close. I do need the kick in the butt to keep going but this conversation made me realize how truly different classical education can become.

Rosie

You made my morning. My very, very no good, horrible, bad morning.

Rosie, you are awesome! That was really funny!

This is what I use as my "kick in the butt" reading. :D

http://mentalmultivitamin.blogspot.com/2007/08/its-that-time-again.html

Mmv is always a wonderful kick in the butt for me, too! It all begins with me and Speaking Practically are seasonal must reads for me. :-)

The discussion went like this. "How is LL working for you? It was a total disaster for us because my son (12th grader and my son is in 9th) read four pages of the "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin" and refused to read any more of the book. How are you getting your son to read this."

"He didn't know he had that option. If it is assigned, he just does it." I answered.

Yes! It always astounds me when someone says they can't get their child to do their work. Our children do their work or are disciplined. There is no option about it.

OP: Your children are older than mine, so take this with a grain of salt ;), but I find it easiest for me to keep on keepin' on when I have daily schedule. I keep a schedule for each of the children in Excel, which I update each Friday for the following week. Here's one from last year. It helps me to really stay on track and get done what needs to get done to accomplish our homeschooling goals for our family. I am naturally very lazy and if I don't have a schedule, I'd spend all morning here or cleaning out a closet or reading the newspaper and drinking coffee or.... [fill-in-the-blank]:) My children love their schedules. I think it helps them know what we're doing for the day, week, etc. They have been known to prod me to do X because it was on the schedule, even if I would have been just as happy to let it go for the day.

HTH! :001_smile:

I've had periods of time when we haven't been meeting our goals, in almost 100% of the cases I'm the problem. I've done a few things over the years to help us stay the course, the best decision I made for us was to move any courses that we weren't getting done to the beginning of the day. Along the same vein, I've switched our curriculum in some cases to items easier to implement. I may think curricula A, B, C, D, E, F, G are fabulous, but if they are all high maintenance we won't be able to stay the course. So even if I love course E sometimes something has to give and I use what I consider second best. It's fine, really. I also plan ahead more, I make sure all the items needed for the week are available, something as mundane as make a copy used to back us up. :001_rolleyes: My oldest corrects his own work in many subjects, of course I go over it with him. And just like dieting I give myself some grace, just because one day went down the tubes for various reasons doesn't mean the whole week is shot.

HTH :001_smile:

I agree!

I find that having a goal in mind and having it in writing with a plan of execution is, for us, the best way of making sure we don't let things slide. We also have a firm rule that unless there are major problems, ALL the scheduled work must be done the day assigned and it will be graded too. Anything left undone will be done on the weekend. I think that having said this, it isn't something that would work for everyone. I'm just wired toward micromanagement and I love my schedules. Lucky for me, the children and my college student are all jr. micromanagers too and relate to the schedule. :) However, I've seen hs'ers make very elaborate schedules and simply ignore them or let things slide for various reasons and I think it just comes down to them needing other forms of motivation. Curriculum and the classical method is something I've always been serious about. We adhere to a fairly close interpretation of it but I leave enough leeway for adjusting as I see fit. As for staying the course, for example, I don't really relish Classical Writing Homer these days but since it is on the schedule and I use a good portion of my weekend preparing for it, I know it MUST be done. I might sound like a slave to my schedule and that is probably a pretty accurate assessment, but like some folks use motivational books or sites to keep they on the classical path I have successfully brainwashed myself into thinking the sky will fall if we don't keep to the schedule. :) Hey, whatever works right?! :D

Rosie

Rosie: THANKS!

The truth is that homeschooling the classical way is difficult. You have to put your nose to the grindstone and stick with it. Am I perfect in this regard? Not at all. But it took me a couple of years to realize that all those early presumptions about homeschooling were WRONG if you are serious about classical homeschooling. I have to be a step ahead in their learning. If that means that I spend my spare time reading Beowulf so that I can discuss it with my students next week, then that is what I will spend my spare time doing. If it means spending all afternoon each and every Sunday correcting papers, lesson planning, and making photocopies, then that is what I will be spending my Sunday afternoons doing. (Actually, my kids don't mind it - they know that means freezer pizza for dinner! LOL)

I agree. I think, as someone said in one of the other linked threads, it is a disservice that the myth of, "you can do so much better than ps in less time," is perpetuated so often. Teaching all subjects well for three grade levels all by myself takes TIME. It is a full-time job with overtime, easily.

Sure, the average output of the public school is poor, but for the average homeschooled student (involved, educated parents, decent nutrition, no learning delays, middle to upper-middle class,) the results are not so bad in PS. So I am not "competing" with average public school students. We are competing with a good suburban school with programs I can't provide on my own and teachers who only have to teach one or two subjects all year. I know many homeschoolers IRL who were shocked to put their dc into school in 3rd-8th grade and find out that they were behind. "Everyone always said they would be ahead of public school, no matter how little I did" they cry to me.

Anyway, what I have on my side are: classical methods, a higher interest than a non-related teacher would have, one-on-one attention, a culture of education in our home, and God's promises (He called me to this, He will provide what I need.)

:lol::lol: I needed this!!!!

(Can you just pack up and move in with us?)

Rosie

To all who have responded so far:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

It is honestly a shock to realize this is a full time job. Literally- 40+ hours a week if I am doing it right (instruction hours plus the planning/prep). I need to let myself off the hook on other things (home made stuff, clean house, etc.) and realize that I am a mom with a full time job, no different than my best friend who works in town. One cannot do it all, and education is the priority here.

I am now going to take my sore behind and get back to math :).

I don't think I can say thank you enough. I am completely inspired.

I posted in that original thread. :D

Okay -- here goes:

Homeschooling is hard work. It is HARD WORK. And the sooner you realize that, the better off both you and your students will be.

There was a thread the other day asking something like, "What do you know NOW about homeschooling that you didn't know THEN?" I was going to reply something about how I had heard all the time about how efficient homeschooling is, that you can get so much more done in less time, that you can galavant around the countryside doing field trips three times a week, that you can spend all day long making homemade soap if you want... etc.

The truth is that homeschooling the classical way is difficult. You have to put your nose to the grindstone and stick with it. Am I perfect in this regard? Not at all. But it took me a couple of years to realize that all those early presumptions about homeschooling were WRONG if you are serious about classical homeschooling. I have to be a step ahead in their learning. If that means that I spend my spare time reading Beowulf so that I can discuss it with my students next week, then that is what I will spend my spare time doing. If it means spending all afternoon each and every Sunday correcting papers, lesson planning, and making photocopies, then that is what I will be spending my Sunday afternoons doing. (Actually, my kids don't mind it - they know that means freezer pizza for dinner! LOL)

Well, I seemed to have run off my mouth, haven't I? I don't mean to scare off any newbie classical homeschoolers, but if you are serious about doing this, then you need to make the committment to excellence and put the plan into motion. If that means your WTM forums post count will be lower because of t, then so be it. :D

Best wishes in your homeschooling journey!

:iagree: I'm so with you there! I remember the conversations....I could imagine our children running with streamers in fields of blooming wild flowers because we had so much free time....screeeeeeeeeech.....{hear the record scratching into the real world}. I spend a considerable amount of time preparing, grading, teaching, following up. I love it and wouldn't change a thing, I just wish I would have known a little earlier on. It would have prepared me better and I wouldn't have struggled with the "Why is this taking so long? What am I doing wrong?" The truth is, we're doing a lot right and it takes forever, but in the end, we'll meet our goals head on and be ready for anything the future brings...anything :)

:iagree: I'm so with you there! I remember the conversations....I could imagine our children running with streamers in fields of blooming wild flowers because we had so much free time....screeeeeeeeeech.....{hear the record scratching into the real world}. I spend a considerable amount of time preparing, grading, teaching, following up. I love it and wouldn't change a thing, I just wish I would have known a little earlier on. It would have prepared me better and I wouldn't have struggled with the "Why is this taking so long? What am I doing wrong?" The truth is, we're doing a lot right and it takes forever, but in the end, we'll meet our goals head on and be ready for anything the future brings...anything :)

Wow, this really makes me feel better. I have been having these exact thoughts about why our days end up so long. I know there is a lot of dawdling we could cut down on, but I'm not sure even that would take a ton of time off the day. Now I know it's not just me. Hooray! :tongue_smilie:

Holly

Happygrrl, if a swift kick is what you desire, so be it.:D However, I would prefer to send chocolate, coffee, wine, whatever, or at least :grouphug: as a thank you for posting the link. (Softie slacker that I am.) The thread is a gem.

I agree. I think, as someone said in one of the other linked threads, it is a disservice that the myth of, "you can do so much better than ps in less time," is perpetuated so often. Teaching all subjects well for three grade levels all by myself takes TIME. It is a full-time job with overtime, easily.

Sure, the average output of the public school is poor, but for the average homeschooled student (involved, educated parents, decent nutrition, no learning delays, middle to upper-middle class,) the results are not so bad in PS. So I am not "competing" with average public school students. We are competing with a good suburban school with programs I can't provide on my own and teachers who only have to teach one or two subjects all year. I know many homeschoolers IRL who were shocked to put their dc into school in 3rd-8th grade and find out that they were behind. "Everyone always said they would be ahead of public school, no matter how little I did" they cry to me.

Anyway, what I have on my side are: classical methods, a higher interest than a non-related teacher would have, one-on-one attention, a culture of education in our home, and God's promises (He called me to this, He will provide what I need.)

Angela, "disservice" is really an understatement. I'll admit it. I bought the myth at the start of this year. I cut our hours down to 5 a day. We're back up to about 6.5. I can not accomplish our goals on less time. We have an excellent middle school in our area. It would be so much easier to put my ds there, but it wouldn't be right. I have worked part-time while pregnant with a toddler and attending grad school. That seems undemanding compared to teaching one full-time middle school student and tutoring two high schoolers in math. The hands-on teaching is 8 hours per day plus at least an additional 2 in preparation and self-education. I don't ever remember working so hard and feeling so ignorant.

Happygrrl, you and I have been reading the same threads, and having similar thoughts! I was going to start a thread asking everyone to post their favorite resources for that "kick in the butt" motivation that we (or at least I) need from time to time.

Whether it's a post/thread here, an online article, or an entire book, I would really love to hear what resources people turn to when their motivation is running low.

I know that for me, the first three chapters of LCC (I have the original, but I'm hoping for the second edition for Christmas) are hugely helpful when I am feeling burned out or wondering if I am doing the right thing. They're a pretty quick and easy read, and a real pick-me-up.

I appreciate those who mentioned Mental Multi-Vitamin. I look forward to browsing there.

Any others?

Edited by GretaLynne

Here's a quote I collected a long time ago about staying in gear:

"That's when I discovered that, for me personally, going off on little "rabbit trails" turns into getting lost on backroads of meaningless information. I decided I need to stick to the highway!"

This has helped keep me from buying the newest thing and always changing my mind. I decided long ago to just keep plugging along. Daily drip, drip, drip. I've learned that routine answers so many of my problems.

Whether it's a post/thread here, an online article, or an entire book, I would really love to hear what resources people turn to when their motivation is running low.

I like to listen to talks from the ACCS, CiRCE, and Veritas Press conferences, expecially CiRCE.

I did a few Classical Conversations practicums this summer, and that was also very motivating and comforting. I met a lot of moms who are working really hard to classically educate (themselves and their dc) well.

I am so there with you. I remember hearing 2 hours was like 5 in ps so I wondered what we were going to do with all our free time.:rofl:

I spend every Sunday checking and doing the next week's lesson plans. I carry my Kindle with me all the time loaded with the classics my dc's are reading. My free time is for my dc's prep but I wouldn't really have it any other way.

I posted in that original thread. :D

Okay -- here goes:

Homeschooling is hard work. It is HARD WORK. And the sooner you realize that, the better off both you and your students will be.

There was a thread the other day asking something like, "What do you know NOW about homeschooling that you didn't know THEN?" I was going to reply something about how I had heard all the time about how efficient homeschooling is, that you can get so much more done in less time, that you can galavant around the countryside doing field trips three times a week, that you can spend all day long making homemade soap if you want... etc.

Well, I seemed to have run off my mouth, haven't I? I don't mean to scare off any newbie classical homeschoolers, but if you are serious about doing this, then you need to make the committment to excellence and put the plan into motion. If that means your WTM forums post count will be lower because of t, then so be it. :D

Best wishes in your homeschooling journey!

:iagree:

Couldn't agree more! Once we hit Middle School the school days got a lot longer and weekends are spent preparing lessons for the next week. I fondly remember the days when we used to get done by noon and had time for lots of time for non-academic pursuits. But college looms in a few short years for our girls and we find we spend longer at home in study. Hard work and planning do pay off when it comes time to apply for scholarships and college entrance. You only get the chance to prepare them for a short time.

There's quote from here that I have saved ... it keeps me from running off on every new fad that comes along:

Sometimes we get bogged down in the day to day specifics and lose sight of the goal. The most helpful thing I've ever done is continually ask myself "why?" about every single textbook and/or program. Why do I want to do that program? And here's the most important question ... What foundation is it laying for our next level? If it honestly and clearly doesn't play a role as a stepping stone to our final goal, then I have to walk away from it." ~Robin in TX

This thread was just what I needed today. Our days have grown longer as DD has entered middle school and I have been examining our schedule the past few days wondering why school takes us so long (even my 2nd grader is never done by lunch). Interestingly there have been no complaints from the kids - they are happy and (most of the time) productive, but I have been wondering why our school takes so much longer than other homeschoolers we know. I got caught up in the comparison game (again !:tongue_smilie:) even though most of the homeschoolers we know IRL do not classically educate.

We strive for a rigorous classical education. We spend time on difficult literature, Latin and many other subjects. My kids are learning, they are challenged and they are happy. It is not for everyone, but is what we committed to when we began.

Thanks for reminding me that I set the example for my kids. If I am not focused and am always wondering why things take so long it can become about the time not the learning for the kids too.

As I read this thread today it caused me to reflect on why were are homeschooling classically, why we pulled them out of a wonderful classical school that had teachers FAR more competent than I to teach subjects like Latin, and why we are doing our best to adhere to the principles of classical education. It was just the reminder and encouragement I needed today.

Thanks for sharing the kick! Now I am going back to Latin translations with a better attitude.

Here's a quote I collected a long time ago about staying in gear...

There's quote from here that I have saved ... it keeps me from running off on every new fad that comes along...

I like to listen to talks from the ACCS, CiRCE, and Veritas Press conferences, expecially CiRCE. ...

Thank you Ladies! I really appreciate you taking the time to share these.

Angela, can you listen to these talks online, or do you buy CD's? Well, I guess I can google and find the answer to that, can't I? :) I'm off to do so...

OH my goodness. Fab Fab fab!

OK, I shall confess that I searched for those by tag, because I remembered seeing the tags on them. There is Nan's words of wisdom, jane in nc's input, and chats with janice. They are some of my very favourite posters. So is JennW in SoCal. I think there is a tag for Jenn...jennw's voice of reason.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95286

And ksva, and kathleen are some others that come to mind. Do a search for their posts. Not sure if any of their posts are tagged. Hmm....could be a good project, to go through my favourite posters' posts and tag the philosophical ones!

Thank you Ladies! I really appreciate you taking the time to share these.

Angela, can you listen to these talks online, or do you buy CD's? Well, I guess I can google and find the answer to that, can't I? :) I'm off to do so...

I buy the CiRCE ones as CDs from their site. Dh bought me the set of all the VP teacher trainings for my b-day a few years ago. :D And I downoad the ACCS talks (among others) from Wordmp3.com. I also download a lot of talks from SermonAudio.com, which aren't necessarily homeschool-focused, but are more Bible-study and worldview-type stuff to teach me to teach my dc. I spend a lot of time in the care, so I get to listen to many, many talks. :001_smile:

OK, I shall confess that I searched for those by tag, because I remembered seeing the tags on them. There is Nan's words of wisdom, jane in nc's input, and chats with janice. They are some of my very favourite posters. So is JennW in SoCal. I think there is a tag for Jenn...jennw's voice of reason.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95286

And ksva, and kathleen are some others that come to mind. Do a search for their posts. Not sure if any of their posts are tagged. Hmm....could be a good project, to go through my favourite posters' posts and tag the philosophical ones!

Colleen, um, :blush: how do you "keep track" (not stalking, I promise) of your favorite posters? There has to be a better way than my post-it note stuck to the computer screen, right?:blush: My forum ignorance knows no limits.

Colleen, um, :blush: how do you "keep track" (not stalking, I promise) of your favorite posters? There has to be a better way than my post-it note stuck to the computer screen, right?:blush: My forum ignorance knows no limits.

:lol:

I've read the forums for years, so I have certain posters I gravitate towards - I recognize them now. Actually, now that I am thinking about it, there are several more I could name. Anyway, one day I added some of them to my contacts/friends list, so I wouldn't forget them. Then I can pm any of them with questions I might have. Also, I subscribe to and file certain threads - the ones I keep in files tend to have the posters on them who I read. I keep thinking that this forum is great for keeping things like that.

Happygrrl, you and I have been reading the same threads, and having similar thoughts! I was going to start a thread asking everyone to post their favorite resources for that "kick in the butt" motivation that we (or at least I) need from time to time.

I know that for me, the first three chapters of LCC (I have the original, but I'm hoping for the second edition for Christmas) are hugely helpful when I am feeling burned out or wondering if I am doing the right thing. They're a pretty quick and easy read, and a real pick-me-up.

I appreciate those who mentioned Mental Multi-Vitamin. I look forward to browsing there.

Any others?

Not along the same lines, or even p.c., but the truth is...I look at or listen to my ps friends and what they have to say about their dc and schooling. Honestly, I truly can see a difference in what they are getting (education wise) and the family relationships they have. I am always encouraged that we have different ideas of what's okay and when I see things I don't like or don't wish for, it motivates me to work hard to reach our goals. It's so worth it.

There's quote from here that I have saved ... it keeps me from running off on every new fad that comes along:

Sometimes we get bogged down in the day to day specifics and lose sight of the goal. The most helpful thing I've ever done is continually ask myself "why?" about every single textbook and/or program. Why do I want to do that program? And here's the most important question ... What foundation is it laying for our next level? If it honestly and clearly doesn't play a role as a stepping stone to our final goal, then I have to walk away from it." ~Robin in TX

That's a great quote. I think I remember reading that in a thread:001_smile:

ooohhh goodies! Thank you, Colleen! I have bookmarked these for my pleasure over morning coffee. I'm so glad you are more organized than I in saving the great conversations on this forum. :grouphug: I really do feel warm and fuzzy when I'm here sometimes...and I am So not a warm and fuzzy girl!

found another I kept.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76668

EDIT: wow, I just did some digging around and there are some *really* great threads out there related to classical/neoclassical/rigorous/WTM homeschooling! I had forgotten...

Thanks again, Colleen. What a gift! I need to focus on school and now I can treat myself with a thread for inspiration without getting side-tracked by the fluff-as much as I enjoy some of that fluff.

This is an excellent question Lisa! I have wondered this myself (that must be why I think it is an excellent question! :)). Though if I had filed the post I was looking for in the first place I would not have gained what I have from this thread.

This has been SUCH a timely blessing! Love all of you!!

(Edited to add: I did it! Threads added to files for kicks when needed!)

Edited by happygrrl

This is an excellent question Lisa! I have wondered this myself (that must be why I think it is an excellent question! :)). Though if I had filed the post I was looking for in the first place I would not have gained what I have from this thread.

This has been SUCH a timely blessing! Love all of you!!

(Edited to add: I did it! Threads added to files for kicks when needed!)

Filed the post? I can file the post? Whoever said ignorance is bliss was never on a forum wanting to keep track of favorite posters and threads.:tongue_smilie: I'm not even going to bother with the little blushy guy this time. How do I file posts? I have been copying favorite threads into Word documents. Ugh! Sound of head thudding against desk.

Filed the post? I can file the post? Whoever said ignorance is bliss was never on a forum wanting to keep track of favorite posters and threads.:tongue_smilie: I'm not even going to bother with the little blushy guy this time. How do I file posts? I have been copying favorite threads into Word documents. Ugh! Sound of head thudding against desk.

Maybe there is a better way, but this is what I just discovered (if you had not asked I never would have tried, so I am excited it will help us both!)

Go to "User Control Panel" on the blue forum toolbar. On the left menu go to "Subscriptions" and click on "Edit Folders". You will be given a chance to create and name folders.

When you are in a thread you want to save, go to "thread tools" on the toolbar (of the thread), and subscribe to the post. It will give you the option to put the subscription in to one of the created folders.

I am so excited about this!!! No more trying to remember thread titles for those desperate search moments! Hope I explained that clearly enough...

Maybe there is a better way, but this is what I just discovered (if you had not asked I never would have tried, so I am excited it will help us both!)

Go to "User Control Panel" on the blue forum toolbar. On the left menu go to "Subscriptions" and click on "Edit Folders". You will be given a chance to create and name folders.

When you are in a thread you want to save, go to "thread tools" on the toolbar (of the thread), and subscribe to the post. It will give you the option to put the subscription in to one of the created folders.

I am so excited about this!!! No more trying to remember thread titles for those desperate search moments! Hope I explained that clearly enough...

Oh now I am really going to have to send you chocolate or coffee or whatever! Now just one more question: can you add posters to your contact list so you can keep track? I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to propose friendship to people I've idolized from afar. That's like hitting on Superman. Kwim? I've only utilized the friends option. What happens when you hit "contact"? Does a big red "stalker" flag go up? I should probably go to bed. :tongue_smilie:

Happygrrl, thanks again for the great thread and the forum help. I feel so empowered. There's a forum virgin joke in there somewhere I'm sure-best left unsaid.

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh now I am really going to have to send you chocolate or coffee or whatever! Now just one more question: can you add posters to your contact list so you can keep track? I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to propose friendship to people I've idolized from afar. That's like hitting on Superman. Kwim? I've only utilized the friends option. What happens when you hit "contact"? Does a big red "stalker" flag go up? I should probably go to bed. :tongue_smilie:

Happygrrl, thanks again for the great thread and the forum help. I feel so empowered. There's a forum virgin joke in there somewhere I'm sure-best left unsaid.

You are cracking me up! I think we are both nuts from reading approx. 120 pages of old posts from the highschool board so late into the night. :blink: We are madwomen!

I can't really answer your question, but have felt *exactly* the same way and wondered the same things. So now i know I need to stalk your posts too.