Menu

Cancellation fees at dentist

I understand that they do not want a bunch of appointments booked and no one show up. However, my kids had a dentist appointment this morning....well, I'm sick. I started getting sick yesterday afternoon. I didn't know what it was or how bad it was going to get. This morning I woke up and I just dont feel at 100%. So I called the dentist and they told me they would have to charge me a cancellation fee because it is within 24 hours before the appointment. Even if I had called yesterday, it still would not have been earlier than 24 hours because I didn't even know that I was sick then! The receptionist asked me if I could have someone else bring my kids in. I said no....my husband just took off yesterday and cannot do so again today. And my mom does not want to bring the kids because they do not like going to the dentist (and I completely understand....they are only 2 and 5 years old and will probably cry and want Mommy).

She told me she'd have to charge me a cancellation fee then. I said "Well, I cannot know in advance that I'm going to get sick." She said "Yes, that's true." :confused:

I rescheduled their appointment (for like 3 weeks away...GRRR) and I have no idea whether I'll incur a late fee or not. Next time I guess I'll just plan when I'm gong to get sick. :001_huh:

I just had this exact problem with a dentist we're not going to see anymore. I didn't get sick, but completely forgot to cancel the appointments after I go the reminder call. Then, I got a bill in the mail for $140! They happened to call to reschedule their appointments, and I gave the girl on the phone an earful (in a nice way) about why we aren't coming back, and that I am NOT paying that bill.

This is a dentist that said my four-year-old had six cavities, so I took her to a holistic dentist. He said she only had two. He doesn't use silver fillings or fluoride. The old dentist made the mistake of telling me he recently went to Europe because his daughter's name is Vienna, and he wanted her baptised in Vienna. Then, it seems he's an over-filler! So, I liked the new dentist better and had their teeth cleaned there, but forgot to cancel the old dentist's appointments. He's gotten more than enough money out of me, as he's already put six fillings in my son's mouth and now I wonder if some of they were unnecessary.

I'm sorry you are sick, and I'm sorry about the inconvenience. I think they just have to stick with the rule because no one's going to call in and say, "I need to cancel because we decided to go to a play instead and forgot to cancel the appt."

I am not sure if our office has a cancellation fee, but I've known my dentist since I was 14, so I think once you establish a good relationship there, they may ease up on that.

I understand that they do not want a bunch of appointments booked and no one show up. However, my kids had a dentist appointment this morning....well, I'm sick. I started getting sick yesterday afternoon. I didn't know what it was or how bad it was going to get. This morning I woke up and I just dont feel at 100%. So I called the dentist and they told me they would have to charge me a cancellation fee because it is within 24 hours before the appointment. Even if I had called yesterday, it still would not have been earlier than 24 hours because I didn't even know that I was sick then! The receptionist asked me if I could have someone else bring my kids in. I said no....my husband just took off yesterday and cannot do so again today. And my mom does not want to bring the kids because they do not like going to the dentist (and I completely understand....they are only 2 and 5 years old and will probably cry and want Mommy).

She told me she'd have to charge me a cancellation fee then. I said "Well, I cannot know in advance that I'm going to get sick." She said "Yes, that's true." :confused:

I rescheduled their appointment (for like 3 weeks away...GRRR) and I have no idea whether I'll incur a late fee or not. Next time I guess I'll just plan when I'm gong to get sick. :001_huh:

Call back and talk with the dentist directly. The receptionist is just upholding the rule. What if you came in with swine flu??

Absolutely go in sick. Call her right back and tell her you are bringing the kids in.

Make sure you spend a lot of time up at the desk talking to her (scheduling the next appts./ checking your bill, etc.).

If that's what they want; make sure you give it to them.....sometimes it's the only way to change a policy.

I wish I would have thought more quickly this morning when she told me about the fee.....I would have said "So, you REALLY want me to come in sick? I'm sure that your staff and patients would all appreciate the fact that I'm sick and spreading my germs all around your office. But I'll be in right away to avoid the fee if you still feel the need to charge me for it."

:::sigh::: I wish I was more quick witted LOL. I really don't think she'll actually charge me, but when I go into our rescheduled appointment she will get an earful if they attempt to. I'll be asking to speak to the dentist directly.

I just had this exact problem with a dentist we're not going to see anymore. I didn't get sick, but completely forgot to cancel the appointments after I go the reminder call. Then, I got a bill in the mail for $140! They happened to call to reschedule their appointments, and I gave the girl on the phone an earful (in a nice way) about why we aren't coming back, and that I am NOT paying that bill.

This is a dentist that said my four-year-old had six cavities, so I took her to a holistic dentist. He said she only had two. He doesn't use silver fillings or fluoride. The old dentist made the mistake of telling me he recently went to Europe because his daughter's name is Vienna, and he wanted her baptised in Vienna. Then, it seems he's an over-filler! So, I liked the new dentist better and had their teeth cleaned there, but forgot to cancel the old dentist's appointments. He's gotten more than enough money out of me, as he's already put six fillings in my son's mouth and now I wonder if some of they were unnecessary.

So they charged you 140.00 for two missed appointments (one for each kid)? That's 70.00 per missed appointment! I'm confused about the bolded part...what does that have to do w/ it? Just that he's a man of extremes?

So they charged you 140.00 for two missed appointments (one for each kid)? That's 70.00 per missed appointment! I'm confused about the bolded part...what does that have to do w/ it? Just that he's a man of extremes?

That he obviously has plenty of money. She feels that by paying $140 for NO services rendered is feeding his extravagant lifestyle. And it's ridiculous to charge that much for a missed appt.

I'd write a letter to the dentist explaining what happened. I'd let him know in no uncertain terms how I felt in a direct, nonemotional, businesslike way. If he's a good dentist and manager, he'll call you personally to apologize. If he doesn't, I'd find another dentist. There are too many out there to put up with mini-dictators. You're the customer. As long as you're reasonable, it's their job to accomodate YOU. This is one of my pet peeves....doctor offices with officious help who try to 'parent' their clients. Don't put up with it.

I have had to cancel the morning of the appointment, and I feel bad about it, because when we go, we *all* go, so I know that cuts a big chunk out of that dentist's day. I can understand why some sort of cancellation fee would be reasonable.

However, a "cancellation fee" should not be nearly as costly as the fee for full services rendered. JMO. And if I were a dentist, I would always give a pass on the first cancellation from each client. Yes, it would be great if no fee were charged due to being sick, but how many patients would become "sick" rather than just call to say they for-whatever-other-reason decided not to come that day?

Not trying to play devil's advocate, but I must admit I can see it from the dentists' point of view, especially when one cancellation is actually more than one cancellation (as it would be four or five, in our case, if the whole family were scheduled to go). Of course I wouldn't expect you to show up sick, either, but I just wanted to point out their side of things so you can take it in consideration when you call. Perhaps they have had a lot of cancellations lately and feel they have to be tough, maybe your nice manner will cause them to waive the fee for you. Ask them how you can handle a similar situation in the future, will there always be a charge if you are truly sick?

Our pediatric dentist has a policy of charging $45 for each cancellation that's not within 48 hours of the appointment time. I take all 4 of mine in at the same time, so that would be a lot to have to pay for having NOTHING done! However, I do think they would not charge it IF you canceled due to illness.

If you do recieve a bill for it, I'd inform them that next time you'll just show up sick...swine flu & all! :lol:

I would be looking for a new dentist. Vote with your feet.

Barb

I think the problem comes in that they have no way of knowing if you are really sick. It goes along with the fact that people call in sick to work when they are not really sick either. Our dentist and my daughter's physical therapist have similar policies but don't tend to charge if we reschedule but with the therapist, that can be difficult to do.

I don't care if he's a man of extremes in his personal life, but when it comes to my kids I'm more conservative. Those fillings (in my son's mouth) cost a fortune and now I find out many were unnecessary. People are losing their jobs left and right and he's bragging how he went to Europe to have his daughter baptized? He should brag to his friends, not his patients.

Absolutely go in sick. Call her right back and tell her you are bringing the kids in.

Make sure you spend a lot of time up at the desk talking to her (scheduling the next appts./ checking your bill, etc.).

If that's what they want; make sure you give it to them.....sometimes it's the only way to change a policy.

That is what I would do... and I would talk in a louder than normal voice so that the other patients could hear about how surprised you are that they would not waive the cancellation fee but still had you come in for your appointment even though you have the "Swine Flu". :lol: I'm bad...

I have had to cancel the morning of the appointment, and I feel bad about it, because when we go, we *all* go, so I know that cuts a big chunk out of that dentist's day. I can understand why some sort of cancellation fee would be reasonable.

My dh and kids' dentist will only schedule 2 family members at a time for that reason. They don't charge a cancellation fee for illness, but they don't want 4 appts cancelled at once. The good thing about it is that if one person is sick, we can just have someone else go in the sick person's place.