Menu

teaching to Read and the NY accent

mlgbug

I'm from Long Island, and there were a whole bunch of little things I had issues with when we were teaching phonics! I think the first time I realized I was going to have trouble was when a worksheet used "frog" and "dog" as rhyming words, and the way I say them, they don't rhyme!!

Fortunately, my girls used K12 Phonics and it had video clips with the sounds, so I'd use those. I also tend to use the older kids to model sounds for the younger ones. :lol:

I grew up in New England, and while I don't have a super-strong Boston accent, there are lots of supposed homophones that I pronounce differently from each other:

Aaron and Erin

Mary, merry, and marry

Barry, bury, and berry

aunt and ant

route and root

;)

Here's the funny part.... you're right!! (at least for the first 3) I was born in Oregon...grew up in TX and when I nannied in NJ, people would look at me and say, "Your name isn't 'Kerry' it's 'Carrie' "

Phonetically, they were right. I loved it that the baby I nannied... said "orange" like me...instead of the NJ "awr ang" anyway...it's different...and I taught her the word:-)

Carrie:-)

Well, this *is*confusing! Here, I thought DAWG was Southern and DOG was Yankee-speak. No wonder all the Boston-born sailors in my Read-Aloud rendition of "Captains Courageous" all sound like they're from the South - LOLOLOL!

When my oldest was very young, my Dad told me he had the hardest time rhyming wet and "git" in Dr. Seuss's "Wet. Get. Two dogs get wet." I had a time of that one, myself!

I haven't had a problem with phonics teaching. The few words in OPGTR that she says is pronounced one way, but I say it different, I just told my dd the way we say it and didn't worry about it. Where our accent has been a problem has been in spelling! We have come up against many words that we pronounce so differently than the way they are spelled that it is very hard. We use AAS, and I am so thankful that she draws attention to the regional pronouniations (?, lol), or we would really have a problem! In teaching my dd to spell, I figured out the reason I couldn't spell. I don't tawk rite! :lol:

I grew up in New England, and while I don't have a super-strong Boston accent, there are lots of supposed homophones that I pronounce differently from each other:

Aaron and Erin

Mary, merry, and marry

Barry, bury, and berry

aunt and ant

route and root

;)

Wicket and wicked

Draw and drawers

Bureau and burha

Car and cah

Frappe and milkshake ;)

Soda and soder

California and Californer

I have a problem with my ail sounds.

I say mell, sell, hell instead of Mail, sail, and hail. One time it was raining really badly and I was leaving my friends house and her mom asked me if I was going to be okay driving in that weather. I said "Oh I'll be fine. I've driven through hail before" Well it sounded like I said I've driven through hell before. He mom knew me really well and it took her by surprise because I don't talk like that. She said something and we laughed and I tried to say it correctly but it was a funny mistake.

I have a problem with my ail sounds.

I say mell, sell, hell instead of Mail, sail, and hail. One time it was raining really badly and I was leaving my friends house and her mom asked me if I was going to be okay driving in that weather. I said "Oh I'll be fine. I've driven through hail before" Well it sounded like I said I've driven through hell before. He mom knew me really well and it took her by surprise because I don't talk like that. She said something and we laughed and I tried to say it correctly but it was a funny mistake.

So you've driven on the Beltway around DC?

:lol:

:D at your dawg - I love accents!

I have to make a few alterations to TOPG to account for my 'Strine' accent, eg the word 'past' is presented as a straight simple sounding word, whereas we say it with a long 'ah' sound as if it were R-controlled. Also we're ignoring the section on 'wh' words as we just pronounce them as if they started with w.

We are TOTALLY having a problem here. DS goes to a lovely pre-K program where he is learning ABCs and such. The problem is most Indians do have trouble with the "V" sound. So my son says "wery good" instead of "very good." It sounds cute now, but now so sure how it will sound when he is 30! We try to overemphasize the "v" in order to compensate so we say "VVVVery" so he can hear it. I tried talking to the teachers but they really didn't see the problem!

I grew up in Rhode Island with a pretty thick accent, and we talk fast. We drop R's where they are really supposed to be and sometimes add them where they have no business at all!

I will always and forever eat "Pop Tots", I cannot say Pop Tarts unless I REALLY try.

I am not kidding, but "I just pahked my cah in the yahd".

Everytime I visit my family, I come home (Pennsylvania now), and it takes about a week or so to have most of it wear off. Pop Tots will not wear off though, most everything else does. :lol:

Guest RecumbentHeart

I'm Australian and although have lost a lot of accent after 8 years in the US there are some things that just die hard and it's confusing my son.

I think the R thing is the most problematic .. I leave it out of some places (like the above mentioned "pah-ty" and put it others ("intrusive R" is what I believe it's officially called). I know the R issue throws my husband off regularly. (Him: "There is an AR in there, dear." Me: "I totally pronounced the AH!" :lol: )

I grew up in Rhode Island with a pretty thick accent, and we talk fast. We drop R's where they are really supposed to be and sometimes add them where they have no business at all!

I will always and forever eat "Pop Tots", I cannot say Pop Tarts unless I REALLY try.

Everytime I visit my family, I come home (Pennsylvania now), and it takes about a week or so to have most of it wear off. Pop Tots will not wear off though, most everything else does. :lol:

Are you talking about Pop Tahts?

;)

Aaron and Erin

Mary, merry, and marry

Barry, bury, and berry

aunt and ant

route and root

;)

None of those are homophones, don't get me started! :smilielol5: (see the Saille thread :lol:)

Aaron and Erin

Mary, merry, and marry

Barry, bury, and berry

aunt and ant

route and root

I say mary, merry and marry the same, and barry, bury and berry the same. I say aunt and ant the same, unless I am talking to my dd about their English aunt, who prefers to be called "auntie" (with the English accent--awntie). I say route and root differently--my route is like rout.

Dh teases me about the way I say roof sometimes--ruff.

I grew up in Michigan.

Guest RecumbentHeart

Aaron and Erin

Mary, merry, and marry

Barry, bury, and berry

aunt and ant

route and root

;)

It seems I immigrated to the wrong end of the country. I've spent the last 8 years in the south enduring all kinds of mockery when I could have been living in the north with people that understood me. :glare:

Love it.

I'm from Philly and South Jersey and really do not have much of an accent, more nasally than anything else, but if I get off the phone with my brother back home (who truly sounds like Rocky) my pronuciations turn to:

wudder (water) *this has given me issues in teaching my children to read*

wudder ice, of course:)

yestAday (yesterday)

ah-ight (alright)

I speak very, very rapidly to begin with so just slowing down is probably the hardest thing for me.

(Can I share with you that as a FLoridian now I adore that my kids call me Mama and have gotten such a kick out of their occasional y'all - beats youZ hands down;). And I still slip out an occasional "going down the shore.")

I thought it was just us southern gals who had a hard time teaching our littles to read. My older two sons have had several comments made about the fact that they speak "like Yankees" by others. The only thing I can figure out is from learning to read phonetically. My youngest has one of the thickest southern accents I have heard. Instead of saying "on the floor" he says "own da flow". We are not sure where he got that. He also pronounces "Come here" as one word, "C'mere" :banghead: It seems there is no middle ground at our house.

I was born and raised in NH. I now live in Florida. So, when my yankee comes out, they always joke and recite a t-shirt that I have:

Pahkin ya cah is wicked hahd. Yes, that is how I still say it when I have just gotten off the phone with my mom or brother.

My dh had to teach me how to say bear by pronouncing it bayer as in the asprin. Where I have always pronounced it beeah. :lol:

I am glad to see this thread and to know that I am not the only one. lol:D