Menu

Skinny boy pants? What brands?

My little one is long and lean for his age, and if his pants don't fall off, then they leave him with a case of plumber's butt, hehe. (No offense intended to all the plumbers!) Right now he's wearing a pair of Hanna Andersson's, and they're really severe, just very wide in the waist. But I love the quality, the durability, and the way they span sizes. Any particular places I should look for pants for a skinny boy?

And this is weird, don't even know what it's called, maybe the inseam? He'll have a pair of pants that fits in the leg length, the part from the crotch to the ankles, but it won't have enough from the waist to the crotch. It seems like none of the pants he's had so far fit him quite right. (Walmart, JCPenny's, and an expensive baby brand from a department store, one of those splurge things). I have some overalls from Kohls to use with him, and I'm hoping they fit (since I got them on clearance last fall!). I'm thinking the overalls will at least keep them UP, lol.

Any suggestions on what I'm looking for? I'm thinking that crotch issue means he's long-waisted, right? Or maybe he's just plain skinny? I could check again, but so far he's been in the 50th percentile for weight and 90's for height. He does eat all he wants, lol. He's just a very active boy!

Thanks for any tips!

My little one is long and lean for his age, and if his pants don't fall off, then they leave him with a case of plumber's butt, hehe. (No offense intended to all the plumbers!) Right now he's wearing a pair of Hanna Andersson's, and they're really severe, just very wide in the waist. But I love the quality, the durability, and the way they span sizes. Any particular places I should look for pants for a skinny boy?

And this is weird, don't even know what it's called, maybe the inseam? He'll have a pair of pants that fits in the leg length, the part from the crotch to the ankles, but it won't have enough from the waist to the crotch. It seems like none of the pants he's had so far fit him quite right. (Walmart, JCPenny's, and an expensive baby brand from a department store, one of those splurge things). I have some overalls from Kohls to use with him, and I'm hoping they fit (since I got them on clearance last fall!). I'm thinking the overalls will at least keep them UP, lol.

Any suggestions on what I'm looking for? I'm thinking that crotch issue means he's long-waisted, right? Or maybe he's just plain skinny? I could check again, but so far he's been in the 50th percentile for weight and 90's for height. He does eat all he wants, lol. He's just a very active boy!

Thanks for any tips!

I've got skinny boys and buy all their pants at Sears. They carry Levi's and Lee brands, and both of those have the adjustable waist (the kind with the elastic inside that you pull and button). I buy them at Sears because under their Kidvantage program they will replace them if they get holes in them.

Ooo, that makes sense. Why didn't I think of that!! Probably because I never needed them with dd, lol. Ok, well bummer, I bet HA doesn't make boys pants like that, sniff. These are so cute, with patches on the knees, cuffs that roll... Well now at least I know what I'm looking for, thanks!!!

Ooo, that makes sense. Why didn't I think of that!! Probably because I never needed them with dd, lol. Ok, well bummer, I bet HA doesn't make boys pants like that, sniff. These are so cute, with patches on the knees, cuffs that roll... Well now at least I know what I'm looking for, thanks!!!

If they've got belt loops you could just use a belt. That's what I had to do with my oldest couple of boys until the elastic pull waist became more common. I was able to buy a small braided leather belt at Children's Place when my oldest was a toddler.

I used to buy Gap and Levi brand (with adjustable waist) for ds, they tend to run a little on the thinner side. Old Navy never fit right on my skinny kids.

A great way to help solve this is to go to a store like TJ Maxx or Ross where you can look at several brands in the same rack. It is amazing how much brands vary in sizing and styles.

I have also had great luck at 2nd hand, kid consignment stores, and I prefer this option for denim. They are usually shrunk, soft and broke in by the time they get to the second hand store. I hate to see little kids trying to sit and play in stiff jeans.

Now you've done it. Now I have an excuse to say I HAVE to go to Baby Gap and buy those cute outfits... LOL It's in the big city, but next time I'm that way, I'll have to stop and look. Actually, I think I have a single pair of Gap pants I bought on clearance last year, in the flurry of pregnancy bliss. They had ducks or dogs or something cute on them. I'll have to dig them out and compare how they're cut!

I haven't bought long pants there in awhile, but I always found H&M pants to be designed for the long and skinny--which makes sense, since it's a Swedish company. I don't know if they've Americanized their sizing lately, though. They also generally have adjustable waists.

I'll 3rd or 4th the adjustable waist pants for a skinny boy.

I also just bought my skinny DS a pair of jeans from Kohls. They are the Sonoma brand in a Slim cut. They fit beautifully. I've also had luck with Levi's Slim cut.

Never had much luck with Old Navy or Gap for him. I think they cut their clothes more generously.

I have a dd, not a ds, but she needs Slim pants with the adjustable waist on top of it - the regulars, even with the adjustable waist, bunch up so she gets pillow butt, or fall down. Regular Slims without an adjustable waist are also too wide.

The most reliable place I've found these is Gap and Old Navy, though I've had sporadic luck elsewhere, like Target. I think the Levi's/Lees others mention can also be found for boys, but I haven't seen them for girls.

Can someone tell me who makes adjustable waists in bigger sizes? We just hit 6 (6 long in some brands) on the length, but ds still wears 2t/3t underwear. He is super skinny! We live in FL and wear shorts most of the time, but he will need new jeans for the 2 cold months, lol.

Can someone tell me who makes adjustable waists in bigger sizes? We just hit 6 (6 long in some brands) on the length, but ds still wears 2t/3t underwear. He is super skinny! We live in FL and wear shorts most of the time, but he will need new jeans for the 2 cold months, lol.

Kohl's Sonoma brand has larger sizes. I just bought my son size 6 jeans there yesterday. They had them in even larger sizes as well.

Children's Place also has a size 6 boys and girls in slim with adjustable waists. It's pretty much all my kids wear (they both wear 6 slim even though they are three years apart), and truly my son still could use some extra length still. I've been thinking of getting some navy flannel and sewing some cuffs on them for the winter.

Kohl's Sonoma brand has adjustable waists for boys, and they're inexpensive. RIght now they're on sale (buy one, get one free, so it's $25/2 pair).

OK, I just went there and tried these and they fit my son. That's really saying something. The Sonoma brand size slim fit my son. :svengo: Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor.

• 4 weeks later...

My friend and I were tired of not finding pants that fit our tall, slim boys, so we decided to start a company that would! Stringbeans Clothing makes pants for boys and girls size 6-14, in truly slim sizes. Visit our site at stringbeansclothing.com. We also make these super cute iron on pant cuffs, so you can lengthen too-short pants.

We spent about 18 months researching sizes and fabrics, and we're very proud of what we've developed. Love to hear from any parent looking to fit their stringbeans!