Menu

What have you bought at a craft fair? Anything? Ever?

There is going to be a "Homeschool Fall Fair" to buy & sell crafts near me in November. I'd love for my girls to have a table and sell things they've made, more for the experience then the money.

But I don't go to craft fairs, I've never bought anything at a craft fair... What have you bought at one? What would you buy?

Part of me thinks I should just go as a shopper...someone has to support these homeschoolers! :)

Christmas tree ornaments

Fleece scarfs, mittens, hats

Baby quilts (rag quilts are popular and fairly easy to make)

Stitchery pillows

Snowmen decorations

Kids craft aprons (I just saw a cute one tonight being sold on a website called Accountable Kids....I tried posting a picture, but it didn't work...it was a cute denim one...but there are many patterns of easy ones you could make)

Recipes in a Jar

Kids Craft or Science Kits--with directions & all materials, packaged a cute way

FWIW, when I go to craft fairs, I'm looking for inexpensive neighbor/piano teacher/type of gifts ($3-4 each), cute/creative things for my kids for Christmas, and snowmen to add to my collection (looking for unique and creatively used materials). And I always buy an ornament or two!

Hope you find something fun to do together--I think it is a great idea for you to do with your kids!

Sounds like fun and a good experience! I like to look around craft shows and imagine someday I'll take the time to be crafty. I don't usually buy things because many items are just for collecting, not using...KWIM?

To support kids I would probably buy something in the $2-$8 range, especially if it was useful or gets used up. Some ideas: homemade soap, soup mix jars, bookmarks, magnets HTH

Have fun participating or being a shopper...you're right that being a supporter is important too!

I like to buy plants, mosaics, dolls clothes, fudge, soap, and today I was drooling over some mosaics which I reluctantly left where they were so I could spend all my money in the US :)

I'd go for something that is not expensive, so perhaps a price point of under $10 for the customer and is a consumable that lots of people use. So soap and/or bath bombs, fudge, chutney and jellies, preserves etc.

I have purchased hand painted Christmas ornaments, bird feeders/houses, hair stuff, jewelry... I don't go to craft fairs all that often, though.

I like to buy plants, mosaics, dolls clothes, fudge, soap, and today I was drooling over some mosaics which I reluctantly left where they were so I could spend all my money in the US :)

We have mosaics! :D

Once I bought a mobile there. A wooden plaque carved with words that were meaningful to me. Candles. Earrings, necklaces. Dolls and wooden toys. Nice serving bowls. I like that homemade pottery stuff. My ex-husband used to provide music for these events and people would often want to trade merchandise for a CD. Once I had to choose something worth about $15 from a table that could have been named What Not To Crochet. Oh, the fugly. So I'd say, avoid crochet. Candles are popular. Oh, and soap. Soap is the best. The only things that sell better than soap are wooden toys.

Not that I bothered to bring any of these things with me when I left my ex-husband. Except the wooden toys, of course.

I suggest making those marshmallow blowing toys. Kids LOVE them, they're cheap and can be decorated cutely.

Food or food mixes are good. The last town jubilee, we bought several dips and a couple soups. They were AWESOME.

science/art kits sound like a good idea.

Another idea would be to have something the kids can make there at the table and take with them. You may need to have a place for things to dry as they finish browsing the fair?

Homebaked dog treats.

Handtowels with little shirt/apron with strings to tie onto a drawer in the kitchen.

Hairbows (but there are SO many of these at stands).

rubberband guns.

Homemade princess crowns and wands. These are super good if you can figure out what I am talking about!!

Beef jerky. Not sure what the regulations would be on this!

I would *live* at a craft fair if I could. :D Simple hand made glycerin soaps are good sellers, especially if you package them in a little basket with some filler and a bow. They can be fancy-looking if you add a small bit of oatmeal or lavender buds. One of the cutest things I've gotten is a simply sewn gingham pillow that has a smaller muslin fabric piece sewn on the front and stenciled with sweet flowers and a Bible verse. I also have a small sign, made from old (looking) wood that was hand painted with the slogan 'Home Sweet Homeschool'. Tie a simple gingham ribbon to a wire hanger and you're set. Another cute sign has a ribbon hanger and was stenciled with the message 'Homeschool In Session'. That's great to hang on the front door so your unexpected guests will think twice before disturbing you. ;) Have fun!

Always peanut butter fudge, there is an old couple who make it fresh and it is sooo, sooo good. I can only by a small piece for if I even attempt to buy a larger quantity to bring home it will be gone before I make it home and I'll have to run 20miles to burn off all those calories. I have purchased soup mixes, soap, embroidered bloomers, ornaments, hair bows, trinkets for dd beaded purse, bracelet, rubber band shooters, stamps, there is one family who makes pecan spreads mixed with cranberries, cherries etc.

One girl at a craft bazaar was selling magnetic bookmarks for a dollar each. My girls and I bought several a piece. I wish I could properly reverse engineer them. They are fabric on one side, card stock on the other, various sizes but about 1" by 5" and then folded in half, fabric on the outside. Then she glued magnet strips at the bottom edges. They work great. The part I can't figure out is how she glued the fabric to the paper. It is completely bonded--no gaps, no clumps of glue. And she was busy cutting up more bookmarks, so I saw that the fabric was already bonded to the paper before she cut them into bookmarks. She did very well!

I don't go to craft fairs often, but I have gotten a baby sling, cloth baby books and handmade wood toys before. The most common items I have seen there are holiday ornaments and homemade soaps, and candles. The big craft fair here is the weekend after Thanksgiving so that probably influences the selection quite a bit.

Thanks for all the ideas!! I'll have to research the making of marshmallow shooters and rubber band guns. If they didn't sell, my kids would certainly play with them. I also like the plaque/sign ideas!

My kids are into fairies & dragons, and my girls can draw them quite well. Here are my ideas that could be decorated with such:

*reusable canvas bags

*black plastic salsa bowls

*plastic drinking cups

*note cards

*glass candle holders

*clip magnets

*coasters

*picture frames

Whatever we didn't sell would be used as presents for the extended family!

One girl at a craft bazaar was selling magnetic bookmarks for a dollar each. My girls and I bought several a piece. I wish I could properly reverse engineer them. They are fabric on one side, card stock on the other, various sizes but about 1" by 5" and then folded in half, fabric on the outside. Then she glued magnet strips at the bottom edges. They work great. The part I can't figure out is how she glued the fabric to the paper. It is completely bonded--no gaps, no clumps of glue. And she was busy cutting up more bookmarks, so I saw that the fabric was already bonded to the paper before she cut them into bookmarks. She did very well!

I had two ideas for you: spray adhesive or fusible fabric webbing. the webbing/interfacing might be too heavy though, I'm having a bit of trouble envisioning this. But I have glued fabric to cardstock successfully with spray adhesive.