Menu

How can help boost the immunity of my girls?

Do the gummy vitamins have any value? My girls will take these but I haven't bought any in awhile. My older dd is old enough now to swallow pills whole so I could get her something else. If not vitamins, would else could I do? My younger dd loves orange juice, strawberrries and apples. She also loves fruit smoothies. They are slightly picky eaters so what else could I add to their list. They both will get lots of outdoor time next month or so (when it cools a little more).

Any advice is much appreciated!!:001_smile:

I'd actually be interested in this also...for all of us. With the presidential panel coming back with serious concerns about H1N1 this fall, including that up to 30-50% of the population could get it and 30,000-90,000 deaths, along with normal fall concerns, I would like to do a little more to protect my family. I'm not an alarmist, but I figure it won't hurt to boost our immune systems a little (mine being weak and a virus being able to throw my dd out of remission).

What is flax seed? Where could I find it?

Thanks!

Health food stores, Whole Foods, and the baking supply aisle of your local grocery store would have it. (Bob's Red Mill is one brand that I can get at my neighborhood grocery store.)

To get the benefit of the seeds you have to grind them up...the outer coating of the seed is so tough that it won't be digested and just moves on through. I grind them in a coffee grinder and sprinkle about a tablespoon on my cereal. (I grind enough for a few days---stored in the refrigerator--and keep the rest of the seeds in the freezer.)

Refined sugar is an immune suppressor. Decrease that and increase fiber (whole, raw fruits, not juices, unless you freshly juice raw fruit and drink it right away), raw veggies as much as possible, filtered water. Reduce stress and increase exercise.

I have no financial interest in the company, but Melaleuca vitamins are supposed to be excellent and I know they've added more and have improved their absorbability (most OTC vitamins are never absorbed because of the binding properties in them that don't dissolve. Children's vitamins can also be high in sugar). I take them myself and have noticed increased energy and better over-all health.

I've read in more than one place that immunity begins in the gut.

Focus on these 2 things, and you'll be on the right track to a healthy gut.

#1 - Good bacteria, either in the form of foods such as yogurt (not the sugary kind), keifer (not the sugary kind), cultured vegetables, or probiotic pills are some good sources of beneficial bacteria. Lots of good information and products can be found on this website: http://www.bodyecology.com/aboutdonna.php

#2 - Food needs to move smoothly through the gut. This can be helped by regularly eating whole grains, fresh fruits, and vegetables.

Refined sugar is an immune suppressor. Decrease that and increase fiber (whole, raw fruits, not juices, unless you freshly juice raw fruit and drink it right away), raw veggies as much as possible, filtered water. Reduce stress and increase exercise.

I have no financial interest in the company, but Melaleuca vitamins are supposed to be excellent and I know they've added more and have improved their absorbability (most OTC vitamins are never absorbed because of the binding properties in them that don't dissolve. Children's vitamins can also be high in sugar). I take them myself and have noticed increased energy and better over-all health.

These are the vits that my kids take during the winter also. Last winter they did not get sick at all. My two oldest have not even had colds in 2 yrs.

Whatever you choose look for gelcaps or chewables, because many 'hard pills' don't dissolve and just pass on through.

Linus Pauling recommends Vitamin D.

"There is considerable scientific evidence that vitamin D has a variety of effects on immune system function, which may enhance innate immunity and inhibit the development of autoimmunity."

We are taking it, as we have heard that it will help protect us from seasonal flues and colds.

In addition to probiotics (which I wholeheartedly agree with), I give my kids elderberry syrup (I like Honey Gardens) and add astragalus to broths, soups, rice and pasta (a couple of root "tongues" in the pot) during cold and flu season. (My kids also chew on them just by themselves, but that may be a weird personality thing)

I just rely on large quantities of fruit and vegetables, in addition to daily exercise. They would normally have juice and a fruit at breakfast (with a gummy vitamin), fruit and a raw veg at lunch, a fruit smoothy in the afternoon and two cooked veggies with supper, in addition to any fruit they might pick up for themselves during the day. They are extremely healthy and rarely pick up any illnesses.

Laura

Do the gummy vitamins have any value? My girls will take these but I haven't bought any in awhile. My older dd is old enough now to swallow pills whole so I could get her something else. If not vitamins, would else could I do? My younger dd loves orange juice, strawberrries and apples. She also loves fruit smoothies. They are slightly picky eaters so what else could I add to their list. They both will get lots of outdoor time next month or so (when it cools a little more).

Any advice is much appreciated!!:001_smile:

An acquaintance who is really hyper about this kind of stuff told me her research showed that one brand of gummy vitamins had some kind of contaminant in it. It may well have been w/i govt guidelines, but she has different standards.

The reason why the 1918 flu virus killed more young people than old people was because of the better immune system response in younger people. The virus was so fast and powerful that it got to the lungs quickly. The immune system got in gear and attacked the virus in the lungs. The lungs are not meant to be the battleground for an immune system attack. The victims' lungs filled with blood and the debris of the immune system battle, and they died.

If the immune system killed the virus before it got to the lungs, great!

A good immune system is a good thing, and I certainly don't think that someone with poor nutrition would be better off than someone with good nutrition. Still I wouldn't want anyone to have a false sense of security, in case this h1n1 really does get bad.

Around here we rely on a mix of what people have already posted. The kids eat a ton of fresh produce, I make sure they make lots of vitamin D, and they get good bacteria from yogurt I make. I have never given them vitamins, but am planning to give vitamin D starting this fall once we are forced back indoors by the weather. My kids do catch colds, but it usually stops there for them. I am always amazed by how many of their friends end up spending half the winter on antibiotics for secondary infections, or just seem to stay sick from October to April.

Is it okay to take several things at once? Such as probiotics and vitamin D and a multivitamin or elderberry syrup, etc? And how much vitamin D and elderberry syrup should kids take? What about adults?

I don't know about the elderberry syrup, but don't take a multivit and vit d together. Multivits contain vit d, and according to our pedi kids are overdosing on vit d because people don't realize it is fat soluble. Getting it from the sun is different than a bottle. Probiotics can be taken no matter what else you are taking.

Don't forget to wash your hands more often. Especially over the next few months as the public school viruses start to make their rounds. We go to gymnstics five days a week so inevitably someone thinks it is okay to show up and cough all over everyone. Lots of little hands touching everything down there. Ruby

I personally am laying odds on vitamin D.

+ a good multi

+ wild salmon oil supplement

I'm sending the kids out regularly now in mid day for 5-10 min (they're very fair) for a bit lof natural vitamin d therapy. My reading indicates that Vit D depletes after about 4 mos of no exposure to UV or supplementation, which puts us into January. (by Oct at my latitude - above 45 - the UV radiation is too weak to stimulate Vit D; above 42 it's Nov-Feb that's the blackout period)

I have elderberry extract but I'm undecided about taking it as there is some controversy about triggering cytokine storm in influenza.

hornblower-I'm interested about the elderberry, and had started a thread about it last night. Is it true that it's okay as a preventative, but not after you have this swine flu? (Apparently the cytokine storm with swine is different than with regular flu, and that's what the elderberry affects.)

Because I'm thinking even taking it as a preventative would start that unwanted cytokine storm that is prevalent with swine flu? :confused:

Would love to hear your thoughts on this!

Here is a list I made up of things we do on a regular basis to help immunity. I wrote them all down the other night to make sure we're being vigilant with them as fall/winter and virus season approaches. We haven't been sick in two years, but we also eat an almost all organic/low sugar/no processed foods/preservatives/artificial colorings and ingredients diet and drink raw milk, in addition to these things. (Caveat-we are far from perfect with diet as mentioned above-we eat occasional cookies, etc- but at least we strive for the best we can do with it. And it has been a process over years.):

-green smoothies every day (TONS of raw veg/fruits-lots of kale, etc. in our Blendtec blender)

-vitamins D, C, E, multi, calcium/magnesium (and I take B complex)

-flax and fish oil

-probiotics (homemade kefir/yogurt)

Thing to have on hand to boost immunity in a crisis:

-extra C

-echinacea

-zinc

-garlic

-Airborne

-raw apple cider vinegar/raw honey mixed in lukewarm water (Google this-EXCELLENT!)

-increase fluids

-gargle with plain water 1x/day and/or saline nasal rinses-both rinse out susceptible germ passages (nose/throat)

I'm also looking into elderberry extract. I do what I can and entrust our bodies into the Lord's hand. Hope this helps someone!

Edited by HappyGrace

HappyGrace - I would refer you to this page

http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116563&highlight=elderberry

where the entire thread is very informative but esp post #4 & #5 show the differing pov's on the elderberry issue.

I'm leaning to leaving my elderberry in the medicine cabinet.

Still deciding about resveratrol.

This is exactly the info I needed to see-thanks! I decided I'm going to leave elderberry out of the mix, I think. We do so many other immune-boosting things, plus our diet in general, and with the mixed opinions on elderberry and H1N1, I don't think I'll do it.